Type keyword(s) to search

Why Women Kill In The Media

• Start Topic

Why Women Kill is an upcoming American dark comedy-drama web television series created by Marc Cherry that is set to premiere on CBS All Access.

Why Women Kill explores "the lives of three women living in three different decades: a housewife in the ‘60s, a socialite in the ‘80s and a lawyer in 2018, each dealing with infidelity in their marriages. The series will examine how the roles of women have changed, but how their reaction to betrayal...has not."

Starring Lucy Liu & Ginnifer Goodwin

From TVLine;  Ginnifer Goodwin Joins Marc Cherry's Why Women Kill at CBS All Access

Once Upon a Time‘s Ginnifer Goodwin is headed to another alternate universe — the 60s. The actress formerly known as Snow White has been cast opposite Lucy Liu in Marc Cherry’s forthcoming female-centric CBS All Access dramedy Why Women Kill, TVLine has learned.

The series details the lives of three women living in three different decades: a housewife in the ‘60s (Goodwin), a socialite in the ‘80s (Liu) and a lawyer in 2018 (TBD), each dealing with infidelity in their marriages. It will examine how the roles of women have changed, but how their reaction to betrayal has not.

Goodwin’s circa 1963 alter ego, Beth Ann, looks to be the ideal ‘60s housewife. Per the official character description, “She is kind, cheerful and warm. But if you get too close, you start to see that she wears a mask to hide her pain. Beth Ann’s whole world revolves around her husband, and so she is understandably defensive and immediately in denial when told Rob is having an affair. Determined to learn the sordid details for herself, Beth Ann is in for a life-changing shift of perspective.”

From Deadline:  Lucy Liu To Star In ‘Why Women Kill’ On CBS All Access

Liu will star as Simone. Elegant, stylish, effervescent, Simone is the picture of urbane confidence, moving through the world as if it were a delightful movie starring herself. Smugly superior, a woman for whom appearances mean everything, she thrives on shopping and throwing parties, seemingly happily married to her indulgent husband, Karl, who thinks she is simply fabulous. However, despite nagging premonitions, Simone is devastated, her world upended, when she learns that Karl has been cheating on her.

‘Why Women Kill’: Reid Scott Cast In CBS All Access Dramedy

Scott will play Eli. Seen in 2018, Eli is Jewish, good-natured and smart enough to know that his sense of humor is the sexiest thing about him. He is a stay-at-home writer, married to Taylor, whom he finds alluring and exciting, constantly impressed by her fearlessness. He’s happy with their unconventional marriage, pleased that both have the liberty to sleep with other people as long as they don’t bring their playmates home. However, all that is about to change when Eli allows Taylor to let her lesbian lover crash with them for the weekend.

‘Why Women Kill’: Sam Jaeger Cast In CBS All Access Dramedy

Jaeger will play Rob. Seen in 1963. Confident and ambitious, he is Beth Ann’s husband, an ex-jock who was born into a blue collar family, but who has worked his ass off to end up in a white collar world. The quintessential early 1960s catered-to husband, he enjoys his position as benevolent provider, provided Beth Ann remains the subservient homemaker.

Many of the reviews are positive (possible spoilers at the links):

TV Guide:  "These scenes, and many of the scenes around them, are pulpy and downright delightful. Why Women Kill is able to find balance by imbuing its darkest moments with absurdity. What results is a tasty little slice of entertainment."

Paste Magazine:  "The tongue-in-cheek tone can be tricky. But beginning with the opening credits, which is set against the Frank Sinatra classic “L.O.V.E.” and pulpy comic book scenes, Why Women Kill gets the tone just right."

CinemaBlend:  "Why Women Kill is also instantly rewatchable due to the darkly comedic writing, which retains genuine emotion even as it puts its characters through howl-worthy situations that would floor normal people."

Observer:  "The most fun is within the mystery—I’m dying to know how the murders will occur—and the breezy satire that Cherry so excels at."

Forbes:  "Why Women Kill is a lot of things. It’s bright, it’s colorful, it’s humorous, it’s off-beat… but most of all, it’s interesting."

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It seems like this is a one-season story. 

Maybe a second season would be a different house, with different characters, but the same actors?  

I read somewhere this was going to be an anthology series.   The same basic theme of why women kill but for different reasons.   This season dealt with infidelity but that isn’t the only reason women kill.   Next season may take on women killing their bosses or something.  (Not an actual theme)

Here’s the August 1 Deadline article in which Marc Cherry suggests the anthology format with returning actors (yay!):

Regarding a possible Season 2 being akin to an anthology, Cherry said: “I have an idea of Season 2 and I’m absolutely going to try and bring back as many people as I can.” Natch, this would be with the actors as different characters, in a different setup.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:
7 hours ago, oldCJ said:

They just announced it’s been renewed for a second season!

Yay!!!!!!

In my mind it was renewed by the 3rd episode, so I should be relieved, but I'm mostly just integrating my imaginary universe of good news with this little tidbit of good news from the real world. 🙂

• LOL 1
On 10/4/2019 at 5:05 PM, shapeshifter said:

Here’s the August 1 Deadline article in which Marc Cherry suggests the anthology format with returning actors (yay!):

Oh my god thank god.  I really hope Lucy comes back.  It's too bad about Jack's character.

