Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

On 8/5/2020 at 3:47 AM, bunnyblue said:

I'm watching "The Wedding" (famous for little Susan's "I'm Here! I'm Here! I'm Here!") and I can't get over Mary's perfectly manicured fingernails. For an 1800's blind country girl she had a hell of a talent for being able to maintain such long pretty nails. 

I've always thought Nellie looks odd when she runs, and I finally figured out why. For some weird reason instead of letting her arms swing like a normal person, she grabs the skirt of her dress with both hands, which leaves her arms awkwardly stuck to her side. This has the unfortunate effect of making her upper body look stiff while her boobs bounce from side to side. Now that I noticed it, I can't not notice it every time Nellie runs.

It drives me crazy that the show couldn't keep straight Caroline's maiden name. In "I Remember, I Remember", young Caroline's family are the Holbrooks, in a later episode Charles recalls falling in love with Caroline Quiner, in "Author Author!" her father is Frederick Holbrook, and then in "Whatever Happened to the Class of '56" she's back to being Caroline Quiner. And this constant screw up was only in the span of 2 seasons! Continuity was a foreign concept for the show.

If I am remembering correctly Holbrook is the last name of her stepfather and Quiner is the last name of her father who got lost at sea.  In the olden days there were a lot more remarries.  Did women change their names as much back then after remarriages?

3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Also in a later episode when Laura was fretting over her newborn son and the rarity of boys in the family, she talked about her brother but not a peep about her nephew. 
I mean, yeah she was worried about health and not about accidents but still.....

Perhaps she didn't even want to go there. 

7 hours ago, kav said:

If I am remembering correctly Holbrook is the last name of her stepfather and Quiner is the last name of her father who got lost at sea.  In the olden days there were a lot more remarries.  

I guess through the rewatches over the years I missed that fact when it was discussed on the show. So, I take back my criticism of the show regarding that point. I do find it surprising that young Caroline Quiner did not take her stepfather's last name, like the Sanderson kids becoming the Edwards, Albert Quinn becoming Albert Ingalls, and other randoms that I know I'm forgetting. Although those examples were adoptions, so maybe Frederick Holbrook never legally adopted Caroline Quiner even though he raised her from a young age and she called him Pa.

6 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

I guess through the rewatches over the years I missed that fact when it was discussed on the show. So, I take back my criticism of the show regarding that point. I do find it surprising that young Caroline Quiner did not take her stepfather's last name, like the Sanderson kids becoming the Edwards, Albert Quinn becoming Albert Ingalls, and other randoms that I know I'm forgetting. Although those examples were adoptions, so maybe Frederick Holbrook never legally adopted Caroline Quiner even though he raised her from a young age and she called him Pa.

I hope the Edwards kids didn't change their names again!  (whoever that "nice" man was)

There was a lot of adoption shows and Michael adopted one of his children from a prior marriage of Lynn's I think and with Dodie, her son mark who died, not sure what happened with Josh who he adopted with Dodie as an infant. It seems the later children were photographed or mentioned more, the earlier felt more left out but again, that might be the tabloids.

I didn't mind the heavy adoption scripts but hated the Cassandra/James plot line. I felt after saying he couldn't take The Sanderson's (although Grace was better choice) he later takes them. They didn't even think of taking the girl when the boys found a home to keep her close. I realize this was just plot based to get Mr Edward's married for a few scripts but the rationale later was dubious. We all know  Caroline couldn't have any more children but if she could, that house would have become way too small. As it was, Grace's cradle was never shown or bed since it interfered with Carries, so they just showed her snoozing in the highchair over and over. I hope that wasn't her bed  😉

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

Speaking of continuity (on this show???), Pa made such a big deal about Laura not getting married until she was 18, but when John Jr. proposed to Mary, she was 14, and when it looked like they were going to get married right away (instead of John going to college), he seemed perfectly happy about that.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, jird said:

Speaking of continuity (on this show???), Pa made such a big deal about Laura not getting married until she was 18, but when John Jr. proposed to Mary, she was 14, and when it looked like they were going to get married right away (instead of John going to college), he seemed perfectly happy about that.

