Type keyword(s) to search

The Big Bang Theory - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The song is really sweet and cleverly written, so I can see why that’s a popular one.

A lot of my favorite moments are just great line readings, especially Leonard’s. Don’t always love how they wrote his character but he was great sometimes.

Panty Polarization:

Penny: “Leonard, remember when I said it’s on? Well, now it’s junior rodeo on.

Leonard: “Aw, not junior rodeo.”

Don't remember the episode name, somewhere in the middle seasons after Sheldon says something about Leonard replacing Penny with a brown bear:

Penny: “Like you could get a brown bear.”

Leonard: “Hey, I have a good job, I could buy salmon, you don’t know.”

I also love the whole scene in the episode when Amy is lying about her apartment being fixed because she wants to keep living with Sheldon. Sheldon and Leonard start speaking Klingon, Amy and Penny are speaking Amy’s made-up language, and then once that group has things figured out, Howard comes in and starts speaking Klingon. The later seasons weren’t very good, but that scene was hilarious.

Actually, the back and forth between characters in the first episode Amy and Sheldon are living together is also funny—Amy getting annoyed with Sheldon sleeping, Penny and Leonard dancing in their underwear after Sheldon moves out, and Howard and Bernadette calling and hanging up on Raj because they can’t decide whether or not they want to know the sex of their baby. (And later, Penny’s “the new neighbors are weird” after Amy and Sheldon argue and storm out to make out.)

Edited by HawkeyeLo
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, HawkeyeLo said:

Penny: “Leonard, remember when I said it’s on? Well, now it’s junior rodeo on.

Leonard: “Aw, not junior rodeo.”

Don't remember the episode name, somewhere in the middle seasons after Sheldon says something about Leonard replacing Penny with a brown bear:

Penny: “Like you could get a brown bear.”

Leonard: “Hey, I have a good job, I could buy salmon, you don’t know.

You're right, Leonard had some great lines.  Another brilliant one is when Sheldon is "driving" on the computer and he ends up on the second floor of the Glendale Galleria and mayhem ensues.  All Leonard says is "oh the pet store". But it's all in the delivery.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, HawkeyeLo said:

I also love the whole scene in the episode when Amy is lying about her apartment being fixed because she wants to keep living with Sheldon. Sheldon and Leonard start speaking Klingon, Amy and Penny are speaking Amy’s made-up language, and then once that group has things figured out, Howard comes in and starts speaking Klingon. The later seasons weren’t very good, but that scene was hilarious.

I love that scene too. Amy and Penny's code language is Ubbi Dubbi; it's been around hundreds of years but was popularized in the 70's by the children's show "Zoom".

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

The episode where Penny and Leonard argue about having her brother stay with them was just on and Leonard was just so obnoxious.  I absolutely don't blame him for not wanting the brother to come, that's not the issue, but in the end he gets his way and Penny is going to call her father to tell him now is not a good time for the brother to come.  And Leonard is angry when Penny tells him she will be "throwing him under the bus" in terms of explaining why now is not a good time!  For pete's sake, Leonard, you ARE the reason Penny has to make that call, this was not a mutual decision.  You convinced Penny to go along with what YOU wanted.  The least you can do is accept the blame!

• Like 1

I think Season 10 overall is my least favorite. It has three episodes in a row I don’t like starting with the one where Amy and Penny go to a spa. The whole “Leonard has stopped trying” thing feels like such a trope when 80% of the series he was always the one pursuing her, worried about losing her, joking about how she would leave him if he didn’t make her French toast in the morning, etc. 

(edited)
9 hours ago, deaja said:

The whole “Leonard has stopped trying” thing feels like such a trope when 80% of the series he was always the one pursuing her, worried about losing her, joking about how she would leave him if he didn’t make her French toast in the morning, etc. 

