Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Recovering the Satellites

• Start Topic

(edited)

I was bored yesterday and turned this on to binge on Netflix.

I was in middle school with the original so I enjoyed they are all older on this one because I'm older. 

I actually quite liked it. I liked that I could watch them back to back where I didn't have to wait for the cliffhangers. It seemed to move quickly where things were put out there so I did like that too.

Of course Max isn't dead so I didn't very much think of that cliffhanger. 

I thought Liz and Max were set up pretty well but then as they kept going, I kinda lost interest. It's funny, the actor who plays Max sounded alot to me like Milo (Jack from This is Us) when he was speaking at times. I know random...

I actually was on board the Michael and Alex train but Michael and Maria have really good chemistry too. I think Michael is the most interesting character out of all of them because he has the dark humor and yet super sensitive side. He's the most complex and also the most misunderstood. I think he's my favorite from watching the beginning to the end of the season.

I liked Kyle too. I thought they did a good job of putting him with the group and yet he had his own story too. His chemistry with Liz was good and I very much liked to see him kicking ass and taking names. He's not just a fringe character looking pretty though he really is.

Overall it's not a bad watch all at once. 

Edited by emjohnson03
  • Love 6

Catching up on the finale. I do wish they had kept Noah he was interesting villain, had he escaped and come back that would’ve made a great antagonist next season. Nathan Parsons is pretty. 

Everyone has touched on mt thoughts regarding the triangle with Maria/Michael/Alex, but I did have to give the actress a good bit of credit when she looked  at Michael’s healed hand- something was certainly not right. And just like Michael said people were going to notice!! I bought Liz’ grief over not actually dead Max. 

When are we getting season 2, next Jan?

• Love 2

Just watched this. I think the actors are all decent but I really like whoever is playing Michael. I know, I'll look it up*. The scene with his mother was pretty wrenching, only I had to laugh at the image of the kid with clown wig hair. It kind of broke the mood. 

*Michael Vlamis

• Love 3

And... that's it for season 1. It's over. Did I kind of enjoy it in all its ridiculous, badly-written, badly-acted glory?

Umm... yes.

As a binge watch it was brainless fun. I still wish it had managed to fulfil the promise it seemed to be making as a discussion of immigration and refugees. Or maybe I just wish it had been more tightly written with better characterisation and more time to let characters breathe and interact with each other. The shallow interactions, the angsty plot-related discourse, the flip flopping everyone did all the time. In the end I just decided to laugh and move on. If I was a viewer who was really invested in the show I would imagine I'd be quite annoyed.

I mean, I still have no clue who Max is, who he's supposed to be or why he does anything he does. He's so badly characterised and so badly acted. And did Michael spend the entire episode talking about how much he loved Alex and how he didn't even care about his family's role in hunting aliens and how he wanted the courage to be happy... and then go hook up with Maria instead? What the hell even is that? Poor Maria. 

So as I wind up season 1 I look back on all I have learnt and I can say:

1. Michael is the sexiest ET cowboy ever

2. Liz is the worst scientist ever

Farewell. 

• Love 2
On 4/24/2019 at 1:19 AM, Cristofle said:

I wondered how she ever was going to undo Max's legitimate sin when it came to Rosa, and being willing to give up his life to resurrect her does go a long way.

Good point, except Liz had forgiven him way before that, which I felt was un-earned - should have saved her forgiveness for after his big sacrifice. Also not clear if he knew resurrecting her would kill him.