Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

I still always crack up at "Once Upon A Time" -- where Laura's publisher wants her to change her stories to add more DRAMA!  And of course, she refuses because she has integrity or something like that.  And the very next (2) episodes are "Home Again - parts 1 and 2"!

The ones where "Albert" -- the completely MADE-UP, nonexistent adopted brother, added to the series for DRAMA -- joins a gang (DRAMA!) gets addicted to mor-PHINE in the Big Bad City (more DRAMA!) and Charles has to bring him home to Walnut Grove and help him kick it cold-turkey (DRAMA!)  And it becomes the "Little After-School-Very-Special-Just-Say-No-To-Drugs-Episode"!  Cause, DRAMA!

And all this takes place after Nonexistent Albert sneaks a smoke and burns down the Nonexistent Blind School and kills Mary's (Nonexistent!) Baby, peeps at (Nonexistent!) Sylvia, get accused of knocking up Sylvia (ok, falsely accused), etc., etc., etc......

Laura wouldn't make up stories for DRAMA.  Michael Landon, OTOH.....

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
17 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

I still always crack up at "Once Upon A Time" -- where Laura's publisher wants her to change her stories to add more DRAMA!  And of course, she refuses because she has integrity or something like that.  And the very next (2) episodes are "Home Again - parts 1 and 2"!

The ones where "Albert" -- the completely MADE-UP, nonexistent adopted brother, added to the series for DRAMA -- joins a gang (DRAMA!) gets addicted to mor-PHINE in the Big Bad City (more DRAMA!) and Charles has to bring him home to Walnut Grove and help him kick it cold-turkey (DRAMA!)  And it becomes the "Little After-School-Very-Special-Just-Say-No-To-Drugs-Episode"!  Cause, DRAMA!

And all this takes place after Nonexistent Albert sneaks a smoke and burns down the Nonexistent Blind School and kills Mary's (Nonexistent!) Baby, peeps at (Nonexistent!) Sylvia, get accused of knocking up Sylvia (ok, falsely accused), etc., etc., etc......

Laura wouldn't make up stories for DRAMA.  Michael Landon, OTOH.....

And to cap it off that episode had none other than ML himself (instead of Melissa Gilbert as Laura) do the Closing Narration celebrating RL Laura for having stuck to her guns and holding out on publishing until her 60's which would result in the book series being a fave in contemporary 1970's libraries [to say nothing of book series having been the inspiration for the warped and distorted TV series]!

• Like 3

saw "The Legacy" the other day

First time I saw it the opening scene had me so confused, then of course we had to sit through a hour of Charles once again being unhappy (oh no not again-Caroline), going to town to make something of himself (I sure hope Chris the Handyman is available-Caroline) Charles gets ruined by corporate greed and Charles realizes he's happier at Walnut Grove..............until 2 months later

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
Spoiler

I just got Dean Butler's new autobio and it was interesting to me how he cited the parallels to his own family history to how RL Almanzo Wilder's family had settled in the US- to say nothing of how he himself had spent many of his formative years without modern conveniences (and this was the 1950's and 60's)! He felt proud to have gotten to have played the role AND that, in some way, he wasn't just suited but destined to have played it!

Spoiler

He had great kudos and sympathy for Miss MacGregor and said that her missing the last movies wasn't due to being exhausted from clashing with ML but due to being upset that of ML and the other PTB refusing to give her better billing or better compensation despite Harriet's contributions and popularity! Alas, it seems that one of the main reasons they kept billed/salaried as a supporting player rather than one of the stars was due to no one wanting to risk Richard Bull's wrath for having her billed as 'also starring Katherine MacGregor as Harriet Oleson' without doing the same for him as Nels. .and they didn't feel justified in billing or compensating him in that way.

Spoiler

He also had great praises particularly for AA (who herself fessed to joining MG in being a 'snotty teen' towards him [and now regretting it] when he first started playing Manley instead of appreciating how perfectly he played the role and his polite & patient personality)!