Agreed.  They basically spent the entire run of the series with the idea that Penny was too hot for Leonard and with him being insecure about it and then out of the blue suddenly he's the one taking her for granted?  It didn't make a lot of sense especially when she starts having some financial success and doesn't need Leonard to support her anymore - not that I ever believed that's why she was with him!  But you'd think, if anything, Leonard would have been even more insecure about keeping Penny when she was out earning him!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

I would love to see Young Leonard.  

I wouldn't.  I can't stand his mom and I think she was pretty abusive.  Just my opinion.

Of those choices in the article, I would love a Raj spin off, but I feel that would be hard to pull off unless he's in a totally different setting. How would they explain him not being with his friends (unless of course he was in a different location).

15 minutes ago, deaja said:

Of those choices in the article, I would love a Raj spin off, but I feel that would be hard to pull off unless he's in a totally different setting. How would they explain him not being with his friends (unless of course he was in a different location).

I guess he could be in London reunited with Anu but I think that's a pretty unlikely scenario for a spin off so probably not!

I hope they aren't going with the children of the main characters being the centre of a new show.  Unless they are going into the future the children would be pretty young still  - maybe on the Disney channel this would work - but not a mainstream sitcom.

And I really hope the idea of The Coopers without Sheldon or George is not going to happen.  No.

But then what do I know?  I was the one back in the day who said Young Sheldon was a terrible idea and would never work.  

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

And I really hope the idea of The Coopers without Sheldon or George is not going to happen.  No.

As much as I love Sheldon's family on YS if they lose George and Sheldon that would be tough to watch.  

5 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I hope they aren't going with the children of the main characters being the centre of a new show. 

If they were to do that I wouldn't be surprised if they made the kids the polar opposite of their parents. And that show would just be about random Gen Zers.  Or whatever comes after Gen Z.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

If they were to do that I wouldn't be surprised if they made the kids the polar opposite of their parents.

This reminded me of that comment Sheldon made in the first episode of BBT:

Sheldon: But then some poor woman is going to pin her hopes on my sperm, what if she winds up with a toddler that doesn't know if he should use an integral or a differential to solve for the area under a curve?

Leonard: I'm sure she'll still love him.

Sheldon: I wouldn't.

• LOL 1
47 minutes ago, deaja said:

I wouldn't.  I can't stand his mom and I think she was pretty abusive.  Just my opinion.

I agree. None of the potential childhood prequels works.  Amy and Leonard’s childhoods are too abusive. Howard’s was too depressing. With Penny and Bernadette there is no real hook. 

43 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

As much as I love Sheldon's family on YS if they lose George and Sheldon that would be tough to watch. 

Yeah. What was established in Big Bang Theory makes spinning off any of the Coopers really difficult. Missy and Georgie are strong enough characters to carry a series but are too limited by the story. 

Of all the BBT and YS characters the only ones that I would be in getting a spin-off is Raj or Paige. 

2 minutes ago, Dani said:

With Penny and Bernadette there is no real hook. 

Bernadette the ventriloquist pageant queen could be entertaining, but not enough to carry a series.

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

or Paige. 

That is intriguing.  I can't remember if Sheldon ever mentioned her on BBT.  It would interesting to see what happens to a child genius that grows up not enjoying being a genius. 

2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

That is intriguing.  I can't remember if Sheldon ever mentioned her on BBT.  It would interesting to see what happens to a child genius that grows up not enjoying being a genius. 

He never did. 

According to Variety, they are developing it as a hour long show. Which makes me think it’s a dramedy focusing on the Coopers after George dies or a Paige show. If they could make it work within the canon, I’d love to see a show centered on Paige and Missy. 

Bearing in mind that I am always wrong about these things, hearing that it will be a dramedy makes me think it is going to be some form of The Coopers.  Whether Sheldon is off screen most of the time or not it would be a way of continuing Young Sheldon without George. 

