Type keyword(s) to search

Hoarders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, sainte-chapelle said:

Me too, I was just thinking that an older woman being around all that junk is more prone to serious infections 

Oh, OK, now I get it. That poor woman. My mother is 94 and I can't imagine her living in those conditions.

• Useful 1

I've seen enough episodes of Hoarders where I can say that the ones where it's leathery old guys with tons of junk sitting around outside, these episodes don't end up as giant success stories.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 1

Ugh. My mother gave her house away to a reverse mortgage. She took out $140K on a $300K property 6 months before she died. When she died, the contract said that Wells Fargo owned the house. 

1 minute ago, Eldemarge said:

I've seen enough episodes of Hoarders where I can say that the ones where it's leathery old guys with tons of junk sitting around outside, these episodes don't end up as giant success stories.

leathery old guy....yep. It's almost an archetype. 

• Sad 5
(edited)

Tonight's episode Season 14 Episode 2, "Andy" (my cable guide is calling it Season 13, Episode 9, and Lia's was listed as Season 13, Episode 8, so the cable guide is jacked up again, Yes, it's Spectrum.) Next week is Darlene, and Season 14 Episode 3, 

Tonight's episode Season 14 Episode 2, "Andy", he lives in San Diego, CA.   He says he's a collector, not a hoarder.   I'm predicting a total train wreck.  He's 68, and a collector and entrepreneur, and claims he only started 20 years ago, and I don't believe it.  Andy's brother Mike calls Andy "an extra hoarder", he's right, Andy's property looks like a dump.   Nephew Gabe calls Andy a squatter and a hoarder.   

Andy's mother Louise lives there too, in the hoard, it's actually her home (she's 93 or 94).     Louise has fallen multiple times, she only has part of the living room, kitchen, and bathroom, but can't even get out of the house.  Louise doesn't even go outside any longer.   City of San Dielgo has force him to clean up the outside a couple of times, but Andy thinks it's funny he rehoards the yard. 

When Louise's husband died of cancer in 2001, Andy moved in with Louise, and started hoarding immediately.   There are rats n the hoard.   Family stopped visiting because of the vermin and the hoard, and Andy takes in homeless people to the home too.  

(This home looks as bad as the one Matt Paxton worked on a few seasons ago, where the man's bedridden wife lived in the hoard, and they got rid of an incredible amount of junk inside and outside the home.   They had moved from New England (maybe?), to California, usning multiple semi loads of junk. )

Louise signed a reverse mortgage, and now it's up to $500k according to the reverse mortgage rules.   If the house goes into disrepair, the mortgage is due immediately, and I can't believe the mortgage company won't see this, and foreclose.    Didn't Louise realize that when she dies or goes to assisted living, that the reverse mortgage is immediately due, and you either pay off the reverse mortgage or the mortgage holder gets the house?      And Andy will be out immediately?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Mind Blown 1

Andy needs to find his own house to mess up…I am seriously angry…this isn’t even his home?!?! What does this bum do?!!! 

He looks after his mother. Steep price to pay for a caregiver. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Suzywriter said:

Ugh. My mother gave her house away to a reverse mortgage. She took out $140K on a $300K property 6 months before she died. When she died, the contract said that Wells Fargo owned the house. 

leathery old guy....yep. It's almost an archetype. 

Yes, many people don't realize that taking out a reverse mortgage mean if you rent it out, die, or go to assisted living, or move, the mortgage is immediately due.  I've known too many people who inherited property, and found out about a reverse mortgage was on it.   Not a good surprise.   

Zasio, it's not his home, but his mother's, and now the finance company that holds the reverse mortgage.    This is going to be a bad episode for progress in cleaning, but Z. will keep the filming going.     Andy thinks he's cute, and his 'jokes' about hoarding are funny.    Wait until some rat runs to say hiello to Zasio.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

When Louise's husband died of cancer in 2001, Andy moved in with Louise, and started hoarding immediately.   There are rats n the hoard.   Family stopped visiting because of the vermin and the haord, and Andy takes in homeless people to the home too.  

