Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Housewarming

• Start Topic

Strongest episode of the season for me so far. 

Drunk Ted is so funny and singlet Ted is very hot. 

The “I’m a light sleeper” / “it’s a design flaw” line had me laughing. 

I dunno how they write such amazingly funny scripts. This show is definitely one of a kind. 

Also, Roland is a schitt. Purposefully slamming the door shut. 

• Love 16

I always love hearing about Moira's old movies/tv shows/plays. Playing an astrophysicist who backpacks in Lebanon seems tame compared to some of the other stuff she has done!

Alexis has played it pretty cool with Ted since they got back together and I liked that she wasn't upset about him sleeping with Shannon, but I also liked that she kind of lost it this week for kissing David. I mean, that's HER BROTHER so her EWWW was not misplaced. But Drunk Ted was awesome. I want to see him more often!

Similarly, Patrick has mostly been the level-headed one so it was nice to see him get a little bent out of shape over Ted kissing David. I loved that instead of groveling and apologizing, David just went with it and told Patrick that he and Ted were running away together.

I'm usually not a fan of baby plots, but I liked that this one gave us the opportunity to remember that Moira and Johnny were not what anyone would call hands on parents to David and Alexis.

I loved the callback to Jared Leto because I still laugh about that conversation that David and Alexis had about him in S2.

• Love 18

This is the only show that I look forward to seeing every week. My hubby watches it as well, but last night he was playing a video that his daughter had sent him on his phone, and I sent him out of the room as I find you have to concentrate when you watch this show or you will miss great lines. I have watched this episode twice so far and still have to watch it once more, as I am sure there will still be jokes that I have missed. 

Moira was so funny - calling Roland Jr "it" pretty much every time she referred to him. I loved "For all we know its got crawling pneumonia". Because of course the baby isn't walking yet, so it could not have walking pneumonia. And Johnny assures her that the baby doesn't have crawling pneumonia. Priceless! I also loved when she told Ronald to have massaged out of his mind the thought that they might babysit again. Another favourite line was when the Schitts arrived, and Moira told them to be quiet, as she had just put him down, meaning Johnny. Lol. Oh, and John using presumably dirty gloves to change the baby's diaper. Or as Moira called it, the diaper substitution. 

I see Daniel co wrote this episode with one of the other main writers. I know he writes often for the show, but for me this episode was one of the funniest in the entire series. I don't know how this show has not won a Schitt load of awards, both for writing and acting. Heck, in every category! 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I don't know how this show has not won a Schitt load of awards, both for writing and acting. 

The show has actually won a lot of awards, including 14 Canadian Screen Awards (the equivalent of the Emmys and the Oscars combined). They have won in the acting categories (Eugene Levy, Catherine O’Hara, Emily Hampshire, and Chris Elliott have all won in their categories and Dan Levy, Annie Murphy, Noah Reid, Jennifer Robertson, and John Hemphill have all been nominated). The show has also won best comedy series, best direction, best writing, best editing, and best photography. The 2019 nominations will be announced tomorrow!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The show has actually won a lot of awards, including 14 Canadian Screen Awards (the equivalent of the Emmys and the Oscars combined). They have won in the acting categories (Eugene Levy, Catherine O’Hara, Emily Hampshire, and Chris Elliott have all won in their categories and Dan Levy, Annie Murphy, Noah Reid, Jennifer Robertson, and John Hemphill have all been nominated). The show has also won best comedy series, best direction, best writing, best editing, and best photography. The 2019 nominations will be announced tomorrow!

Thanks for that info. Though I am Canadian, I don't follow the Canadian Screen Awards (mostly because I have never liked a Canadian show before now, other than Mr D.). I am surprised though that this show hasn't been nominated for any Emmys or Golden Globe Awards. It does seem to be getting more recognition in the states so maybe it is only a matter of time. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Thanks for that info. Though I am Canadian, I don't follow the Canadian Screen Awards (mostly because I have never liked a Canadian show before now, other than Mr D.). I am surprised though that this show hasn't been nominated for any Emmys or Golden Globe Awards. It does seem to be getting more recognition in the states so maybe it is only a matter of time. 

In the United States, the show airs on Pop, which is a channel that a lot of people don't even know they have.* The show didn't really get popular in the U.S. until it became available on Netflix in 2017. The following year, it was nominated for a Critics' Choice Award and an MTV Award.

* First hand example - my sister has a cable package with a ton of channels, including Pop. She had never even heard of Schitt's Creek until it was on Netflix and even then, she didn't watch it until late 2018 when she binged the first four seasons. I told her that instead of waiting for S5 to be on Netflix, she could watch it on Pop and she had no idea she even had that channel until she looked for it. To be fair, there's really no reason to know about Pop because their original programming is D level celebrities doing faux reality shows and the only other stuff they show is reruns of mostly 90s/00s shows (Buffy, The OC, Dawson's Creek, Ghost Whisperer, 90210).

• Love 1

So I guess I'm the outlier, I didn't like it at all. I'm not really enjoying this season. The earlier seasons were good bc it was about the Schitts and the town. I feel like the scope of the show has become very narrow. The focus on couples is really wearing thin for me. And now we get babies are hard and cute storylines.  I'm probably not going to keep watching if it continues down this road.

• Love 3
On 2/9/2019 at 4:15 PM, cleo said:

So I guess I'm the outlier, I didn't like it at all. I'm not really enjoying this season. The earlier seasons were good bc it was about the Schitts and the town. I feel like the scope of the show has become very narrow. The focus on couples is really wearing thin for me. And now we get babies are hard and cute storylines.  I'm probably not going to keep watching if it continues down this road.

I hated the baby story line and would have loved seeing Moira at the party watching her Lifetime movie.

• Love 2

David eats out of the garbage, and in front of Patrick! I need to know what he ate last night.

Fun Ted! Also loved Stevie and David, "He could get it" expressions.

When the baby was being dropped off, Moira was quietly making peekaboo faces at him.

It took me this long to notice that Johnny and David have the same hairstyle.

Edited by killer.noona
  • Love 3
(edited)

Hubby and I have been binge watching this for a few weeks now.

I love how she was going to Ronnie's house to watch the movie dressed in her insane stilettos and the blouse with a million blinding paillettes.

As the evening wore on, she stayed with Johnny, lost the shoes, changed into a robe, and was the one who greeted Jocelyn and Roland at the door. She wasn't as incompetent as she pretended to be. 😉

Edited by aemom
Typo
  • Love 3