Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Silver Raven said:

I have a ticket for the 20th anniversary touring production of Rent, and then the next day, Kinky Boots.

The Rent website says it stars Danny Harris Kornfeld as Mark, Kaleb Wells as Roger, Skyler Volpe as Mimi, Christian Thompson as Benny, David Merino as Angel, Katie Lamark as Maureen, and Jasmine Easler as Joanne.  I am not familiar with any of them.

That is because the Rent tour is non-equity.  So I doubt any of the actors would be known.  The show is coming through town here in the spring, so I can't say if the cast is any good.  I do know the director though.  He's a great guy.  But I still can't say if the cast is any good... 

It did at one point.  I don't think it's the black mark it once was though.  Equity has lost (or given away, depending on your point of view) a lot of power over the years, so doing non-equity tours probably doesn't keep you from getting your card.

On 16/01/2017 at 11:07 PM, Avocado said:

Thank goodness...but she still seems rather deaf to why this was such a bad move on her part. I watched an interview where she basically said she was threatened out of going...and even the woman interviewing her threw her side-eye and wondered why, as a woman and person of color, she would have accepted in the first place given who Trump is. And then Jennifer threw in at the end that she needed to respect her gay fans and their objections.  ??!?  Oblivious much?

It's hard not to be disappointed in her for treating this like much ado about nothing. I wonder how this will taint her going forward.

Now what's this about a live stream of Holiday Inn and where can I watch it?

Non-equity shows can have really great casts, IMO. It's usually sets and costumes that suffer...

Edited by DisneyBoy

Beth Malone announced that she will star in the title role of The Muny's 2017 production of The Unsinkable Molly Brown. The production will run from July 21-27, and will be directed and choreographed by Kathleen Marshall. The Unsinkable Molly Brown has music and lyrics by Meredith Willson, with additional lyrics and book by Dick Scanlan, based on the original book by Richard Morris. Music adaptation is by Michael Rafter.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Beth-Malone-Will-Lead-Kathleen-Marshalls-THE-UNSINKABLE-MOLLY-BROWN-at-the-Muny-20170123

Just in - the complete cast and creative team for Ambassador Theatre Group's Broadway revival of the New York City Center production of Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine's Pulitzer Prize-winning Sunday in the Park with George has been announced.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Brooks-Ashmanskas-Phillip-Boykin-Robert-Sean-Leonard-Ruthie-Ann-Miles-and-More-Join-SUNDAY-IN-THE-PARK-WITH-GEORGE-on-Broadway-Cast-Complete-20170123

A lot of recognizable names (this isn't everyone)... Erin Davie, Claybourne Elder, Robert Sean Leonard, Ruthie Ann Miles, Ashley Park, Max Chernin, MaryAnn Hu,Michael McElroy, and Andrew Kober. I didn't think that there were that many significant supporting roles in Sunday in the Park.

7 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I didn't think that there were that many significant supporting roles in Sunday in the Park.

Despite its emphasis on two principals, Sunday in the Park with George is a real ensemble show. Every role has important solo responsibilities, both dramatic and musical, with the whole emotional point of Act I being the coming-together of a big group of vivid individuals to be immortalized in the famous painting.

I'm wishing I'd made plans to see this (its limited run is undoubtedly long since sold out, at least on weekends when I can be there).

Telecharge Offers... Miss Saigon... Code: msdm0117

Offer valid on select seats. Offer valid for performances through 6/10/17. Offer is not valid for 4/10/17-4/16/17, 5/26/17-5/27/17. Other blackout dates my apply. 

Orch. Mon-Thur $119, Fri-Sat $125
Rear. Orch. Mon-Thurs $79, Fri-Sat $89
Mezz. from $39

AMELIE

3/9 - 4/11

$85 Orch/Front Mezz
$59.50 Select Mezz
CODE: AMELMAIL

ticketmaster.com

Clive Owen will star as Rene Gallimard in the first Broadway revival of David Henry Hwang's Tony Award®-winning play, M. BUTTERFLY, directed by Tony Award® winner Julie Taymor. The production will open on October 26, 2017 at a Broadway theatre to be announced.