Well Laura was his favorite. 

"12 Times LHOTP made you cry":

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, jird said:

Yes and Mary was allowed to marry at 16. But she was blind so that made it ok, I guess.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, SamShmam said:

Am I going to burn for finding Caroline's menopause episode hilarious?

I will buy a ticket on the Stagecoach to Hell and snag a seat next to you. 

Because I guffawed when Ma was blubbering on about being "some...some...NOTHING!!!"

And again, where was this when she thought she was going through THE CHANGE when she was really pregnant with Grace?

Finally, Doc La'Orange? MYOFB. 

Oh Lord...it's the intro of LHOTP's answer to The Bad Seed aka Nancy.

And we also get treated to Mary's very bad, horrible, no good, terrible wig.

• LOL 4
1 minute ago, CountryGirl said:

I will buy a ticket on the Stagecoach to Hell and snag a seat next to you. 

Because I guffawed when Ma was blubbering on about being "some...some...NOTHING!!!"

And again, where was this when she thought she was going through THE CHANGE when she was really pregnant with Grace?

Finally, Doc La'Orange? MYOFB. 

Oh Lord...it's the intro of LHOTP's answer to The Bad Seed aka Nancy.

Uhm....I don't think I've laughed this hard at anything this year. I'm not exaggerating. Thank you for your service, madam. DOC LA'ORANGE!!!! Dying. All of it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Although, will anything ever be as bad as Nellie's nutso cotton candy wig when she comes to visit and upsets Nancy?

image.png.f409a7a0813f13d7559e7c3b57524030.png

Edited by jird
  • LOL 5
On 7/15/2020 at 8:16 PM, jason88cubs said:

Crazy to think Michael Landon was on tv for 30 straight years with 3 different shows

very impresss=ive

My Mom used to call this show "Little Joe on the Prairie"😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, jird said:

Although, will anything ever be as bad as Nellie's nutso cotton candy wig when she comes to visit and upsets Nancy?

image.png.f409a7a0813f13d7559e7c3b57524030.png

I have such a hard time with the "new Nellie". I mean, I spent all those years wishing a pox upon her house, and now I'm just supposed to believe and accept that age and a good man have Eliza Doolittle'd her into this folksy, aww shucks person? I felt like it was such an Annie Wilkes, "Have you people got AMNESIA?! He didn't get outta the COCK A DOODY CAR" moment. I won't accept it. I won't.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

I actually do not know if it was discussed on the show.  The place that I remember it from was from "The Caroline Years" book series.

6 hours ago, SamShmam said:

My Mom used to call this show "Little Joe on the Prairie"😉

If Michael Landon hadn't died in '91 I'm convinced he would have tried a reboot in the late-90's focusing on Rose Wilder as a tween, especially given how popular the series had been in syndication. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, SamShmam said:

I have such a hard time with the "new Nellie". I mean, I spent all those years wishing a pox upon her house, and now I'm just supposed to believe and accept that age and a good man have Eliza Doolittle'd her into this folksy, aww shucks person? I felt like it was such an Annie Wilkes, "Have you people got AMNESIA?! He didn't get outta the COCK A DOODY CAR" moment. I won't accept it. I won't.

I just tell myself that Percival really threw it down in bed and Nellie got out her aggression that way.

• LOL 12

My reaction was relief. She seemed happier and if Laura could forgive and forget I could.

I saw this 10 years ago. One of my favorite things on YouTube at the time were DALLAS-style intros to other shows like Star Trek. If I had the time to look over all the footage I'd make ones of all my favorite shows. God bless the person who made this one:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I just tell myself that Percival really threw it down in bed and Nellie got out her aggression that way.

Percival does give out some big D energy, that's for sure.

• LOL 7
9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

If Michael Landon hadn't died in '91 I'm convinced he would have tried a reboot in the late-90's focusing on Rose Wilder as a tween, especially given how popular the series had been in syndication. 

