Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Happy Heckling

• Start Topic

Callie attends a networking mixer and confronts some perceptions about herself; Mariana's relationship with Evan sparks rumors; Alice encounters one of her idols at a queer comedy club where she attempts to get her stand-up career off the ground.

I wish Callie told Jamie how she really feels (her fears about what he expects of her as a wife) because I think he would have relieved her fears. I'm sure he doesn't want that either. 

I LOVE Marianna and Evan's budding friendship. Now Raj has to smarten up so he doesn't ruin his relationship with her. 

• Love 5

Yikes. First of all, that networking thing for Jamie's work was so overwritten. But of course that was just to make Callie's position seem easily justifiable. And Jamie and Callie have known each other for years. You mean to tell me that Miss Greatest Queen of Social Justice Ever has never brought up politics around him before? This is the first she's heard that he's conservative?

And I really didn't need to revisit Callie making sad eyes around Gael. And of course his boyfriend is a big liar and paying for good reviews, because that'll just drive him right back to Callie!

I think what I'm saying is, as usual, I hated all the Callie stuff.

Everything else was lovely! Of course I missed the Half Cast who they skipped this week. But Alice's story was cute. I thought Joey really overreacted (what else is new) to the thing with the comedian -- "did you mention your partner, etc" -- it was a five second bathroom conversation and it's about Alice's career, not her personal life. You don't look a career gift horse in the mouth, especially in such a tough field to break into.

I was really hoping that one-on-one scene with Raj would lead to some growth from what's-his-name, but... nope.

• Love 4

So now Callie is in this deep soul search, not sure about career choices? I think it was poorly written. The show gave us this social justice warrior who makes all these mistakes because she wants to believe she can save to world and when she is called you on her mess up she is just "not sure"? 

I really liked Alice's story and I really like the timing of the actress but it was too dramatic for something we might not even see the outcome - next episode will be Cast 2, things lose continuity.

Speaking of cast 1 and 2 - purely speculation here but if the show is avoiding using the whole cast - or most of it - every episode like they did in the first season, I can only think of two things:

1. Change in the contracts because they cannot afford to pay "full time", so they focus on the two protagonists who probably get more money and are EDs - which might indicate that this is the last season.

2. A fit from at least one of the protagonists and a demand for more "me-centered" stories. Talking about Maia. I don't follow any other forums, but in this one most of us really like the other characters, and are a little annoyed by Callie. I don't think people dislike her as much as I do, but if there are other forums I assume that they do like the other characters and stories. I don't think is is a stretch to see a diva moment from a ED, also a protagonist, if her character (and acting, perceived or real) caused the changes to focus more on her.

Shallow point: the dress that Callie was wearing was adorable on her but for someone who is basically unemployed, who does't have enough money to pay rent, has she ever repeated a piece of wardrobe (other than her pantsuit for the court work)? And those heels! She is with her boyfriend at his house and she doesn't look comfortable at all. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I really hope that Callie finally just breaks up with Jamie soon and gets it over with, she clearly has one foot out the door, and if she keeps stringing him along, its just going to get worse. Her whole angst attack about the rich stay at home moms was so ridiculous, especially Callie assuming that Jaime will want her to do the same is ridiculous. Jamie has never been anything but supportive of her and her career, and if she had just been honest with him about her fears, he probably would have told her that he had no desire for her to quit her job or anything, but of course she cant do that. She is still super into Gael, so why did she choose Jamie in the first place anyway? I also thought Callie was being kind of a judgy asshole towards the women at the party, like, oh no, a stay at home mom!?! Disgusting, your a failure as a woman and a human! Yeah they had to be over the top vapid and rich,  but come on! Of course, that Callie for you, she is all about accepting people...unless its something that she does not approve of, even something as innocuous as wanting to be a housewife. For as pissed as she is about that guy from legal aid judging her, she is sure doing a lot of judging herself! And the whole party was so over the top in its rich WASPness, it was kind of hilarious. 

