Type keyword(s) to search

Comedians You Would Like To See In Future Episodes

I'd love to see the basis for Elaine on Seinfeld.  Carol Leifer and Elayne Boosler.  Admittedly neither are huge names, but Jerry knows them both for SO long there are bound to be great stories.

This would also help alleviate the criticism Seinfeld has taken for his lack of diversity in who he's talked to on this show--although I suppose he's already taken that on board somewhat since his upcoming episodes include George Wallace, Aziz Ansari, and puzzling (to me at least) Sarah Jessica Parker.

Who else.  Hmm. After years being on my shit list (because he got on my nerves) I'd say Robin Williams impressed me enough on his now canceled The Crazy Ones that I might want to see him on this.  Yes, he will annoyingly dominate the conversation, but I imagine Jerry can handle it.

I'd also like to see a few current working comics lower down the totem pole, like Hannibal Buress or Nikki Glaser.  People still doing a lot of club dates, or just starting to climb the hill to bigger venues.  This would kind of be the swing side of talking to people like Boosler and Leifer--it would be the same talking about the roots of the comedy scene, but with the people currently climbing from there, not the people who occupied the same place with Jerry decades ago.  We need to see both.

The biggest problem appears to be that Jerry (who can pretty much do or not do whatever he wants) doesn't really want to do more than a handful of these each season.

• Love 2

Always enjoy seeing you on these comedy forums, Kromm. This was exactly the reason I wanted this thread to start going.

I posted about the female diversity issue in the Season 4 thread. I agree with you on a lot of points. I would like to see him have JLD on as well, since he's had David, Richards, and "Costanza" on already.

It seems that on the comedy totem poles there's 

Comedians in Cars getting Coffee/Headliner

@midnight/podcast phenom

Last Comic Standing/Club Circuit

Patton Oswalt, who is a big supporter of good comedy straddles those top two levels, he's a performer the caliber of the top level, but enjoys encouraging the up and comers by doing Podcasts, and showing up on @Midnight every once in a while.

I feel like Seinfeld could help elevate some careers by getting some of the top performers in that mid tier level on the show.

I'd love to see Amy Schumer, Key and Peele, Anthony Jeselnick, Maria Bamford, or Daniel Tosh do the show, since their comedy is so different.

Who's the youngest person he's had on so far? Seth Meyers?

(edited)

Always enjoy seeing you on these comedy forums, Kromm. This was exactly the reason I wanted this thread to start going.

I posted about the female diversity issue in the Season 4 thread. I agree with you on a lot of points. I would like to see him have JLD on as well, since he's had David, Richards, and "Costanza" on already.

I agree in the sense that it would make the set, but its actually why I felt having "real Elayne" (who's a melding of Boosler and Leifer, mostly Leifer from what I've always heard) might be best given how few of these Seinfeld makes.  The episode with Richards seemed more of a loyalty payback, maybe to support him after his P.R. disasters.  "Constanza" was just a comedy stunt they did to tie into the Superbowl but expanded a bit. So of that group, the "real" one without other motives was David... in other words his real life crony.  Given that Jerry doesn't seem to acknowledge "Real Kramer" (who's kind of a low-rent nut who scoops up the notoriety to run a Seinfeld Tour service in New York), that leaves Real Elayne.  

Patton Oswalt, who is a big supporter of good comedy straddles those top two levels, he's a performer the caliber of the top level, but enjoys encouraging the up and comers by doing Podcasts, and showing up on @Midnight every once in a while.

I'm confused.  Is this still in reference to a wish list?  Because he's already done Patton.

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/patton-oswalt-how-would-you-kill-superman

I'd love to see Amy Schumer, Key and Peele, Anthony Jeselnick, Maria Bamford, or Daniel Tosh do the show, since their comedy is so different.

I agree with many of those.  If "different comedy" is a notion, I'd go for Kristen Schaal.

Edited by Kromm

I'm confused.  Is this still in reference to a wish list?  Because he's already done Patton.

Sorry for the confusion. Patton isn't on my wish list, seeing as he has done an episode. I was referring to the comedy totem pole. How most of the folks that appear on this show wouldn't show up on something like @midnight, but the ones who are on @midnight have a little bit further to get to the level of most of Seinfeld's guests to date.  I was pointing out how in having done both shows, Oswalt is a big time comedian who gets that headliner acceptance from his peers but is happy to go on lesser known comedians podcasts or a show like @midnight to support the up-and-comers.

Sorry for the confusion. Patton isn't on my wish list, seeing as he has done an episode. I was referring to the comedy totem pole. How most of the folks that appear on this show wouldn't show up on something like @midnight, but the ones who are on @midnight have a little bit further to get to the level of most of Seinfeld's guests to date.  I was pointing out how in having done both shows, Oswalt is a big time comedian who gets that headliner acceptance from his peers but is happy to go on lesser known comedians podcasts or a show like @midnight to support the up-and-comers.

Oh, cool.  That explains it.  I guess that was implied by the "straddling" comment, but I didn't make the connection.  I thought you meant he was ideal for a future CICGC because he straddled, not that he was a good example of Seinfeld already casting/choosing appropriately.

I think it would be hilarious to see Jerry Seinfeld and George Lopez cruising East LA in a low rider!

That might be the only way that George Lopez is capable of being funny.