Ya KNOW he would have milked this show within an inch of its life. Man was a white Tyler Perry with his schmaltzy commercial longevity, although I was too young for Bonanza and by the time it came out, and too cynical for Highway to Heaven.

Edited by SamShmam
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

My reaction was relief. She seemed happier and if Laura could forgive and forget I could.

I saw this 10 years ago. One of my favorite things on YouTube at the time were DALLAS-style intros to other shows like Star Trek. If I had the time to look over all the footage I'd make ones of all my favorite shows. God bless the person who made this one:

That was made of awesome. Also, what does it say about me that I can pretty much recall which episode/what was happening with all the character split-screens? Like the one for Pa, the middle one is where he's reuniting the about to divorce Garveys through the power of church giggling.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

A thought that struck me while watching The Bad Seed two-parter (Nancy's intro) was damn, DripLip moved on FAST. Just 5 mere episodes ago he was declaring true wub foreva with Sylvia. 

And now he's all about Belinda.

But I guess it's better than Pa and Ma moving on to talking about future grandchildren from Half-Pint and Manly 3 episodes after Baby Battering Ram.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, SamShmam said:

Ya KNOW he would have milked this show within an inch of its life. Man was a white Tyler Perry with his schmaltzy commercial longevity, although I was too young for Bonanza and by the time it came out, and too cynical for Highway to Heaven.

Michael Landon is also like Garth Marenghi,  the main character of the hilarious 2004 British horror parody show "Garth Marenghi's Dark Place". A novelist with this quote:

p8om0j2r0p841.thumb.png.e9254113cb2ae93c39be4a594ff9d8c5.png

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, SamShmam said:

Yeah, I really think had he lived, he would have totally done a Rose Wilder show about ten years after the show ended that would dramatic liberty with her actual life. I could have totally seen a syndicated revival airing on The Family Channel in the mid/late 90's. He was already making up shit like Rose getting accidentally kidnapped before the short-lived retooling got cancelled. I'm sure he would have had her nursing Spanish American war veterans or something.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 3

Was anyone permanently traumatized by any of these episodes? I swear, I had to do EMDR therapy for the one where Laura gets kidnapped by the gal who lost her daughter. There were several others that kind of made me regress back into the womb and I was wondering if I'm alone in this or if it's been discussed ad-nauseam and I'm just late to the party, as always.

To date, I always find the Caroline tragedy ones (where she gets tetanus or whatever) to be sheer comic relief. I really have it in for Caroline, and I'm not sure why. 

Edited by SamShmam
  • Love 1

We've discussed from time to time, after a particularly unsettling episode, which, as time wore on, became every other one.

To this day, I still cannot watch that part in Sylvia where the mime rapist, having learned Sylvia's whereabouts from DripLip, shows up at the barn and you see just Sylvia lying behind something, sleeping, in close up. Then the door opens and you see nothing for a few moments, then the bluejeanned leg of the rapist and then see him start to approach, still in hazy far away focus, which is more chilling than if he were in full focus, IMO.

Creepy as F!

I also can't stand to watch the final scene of the Sylvia two-parter with DripLip and Sylvia - the "kiss me, my wuv" but for very different reasons.

• Love 3

We've discussed from time to time, after a particularly unsettling episode, which, as time wore on, became every other one.

To this day, I still cannot watch that part in Sylvia where the mime rapist, having learned Sylvia's whereabouts from DripLip, shows up at the barn and you see just Sylvia lying behind something, sleeping, in close up. Then the door opens and you see nothing for a few moments, then the bluejeanned leg of the rapist and then see him start to approach, still in hazy far away focus, which is more chilling than if he were in full focus, IMO.

Creepy as F!

I also can't stand to watch the final scene of the Sylvia two-parter with DripLip and Sylvia - the "kiss me, my wuv" but for very different reasons.