For the Tony Award®-winning play's first Broadway return, Hwang will introduce new material inspired by the real-life love affair between French diplomat Bernard Boursicot and Chinese opera singer Shi Pei Pu that has come to light since the play's 1988 premiere.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-Clive-Owen-Will-Return-to-Broadway-in-Julie-Taymors-M-BUTTERFLY-Revival-20170130

I'm wishing I'd made plans to see this (its limited run is undoubtedly long since sold out, at least on weekends when I can be there).

I'd encourage you to check, Rinaldo. Of course it depends on your price point and where you want to sit but I just took a look out of curiosity and there are still a bunch of tickets left for different dates. Even weekends. :)

On 23/01/2017 at 4:32 PM, Rinaldo said:

Tomorrow is its last day of availability at Broadway HD. (Subscription required.)

Well dang. Missed that boat.

Sunset Boulevard is starting soon with Glenn Close. I wonder if they were smart enough to juice up the set a bit after the bare bones London show.

See, if this was starring Betty Buckley again I'd be there in a heartbeat. Glenn just made it too camp/one note, IMO. Her take was too "crazy" and Betty found the elegance and real pain in Norma, I think. Plus, I bet her voice is surely in MUCH better shape than Glenn's.

7 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I'd encourage you to check, Rinaldo. 

I just did, and grabbed one for March 25. I guess even with a hot movie star, Sunday in the Park with George will never be a total entire-run-instantly-sold-out phenomenon! Thanks for the advisory.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

I just did, and grabbed one for March 25. I guess even with a hot movie star, Sunday in the Park with George will never be a total entire-run-instantly-sold-out phenomenon! Thanks for the advisory.

That's when I'm going!

"The child is so sweet
And the girls are so rapturous
Isn't it lovely how artists can capture us"

I absolutely adore this show and my first time seeing with a full orchestra!

Where can I find confirmation that they're using the full orchestrations? (I'm sure it's out there somewhere, I just haven't found it.)

Of course it's all relative; "full" in this case would mean 12 players, which was small (compared to the standard 24) when the show originally opened in 1984. But the last Broadway revival (a transfer from the UK) used a reduction for 5, so this would be a step up.

It's a special experience. I was so sure it would never be produced again (yes, I'm such an amazing predictor!!) that I saw the original production four times during its unexpectedly lengthy run (the last time after Harry Groener and Maryann Plunkett took over the leads). I saw the Arena Stage production (directed by Eric Schaeffer of Signature Theater) with husband-wife team Liz Larsen and Sal Viviano, then Schaeffer's second production (and a different visual conception) as part of the Sondheim Celebration at the Kennedy Center, with Melissa Errico and Raul Esparza. (He was the best Act II George I've seen, believably contemporary and neurotic and difficult.) And I saw the transfer of the Menier production that played at Studio 54 (reduced orchestration, alas) with up-to-date animated graphics everywhere, and eminences like Michael Cumpsty, Jessica Molaskey, Alexander Gemignani, Mary Beth Peil, Santino Fontana (Broadway debut!), and Anne L. Nathan among the cast. So this will be, amazingly, my eighth personal encounter with it.

• Love 3

Fathom Events is showing Newsies in movie theaters.  It was filmed in Los Angeles, with most of the original cast.  The entire production ran for a week, they filmed various angles in all of the shows and edited it all together. February 16, 18 and 22.

MasterVoices (formerly The Collegiate Chorale), closes its 75th anniversary season with Victor Herbert's Babes in Toyland on April 27, 2017 at 7pm at Stern Auditorium / Perelman Stage at Carnegie Hall (57th Street and 7th Avenue, New York, NY 10019).

The production will be conducted by MasterVoices' Artistic Director Ted Sperling and will feature the MasterVoices chorus, Kelli O'Hara, Bill Irwin, Lauren Worsham, and Christopher Fitzgerald, with Orchestra of St. Luke's.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Kelli-OHara-Bill-Irwin-Lauren-Worsham-and-Christopher-Fitzgerald-to-Headline-MasterVoices-BABES-IN-TOYLAND-This-Spring-20170201

Comedian, talk-show and podcast host, and writer Chris Gethard brings his one-man off-Broadway show Chris Gethard: CAREER SUICIDE to HBO when it tapes at the Tribeca Performing Arts Center in Manhattan on Feb. 11.

