Type keyword(s) to search

The Dropout In The Media

• Start Topic

A limited series picked up by Hulu;

Exactly one year after Fox Searchlight launched a television division, the company has landed its first series order. I have learned that Hulu is closing a deal for The Dropout, a limited series starring and executive produced by Kate McKinnon based on ABC News/ABC Radio’s podcast about the rise and fall of Elizabeth Holmes and her company, Theranos.

Emmy-winning Saturday Night Live star McKinnon will play the disgraced wunderkind entrepreneur Holmes and will executive produce the limited drama series, whose length is expected to be between 6-10 episodes...

According to the podcast’s description, “the story of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos is an unbelievable tale of ambition and fame gone terribly wrong. How did the world’s youngest self-made female billionaire lose it all in the blink of an eye? How did the woman once heralded as ‘the next Steve Jobs’ find herself facing criminal charges — to which she pleaded not guilty — and up to 20 years in jail? How did her technology, meant to revolutionize healthcare, potentially put millions of patients at risk? And how did so many smart people get it so wrong along the way?”

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, Friendly kitty said:

Interestingly, it will be a story based on real events?

It's based on the story of Elizabeth Holmes and her fake blood testing company Theranos, which was featured in the incredibly well-received book Bad Blood, a podcast, and an HBO documentary.  All three cover the story, but this is based specifically on the podcast.

• Love 1
On 2/22/2022 at 2:03 AM, chocolatine said:

Between this show and Super Pumped, I'm here for the stories of disgraced Silicon Valley CEOs. Plus, Naveen Andrews! I've had a crush on him since Lost.

Don't forget WeCrashed!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I was so disappointed when Kate McKinnon DROPPED OUT... ( hahaha ) and Amanda took over but wow the previews look good!

I tried to watch Amanda talk about this show on Late Night with Seth Meyers and while she is a good actor, oh boy, as a talk show guest.  I can barely follow her thoughts.  She barely got out full sentences.  She didn't reveal anything, just talked about farm animals the whole time.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:03 AM, chocolatine said:

Between this show and Super Pumped, I'm here for the stories of disgraced Silicon Valley CEOs. Plus, Naveen Andrews! I've had a crush on him since Lost.

Oh. I. Love. Him. !!!!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I tried to watch Amanda talk about this show on Late Night with Seth Meyers and while she is a good actor, oh boy, as a talk show guest.  I can barely follow her thoughts.  She barely got out full sentences.  She didn't reveal anything, just talked about farm animals the whole time.

Yeah, I actually am very impressed by Seyfried as an actress because what I’ve seen of her in interviews, she seems super flaky. 

• LOL 1
52 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Yeah, I actually am very impressed by Seyfried as an actress because what I’ve seen of her in interviews, she seems super flaky. 

LOL.  I was going to say "scattered".

• Love 1

Wow if nothing else, Holmes has inspired several books and TV shows.

Will be interested to see how far this goes, what is the verdict after all the episodes are streamed.

Super Pumped is not getting good reviews at all.

Just now, peachmangosteen said:

I am assuming it’s on Disney+ in another country. It’s on Hulu in the US.

That is what I am afraid of. Phooey. I saw a special on her and wanted to watch this. 

9 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

That is what I am afraid of. Phooey. I saw a special on her and wanted to watch this. 

I think Hulu has a one-week free trial, so you could wait until every episode has aired and then binge-watch them all in one week.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

So now we're going to have to wait weekly for each new episode even though I just inhaled the first 3.  How the heck am I going to do that?!?!??!!?

Same 😭😭😭

• Love 3

Watching Amanda on The Kelly Clarkson Show.  She's so much more coherent here than when she was on Seth Meyers.

Maybe she has a crush on Seth?

Talking to Kelly definitely helps.  Kelly is so fucking scatterbrained she makes Amanda look like Shakespeare.

• LOL 4
16 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Watching Amanda on The Kelly Clarkson Show.  She's so much more coherent here than when she was on Seth Meyers.

Maybe she has a crush on Seth?

Talking to Kelly definitely helps.  Kelly is so fucking scatterbrained she makes Amanda look like Shakespeare.

Amanda and Kelly were both on All My Children at the same time, so they go back a ways. Oof, never mind. I saw “Kelly” and was thinking Kelly Ripa. Whoops!

Edited by kariyaki
  • Useful 1