Type keyword(s) to search

Sonic The Hedgehog (2019)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, BetterButter said:

LOL! The character design was probably already in the process of being redone after the reactions from previous first looks/audience testing. Because - no - they're not just suddenly going to decide to do that 5 months out from release because of the internet.

The real question is will the negative publicity of putting out this trailer with the ... controversial Sonic design be worth it?

• Love 1
On 5/3/2019 at 4:55 PM, Trini said:

LOL! The character design was probably already in the process of being redone after the reactions from previous first looks/audience testing. Because - no - they're not just suddenly going to decide to do that 5 months out from release because of the internet.

The real question is will the negative publicity of putting out this trailer with the ... controversial Sonic design be worth it?

Nah.  They had no idea it would be that bad.  If they had they would have not released that trailer as it was.  They would have done the redesign first and even if the whole film hadn't been redone, would have at least redone the scenes in the trailer.

The redesign is fine- the bigger concern is that Jim Carrey is still the only interesting thing in the trailer.  Otherwise, is it weird that I can’t get past the fact that Sonic sounds like Dewey Duck? I mean, they both make Ben Schwartz noises.

(edited)

I am not super connected to Sonic and its cannon, but I did grow up on the games and was quite familiar with the cartoon, so this was a really fun ride for me. Jim Carey is going full Carey on us, and seems to be having a blast doing it again, and Sonic looks WAY better that whatever was in the horrifying first trailer. Just a fun cute movie, with a lot of likable actors and Sonic being Sonic! 

I also liked that the main couple never had any forced drama with the wife not believing the husband that he was innocent of any crimes or that they were having marital problems and needed to come back together or even that they were trying to have a baby and were unsure about it, they were just sweet and got along and were there for each other. I especially loved Maddie making Tom two birthday cakes, one for each possible way his job hunt could go. Plus, James Marsden and Tika Sumpter are such likable, winning actors, that they can do a lot with a little when it comes to characterization. 

"And our Blue Devil! Which as everyone can see is a very real creature, and not at all invented by me!" *starts chainsaw*  Alright, in the sequel, more Crazy Carl. Or should we call him Observant Carl?

Plus, TAILS!!!!!!!!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

I rented this today and it was cute movie. Definitely would have been worse had they stuck with that first hideous design.

Surprised that Sonic was voiced by Dewey Duck on the new Ducktales!

Jim Carrey was a great choice for Eggman, but he kind of overdid it like he always does. Just saying...

Loved seeing Tails at the credits!

• Love 1