Spoiler

He acknowledged that his experiences with ML (and each of the other players and performers) wasn't the same as every other person's experiences and he recognized their POVs (and each person's RIGHT each having a different POV) when stating his own. He acknowledged that ML wasn't entirely fair to himself (and many of the others) and also agreed that some of his cruder asides weren't fair to the others. However, he credited ML for helping him expand his own performing horizons and, even all these years after ML's passing (despite now being over a decade older than ML's ultimate age) still considers many of ML's performing techniques  in his career.

IMO, Dean Butler's new autobio isn't the most exciting one ever (nor a potboiling 'tell all') but he DOES show a polite concern for fellow performers [and even the fans] as well as displays a healthy sense of humor about himself and is happy to give credit where its due re others!  FAR better than those books with constant self-overpraises as well as wallowing in bitterness with little if any sense of humor about themselves.  I give it a B +!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, Blergh said:
  Reveal spoiler

I just got Dean Butler's new autobio and it was interesting to me how he cited the parallels to his own family history to how RL Almanzo Wilder's family had settled in the US- to say nothing of how he himself had spent many of his formative years without modern conveniences (and this was the 1950's and 60's)! He felt proud to have gotten to have played the role AND that, in some way, he wasn't just suited but destined to have played it!

Reveal spoiler

He had great kudos and sympathy for Miss MacGregor and said that her missing the last movies wasn't due to being exhausted from clashing with ML but due to being upset that of ML and the other PTB refusing to give her better billing or better compensation despite Harriet's contributions and popularity! Alas, it seems that one of the main reasons they kept billed/salaried as a supporting player rather than one of the stars was due to no one wanting to risk Richard Bull's wrath for having her billed as 'also starring Katherine MacGregor as Harriet Oleson' without doing the same for him as Nels. .and they didn't feel justified in billing or compensating him in that way.

Reveal spoiler

He also had great praises particularly for AA (who herself fessed to joining MG in being a 'snotty teen' towards him [and now regretting it] when he first started playing Manley instead of appreciating how perfectly he played the role and his polite & patient personality)!

Reveal spoiler

He acknowledged that his experiences with ML (and each of the other players and performers) wasn't the same as every other person's experiences and he recognized their POVs (and each person's RIGHT each having a different POV) when stating his own. He acknowledged that ML wasn't entirely fair to himself (and many of the others) and also agreed that some of his cruder asides weren't fair to the others. However, he credited ML for helping him expand his own performing horizons and, even all these years after ML's passing (despite now being over a decade older than ML's ultimate age) still considers many of ML's performing techniques  in his career.

IMO, Dean Butler's new autobio isn't the most exciting one ever (nor a potboiling 'tell all') but he DOES show a polite concern for fellow performers [and even the fans] as well as displays a healthy sense of humor about himself and is happy to give credit where its due re others!  FAR better than those books with constant self-overpraises as well as wallowing in bitterness with little if any sense of humor about themselves.  I give it a B +!

Yes I was underwhelmed not being a huge fan of his or the last years of the show, but admired him and his honestly. One story of Michael and his encounter when he got angry with him had me pause. I was like "never happen now" ; )

He didn't try to demonize anyone like the girls did with MSA for drama. He did touch on the scandal of ML and his girlfriend but being a guy or maybe less attached coming in later, it didn't hit as hard. I thought he would talk more of Victor but did mention him and liking his direction. Maybe didn't interact that much.

He is also honest being grateful for a show that was only 5 years, but makes him an income now. Going to many events and getting paid I'm assuming and extra for autographs etc is tiring but not hard work. He is always pleasant and fans love him and if I make the CT one, I'll take my book for him to sign.

