Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: I Love Geologists

• Start Topic

Airs July 23rd, 2019

The teams travel to Yellowknife, where racers feel the pressure of a diamond road block before things take a chilling turn.

Taxi stealing should cause a penalty. “ you took another teams taxi, causing them to lose x minutes, so you are penalized twice that, so y minutes”

I was hoping so hard for a non elim and was so happy to see it was. I really like the Moms. 

The under the ice challenge was scary!! Big cudos to the people that did it. Esp Trish (I think) who had to take her hearing aids out to do it, so was not only doing a scary challenge but was doing it while deaf.

Anyone but Irina and Dave for the win right now. Seriously, how can I cheer for a team that steals cabs, uses an express passs because the “princess” can’t get cold and takes a penalty because the task is hard

• Love 11

Perhaps it's a bit of schadenfreude, but I laughed at watching Irina stand outside freezing her butt off for 2 hours after refusing to jump into the lake. I thought TAR also penalized teams for taking other's cabs? Or is that only the American version?

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

Perhaps it's a bit of schadenfreude, but I laughed at watching Irina stand outside freezing her butt off for 2 hours after refusing to jump into the lake. I thought TAR also penalized teams for taking other's cabs? Or is that only the American version?

I can't remember any teams being penalized for stealing cabs on the U.S. or Canadian versions. As far as I know as long as you don't interfere with another team's bags, if you can convince their driver to take you that is fair game.

I hope Irina's decision to burn the Express Pass because she "didn't feel like" doing the ice water task will come back to bite them. Hard.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
And another thing!
  • Love 1

So, I have been watching but only felt the need to comment now because Dave and Irina both irritate me.

On the one hand, it is a race and I'm glad they're actually racing and trying to win. On the other hand, they're doing it in a way that ensures that no team will likely talk to them after this show. There's a difference between racing to get ahead and racing to be a dick. 

Dave/Irina stealing one cab was bad enough, but I thought "Well, it's a race and they have to take the advantage when they need it." Plus, they HAD been standing around, trying to find a cab for a while before that. But then they did it AGAIN and didn't hesitate this time around with that team right behind them. THEN they used the Express Pass because Irina couldn't get her hair wet or whatever (but she totally could have done it; she was totally capable of doing it but....too cold). And then, they gave up, I would presume about 20 minutes into the map task to take a two hour penalty because it was too hard and they were too impatient to try. I guess they should have used their Express Pass for this, not for the ice task, especially when they had no idea how far behind the teams were at that point.

I mean, I'm all for their choices as individual choices (it's a RAAAAACE), but put them all together in one episode, and it's a big fat YIKES for that team. It was just really dirty of them; no wonder no teams have anything good to say. 

Meanwhile, Sarah/Sam may have hit a taxi blunder with the running meter, but I admire their problem solving. It ended up working well for them in the end. Finding a geoscience building and getting their help? Also getting their help to pay for their cab fare? That's impressive. They knew the map task would be their downfall and instead of taking a two hour penalty, they found a way to make it work. They got a quick geography lesson and managed to get a good position. Good for them!

The ice challenge looked decent enough. I felt for both Sarah and Aarthy for conquering their fears. 

• Love 6

So glad this was a non elim. Way too much taxi stealing for me. I totally get that it's a race but no need to be a dick.  Glad that Irina and Dave burned their express pass. It's too bad the other racers didn't know I & D had taken a penalty, or they could have worked together and shared the long and lat answers to eliminate them. It's the entitled attitude that got me - that Irina felt she shouldn't have to do the water challenge.  The guy that was giving instructions and pulling people out was great.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Evenshorter said:

It's the entitled attitude that got me - that Irina felt she shouldn't have to do the water challenge. 

Exactly, especially since she knew it wasn't a hard task but she couldn't be bothered. That's not how you use an Express Pass! But they're so cocky about their position in the race that they probably think that they'll never be in actual danger to need the Express Pass to get ahead.

Which is why I hope, next leg, they flop hard.

• Love 7

It's funny, I was just thinking the other day how budgeting your money used to be such an important part of the race but it's never an issue anymore and then, BAM, the Olympians run out of money. Lucky for them people were so generous.

Dave and Irina suck for so many reasons but I can't hold the taxi stealing against them.  It may be a dick move but it isn't against the rules and never has been. That being said, wtf is with the jerk cab drivers in Yellowknife?  Why say you're going to wait for someone only to ditch them? Especially when you know you're leaving them basically in the middle of nowhere.  I was more annoyed at the cab drivers than Dave & Irina.

• Love 2

Lol wasting your express pass on a non elim leg.  I feel bad for Dr. when he used his instead of the diamond reading.   These teams don’t work together!  Kudos to the gal who couldn’t swim for doing the under ice challenge instead of using their express pass.

(edited)
On 7/23/2019 at 10:38 PM, Pepper the Cat said:

Taxi stealing should cause a penalty. “ you took another teams taxi, causing them to lose x minutes, so you are penalized twice that, so y minutes”

I'd like to see that too.

On 7/23/2019 at 11:07 PM, RunningMarket said:

Perhaps it's a bit of schadenfreude, but I laughed at watching Irina stand outside freezing her butt off for 2 hours after refusing to jump into the lake.

I was laughing right along with you!

16 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I hope Irina's decision to burn the Express Pass because she "didn't feel like" doing the ice water task will come back to bite them. Hard.

As hard as that ice! ☺

Anyone but Dave and Irina for the win.

Edited by aemom
Forgot something
  • Love 1

With taxis the drivers could obviously wait for the specific team they are with than taking someone else (who's in the race or who isn't).  Of course the producers could have teams driving around themselves than using taxis, that would make it a better race anyway.

The best part I thought was the map challenge in the cold, it created the best drama of the episode.

Irina arguably should have at least tried the roadblock, but once they had a big lead taking the two hour penalty probably didn't have that high a risk factor.

• Love 2