Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Chapter 4

(edited)

It's called "The Switch" but I can't find an episode description. Anyway, it's got some continuity issues with Myfanwy's wardrobe. Her cardigan keeps disappearing and reappearing in what should be the same scene.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • LOL 1

I don't understand how Myfanwey can do her job without any memories.

Myfanwey found out that Linda Farrier was going to wipe her memory and prepared for it. I wonder if Linda Farrier has wiped Myfanwey's mind in the past.

I don't understand why Myfanwey needed a secret room unless she was into something shady.

I am guessing that Myfanwey learned how to control her powers in the past and she is way too powerful and emotionally unstable. 

Myfanwey's power isn't electrical shocks, it's probably something like rewriting the brain/mind control.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think this show is better binged, I can barely remember things from week to week, like Gestalt wrecking the Jeep.   I read the book (loved it, the second one not so much) so I have a basic knowledge about what’s going on, otherwise it would be rather confusing.   

Edited by mjc570
spelling, again
  • Love 2

So Myfanwy’s therapist was brought in by Linda to seduce a lonely, traumatized teenager to get her powers to work? That’s incredibly despicable. 

I too think the show is better binged. Each episode sort of inches along and doesn’t necessarily feel fulfilling on its own. 

I feel like adapting this book was always going to be tough because of some formatting choices. There’s a lot of exposition in the first novel and it does seem like the show is a bit overburdened trying to dole it out. 

• Love 1

I don't think reading the book matters, they don't seem to have adapted the main plot of it. I don't remember human trafficking auctions being a thing at all.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Mikay said:

So Myfanwy’s therapist was brought in by Linda to seduce a lonely, traumatized teenager to get her powers to work? That’s incredibly despicable.

It is, but not surprising. What I was wondering is if the therapist was in Agent Carter? It doesn't list him on IMDB for the Rook.

1 hour ago, AngelKitty said:

It is, but not surprising. What I was wondering is if the therapist was in Agent Carter? It doesn't list him on IMDB for the Rook.

Dr. Andrew Bristol played by James D'Arcy was also in Agent Carter playing Edwin Jarvis.

• Love 3
On 7/22/2019 at 6:18 AM, Mikay said:

On 7/22/2019 at 7:06 AM, kariyaki said:

I don't think reading the book matters, they don't seem to have adapted the main plot of it. I don't remember human trafficking auctions being a thing at all.

I don't remember either of these being in the book, maybe that's one of the reasons the book is better.

(edited)
On 7/23/2019 at 1:43 PM, GaT said:

I don't remember either of these being in the book, maybe that's one of the reasons the book is better.

I just finished the book, neither of these things was in there, nor did Myfanwy get up close and personal with any of the Gestalt bodies in the book.

What was in the book was a lot of people with weird body modifications that would have been very expensive special effects.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, NeenerNeener said:

nor did Myfanwy get up close and personal with any of the Gestalt bodies in the book.

I meant to include that too, why do they bother to even call it "The Rook"?

• Love 1
On 7/21/2019 at 12:10 PM, showme said:

Can Nazim restore her memory? What does he want with her?

I find the amnesia thing tiresome, so I'd like that. I just don't know how they pull off Myfanwey suddenly knowing a lot more than the audience does. We've been at the same level of knowledge as her so far.

On 7/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, AnimeMania said:

Myfanwey's power isn't electrical shocks, it's probably something like rewriting the brain/mind control.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Strong electromagnetic fields can affect the brain. And we've seen electrical effects like flickering lights in the bank and the fulgurites.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:18 AM, Mikay said:

Not that it makes it any better, and not a huge difference important, but I don't think the seduction was plan A. It sounded like they tried pain first, and when that didn't work, he noticed she was attracted to him ("transference" he called it) and they decided "hey, let's try that next".

On 7/24/2019 at 7:50 PM, NeenerNeener said:

I just finished the book, neither of these things was in there, nor did Myfanwy get up close and personal with any of the Gestalt bodies in the book.

I'm so glad you posted this, because it's been a while since I read the books. I didn't think either of these things happened (especially the Gestalt thing, because the therapist business just happened), but couldn't remember. I spent the first 2 episodes convinced that Gestalt knew about the memory loss and made up the 'we slept together' thing to test the extent of it and to see what Myfawny would say in response.

I've spent the last 2 episodes wondering which of them she slept with. It sounded like a one night thing, but I can't escape the mental picture of the other three just sitting around, eyes blank, focused in on the action.

Linda getting a therapist to work with and then screw a deeply messed up teenager is a horribly low kind of low. The more we find out about these people working in the government, the more sketchy they seem. 

I haven't read the books so I dont have much to add to that particular discussion, but I do think the show is picking up. The bits with the American agent and Gestalt were pretty good, no matter how smug she gets, especially when they talked about how they all picked different coffee flavors even though they all like the same coffee, because hive mind, because them all sharing a brain creeps people out. And the other agent saying that its even more creepy to her that she knows that they're faking being different from each other for her benefit. 

• Love 1