• Love 2

It would cool to see some more older comics show up. The Carl Reiner/Mel Brooks episode and the Rickles episodes were awesome. But are there that many old school comedians that are left (as they mentioned in the previous episode lots of those other guys (carson, Pryor, Carlin, Dangerfield) are dead)? Only well known ones I could think of would be Bill Cosby or Joan Rivers . She could be interesting, that documentary about her life was fascinating.

• Love 1

After watching the Sklar Brothers together, I think it would be hilarious to see Jerry deal with them prattering on together.

Though I think they may have been critical of Seinfeld in the past...that is pure speculation and could easily have been someone else.

I was thinking about it and I would kind of like to see Will Ferrel, although it would be with one gigantic if. I would only want to see him if it was Jerry actually having a sincere conversation with Jerry. No Will doing bits, no funny voices, no showing up in a speedo or that sort of thing.

Gene Wilder.

Bill Cosby.

Ray Romano.

Tracy Morgan  - as soon as he feels up to it.

Also I wonder if Jerry has tried to get together with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and just hasn't been able to because of her schedule?

I'm sure Julia is based on the west coast and I only recall a couple he did in L.A. and one in Vegas. I don't know if that makes a difference, but in those three he depended on the interviewee to take him to a coffee shop or restaurant, whereas in the tri-state area he always has a plan. He seems a little more comfortable in his realm.

I guess that Joan Rivers/Robin Williams double bill episode is out now?

There was a post today on Facebook about how the show was going to get Joan Rivers to be the get on the premiere of the new season. She had confirmed, but then they got a message saying that she was going to have to have a medical procedure done and she was going to have to postpone.

Jesus.  That would have been a really interesting episode.  I wanted Robin, too.  

But otherwise, I would love to see Lewis Black, Kathleen Madigan, Stephen Colbert, Eddie Izzard, Elayne Boosler, Billy Crystal, Carol Leifer, Paula Poundstone, DL Hughley, Craig Ferguson, Rob Reiner... I'm kind of a comedy geek; I could probably go on for pages.  But these ones come to mind because they are very funny, but also very smart and thoughtful, so I think they could produce an interesting conversation, and not just seem like they are doing their act for the whole show.

Edited by LADreamr

Jesus.  That would have been a really interesting episode.  I wanted Robin, too.  

But otherwise, I would love to see Lewis Black, Kathleen Madigan, Stephen Colbert, Eddie Izzard, Elayne Boosler, Billy Crystal, Carol Leifer, Paula Poundstone, DL Hughley, Craig Ferguson, Rob Reiner... I'm kind of a comedy geek; I could probably go on for pages.  But these ones come to mind because they are very funny, but also very smart and thoughtful, so I think they could produce an interesting conversation, and not just seem like they are doing their act for the whole show.

If you haven't seen David Steinberg's Inside Comedy, you should seek that out.  They've been able to bang out around 30 episodes of that, and it's longer format than Seinfeld's little thing as well (2 comedians per episode).

Hmm.  I thought we had an Inside Comedy forum here, but alas there is none.

Thanks, Kromm!  I had forgotten about this series, but you mentioning it made me excited to check it out.  It's only on Showtime, unfortunately, and Time Warner is already gouging me for HBO.  It looks like there are clips, though.  Hopefully there will be other ways to watch it soon, that I'm already paying for (Netflix, Hulu).

Thanks for the reminder!

On 6/18/2014 at 9:52 PM, Kromm said:

I'd love to see the basis for Elaine on Seinfeld.  Carol Leifer and Elayne Boosler.  Admittedly neither are huge names, but Jerry knows them both for SO long there are bound to be great stories.

This would also help alleviate the criticism Seinfeld has taken for his lack of diversity in who he's talked to on this show--although I suppose he's already taken that on board somewhat since his upcoming episodes include George Wallace, Aziz Ansari, and puzzling (to me at least) Sarah Jessica Parker.

Who else.  Hmm. After years being on my shit list (because he got on my nerves) I'd say Robin Williams impressed me enough on his now canceled The Crazy Ones that I might want to see him on this.  Yes, he will annoyingly dominate the conversation, but I imagine Jerry can handle it.

I'd also like to see a few current working comics lower down the totem pole, like Hannibal Buress or Nikki Glaser.  People still doing a lot of club dates, or just starting to climb the hill to bigger venues.  This would kind of be the swing side of talking to people like Boosler and Leifer--it would be the same talking about the roots of the comedy scene, but with the people currently climbing from there, not the people who occupied the same place with Jerry decades ago.  We need to see both.

The biggest problem appears to be that Jerry (who can pretty much do or not do whatever he wants) doesn't really want to do more than a handful of these each season.

Robin Williams would not likely dominate the conversation due to the part where he is Dead.

I want Fluffy on this show.

Tig Notaro, Maria Bamford, Carol Burnett, Paula Poundstone, Leslie Jones, Maya Rudolph, Lena Waithe, Mindy Kaling - More women! I think there are only two out of twelve, on this new season

• Love 1

If we are talking ultimate wish fulfillment, I wish John Pinette could have been involved with this.  Still one of the funniest comedians I have ever heard, and he seemed like a nice guy as well.  RIP, John.  My boys have discovered your work, and they love you as much as we do!

• Love 1