I did feel bad when I read an interview before he died, of "Doc Baker" not getting a raise and it seemed no one did. Karen was lambasted for wanting one when most people complain if they don't get their 3% or more yearly. Richard Bull and Katherine deserved credit. It did sting to hear what he said about her sadness later over it. I would have loved to read her book. Rumor was she started or had notes but lost without family or kids to pass it on too. : (

• Like 3

I have so much respect for Dean Butler and all he has done for Little House and for the real LIW story over the years.  He has done projects that have helped showcase LIW, and has been very active in the real life location events.  He has also put a lot of work into the 50 year LHOTP events…especially at Simi Valley, but attends all of the others as well.  I personally think that is a lot, as it is a lot of traveling, full days with fans, and he appears so sincere and gracious.  I have enjoyed the podcast he has been doing with AA as well.  AA is also wonderful for all of her LHOTP events as well.  I look forward to reading his book…in the middle of another but will start soon.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, alexa said:

I have so much respect for Dean Butler and all he has done for Little House and for the real LIW story over the years.  He has done projects that have helped showcase LIW, and has been very active in the real life location events.  He has also put a lot of work into the 50 year LHOTP events…especially at Simi Valley, but attends all of the others as well.  I personally think that is a lot, as it is a lot of traveling, full days with fans, and he appears so sincere and gracious.  I have enjoyed the podcast he has been doing with AA as well.  AA is also wonderful for all of her LHOTP events as well.  I look forward to reading his book…in the middle of another but will start soon.

You will like it because he devotes time at the end to those projects and work behind them.

• Like 1
(edited)

On a special July 4th episode of LHOP

The night before the July 4th picnic a storm rolls through the Ingalls property as their crop gets destroyed. On the morning of the 4th Charles rides into town telling everyone they can't go to the party. Nels says they might as well cancel the party if Ingalls cant be there, Charles says no please dont. Enjoy your freedom. Some people just aren't allowed to have fun. Edwards encourages Charles to come anyway and Charles snaps back "IT'S EASY TO SAY THAT WHEN YOU GOT A CROP EDWARDS!" Edwards chuckles and says "Well Charles I don't have a crop, all my income is from the mill" Charles does a half turn and says "You sure know how to make a man feel good" then leaves

Charles tells Caroline and he's had it! They are moving. Laura runs away and cries after Charles yells at her after Laura asked if she could be in the egg contest. "YOU THINK WE GOT EGGS TO WASTE HALF PINT!!!" Caroline yells at Charles to calm down and runs off to Chris the Handyman's

Charles packs up and is about to leave when Chris comes running in, telling Charles how selfish he is being

Laura finds a AMERICAN flag and comes back  tells Charles how America fought for their freedom and didn't give up and neither should he

Charles gets emotional as the town comes to Charles house to throw the party and help with crop

Charles grabs the American flag and starts a USA chant

Edited by jason88cubs
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

On a special July 4th episode of LHOP

The night before the July 4th picnic a storm rolls through teh Ingalls property as their crop gets destroyed. On the morning of the 4th Charles rides into town telling everyone they can't go to the party. Nels says they might as well cancel the party if ingalls cant be tehre, Charles says no please dont. Enjoy your freedom

Charles tells Caroline and he's had it! They are moving. Laura runs away and cries

Laura finds a AMERICAN flag and tells Charles how America fought for their freedom and didn't give up

Charles gets emotional as the town comes to Charles houe to throw the party and help with crop

Charles grabs the American flag and starts a USA chant

Not bad, but I'm surprised Charles didn't try to tell Laura that they might have better luck going due north to . ..Manitoba before Caroline slaps his face and got him to remember the Stars and Stripes forever!

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong but could the woman arranged MSA's hair (and herself wearing a pompadour) be Gladys Whitten? She was the LHOTP hairdresser who'd had a long career before that (and,as per AA, had hailed from Dolly Parton's neck of the woods in Eastern Tennessee).

AA adored her due to her massaging her scalp and rubbing SeaBreeze in the scrapes after taking off the Nellie Wig while singing Andrews Sisters songs and telling her interesting stories about her life and career!  I'm not sure she's still in this world but she seemed like quite the character!