I mean, I've always known Callie would get bored with Jamie, because he isn't her type. Callie, going by her time on The Fosters, likes either guys she is forbidden to be with (like her foster/adopted brother) or guys that are "social justice causes" for her to support and fight for (black kid from the wrong side of the tracks, transgender activist), she even had some teasing of a relationship with a female friend who was a DACA  kid whos parents were deported, but honestly, she kind of got bored with them when they stopped needing her to "save" them or things started going to well for them. If Jamie wants to compete with Gael, a Hispanic bisexual artist with a trans vet sister and a complicated family situation, he needs to step his issue game up! He needs to get a tragic backstory NOW. But now is she getting interested in her judgmental co-worker?! If Callie cant handle Jamie being...himself, she just needs to call it off before he gets even more attached to her, its not fair for her to be halfway out.

Oh Alice, never draw attention to yourself during a comedy set! That comedian is totally going to try and hook up with Alice to spite Joey,or something. But I cant say I am a super fan of Joey, they seem like they're always annoyed or mad at Alice for every little thing she does. 

Awwww Evan I knew to have faith in you! He and Mariana have a cute friendship, I hope that Raj will get his head out of his ass and realize they really are just friends, because I like him and Mariana. She really should have given him a heads up about hanging out with him though. 

I know they have a big cast, but I stil get whiplash when we start getting movement on a characters storyline, and then the next week they dont even show up.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9

I know a lot of people were frustrated with Callie and her behavior on the Fosters, but I was able to chalk that up to normal teenage "save the world" actions with an underdeveloped frontal lobe and no thought for future consequences. But here she is supposed to be, what, 24? Come on. I know that is still young, but it isn't so young that you continue to make such stupid mistakes where you just aren't thinking. Also, there are a lot of couples out there who just cancel out each other's votes in elections. Your registered party doesn't mean anything really, as long as your values align with each other in your relationship. There are rational and irrational people in all poitical parties. 

I like Raj and Mariana together, but I am Team Raj on this one. She messed up. I hope he takes some time and cools off and comes back to her. 

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

mean, I've always known Callie would get bored with Jamie, because he isn't her type. Callie, going by her time on The Fosters, likes either guys she is forbidden to be with (like her foster/adopted brother) or guys that are "social justice causes" for her to support and fight for (black kid from the wrong side of the tracks, transgender activist), she even had some teasing of a relationship with a female friend who was DACA  kid whos parents were deported, but honestly, she kind of got bored with them when they stopped needing her to "save" them or things started going to well for them. If Jamie wants to compete with Gael, a Hispanic bisexual artist with a trans vet sister and a complicated family situation, he needs to step his issue game up! He needs to get a tragic backstory NOW. But now is she getting interested in her judgmental co-worker?! If Callie cant handle Jamie being...himself, she just needs to call it off before he gets even more attached to her, its not fair for her to be halfway out.

That's a most accurate analysis. 

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Awwww Evan I knew to have faith in you! He and Mariana have a cute friendship, I hope that Raj will get his head out of his ass and realize they really are just friends, because I like him and Mariana. She really should have given him a heads up about hanging out with him though. 

I like Evan and the fact that they did give him the autism diagnosis and didn't completely messed up with OMG! Cure! or didn't go all savant Autistic was a relief. It is true that for Autistics who have difficulty with intimate relationships, having someone who is accepting and who doesn't judge to talk to, maybe get some advice is very helpful. Mariana was that. I can only hope they just keep him with all the complexities of someone who is you know, human. I also hope they don't make Mariana into the savior and that she remains a good friend.

• Love 2

This show continues to bore me, which is a shame because I love the delicious train wreck of The Fosters. There's zero momentum. Is every episode of the series going to feature Callie waffling between panty dropper Gael and stable Jaime? I rolled my eyes into the sun when Gael's new old boyfriend was revealed as a...secret art villain or something. Callie's vagina apparently marks you for life and you'll be miserable until you go back to her. And these "wah my rich boyfriend will bankroll everything in my life but I'm too woke/deep to settle for vapid suburbia!" plots that are supposed to make the protagonist look like a Spunky Feminist just make them look like entitled assholes.

