Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Pop Art Blowup

• Start Topic

That was a really cool challenge!

Loved Alex's pill box and Janusz with his whacky hair brush that looked like a sex toy. Deborah did well too and the only thing that I wasn't sure about was the writing on the tube.

Patrick was lucky that Momoko didn't quite hit the brief of the challenge. I agree that it would make an interesting light fixture though.

• Love 2
(edited)

When Deborah was drawing her squeezed out toothpaste (sorry, "squozed out") and she said it looked like fat rolls, I thought it actually looked like a giant turd.

I was looking forward to Momo's Yayoi Kusama inspired piece. If I didn't know it was supposed to be a razor (it looked more like a mushroom to me), I wouldn't have guessed that's what it was but I guess that's okay since it's pop art and it's allowed to be exaggerated.

Janusz's hairbrush was really great. I loved the curve of the handle and he did manage to make it look plastic rather than glass.

Yay, we finally get to see Alex using color!

Ugh, once again Deborah was up on her high horse. No, Janusz doesn't win because he uses cane. He wins because he creates beautiful pieces that fit the challenge. Now that Deborah is deigning to use cane, she has to clarify that she's going to do it in an artistic way so it's meaningful. Gawd, she is so pompous. It ended up looking like a meringue kiss, not toothpaste. Compared to how much work and technical skills we saw in the other pieces, hers looked way too simple in comparison. Although I liked that she used color for the toothpaste, Aquafresh is a different shade of blue. The toothpaste tube looked pretty good though.

I can be a bit of a complainer so I admire people like Patrick who manage to smile and remain upbeat even when they're stressed out. Getting assigned a towel was a tough challenge. They really couldn't think of one other thing in a bathroom to assign? I loved the curving zigzag stripes he created.

Akex's pill bottle was accurate but I felt like the only thing pop art about it was the size.

For me, Janusz was the obvious winner. He and Momo were the only ones who really succeeded at the pop art part of the challenge. Patrick and Deborah are lucky that Momo was eliminated because they were at the bottom of this challenge in my book.

Given the critiques that Momo has been given, I'm surprised that she lasted this long. In the first few episodes, it was clear that Katherine didn't like Momo's aesthetic or think much of her technical skills so I kept thinking she would be eliminated.

Three wins for Janusz! He's definitely the frontrunner but I think Alex is up there too.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

Momo's razor was pretty, but if I saw it with no context, I would never have guessed it was a razor.

Deborah's toothpaste looked more like a striped poop emoji than toothpaste to me, but I did like how the stripes looked. I didn't understand the judges problem with the toothpaste cap.

I absolutely loved the pill container & pills, & I thought the hairbrush had a Dr. Seuss vibe. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Interesting challenge. Momo put great detail into her work, and she's very artistic, but it needed some representation of blades. 

Alex's was very precise, but it seemed basic. The pills were cool. 

Well, I didn't see a turd or pile of poop in Deborah's toothpaste, but it might have been more effective if the tube had been attached at the top, showing the substance coming out of it. (although I suppose that's derivative -- like a can of soda pouring out liquid). I didn't understand the problem with the cap, either. and I thought the tube itself looked great. I kind of expected her to win.

Poor Patrick. I'm glad he was saved this week. A towel was a really bad idea. Come on - a cooking utensil or a cereal box or headphones/earbuds or a remote control or almost anything else. It would have been awful if he'd been eliminated for that.

I loved the bristles on Jausz' hairbrush. I wish we'd seen a little more of him making those. I was a little surprised that he won given all the comments about it not looking like a brush. He seemed extra stressed this week. He's right though - even with 3 wins, it's the last week that matters (unless it comes down to a tie-breaker). 

• Love 2
On 7/16/2019 at 11:25 PM, justmehere said:

a cooking utensil or a cereal box or headphones/earbuds or a remote control or almost anything else

None of those are things normally found in the bathroom, at least not mine.  Maybe loofah or a shower poof or a back scrubbing brush.  I think those could have all been cool in glass because of the textures and shapes.

51 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

None of those are things normally found in the bathroom, at least not mine.  Maybe loofah or a shower poof or a back scrubbing brush.  I think those could have all been cool in glass because of the textures and shapes.

A back-scrubbing brush would have been too much like a hair brush, I think.  A scale, especially one where you slide the weights, would have been fun.

I think  Patrick could have used something like Janusz's "canes" (for the decanter and glass) or the Venetian style of patterns, or even bubbles in glass, to give the towel some texture. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:
On 7/16/2019 at 11:25 PM, justmehere said:

a cooking utensil or a cereal box or headphones/earbuds or a remote control or almost anything else

Yeah - forgot that it was specifically bathroom while I was writing.

I thought the towel would have been more interesting if it were hung on a peg or doorknob, rather than on a rod.  If time permitted, I would have loved to see it on the floor, right next to a hamper/laundry basket.  😉 

I was excited when Momo referenced Kusama, but I agree the end result looked more like a night lamp than a razor.  It could have worked if she had it resting on it's blade, like you normally would see. 

I thought the oversized pill bottle was cute, but it didn't wow me.  It was just big.

I loved both the hairbrush and the toothpaste.  I also thought the judges' comments about the cap were weird.  If it wasn't there someone certainly would have said "where's the cap?"

• Love 6