If it’s a spin-off about Paige then technically, it’s not a Big Bang Theory spin-off, it’s a Young Sheldon spin-off, as Paige was never a BBT character.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

If it’s a spin-off about Paige then technically, it’s not a Big Bang Theory spin-off, it’s a Young Sheldon spin-off, as Paige was never a BBT character.

True but the Variety report really only says that the are developing a show based on the IP. So anything BBT or YS would fit. The press is just jumping on it being specifically a Big Bang spinoff. 

Although now that I think about it, Variety also said it will feature a mostly new cast with the potential for familiar guest stars. If that’s true it also can’t be centered on the Coopers as a family. 

3 minutes ago, Dani said:

Although now that I think about it, Variety also said it will feature a mostly new cast with the potential for familiar guest stars. If that’s true it also can’t be centered on the Coopers as a family. 

If it's a dramedy somehow circling around characters from either show the Cooper family makes the most sense.  If it's not them I am definitely intrigued to find out what they're planning.  Not saying I'll watch but am intrigued!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
16 hours ago, Dani said:

True but the Variety report really only says that the are developing a show based on the IP. So anything BBT or YS would fit. The press is just jumping on it being specifically a Big Bang spinoff. 

Based upon the descriptions I am thinking it will most likely be about the university or about Stuart. It would be familiar enough to be the same world and allow for guest appearances without wondering every week where the OG crew are. I could also see a Paige spinoff or perhaps Medford outside of the Cooper family, but that is a "smaller" world with more continuity issues for any guest spots, We'll have to see if and when it gets on the air - after Young Sheldon I am not going to dismiss anything out of hand as I was one of the people who expected it to disappear after 13 not so good episodes.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I would have no interest in watching a show about Stuart.  I didn't care for his character at all.

The Stuart we first meet maybe but the Stuart that evolved into needy, suicidal and a total leech?  No thank you!  That said with the arrival of Denise (I think that was her name) he did seem to start to seem salvageable. 

• Like 3
On 4/13/2023 at 7:57 PM, Browncoat said:

I won't watch as I don't get HBO Max and have no plans to do so.

Somehow I managed to miss this bit of info.  Unless it ends up on a mainstream Canadian channel I won't be watching either.   

• Like 1
23 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I would have no interest in watching a show about Stuart.  I didn't care for his character at all.

20 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

The Stuart we first meet maybe but the Stuart that evolved into needy, suicidal and a total leech?  No thank you!  That said with the arrival of Denise (I think that was her name) he did seem to start to seem salvageable. 

I'm would not be particularly interested either. But yes the original character or the potential evolution at the end does have potential. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of what you can do that is connected, but not too connected. The easiest sale would be something with Raj - perhaps take a cue from Frasier and go with what they had set up in turning him into a Neil deGrasse Tyson popular science media figure, but I would bet if that was what they were developing they would announce KN was signed. And I think Kevin Sussman is talented and they could rework the character into something interesting by picking up some of the ideas they never developed. I will check it out no matter what they do if i still have Max by the time it comes out. They've surprised me in what they have done with spinoffs I had no interest in before...

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I agree about anything centered around Stuart. Although a show centered around the comic book store could be interesting if it was a completely different creative team. Otherwise they just don’t have the ability to write it without being tired, trope laden and most likely offensive. Which is my skepticism about any spin-off. 

On 4/15/2023 at 12:48 PM, wknt3 said:

The easiest sale would be something with Raj - perhaps take a cue from Frasier and go with what they had set up in turning him into a Neil deGrasse Tyson popular science media figure, but I would bet if that was what they were developing they would announce KN was signed

I'm still thinking that it would be a spinoff a la Frasier 2.0. Raj moves to a new city with a new job and characters to interact along with an update here and there via a guest appearance from Howard along with news about Leonard/Penny and Sheldon/Amy.  The big question is would Kunal  want to return to the role.

• Like 2

Who Asked For Another 'The Big Bang Theory' Show?