(edited)
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but could the woman arranged MSA's hair (and herself wearing a pompadour) be Gladys Whitten? She was the LHOTP hairdresser who'd had a long career before that (and,as per AA, had hailed from Dolly Parton's neck of the woods in Eastern Tennessee).

AA adored her due to her massaging her scalp and rubbing SeaBreeze in the scrapes after taking off the Nellie Wig while singing Andrews Sisters songs and telling her interesting stories about her life and career!  I'm not sure she's still in this world but she seemed like quite the character!

Not sure but I found this pic. They were tortured with those wigs ; ) I felt even low budget they could find better than Nellies, Miss Beadles and Mary's later ( I think that might have been a punishment)

AA does say her name is Gladys.

alison.jpg

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1

I don’t even like wearing hats so I can’t imagine wearing a wig for those long days.

Lucille Ball in her later series used to tape her face back to hide her wrinkles, and then plop a curly wig on top to hide the face tape. Sounds very uncomfortable.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Egg McMuffin said:

I don’t even like wearing hats so I can’t imagine wearing a wig for those long days.

Lucille Ball in her later series used to tape her face back to hide her wrinkles, and then plop a curly wig on top to hide the face tape. Sounds very uncomfortable.

Evidently both Lucy and AA had the kind of wigs which were specially made  (to individual order) to keep from ever being knocked off much less fallen off. IOW, they anchored down via zillions of hairpins, clamps and even with their own scalp hair braided in. Of course, in AA's case, there was no issue of wrinkles just to keep it on while Lucy had her scalp hair braided extra tightly then tape to help smooth out any lines in addition to all the above. AA said she never was unable  feel all the pins,etc. (and it was worst when Nellie would have lie down or rest her head on something) and, minimally, it was like digging one's nails into one's scalp. ..for nine hours straight! And when she and Miss Whitten would have to carefully remove Nellie's Wig, it her scalp would usually be bleeding from the cuts and scrapes that had built up over time and often felt numb until Miss Whitten would massage it with the Sea Breeze to prevent infections.

Not surprisingly, while she and Miss Whitten became pals, she did NOT miss having to deal  with the Nellie Wig when her time as a regular on the show was over.

• Useful 1

Well Charles maybe have gotten 12 weeks of vacation or whatever it was but I'm about to go to 1 week of vacation. whoohoo

Guess I'll round up the family and take to em to a nice place to stay and complain about the noise

• LOL 2
22 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Well Charles maybe have gotten 12 weeks of vacation or whatever it was but I'm about to go to 1 week of vacation. whoohoo

Guess I'll round up the family and take to em to a nice place to stay and complain about the noise

Considering that Charles was by no means shy or soft-spoken, I think he may have been upset at the possibility of the neighboring saloon's noise coming close to approaching  his own decibel  level.

• LOL 1

I'll Ride the Wind episode was on this morning.

Every time I see this one I think how well written the role of Grace was in this episode. She had such excitement for John getting the scholarship. Valued his dream of writing. Listened to his feelings without discounting them or injecting her own feelings. Validated his feelings things would change, while stating things would always change.  Didn't agree with passing on the scholarship, but didn't pressure.

Bonus points for always calling him John and not John Jr.

Ma Sanderson would have been proud to know John had her supporting him.

• Like 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, crazy8s said:

I'll Ride the Wind episode was on this morning.

Every time I see this one I think how well written the role of Grace was in this episode. She had such excitement for John getting the scholarship. Valued his dream of writing. Listened to his feelings without discounting them or injecting her own feelings. Validated his feelings things would change, while stating things would always change.  Didn't agree with passing on the scholarship, but didn't pressure.

Bonus points for always calling him John and not John Jr.

Ma Sanderson would have been proud to know John had her supporting him.

I loved how Grace was with them but I did feel bad they had Mr Edwards so clueless about how different John was than he was. He wasn't educated but he wasn't dumb. That episode with the bear and hunting was painful to watch and I dont like to see it. I also don't think that most of us, no matter how we feel about hunting would watch a family member be mauled and do nothing. I cry at every ASPCA commercial if I watch but a wild dog is attacking my kid, sorry. 