Joey is a human wet blanket. As someone above said, they're always making Alice feel bad about everything. Apparently Joey is the gatekeeper of all things queer and nothing Alice does is right. Joey and Alice's relationship is joyless, which isn't helped by weak acting. At least Lindsay's arrogance and pettiness means they'd probably be hot in the sack. Alice should go for it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 7/17/2019 at 10:54 AM, gesundheit said:

Yikes. First of all, that networking thing for Jamie's work was so overwritten. But of course that was just to make Callie's position seem easily justifiable. And Jamie and Callie have known each other for years. You mean to tell me that Miss Greatest Queen of Social Justice Ever has never brought up politics around him before? This is the first she's heard that he's conservative?

I don't think Jamie and Callie have known each other for years. They just met in the episode of the Fosters with Brandon's wedding, and that couldn't have been more than a few months before Good Trouble started. And it doesn't seem like a year has gone by in show time.

However, I am still not sure why she is surprised he's a republican because when we met him and his family we found out his parents were Republican. And I thought he referenced his politics as well. 

I thought Callie was being rather over dramatic about the party though. Did Jamie ever suggest he wants a stay at home wife? And surely, not every lawyer Jamie works with has a wife that doesn't work. I can't even believe every lawyer he works with is male. Was that party in another century?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I thought Callie was being rather over dramatic about the party though. Did Jamie ever suggest he wants a stay at home wife? And surely, not every lawyer Jamie works with has a wife that doesn't work. I can't even believe every lawyer he works with is male. Was that party in another century?

Reading this it also occurred to me that Callie was all contained and unable to express her opinion - maybe because she felt that it would be bad for Jamie if she spoke her mind, sort of - but she is completely fine not thinking about the consequences of her unprofessional actions, or about lying to her boss because the party was important to Jamie. It is not very consistent Callie, despite the "soul searching" about her professional choice.

• Love 2
On 7/18/2019 at 10:31 AM, tennisgurl said:

I know they have a big cast, but I still get whiplash when we start getting movement on a characters storyline, and then the next week they dont even show up.

It is not atypical for shows with a big cast to switch around focus week to week, but I think the problem is made worse by the fact that characters are MIA for whole episodes (vs just not having a main SL that week) and that the one constant is Callie, whose SLs are typically annoying.  On the plus side, I am really enjoying Mariana's SL, how they are dealing with issues of women working in tech, sexism, and people who might be diagnosed on the spectrum.  I also enjoyed Alice this week, although I still fail to see what she sees in Joey, who is so dour and judgmental (sort of like Callie - those two should hang out).  

• Love 4

No, show, no amount of Raj and Alex bonding will ever get me to like Alex, unless he changes as a person. Even though he saved Raj's behind by covering for him, he's still a massive dick. He just doesn't get it.

Evan and Mariana's friendship worked better this episode. Him telling Mariana about having Asperger's was great, and I really had a good chuckle at Mariana explaining what "sus" is to Evan.

Ah, yet another episode of Judgemental Callie. Oh, and she gets to stand up to her boss, who....doesn't seem to hate her. "You just need to like yourself." Ah, great. I was really hoping for Callie to actually have a hostile enemy.

And I'm surprised that Callie is surprised about Jamie's political views. I thought she knew that Jamie was a Republican. I didn't love the work party atmosphere, but it got Callie out of her comfort zone. But girl still is clearly way more into Gael than Jamie so I'm just waiting for someone to break up with someone. And poor guy, if he only knew that Callie thinks, even for a moment, that she'd need to be a stay at home mom if they stayed together. Seriously, Callie is absolutely awful. It's annoying that she tells Mariana to be honest with her boyfriend when she can't be honest with hers.

Alice is great but I still wish she had a better partner. I don't hate Joey, but I am also getting irritated by them. Lindsay could be a fun fling for Alice, but they're kind of douchey as well.

Alice needs someone supportive and relaxed, who's enthusiastic about her and not adding to her stress, because Alice is an open-hearted but insecure person who tries to please everyone at her own expense. It's hard for me to believe that she isn't wildly popular and highly in demand as a girlfriend, because she's really awesome and seems to me like the type of person everyone I know would want to date.

• Love 1