The short answer is obvious: we are, albeit indirectly. The Big Bang Theory averaged over 18 million viewers consistently, from Season 6 forward. The series finale, which brought to an end the longest running multi-camera sitcom in US television history, brought in 23.44 million viewers alone. The fifth season of Young Sheldon averaged over 7 million viewers, well under what its parent series was bringing in but still good enough to make it CBS' #1 scripted series. Those viewership numbers are difficult enough to ignore, but when one adds in the $125 million-$150 million ad revenue The Big Bang Theory was bringing in, and the $1 billion it brings in with syndication revenue, a new spinoff that brings in even a fraction of those numbers is a no-brainer for being given the green light.

I watch too much TV.  A family friend just got named as one of the  recipients of a 40 Under 40 Business Award and my immediate first thought was Raj and his "30 under 30" award from People Magazine.  Not even a "hey well done congrats", nope.  First thought, Raj!

• LOL 2

I've just gotten back into watching this show in reruns and I'd forgotten how obnoxious the ongoing storyline with Amy lusting after Penny was.  They were already doing the "ersatz homosexual relationship" with Howard and Raj, why did they think going down this road with Amy was funny?  Or maybe it was funny and it's just me that thinks it was stupid.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

I've just gotten back into watching this show in reruns and I'd forgotten how obnoxious the ongoing storyline with Amy lusting after Penny was.  They were already doing the "ersatz homosexual relationship" with Howard and Raj, why did they think going down this road with Amy was funny?  Or maybe it was funny and it's just me that thinks it was stupid.

I hated how Penny was clearly uncomfortable with Amy’s actions at times but the show seemed to portray Penny as being wrong for hurting Amy’s feelings. The  painting gift was a big example of this.

10 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

That was always creepy to me with Amy acting like that.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, deaja said:

the show seemed to portray Penny as being wrong for hurting Amy’s feelings.

In the episode I saw last night Penny and Bernadette have hurt Amy's feelings by going wedding dress shopping without her.  They feel bad and to make it up to her Bernadette makes Amy her maid of honor.  And from that point on Amy is just obnoxious.  They are way nicer to her than she deserves - I mean she insults Bernadette's looks for one thing! and makes it clear the wedding is all about her and what she wants as opposed to, you know, the bride!

At this point in the show it's hard to see why they put up with her!

• Like 4

Howard was obnoxious in the same way (with his attractions), but the show also seemed to think that was interesting or funny enough to portray, and all it did for me was make me annoyed. When they did it with Amy behaving as badly or worse, I was really angry. The show got a few things right, but it also got a few things very wrong.

• Like 3

I find Amy to be completely unlikable for a good portion of the time.  For example, in the parking lot battle with Bernadette, rather than Sheldon and Amy realizing that it was the university's decision, they act like Howard did something TO Sheldon. And then I know it is played for laughs, but breaking Penny's nose while aiming for Bernadette is just such an escalation.  

When Penny broke Howard's nose, she was justified in being angry with him.

When Penny dislocated her shoulder, she had a gentle moment with Sheldon who was helping her put a shirt on.  "Does that feel like an arm?"  "No."  "Then maybe you should let it go."  If that had been Howard, she would have reacted very differently.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

In the episode I saw last night Penny and Bernadette have hurt Amy's feelings by going wedding dress shopping without her.  They feel bad and to make it up to her Bernadette makes Amy her maid of honor.  And from that point on Amy is just obnoxious.  They are way nicer to her than she deserves - I mean she insults Bernadette's looks for one thing! and makes it clear the wedding is all about her and what she wants as opposed to, you know, the bride!

At this point in the show it's hard to see why they put up with her!

I hate that entire plot line. The worst part for me is when she barges in on Penny in the dressing room with the camera. 

I am finding many of the early episodes unwatchable because of Howard and Amy’s actions. 