I also loved how they showed not every kid was a farmer although popular, writing seemed odd because it wasn't common but cities had papers and people still wrote books and I wish his character didn't have to die.  From what I read on fan forums (might not be 100% true) Melissa didn't like him (romantic leads didn't do well on this show) and Mike was going to put off her blindness indefinitely which seems odd. That didn't work for Melissa G, not liking Almonzo, but it sounds odd to me because Mike was thinking he would make her blind married with kids? That would have been odd. Radamas did say he was 15 and Mary 13 and she was just very uncomfortable and couldn't warm up to kissing him etc. She faked it well but maybe Michael thought doing this to both girls (although Dean was much older) wasn't a good thing. He said he realized he wouldn't last if they weren't to be married. I am glad they didn't do that plot but I still wish for Mr Edward's sake they saved him from the big city (Charles loved later) for a future episode.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2
(edited)

Since MSA was evidently so discomfited having to do romance scenes with Radames Pera, I wonder why no one considered having John,Jr. turn his attentions to . ..Nellie. Instead of dying, he could have stuck around with Mary having very mixed feelings over her ex courting her sister's nemesis (and, yes, AA has gone on record saying she WAS enthralled with him as a teen).

I'm glad someone else noticed Grace Edwards alone terming her elder adoptive son as 'John' instead of following everyone else's deal of continuing to tag him 'John,Jr' despite having been adopted by the Edwardses and John Sanderson, Sr. having died offstage long before his mortally ill widow Julia made her appeal to keep their children together.  Of course, since he wasn't eager to be a farmer while Carl and Alicia both seemed too young to do more than light chores, one has to wonder how the Sanderson Farm had been run from the time of John, Sr.'s death until Julia's passing. It seemed almost as soon as she breathed her last, their offspring were yanked from the family  home with no adult in Walnut Grove [not even Reverend Alden, Ma, Miss Beadle, Mrs. Whipple or Mrs. Foster] considering to at least tend to them there in the immediate aftermath. Moreover, [correct me if I'm wrong] I'm not even sure the issue of whether the newly orphaned minors gained any monies from the Sanderson Farm's sale was ever addressed -much less who BOUGHT it! Of course, if they HAD gained any monies, that could have explained HOW John,Jr. would have been able to have considered college a viable alternative to farming since I doubt either Isaiah or Grace would have had the funds to have paid for it on their own.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

Since MSA was evidently so discomfited having to do romance scenes with Radames Pera, I wonder why no one considered having John,Jr. turn his attentions to . ..Nellie. Instead of dying, he could have stuck around with Mary having very mixed feelings over her ex courting her sister's nemesis (and, yes, AA has gone on record saying she WAS enthralled with him as a teen).

I'm glad someone else noticed Grace Edwards alone terming her elder adoptive son as 'John' instead of following everyone else's deal of continuing to tag him 'John,Jr' despite having been adopted by the Edwards and John Sanderson, Sr. having died offstage long before his mortally ill widow Julia made her appeal to keep their children together.  Of course, since he wasn't eager to be a farmer while Carl and Alicia both seemed too young to do more than light chores, one has to wonder how the Sanderson Farm had been run from the time of John, Sr.'s death until Julia's passing. It seemed almost as soon as she breathed her last, their offspring were yanked from the family  home with no adult in Walnut Grove [not even Reverend Alden, Ma, Miss Beadle, Mrs. Whipple or Mrs. Foster] considering to at least tend to them there in the immediate aftermath. Moreover, [correct me if I'm wrong] I'm not even sure the issue of whether the newly orphaned minors gained any monies from the Sanderson Farm's sale was ever addressed -much less who BOUGHT it! Of course, if they HAD gained any monies, that could have explained HOW John,Jr. would have been able to have considered college a viable alternative to farming since I doubt either Isaiah or Grace would have had the funds to have paid for it on their own.