Slated for May debut

Excellent news! I really recommend checking this out whenever it airs. http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Off-Broadways-CHRIS-GETHARD-CAREER-SUICIDE-Being-Taped-for-HBO-20170201

This just in! HAMILTON producerJeffrey Seller announced that the Broadway production will double the number of $10 seats available for each performance at the Richard RodgersTheatre (226 W. 46 St. in NYC) starting January 31, 2017.

On that date forty-six (46) seats per performance will be available through the daily digital lottery (https://lottery.broadwaydirect.com/show/hamilton/). For matinee performances, the lottery will be open for entries between 8:00 AM and 10:00 AM. For evening performances following matinees, entries can be made between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM. On days with only an evening performance scheduled, entries can be made between 8:00 AM and 1:00 PM.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-Number-of-10-Lotto-Seats-for-HAMILTON-on-Broadway-to-Double-in-2017-20170129

Woo-hoo, twice as many chances to lose!  :)

Just found out I have a work trip to the NYC area next month, so my brain has gone into overdrive seeing if I can fit in a show or two.  Unfortunately, I made a list of things I'd really like to see, and there are 8 or so...I'll have to narrow it down to "really really", I guess.  (Or just see what's actually available this late--that probably eliminates most of them.)

@Scott Feel free to ask advice about shows or the best ways to find cheaper last-minute tickets to particular shows. :)

Cruel Intentions: The Musical, the new stage adaptation of Roger Kumble's 1999 cult hit film developed by Lindsey Rosin and Jordan Ross, announces the cast for its New York Premiere pop-up engagement this February at (Le) Poisson Rouge (158 Bleecker Street).

The musical will star Jennifer Damiano (American Psycho, Next to Normal) as Kathryn, Constantine Rousouli (Wicked, Ghost) as Sebastian, Natalie Hall ("True Blood," "All My Children") as Annette, Janel Parrish ("Pretty Little Liars") as Cecile, Alex Boniello (Spring Awakening) as Blaine, Jared Dixon ("Shades of Blue") as Ronald and Brian Muller ("The Good Wife") as Greg, and Jenn Harris (Silence! The Musical; Gayby) as Mrs. Caldwell. Rousouli, Parrish and Muller previously starred in the musical's world premiere in Los Angeles.

Cruel Intentions: The Musical will play three performances only in this pop-up NYC engagement - February 11, 13 & 14, 2017 - at (Le) Poisson Rouge. The production, which sold out quickly last month following the announcement of its premiere, has released a new block of tickets for the February 14 performance, now available for purchase at lpr.com.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Jennifer-Damiano-and-Constantine-Rousouli-to-Star-in-CRUEL-INTENTIONS-THE-MUSICAL-at-LPR-Cast-Announced-20170202

On 2/3/2017 at 0:35 PM, aradia22 said:

Feel free to ask advice about shows or the best ways to find cheaper last-minute tickets to particular shows. :)

Thanks!  I will throw one question out there.  Other than the weekend, the one night that I know I will have free is...Monday.  I know there are a couple of Broadway shows that have Monday night performances, but none of those really interest me.  Any other theatre-related suggestions for a Monday?

I don't know which specific Monday you'll be here. But you might want to broaden your scope past plays to look at venues in general. 92Y, 54 Below, etc. That's where I tend to be on a Monday. It's tough because a lot of off-Broadway shows still choose to be dark on Mondays. And I wouldn't recommend any of the off-Broadway shows I can think of that are open on Monday (Shear Madness, Newsical, Perfect Crime, Blue Man Group, etc.). But I'll keep an eye out. 

• Love 2

So I finished my two-day splurge of musicals, watching Rent yesterday and Kinky Boots today.

