Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: Getting Clearer Every Day

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's first season. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Thank you. It was playing on the radio yesterday, and I asked my dh what song that was and he said "you know that's Tommy Shaw" and I said yes but I couldn't remember what the name of ther band was.

In the middle of the Summer burn-off on my DVR. Rewatched the Pilot last night, I enjoyed it more than the initial time I watched it just knowing about the characters. Interestingly, I noticed they didn't start off with "It was 1980-something" just said, "It was September 4th"

As I continue to re watch the episodes I have to say, The Goldbergs may be the most FUN I have watching tv right now. Either that or Brooklyn 99. I have no illusions of the Goldbergs being great or clever or witty, but it is fun.

• Love 1

I love the show if I close my eyes when, for whatever reason, the Director and set designer ignore the seasons/weather and show green grass, leaves on trees and flowers planted all down the block in the middle of winter. On the repeat episode last night where the daughter lies so she can go to a toga party at a frat house near Villanova they mention that it's February 2nd. The show is set north of Philly and it looks like it's June 2nd in outdoor shots.

The interior set design rivals Mad Men in it's perfect execution down to the smallest detail but the exterior shots always look like the middle of summer. There are no leaves on trees in Philly on February 2nd and the grass should be brown (even if it's a "mild" winter). Seeing such a mismatch and lack of exterior seasonal details always takes me out of the show.

• Love 1
On 6/10/2018 at 7:48 PM, icemiser69 said:

I just started watching the show in syndication.  I have never seen it before. 

My gosh this series would be so much better if they would shit can the home movie crap at the end of each episode.  It annoys the shit out of me,  IMO, it comes across as self absorbed asshattery.  Ditch that shit and the series becomes much more watchable.

With all due respect, I can't agree.  Those home videos were my favorite part of a lot of the episodes, especially when you just watched something really crazy, and that's the part that's in the video!  Rather than "self absorbed asshattery", I like knowing that most of the early seasons were based on things that actually happened.

• Love 15
On 6/10/2018 at 7:48 PM, icemiser69 said:

I just started watching the show in syndication.  I have never seen it before. 

My gosh this series would be so much better if they would shit can the home movie crap at the end of each episode.  It annoys the shit out of me,  IMO, it comes across as self absorbed asshattery.  Ditch that shit and the series becomes much more watchable.

I think it shows what a SUPER annoying kid Adam must have been :)

• Love 5
On 6/17/2018 at 10:24 AM, ByTor said:

I agree.  I find it interesting that Adam is the most annoying part of the show and he is the one whose life this is all based upon.  I'd be fine seeing a show with just Murry, Beverly, Barry, Erica, Gramps, and their friends.

• Love 2
On 6/17/2018 at 11:24 AM, ByTor said:

I find Show Adam more tolerable than Real Adam, same with Murray. Show Murray yells a lot but the actor brings in quite a bit of loveable oafishness to the role. Real Murray sometimes comes across as just hateful. Show Adam is nerdy but also pretty self-aware. I don't know how to describe Real Adam using anything that wouldn't be offensive. He seems really high strung and young for his age. 

• Love 4

I’d never seen an episode of this show before, but today for whatever reason I flipped onto TV Land by accident and got sucked into watching several episodes of their marathon throughout the afternoon.

It’s very charming.  One of things that I liked was that the kids did stuff together as siblings from time to time, even though they also got on each other’s nerves.  A lot of sitcom siblings only interact to trade one-liners or to be antagonists, but the kids’ relationships with each other seemed more nuanced here. 

• Love 2