Interesting take, I always felt with so many nice neighbors with large homes they could afford doing barely nothing, they could have taken the kids in. For Pete sakes, they should have gotten money from sale of home and even Harriet or Grace could take them. They took church collections for everything else, organs, operations, bells, someone could have donated to help the family at first. I felt this more with James and Cassandra, really tired of the extra kids by then. They always rallied around families in need, helping out with farming, the kid who wanted to be a doctor, a bell, they couldn't help a famly who lost their dad?

Grace seemed very cultured compared to the rest and of course that made her marriage to Mr Edwards more interesting.

Even the guy who accidentally blew himself up, they gave widow their bonus's but how would a woman support herself since jobs weren't that prevalent. Mrs Whipple did, Grace, of course the "dishes" widow was rich, they had some widow's living together like the one who pretended to die, (or maybe they were single( but never said how they kept it together in such nice homes. Charles worked 3 jobs and barely did.

I guess the poetic license of Hollywood. : )

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2

Yes, it seemed needlessly cruel for them to be seen saying their goodbyes to Julia while it rained outside, then immediately were seen at her funeral before being taken away from the former Sanderson home!  I mean, it was tragic enough for them to have lost both their parents in a very short time but then to also lose the family home where they'd all evidently been raised in would have added needless salt  into the wounds.

I still think that they could have kept them as regulars even with Mary and John, Jr. breaking things off.

• Like 1

I know they had their reasons for having had a falling out (and I'm not going to rehash them at this time).

However, I truly hope that Melissa Gilbert and Shannen Doherty were able to make their peace with each other before the end- or at the very least each made their peace with having decided not to reconcile.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Quof said:

I've always been disappointed the show never tried to make Charles look like the real Charles.  Who was not a handsome man. 

https://familypedia.fandom.com/wiki/Charles_Phillip_Ingalls_(1836-1902)

but then we get to miss Michael Landon showing everyone his chest!!

Director: Ok Michael in this scene you are going to walk from the door to the barn

(Michael takes shirt off)

Director: What you doing?

Michael: Eye candy

Director: But we already shot the scenes is the barn and you had your shirt on

Michael: We will reshoot them then! Eye candy = ratings!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
18 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

but then we get to miss Michael Landon showing everyone his chest!!

Director: Ok Michael in this scene you are going to walk from the door to the barn

(Michael takes shirt off)

Director: What you doing?

Michael: Eye candy

Director: But we already shot the scenes is the barn and you had your shirt on

Michael: We will reshoot them then! Eye candy = ratings!

ML: Directors are a dime a dozen in this town, but my chest is irreplaceable. It stays, YOU go!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, debraran said:

Not the best paper, but they talked about Mike's shirtless scenes. I never thought he was that sexy and those scenes left me numb but Chris I liked and even Mr Carter (although never saw him shirtless) : )

https://nypost.com/2021/11/10/little-house-michael-landon-got-sexy-to-outdo-burt-reynolds/

I never really thought one way or the other watching his shirtless scenes as a kid when I watched it originally.  Now that I'm grown up, I don't like them. Sometimes they make me uncomfortable like the scene where he is hugging Laura after Jack died.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I never really thought one way or the other watching his shirtless scenes as a kid when I watched it originally.  Now that I'm grown up, I don't like them. Sometimes they make me uncomfortable like the scene where he is hugging Laura after Jack died.  

What is suppose to be a sobering emotional moment turns into awkwardly staring at his nipple

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Landon never did anything for me either, though I can acknowledge that yes he is a conventionally attractive person, so the shirtless scenes are just unintentionally funny. Even when I was watching Bonanza, the hype around Little Joe was completely wasted on me. Adam was always the gorgeous Cartright brother in my eyes. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Zella said:

Landon never did anything for me either, though I can acknowledge that yes he is a conventionally attractive person, so the shirtless scenes are just unintentionally funny. Even when I was watching Bonanza, the hype around Little Joe was completely wasted on me. Adam was always the gorgeous Cartright brother in my eyes. 

