Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E15: Stalking Horse

chitowngirl

If Harvey didn't want Donna to get involved, he shouldn't have told her what was happening. She was right that he wanted her to choose him, to choose him with complete confidence that he was going to fix things. No sympathy for Harvey from me.

Louis, asking his friends to buy him a $2000 is just revolting.

So, this whole Katrina and Brian storyline was just to get rid of Brian, and do damage to Katrina's character?  Who could have seen it that teasing a romantic story between those 2 was bad, besides almost everybody.  They couldn't just have them as colleagues, Katrina mentoring Brian, and nothing happening between them.  I liked them working together, didn't want the romance part of it.

I did like that Louis let Brian take the client with him.  Louis really has changed, and he knows that if they face off Brian won't hold back, and he's in for a good fight.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Louis, asking his friends to buy him a $2000 is just revolting.

Why? Not only are his friends extremely wealthy, as he said, but I'm sure in a firm as large as his, many people would consider going in on a joint gift. And it's not like buying a $2000 gift is a requirement... no one HAS to buy it. It's not as if they even *need* a registry. They're not a young couple starting out who need help purchasing diapers or bottle liners. They're an older, established, wealthy couple who is treating their registry like a wishlist and I could absolutely see Harvey or one of the other partners dropping that kind of coin (or junior partners splitting it). "Revolting" seems like an extreme reaction, to me.

I'm disappointed Donna didn't just tell her beau, "I think you should take Glen's deal. I don't trust Simon," or something to that effect - without actually outing anyone. I mean, she's Donna. She couldn't have figured out a way to get him to take the deal without tarnishing his honor or outing Harvey? That was a weirdly dumb plot line.

I also don't like Sam body checking the thug (who might've had a gun). I get it, she's tough. She kickboxes. But how much belief do I need to suspend? Maybe it's because I just hate everything about Katherine Heigl, but I don't think so. I think attacking a potentially armed criminal on a dark street was stupid. Not to mention, I had a hard time believing someone like this guy would turn himself in over his baby mama and kid. He'd rationalize that they'd just find housing elsewhere and he's better off in his kid's life than behind bars.

I miss Mike.

Edited by marcee
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, marcee said:

Why? Not only are his friends extremely wealthy, as he said, but I'm sure in a firm as large as his, many people would consider going in on a joint gift. And it's not like buying a $2000 gift is a requirement... no one HAS to buy it. It's not as if they even *need* a registry. They're not a young couple starting out who need help purchasing diapers or bottle liners. They're an older, established, wealthy couple who is treating their registry like a wishlist and I could absolutely see Harvey or one of the other partners dropping that kind of coin (or junior partners splitting it).

As you say, Louis and Sheila have money. They don't need a registry because they can afford everything for themselves. Asking people to buy them a $2000 stroller when they don't even need a registry because they can easily buy it all for themselves seems crass to me. Louis probably spends more than that on a suit.

I remember an Albert Campion story where as a baby gift, he bought a case of good port to be put away for the child's 21st birthday. I was impressed.

I totally agree.  I actually groaned when I saw Daniel F---ing Hardman show up.  Harvey didn't just eff up and lose a client, he created a situation that allowed a Hardman storyline, and that's unforgivable.

The resolutions to both the Katrina and Brian thing and the Louis thing were both pretty bad, too.  Cripes.  That's what I get for allowing myself to feel optimistic after last week's show.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:25 PM, statsgirl said:

As you say, Louis and Sheila have money. They don't need a registry because they can afford everything for themselves. Asking people to buy them a $2000 stroller when they don't even need a registry because they can easily buy it all for themselves seems crass to me. Louis probably spends more than that on a suit.

I remember an Albert Campion story where as a baby gift, he bought a case of good port to be put away for the child's 21st birthday. I was impressed.

Just like the amount of money being so trivial to Louis that he'd spend more on a suit, it is the same to a lot of people on his invite list.  If you are having a baby shower, people are going to want bring presents.  People love buying baby shit.  If you've ever thrown a baby shower, you know that the first thing invitees ask about is if there is a registry.  What should Louis do?  Put a bunch of "cheap" stuff he's not going to want on the registry and waste everyone's money that way?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

If you've ever thrown a baby shower, you know that the first thing invitees ask about is if there is a registry. 

The last baby shower I threw I was in my twenties and we were all just starting out. The only baby showers I've attended since then were for refugees who came to the country with little money and very few possessions and needed help with all the things a baby needs. Among my friends, instead of baby showers we give presents of clothes and books after the baby is born.

Maybe that's what bothers me about Louis putting expensive things on a baby registry; that in my experience professionals in their 40s of Louis and Sheila's pay grade don't have baby showers so the expensive present grab feels doubly wrong.  Anyway I'm stepping back now, I've said enough.

Oh yeah, the Donna flashback stuff.  First, it took me a while to figure out that that was supposed to be Young Donna.  It didn't look much like her at all IMO.  But besides that, I can't figure out how it's supposed to tie into what Donna's going through now.  Something having to do with Thomas?  Something about prioritizing family/loved ones over work?

• Love 3

Did they ever say whether Sheila knew about the mugging? It seemed farfetched given his injuries that she wouldn't, but there's never been a scene of them talking about it that I recall, and I don't know why they bothered to have her in the episode and not include her in this storyline.

(I can absolutely see Louis not wanting to tell her, for the same reasons he tried to hide it from people at work, but again, he was bruised to heck at a time when they were actively trying to conceive.)

Not to mention that after this episode, she certainly has the right to know that there's someone, incarcerated or not, with a giant grudge against her family.

~

I fail to see how Brian's decision is going to help matters with his wife. "Oh, yeah, that boss I was raving about yesterday? Still totally not sleeping with her. In fact, I just quit working for her. For completely unrelated reasons to you suspecting us of having an affair."

Edited by Emma9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/25/2019 at 7:40 PM, statsgirl said:

The last baby shower I threw I was in my twenties and we were all just starting out. The only baby showers I've attended since then were for refugees who came to the country with little money and very few possessions and needed help with all the things a baby needs. Among my friends, instead of baby showers we give presents of clothes and books after the baby is born.

Maybe that's what bothers me about Louis putting expensive things on a baby registry; that in my experience professionals in their 40s of Louis and Sheila's pay grade don't have baby showers so the expensive present grab feels doubly wrong.  Anyway I'm stepping back now, I've said enough.

I think it also depends on the circumstances.  People want to celebrate a much wanted first child.  The last shower I threw I had 2 cohosts because everyone was so excited and wanted to celebrate (all college educated professional adults in our late 30s).  Since Shelia is probably pushing 50, this conception is pretty much a modern miracle.  And Luis is super excited.  I can see his friends wanting to celebrate.  It might also be a regional thing.  I'm in Southern California and showers are the norm for weddings and first births.  Of course I've thrown lots of showers and never really did the dumb shower games, so maybe they don't count as showers.

• Love 2
(edited)

Donna is a C level exec at the firm. She may or may not have right to know the kind of detail that Harvey shared with her, but she should be fired for what she did. 

Edited by Fen Tiger
  • Love 2

I thought Donna was the COO.

The chief operating officer (COO), also called the chief operations officer, is one of the highest-ranking executive positions in an organization, comprising part of the "C-Suite". The COO is responsible for the daily operation of the company,] and routinely reports to the highest-ranking executive, usually the chief executive officer (CEO).

The COO is usually the second in command at the firm, especially if the highest-ranking executive is the Chairman and CEO.

• Love 1