My thoughts:

Rent was at a small venue, a little over 200 seats.  @aradia22 let me know that this was a non-Equity production, but it was still pretty good.  There was a small musical combo - piano, keyboards, drums, guitar, bass, but they actually overpowered the vocals.  I thought they really needed to turn down the volume on the musicians so that we could actually hear the singers.  Katie Lamark, as Maureen, was superb.  She really lit up the stage when she was on.  Kaleb Woods as Roger had a really nice voice.  My biggest complaint was that I thought that Skyler Volpe as Mimi, was too ... robust.  I didn't see any illness.  She seemed very healthy all the way to the almost-end. Still, it was worth the attendance.

Kinky Boots, on the other hand, was awesome.  Maybe because I had never seen any of it before, but it was highly entertaining.  My biggest complaint was that Curt Hansen, as Charlie, had a rock music voice, not a musical voice.  He sang well, I just didn't like his voice.  J. Harrison Ghee, as Lola, was magnificent.  He totally dominated the stage, and I loved him.  When he sang "Not My Father's Song", and the Whitneyesque "Hold Me in Your Heart" ... wow.  In addition, Rose Hemingway as Lauren was a lot of fun.  The audience really enjoyed it, I could tell.

• Love 1

The Public Theater announced today that Emmy Award winner Mare Winningham and Dimitri Joseph Moïse have joined the previously announced cast of the world premiere musical Joan of Arc: Into the Fire.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Mare-Winningham-Joins-David-Byrnes-JOAN-OF-ARC-INTO-THE-FIRE-at-The-Public-Theater-20170206

So that's two female characters then? I'm very curious about how this will be received but even with Byrne and Timbers it's not that exciting to me after this casting news. I mostly just wish I'd gone to see Here Lies Love with the original cast. 

(edited)

I'm supposed to see Natasha Pierre tomorrow but Josh Groban has been sick so I don't know if he'll be on tomorrow night. I'm currently plotting. The show's at 7pm. I'm going to call Telecharge in the morning to see what they say about switching dates. Otherwise, I'll go to the box office a little earlier tomorrow and figure it out. I'm OK seeing the show without him but I'm probably only going to see it once, so I'd rather see it when he's in it. I've never exchanged tickets before because I usually don't buy tickets that far in advance.

UPDATE: He's out so I'm seeing the show in 2 weeks.

Edited by aradia22

Re: Jake

I think there are better male singers working in musical theatre but I am impressed. Whoever's been working with him on his singing knows how to manage his voice really well. I wouldn't have expected this kind of singing from his performance in Little Shop which was great and fun (but made me worry a little about him sustaining a long run in a musical). I'll be curious to hear reports on his performance. I thought he was fantastic in Constellations. It's hard to get a read on his acting here. I don't think it's that he can't act and sing at the same time but he was probably focused on not falling down the stairs to some extent and not ruining the one take. He's not Mandy Patinkin, of course, but I think this does a good job showing the cleverness of the dynamics and the music. It's less Patinkin-isms and just pretty vocals but I feel like I'm more focused on what Sondheim and whoever did the orchestrations wrote.

I have no wish for anyone else to sound like Patinkin in this. His performance was great and unique, but even he (3 decades of mannerism-acquiring later) would be unable to emulate it now, nor should anyone try. One of the great pleasures of theater is seeing different valid approaches to the same classic material. As noted above in this thread, I've seen 5 different actors do the role onstage now, and I own audio recordings of Lambert Wilson, Cris Groenendaal, and Patrick Mason doing the song as well, so I look forward to the variety of approaches possible for it. Jake G's is one of the best I've encountered, and I must confess I didn't expect to hear him sound so... for lack of better words, authentic or convincing. His career is taking interesting turns, and I'm looking forward to the performance I'm attending, more than ever.

42 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

whoever did the orchestrations....

Michael Starobin, as always, and as they've announced.

• Love 3

Michael Starobin, as always, and as they've announced.

Thanks, Rinaldo. I did a quick wikipedia search to give credit earlier but weirdly it didn't come up on the musical's main page. It only notes his Drama Desk nomination and 2013 performances.