On 10/16/2019 at 5:39 PM, oldCJ said:

They just announced it’s been renewed for a second season!

Ohhhhhh my goodness!

(edited)

None of those videos linked upthread work for me.

Oh man, this trailer is such a let down for me.  I loved how the last series starred LUCY LIU and also a Black Woman Kirby Howell Baptiste.  The cast was so electric and I really, really liked all of the actors.  This...... Oh boy.  I am really not a fan of Allison Tolman.  And Virginia Williams has been painful to look at in other shows I've seen her in.  So thin that it was uncomfortable to look at.

Anyway....... I hope it's good.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
33 minutes ago, AnotherCastle said:

Allison Tolman made a video speaking about negative interactions with fans online:

Oy.

I selfishly want Allison Tolman to not care about the trolls, because she elevates every show she’s on —every scene she’s in.

But that is hypocritical of me, because I am probably the thinnest skinned person on the internet. 

• Love 2

I think Allison Tolman is awesome. Sure, she’s played some unlikeable characters, but so what? Anyone who isn’t capable of separating an actor from the character they play is not exactly the sharpest crayon in the box.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CRT said:

I like Marc Cherry’s responses to season 2.  It was pretty much how I read the season myself.     

On 7/26/2021 at 12:05 AM, CarpeFelis said:

I think Allison Tolman is awesome. Sure, she’s played some unlikeable characters, but so what? Anyone who isn’t capable of separating an actor from the character they play is not exactly the sharpest crayon in the box.

This has always been the case.   People latch on to a character.   Rita got a lot of love and most people wanted her to succeed in the end which made Alma the bad guy and because of that all the people who can’t separate fantasy from reality turned Allison Tolman into the person who caused Rita such awful pain.  

I really do hope there  is a third season because this is an enjoyable show.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CRT said:

Marc Cherry discussed season 2 (and a possible season 3) with the AV Club.

What a wonderfully written article of an excellent interview of a uniquely talented creator!
Did I leave out any superlatives? 😉
Marc Cherry explains all those little things we were wondering about, but not in a way that makes us feel like we needed this interview to get it. It's more like he just reaffirms what we already understood.

3 hours ago, CRT said:

Today, ViacomCBS reported its earnings for last quarter (April-June), and they reported Why Women Kill as one of the top drivers of sign-ups.

So does this mean Marc can get busy now on Season 3? 😁

• Love 1

The cancellation is weird and I hope more scoop is revealed as to why it's not moving forward?  This was set to begin filming next Wednesday. As you'd expect from a show set to start filming five days from now, it was deep into preproduction. 

Since the show's not moving forward I'm gonna spoil what I know about the season, as I understand it from watching various audition tapes for the season online:

Spoiler

It was going to take place in Mercy Falls, a dying town in Washington state.  Madelyn, a tech CEO, arrives with a plan she claims will revitalize the town. She grew up in Mercy Falls; while many of her former classmates vaguely recall her as a mousy nobody, she remembers them all too well, particularly the popular clique that was known as the Magnificent Six.
Some of the Magnificent Six include Bailey, a C-level actress who returns to town to help her gay brother Chase, who's struggling with a brain tumor; Mary Ruth, who's married to Earl, Bailey's high school sweetheart; Lily, now a pastor's wife; and Ivy, who's trying to move beyond her checkered past by dating the Mayor. Now Madelyn wants to give them what she feels they truly deserve.

• Sad 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Cancelled.  I'm curious what happened.  Perhaps the story ideas Paramount Plus was pitched for Season 3 seemed less than compelling.   

WTH???

One of the comments in the article suggested   
that if they had changed the title to Star Trek: Why Women Kill,” maybe Paramount+ would not have canceled it.

Phooey. 😡   
Not to mention that it is a show that features complex female characters of various ages.

ETA: 
I just added this to my list of shows to remember for the 2023 PrimeTimer Awards for Most Painful Cancelation, which was very cathartic, although I realize this is:
——assuming the PrimeTimer Awards aren't cancelled next year, and
——assuming PrimeTimer is still here next year 
because I'm old and realize things and people go away and/or die and eventually the sun will swallow the earth.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
(edited)

I would’ve given it one more season. S2 had way too many plot holes and huh? moments for me to enjoy as much as S1, but it was on my radar. I wonder if this was about this show specifically or about Paramount+ plans for original content. It could even mean CBS is seeing softening in subscription and advertising revenues in 2H and beyond. Their PlutoTV channel earned something like $1B in ad revenue last year so why would Paramount pay for original content when it’s doing very nicely with content it owns outright. Paramount+ and Pluto have a lot of the same shows while the subscription fees are mostly for access to first run network shows. /Pure speculation. 

ETA: CRT’s spoilers. I would’ve definitely watched that!

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Cancelled.  I'm curious what happened.  Perhaps the story ideas Paramount Plus was pitched for Season 3 seemed less than compelling.   

It took them so long to renew to begin with, I thought for sure they'd already heard a pitch. 

I'm very upset. I loved both seasons.  I also thought they liked the series because it brought people to the service.

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Star Trek: Why Women Kill

More like 1982: why Yellowstone women kill

• Love 2