9 hours ago, deaja said:

I find Amy to be completely unlikable for a good portion of the time.  For example, in the parking lot battle with Bernadette, rather than Sheldon and Amy realizing that it was the university's decision, they act like Howard did something TO Sheldon. And then I know it is played for laughs, but breaking Penny's nose while aiming for Bernadette is just such an escalation.  

Amy is so awful in that episode. I also can’t stand Amy in the episode where Bernadette is chosen for a sexy scientist photoshoot and Amy gets it cancelled. Or the Halloween episode after Howard dresses up as Sheldon. She really crosses a line in some episodes. 

For me it was a toss-up between Amy and Bernadette for least likeable.  In these earlier episodes that I'm watching now Amy is the clear winner.  We haven't really met Bernadette the Bully yet.   By the last few years I liked Amy (most of the time) and disliked Bernadette (a lot of the time)!

• Applause 1
On 7/11/2023 at 2:31 PM, Laura Holt said:

By the last few years I liked Amy (most of the time) and disliked Bernadette (a lot of the time)!

I feel like by the last few seasons, they had completely changed both of their personalities.  Amy went from zero social skills, no friends ever, to this person who cared about other's feelings and would explain to Sheldon when he missed them.  Bernadette went.... the other way.

I've been going down the youtube rabbit hole chasing James Corden this evening and one thing led to another and anyway did everyone but me know that Jim Parsons was in the Broadway revival of Boys in the Band?  Just me?  What was BBT related (in a way) is that one of his co-stars was Zachary Quinto who also played  Spock.  Or as Sheldon said:  Oh, no. They sent the wrong Spock. Live long and suck it, Zachary Quinto.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I didn’t realize Teller of Penn&Teller played Amy’s dad until very recently. Rewatching, it makes his fascination with Howard’s magic that much funnier. 

1 hour ago, deaja said:

I didn’t realize Teller of Penn&Teller played Amy’s dad until very recently. Rewatching, it makes his fascination with Howard’s magic that much funnier. 

I saw Penn and Teller do a show in Vegas yeeeeears ago and I remember “accidental bloody injury” being a staple of their routine, so Amy’s dad attempting a magic trick Howard taught him with a knife and bleeding profusely from it is very much an homage that I don’t think a lot of people picked up on.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
On 7/31/2023 at 9:42 PM, deaja said:

Amy and Sheldon's wedding was shown here today. Loved seeing Teller play to his persona with him being shut down by Kathy Bates as Amy's mom. Then Amy's mom wants to leave with Amy when the wedding is delayed by Amy and Sheldon working on super asymmetry because she thinks Sheldon is standing up Amy. Then Penny puts her in her place, and Teller gets to talk telling Penny "thank you". Love it.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Amy and Sheldon's wedding was shown here today.

I love the wedding!  Every single moment was perfect.  Clothing wise Penny's dress was so, so pretty.  I highly covet it even though I'd look ridiculous in it myself!  So many funny moments and good lines.  One stand out for me was Amy upon seeing Mark Hamill was the officiate rather than Wil Wheaton: "Another sci-fi guy with a beard. Seems lateral, but okay."

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
On 7/29/2023 at 5:32 AM, Laura Holt said:

I've been going down the youtube rabbit hole chasing James Corden this evening and one thing led to another and anyway did everyone but me know that Jim Parsons was in the Broadway revival of Boys in the Band?  Just me?  What was BBT related (in a way) is that one of his co-stars was Zachary Quinto who also played  Spock.  Or as Sheldon said:  Oh, no. They sent the wrong Spock. Live long and suck it, Zachary Quinto.

I loved it. And they played best friends (sort of). When I watched the movie, I was like "OMG, Shledon is friends with Spock, how cute!"

• Like 2

Was just watching The Proposal Proposal.  I don't understand why Bernadette and Howard were freaking out on baby #2. I mean they have a paid off home, he's an engineer and she has lucrative job at a pharmaceutical company. They should be surprised but he was acting like they were going broke or something with baby #2. 

• Like 2