It's been awhile since I seen Bonanza, but I don't ever recall Little Joe with his shirt off. I know Adam did a few times? But I don't recall little Joe

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

It's been awhile since I seen Bonanza, but I don't ever recall Little Joe with his shirt off. I know Adam did a few times? But I don't recall little Joe

I don't remember if he gets his shirt off, but there's a lot of buzz about Little Joe in Bonanza circles. And once he started writing episodes, you see all of his worse LHOTP instincts run amok. Little Joe always is the bestest. LOLOL It is so noticeable that I can tell if Landon wrote the episode even without seeing the credits.

• Like 2

Since tv Charles seemed to be a leader of things in Walnut Grove, I think we should all breathe a huge sigh of relief Charles was the only main character removing his shirt and it did not start a trend in walnut grove.

Edwards, Nels, doc baker, Hansen, Rev Alden, Jonathan etc always kept their shirts on.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, Zella said:

Yes, I and adored Hoss, he was so kind and sweet. The episode Michael stole/rewrote from Bonanza about the horse dealer and the neglected wife, Hoss killed it vs Mike's kind of "I'm wonderful" flirtatious adaption. He had something Michael didn't.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

image.thumb.png.7d7eac7d491795bb0c761071eb56ad6e.png

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, debraran said:

Yes, I and adored Hoss, he was so kind and sweet. The episode Michael stole/rewrote from Bonanza about the horse dealer and the neglected wife, Hoss killed it vs Mike's kind of "I'm wonderful" flirtatious adaption. He had something Michael didn't.

Hoss was a great character! He reminds me one of my late uncles. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Oh gosh the Garvey divorce seen is on right now

Oh the laughing!

Question: is the audience truly expected to believe that Jonathon had a more fun time with Alice than Nels did with Harriet?

• Like 1
On 7/19/2024 at 11:14 PM, Blergh said:

Question: is the audience truly expected to believe that Jonathon had a more fun time with Alice than Nels did with Harriet?

I always got a kick of Nels muttering under his breath lol

• Like 1
On 7/21/2024 at 7:23 PM, jason88cubs said:

I always got a kick of Nels muttering under his breath lol

That's why I thought the 2 of them deserved more money and recognition. They were such a big part of the show, what would it be without the mercantile and Nel's one liners and Harriet's multidimensional character, her anger, stubbornness, big heart and inner softy that showed over the years.  

Caroline was the heart, but didn't change much, without Nels and Harriet it would be boring. : )

Mrs. Oleson: Nels, are you going to miss me?

Nelson "Nels" Oleson: [mutters] Like a crutch.

Mrs. Oleson: What did you say?

Nelson "Nels" Oleson: I said, "very much."

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

In this age of so many conflicts happening, I think our Forum may take heart to hear about a longstanding rift FINALLY coming to an end.

Namely, in the Little House 50 Podcast,they had none other than Melissa Sue Anderson guesting! Yep, Mary Ingalls herself! They ALL gave her a warm welcome with the hostess Pamela Bob saying she'd ALWAYS been on 'Team Mary' and thought she had been an excellent teen performer. MSA and Alison Arngrim confirmed that when they'd gotten together for the fan event in Monte Carlo, they took in the sights like 'two old lady tourists' and had fun- and cleared up 'old misunderstandings'. No, they didn't  go into detail exactly what had been cleared up (and it's probably just as well since even mentioning them could have started needless speculations).  And MSA was very diplomatic relaying what she thought of her fellow LHOTP cast members mostly just saying they were 'interestingly' but surprisingly saying that in her opinion, MG had had the most fun working!

There was one moment when she completely broke up AA, Dean Butler and the hostess Pamela Bob. MSA  said that after Mary had gone blind, she had gotten fan letters from viewers who'd thought that MSA had actually lost her sight AND that the scripts had been specially tailored JUST so MSA could keep working despite that' new challenge'! Yep, not only had they totally missed the memo that Book and RL Mary HAD gone blind but they totally defied logic in actually sending MSA support letters -inasmuch as if they sincerely believed MSA had gone blind, HOW did they expect her to READ the letters? LOL

This was roughly the time when Ellen Corby had returned to The Waltons severely challenged by having had a devastating stroke- and the scripts had had her character of Esther 'Grandma' Walton also having to contend with that. So, perhaps those viewers that had gotten their wires crossed and believed that something similar had happened to MSA.