This episode is tragic.

• Applause 3
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, many people don't realize that taking out a reverse mortgage mean if you rent it out, die, or go to assisted living, or move, the mortgage is immediately due.  I've known too many people who inherited property, and found out about a reverse mortgage was on it.   Not a good surprise.   

This contract wasn't about it being due...we could have sold and paid it. It said the house was theirs upon the decease of the owner. 

He is doing a bang up job of it too.

bang up is a good description.

Who does Dr. Zazio's makeup? A mortuary?

The pool...is it remotely maintained? What must the electric bill be on that place?

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

Good point about Zasio's makeup, it's horrible.  

Oh no! That poor dog living in that hoard.   

If it wasn't for filiming and getting this on the air, this 'clean up' wouldn't even be attempted.    This is doomed from the beginning.      Any guesses on how long before Andy turns nasty?   I'm guessing really soon.  

• Like 3

I have to laugh at the commercials tonight.  Febreeze on a hoarders episode, and a swim school for kids on an episode with a lovely pool house, crammed full of junk so no one can swim.   

We've seen Brandon and Life Cycle Transitions before.  Brandon calls Andy a level 3, I would call Andy a level 5. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

If the reverse mortgage company sees this, they won't even bother with an inspection, just start the paperwork on foreclosure.  30 minutes to clean the driveway is a good start, but Zasio isn't going to be able to keep him happy.   And now Andy turns mean. 

Dorothy's social media says she worked on the "Jim" episode, tentatively airing on June 19.   Jim's hoard looks just as bad as Andy's. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
Just now, CrazyInAlabama said:

If the reverse mortgage company sees this, they won't even bother with an inspection, just start the paperwork on foreclosure.  30 minutes to clean the driveway is a good start, but Zasio isn't going to be able to keep him happy.   And now Andy turns mean. 

It’s so predictable. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Andy was doing well until Random Relative had to weigh in with 'not good enough'.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

The brother is right, but should have known Andy would quit. I figured from the first that Andy would quit on the team, and the clean up.     

I wonder if the crew will even get to clear the carport, or get more than a start on the property?   I can only imagine the neighbors seeing the rats come out of the hoard, looking for a new home.  

I think the relatives don't really help, except they make for good TV.    I hate how the shrinks guilt the relatives into helping with the clean up.     This time is like the other episodes, where there have been multiple clean ups before, and house is hoarded again, as quick as the hoarder can possibly do it.   

3 1/2 truck loads for day one.   

What's Zasio saying?  It is Louise's home, Andy's just squating and hoarding there.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
4 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

So, Brother Mike is a passive aggressive asshole? "I guess I shouldn't give my opinion, then!" followed by pouting.

I thought the same. He also is a covert controller. He had to provoke Andy to exert control over the situation. Andy was doing too well, and Mike had to 'show him up' as the not good brother. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
Just now, Auntie Anxiety said:

Andy’s crap (stuffed soaked in rat urine and moldy) needs to be treated with respect! How dare they!

I hav e watched some collector shows. Some of these people are boardeline hoarders but they don’t get much for their stuff because it is in terrible condition. Serious collectors don’t pile their shit ina garage with rats and exposure to the elements.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I hav e watched some collector shows. Some of these people are boardeline hoarders but they don’t get much for their stuff because it is in terrible condition. Serious collectors don’t pile their shit ina garage with rats and exposure to the elements.

Exactly. He might make a few bucks selling scrap metal, but that's it. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Suzywriter said:

what  do metal places do with the scraps that they buy?

You got me stumped. But they do buy it. My husband has sold some stuff too. But you don't get much.

1 minute ago, Suzywriter said:

re ad for Love In Paradise--I think April and Valentine are another Chantel and Pedro.

April is crazy as a shithouse rat. Chantel is just stupid, shallow and vapid.

• Useful 1