Chirst on a cracker, this is disturbing. I must have blocked this from my memory because it didn't even ring a bell. While reading your description I thought, who would write a screenplay with a MIME raping a child? So I googled it and found this (You've probably seen these, but I just discovered them and I'm dying). I don't even know what to say. I'm just trying to get this straight...so this abortion of a plot line wraps up with Syliva (the child RAPED BY A CHIRSTING MIME) in bed, kissing Albert? 

And you're right, pretty much every other episode is emotionally marring, yet still hilarious. What a combo.

OMG

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, SamShmam said:

I can't watch anything else. There are longer ones too

Ok, I may look like a dope here, but did Adam lose his sight again? What did ever happen to Mary and Adam? Did they just move away? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

The sound effects are killing me. 

*MURDEROUS*. The sound effects send me into uncontrollable fits. My husband, on the other side of the house (which isn't far, we're not exactly the freaking Olesons), cracked up at my guffaws.

• Love 2

Hi!! I’m so glad I finally got over here! I lurked on TWoP’s LHOTP forum for YEARS without ever commenting. I finally found the old forum on the Wayback Machine—and then saw this place. I spend HOURS reading the old forum—OMG 😂😂😂 SO happy they saved it—I was up til 3:00 am one night on there totally LMAO. It’s like therapy! 🤣

Just saw the Thylvia episode the other day on Hallmark & the Baby Battering Ram at the mline school one.... 

Wondering why the Hallmark channel cuts some of the scenes that aren’t disturbing or anything...weird.

Anyhoo, happy this place is here & so glad to see familiar names. ❤️I’m gonna make it a point to visit here often for the hilarity and fun! Now I gotta’ go back and relive some stuff from the old forum...😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Someone pointed out that waaay back when LHOP was on commercials were the most 2 minutes.  Now that has changed and they would constantly cut the show to fit them in. One fan posted some pretty touching scenes that were long forgotten that were on DVD but not TV.

Those videos are funny but Sylvia will always be someones nightmare that went on paper. The only comic relief was "Harriet: (after finding out that Willie was peeking through Sylvia's bedroom window with the other boys) How can you be a Peeping Tom?!
Willie: I can't, my name's Willie!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Superclam said:

Ok, I may look like a dope here, but did Adam lose his sight again? What did ever happen to Mary and Adam? Did they just move away? 

He did not - the YT video creator hilariously spliced in the scenes where Charles was told Mary was going blind. They moved to New York City where Adam took up a position in his late father's law firm. 

Also, the 6 million-dollar man sound effects while Adam did his Prance of Sight were made of awesome.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

He did not - the YT video creator hilariously spliced in the scenes where Charles was told Mary was going blind. They moved to New York City where Adam took up a position in his late father's law firm. 

Also, the 6 million-dollar man sound effects while Adam did his Prance of Sight were made of awesome.

Thanks, I think I would have remembered Adam going blind again. And yes, the 6 million dollar man stuff was hysterical. 

I just watched the 130-second one takes us through "The Albert Barfs Up Drugs" two-parter so masterfully.

I dare you to watch without laugh-crying. I'm still wiping away tears.

This is genius. And going back to a previous post, I don't know if Mary says "mline," but Doc Baker definitely says "morFEEN." 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

"you're going to live!!" in the Albert 130 second episode so made me laugh.

So does Albert die later on from nose bleeds? or become a doctor?

I liked how suddenly Walnut Grove had a medical delivery. So convenient. 

That put me over the edge. My hands went numb I was laughing so hard. I'm not sure how that happened, but it did. At least I didn't go mline.

I nearly stroked out at this one.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, SamShmam said:

That put me over the edge. My hands went numb I was laughing so hard. I'm not sure how that happened, but it did. At least I didn't go mline.

I nearly stroked out at this one.

This wasn't as funny as the actual episode, and Charles' GI Joe beard. 

• LOL 3
2 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I've got to ask what the hell happened in that episode? makes it look like some kid rose from the dead

No, just rose from a coma despite all doctors saying he wouldn't because Charles built a stone altar and then some scraggly mysterious old man appeared out of nowhere. What? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2