Type keyword(s) to search

Abby's - General Discussion

ajsnaves
  • Start Topic

I've tried to ignore the fact that the premise (an outdoor bar in a residential neighborhood) is completely ludicrous, but I can't. I know they're somewhere in southern california but it NEVER rains there? Ever? Also are they paying off the fire marshall? But bottom line is I've lived in lots of neighborhoods and I've never lived in one that would allow an outdoor (for profit) bar in someone's back yard. Some folks would get that shit shut down faster than we can say Abby.

That said, I really am enjoying Natalie Morales. She's charming and she's good in the role. Almost all the other characters are straight out of sitcom central casting. I like Abby's relationship with Fred (the older guy who sits at the end of the bar.) They seem to have a history together and they have good dad/daughter chemistry. I also really like the young woman assistant bartender (don't know her name). She's funny.

The character of Beth, the "mother". Unlikable. She doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities. She drinks all night and leaves her boys alone to  (I assume they have a father). She's cold, snide, and sarcastic. I find myself feeling sorry for her fictional children. This character is a misstep I think.

The other characters are just stock. Easily replaceable. Don't care about them at all.

This show could easily have been set in a normal small town bar with all the same characters. It could be the "Cheers" that it wants to be. It wouldn't have to change much at all. This might also give it the opportunity to bring in new characters for something other than a 5 minute comic conversations.

I hope this show gets a second season, some new characters, a new bar, but keep NM and the funny woman bartender. And Fred.

I don't expect this to be read as there are no people here these days. Is it because the previously.tv forums reorg was such a disaster and no one can find anything? Any tips on a better place to go talk TV? It's more fun to watch when I can snark online after.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, zibnchy said:

I don't expect this to be read as there are no people here these days. Is it because the previously.tv forums reorg was such a disaster and no one can find anything? Any tips on a better place to go talk TV? It's more fun to watch when I can snark online after.

I think people aren't posting here because they just didn’t watch this show much (ratings are super-low); lots of posts for higher rated shows. And Abby’s most likely won’t be back for a second season. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, chitowngirl said:
18 hours ago, zibnchy said:

I don't expect this to be read as there are no people here these days

It has not been on for a few weeks. 

I think it has been on, I remember watching the episodes.

If you want people to actively post more on the show, you should post a few things yourself as conversation starters. I often do it if a board has low traffic.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Lots of good actors in the cast but it was a stupid premise.  I wonder if it would have worked better without the backyard bar story.  They could have put it in the ground floor of an apartment building that the nephew inherited and incorporated the tenants instead of neighbors who couldn't bear to stay in their own houses at night.  I got through a few episodes before I started to delete them from the DVR before watching because I had no desire to see any more.  I think they really wanted Cheers, but the effort to make it distinct failed.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, speeding through this (as the network apparently is) a I have to call bs on one thing. "I was a Marine". Was a Marine? Would any Marine say that?

Yes. All the time.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, speeding through this (as the network apparently is) a I have to call bs on one thing. "I was a Marine". Was a Marine? Would any Marine say that?

5 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Yes. All the time.

Agree. My neighbor says it. 

As for the cancellation, I'm not surprised, but I will be the lone voice saying that I liked the show - it made me laugh. I'm not pissed or heartbroken, and this won't go on my permanent list of lamented cancellations, but it was a pleasant way to pass 20 minutes, lol. Oh well.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 7
50 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Agree. 

51 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

6 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Yes. All the time.

Agree. My neighbor says it.

Oops, my misconception, apparently. I had the impression it's like being an Eagle Scout - you're never a "former" one.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oops, my misconception, apparently. I had the impression it's like being an Eagle Scout - you're never a "former" one.

No worries, there is the "Once a Marine, always a Marine" mindset, but I think when speaking, saying "I was" or describing someone as a former Marine is accurate and probably said without thinking.

• Useful 1
(edited)

@SoMuchTV said: 

No problem. For some ex-Marines (and yes, you can say that too, or not, as you wish), they do feel that way. I don't. I was, it was a long time ago, I'm not anymore. It wasn't all sunshine and roses, especially for women, and some of us would rather put the past far behind us and move on. Two years' service doesn't define my being. I'm prouder of my work with the Peace movement over the years.

That said, I started watching this for Natalie Morales (1) playing a former Marine (2). It's a bust. Bad writing, bad concept, no surprise it's cancelled. 

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

@SoMuchTV said: 

No problem. For some ex-Marines (and yes, you can say that too, or not, as you wish), they do feel that way. I don't. I was, it was a long time ago, I'm not anymore. It wasn't all sunshine and roses, especially for women, and some of us would rather put the past far behind us and move on. Two years' service doesn't define my being. I'm prouder of my work with the Peace movement over the years.

That said, I started watching this for Natalie Morales (1) playing a former Marine (2). It's a bust. Bad writing, bad concept, no surprise it's cancelled. 

LOL. In hindsight, I guess I just knew one or two very dedicated (ex?) Marines. 

As for the show, I would probably have watched it if it came back, but I'm not especially distressed if it doesn't.

https://www.primetimer.com/item/Natalie-Morales-calls-out-NBC-for-canceling-Abbys-KrSL2N

Good cast but the premise and writing were not good.  Diversity or lack of diversity is not going to have an impact on whether or not I am going to watch a show that simply doesn't hold my attention.  I have a feeling NBC didn't bother with much advertising because they realized the show was a dud.  She should stop complaining and push on her agent to find her better opportunities.

• Love 3
On 8/23/2019 at 3:33 PM, ichbin said:

https://www.primetimer.com/item/Natalie-Morales-calls-out-NBC-for-canceling-Abbys-KrSL2N

Good cast but the premise and writing were not good.  Diversity or lack of diversity is not going to have an impact on whether or not I am going to watch a show that simply doesn't hold my attention.  I have a feeling NBC didn't bother with much advertising because they realized the show was a dud.  She should stop complaining and push on her agent to find her better opportunities.

Yeah, she's on the inside.  She doesn't realize how it appeared to viewers.

Just popping in a couple of years late to say I liked it but didn’t love it. The backyard bar premise was weird and maybe hard to work with but I suspect that’s a part of why it was greenlit at all: the novelty of shooting a multi-cam in front of a live audience, but outdoors.