Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipation for Cowboy Bebop (2021)

• Start Topic

TUDUM: A Netflix Global Fan Event

On September 25, Netflix biggest stars and creators from around the world — representing over 70 series, films and specials — will join the virtual stage for this exciting day full of exclusives and first looks. It's our first ever global TUDUM event, and our goal is simple: to entertain and honor Netflix fans from across the globe. A Countdown Clock is here.

Some Netflix series I am interested in include: Big Mouth, Cowboy Bebop, The Harder They Fall (MOVIE), Inside Job, Super Crooks / スーパー・クルックス, The Umbrella Academy, The Witcher, and The Witcher: Blood Origin. A more thorough List of Titles can be viewed here.

Expect major announcements and trailers from Netflix properties during the event, which is free to view.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I don't like Faye's outfit, the colors are too dark and muted.

I agree. I like the look overall, but even if they just gave her a more sheer stocking and added a brighter red leather jacket to emulate her red wrap, that would brighten it up a lot.

Edited by Valerie
  • Love 1

Daniella Pineda would like to address anyone who criticizes her portrayal of Faye Valentine.

Spoiler

If Daniella has any high resolution video of the problems she had with her first outfit, I would be willing to analyze it in hopes that these problems can be rectified before the filming of Season 2.

• Love 1

UK-based publisher, Titan Publishing, in conjunction with Netflix has 3 new "Cowboy Bebop: Live Action Netflix TV Series" books scheduled for release.

First is a prequel novel telling of events prior to the start of the Netflix series entitled "Cowboy Bebop: A Syndicate Story: Red Planet Requiem".

This novel, from live-action series staff writer Sean Cummings, will give longtime fans of the property a story they’ve long hoped to know. It will follow a young Spike Spiegel and Vicious during their time as friends and rivals as part of the Red Dragon Syndicate. This is, of course, the criminal organization to which Spike once pledged undying loyalty. Go figure, he broke away from them, and in the series proper, they want him dead. Spike’s history with Vicious, both vying for the love of Julia, plays a big part in our hero’s life.  

"Cowboy Bebop: A Syndicate Story: Red Planet Requiem" will hit shelves in November 23, a little after Netflix releases the TV series on November 19 on Netflix.

Second is a 4 issue comic book series entitled "Cowboy Bebop: The Comic Series". 

CB1_Covers.jpg

Set in the year 2171, the bounty hunter crew of the spaceship Bebop chase an ex-gang member who holds a vest which gives the wearer unlimited luck. This new series will be penned by DC Comics veteran Dan Watters (Sandman Presents: Lucifer, Home Sick Pilots) with art by Lamar Mathurin and will debut with a range of fantastic covers including cover art by comics legend Stanley ‘Artgerm’ Lau (he did the one pictured above).

This four-issue series will debut in December 2021. A collected trade will hit stands in May 2022.

Previous Cowboy Bebop comic books/Manga include a 1997 Manga series by Cain Kuga, and a 1998 Manga series by Yutaka Nanten

Third is a coffee table artbook entitled "Cowboy Bebop: Making the Netflix Series". 

This is a behind-the-scenes companion to the Netflix series “capturing the epic journey” to bring a beloved anime to live-action. Featuring an exclusive foreword by showrunner André Nemec and written by Jeff Bond. This book will have beautiful concept art and revealing behind-the-scenes photography on location in New Zealand. The cast and crew will tell the story of translating Cowboy Bebop faithfully for a new audience, and in a new medium.

"Cowboy Bebop: Making the Netflix Series" will come out in hardback on January 11, 2022.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, tessaray said:

I am going to be requesting a full forum for CB soon. Would anyone like to have a go at thread titles here before I do?

Anime Thread: The Real (Original) Folk Blues

That’s . . . that’s all I got. 🤷‍♂️

• Love 4

Once we have a full forum, we can create threads as needed. To get started though, we need (at minimum) a Small Talk and Media thread with clever titles. This one will go back to Anticipation.

Clever titles are not my strong  suit. 🙂

Maybe a thread something for the live action based Comics and also the Novel?

Social media and Behind the Scenes 

Fan Media (Fan art, fan videos, etc)

Edited by Testing

Glad they used the opening music and copied the open title sequence. I'm going to try and have an open mind. They haven't done anything majorly wrong (so far). However, the closer we get the more I worry they'll screw it up.

As well, if the first episode sucks I'll go back to the original.

There was one interview (I think I posted it?) where the showrunner seems to imply that Ed's appearance will be a surprise... or something. In any case, they're aware people are asking about it, and she's not forgotten. But it sounds like Ed won't be in this much, if at all.

On 10/4/2021 at 5:22 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

People are also up in arms about how they are presenting Gren and I have to agree, this is pretty cringy considering the original character's experimented on against his will.

Gren is non-binary though and said so in the original anime. It's not a surprise that Gren's background will be adapted to our modern times. If original source purists have a problem, they don't need to watch it. Complaining won't do anything.

Edited by Testing
On 10/4/2021 at 7:22 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

The complete absence of Ed is leading to me to believe she won't be included. Or at most she'll be an independent hacker they contact as needed. The few times she adds to the story could be accomplished that way.

Other speculation is that since this first season is only 10 episodes, Ed won't be introduced until Season 2.  Remember that Ed didn't join the crew until episode 9 of the original series.  Shifting "Jupiter Jazz" to before that (which we can assume is happening since Gren is known to be in this season) makes exactly 10 episodes.

• Love 1

This will probably be a UO but I do think Ed is a good candidate for something completely different.  A perfectly faithful live action recreation of the anime would be a waste of everyone's time. There have to be some surprises. 🙂

• Love 2
On 10/18/2021 at 8:55 AM, tessaray said:

This will probably be a UO but I do think Ed is a good candidate for something completely different.  A perfectly faithful live action recreation of the anime would be a waste of everyone's time. There have to be some surprises. 🙂

I’m speculating, at the very least, that Ed is going to be aged up, at least to teenage hood or maybe even older, whenever the character is introduced. And I could very well see the character being on the spectrum. I do think her character as presented in the anime, an odd child genius comic relief , might not translate that well to live action. 

Edited by HeySandyStrange
  • Love 2