Anyway, I thought this deserved a good mention in these parts!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

In this age of so many conflicts happening, I think our Forum may take heart to hear about a longstanding rift FINALLY coming to an end.

Namely, in the Little House 50 Podcast,they had none other than Melissa Sue Anderson guesting! Yep, Mary Ingalls herself! They ALL gave her a warm welcome with the hostess Pamela Bob saying she'd ALWAYS been on 'Team Mary' and thought she had been an excellent teen performer. MSA and Alison Arngrim confirmed that when they'd gotten together for the fan event in Monte Carlo, they took in the sights like 'two old lady tourists' and had fun- and cleared up 'old misunderstandings'. No, they didn't  go into detail exactly what had been cleared up (and it's probably just as well since even mentioning them could have started needless speculations).  And MSA was very diplomatic relaying what she thought of her fellow LHOTP cast members mostly just saying they were 'interestingly' but surprisingly saying that in her opinion, MG had had the most fun working!

There was one moment when she completely broke up AA, Dean Butler and the hostess Pamela Bob. MSA  said that after Mary had gone blind, she had gotten fan letters from viewers who'd thought that MSA had actually lost her sight AND that the scripts had been specially tailored JUST so MSA could keep working despite that' new challenge'! Yep, not only had they totally missed the memo that Book and RL Mary HAD gone blind but they totally defied logic in actually sending MSA support letters -inasmuch as if they sincerely believed MSA had gone blind, HOW did they expect her to READ the letters? LOL

This was roughly the time when Ellen Corby had returned to The Waltons severely challenged by having had a devastating stroke- and the scripts had had her character of Esther 'Grandma' Walton also having to contend with that. So, perhaps those viewers that had gotten their wires crossed and believed that something similar had happened to MSA.

Anyway, I thought this deserved a good mention in these parts!

I'm glad, now that she's back in the states and her kids are grown, I was hoping she did a little bit of LHOP stuff. Its hard but MSA was always diplomatic and said little, something we all have a hard time with at times. : )

She had a nice family in Canada and married a write/producer Mike Sloan who did a lot of scripts of favorite shows like Columbo and Quincy. Married 1990 until now says something too. She also made up with Michael earlier than most going to wedding and he to hers. Sometimes you can still feel things but reach across the aisle and make amends.

Thanks for the update!

PS I wish she'd go to CT LHOP reunion,so I'd really want to go. Now that they changed venue to a place I don't like, and I realize Karen isn't going and Melissa G, I'm torn. Todd Bridges is going and I think "Chris" the handyman, but it's a very crowded, large venue and parking is crazy. If I wasn't alone, I'd not think about it.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1

I recently re-watched The Pilot and a few first season episodes. It's funny that Charles needs assistance from Caroline and Mr. Edwards when he's building that tiny log cabin in The Pilot, but by the time the family moves to Plum Creek, Charles has become somewhat of an architectural savant and erects a much larger home with a loft room seemingly all by himself. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
15 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I recently re-watched The Pilot and a few first season episodes. It's funny that Charles needs assistance from Caroline and Mr. Edwards when he's building that tiny log cabin in The Pilot, but by the time the family moves to Plum Creek, Charles has become somewhat of an architectural savant and erects a much larger home with a loft room seemingly all by himself. 

But he is Charles Ingalls......lol   But then he can't make toys for the kids or finish a wall but can do extensive woodworking for a nice widow for dishes they don't use. I wondered once how he did the loft and my husband said "the magic of TV" And glass windows and a door with a key that keep the animals out. 😄

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
22 hours ago, mmecorday said:

and didn't break a rib!

• LOL 4