Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

ElectricBoogaloo

S05.E01: The Crowening

Recommended Posts

Quote

While Moira is in Bosnia filming the Crows movie that she hopes will revive her acting career, David attempts to take his relationship with Patrick to new heights.

Promo:

Original Canadian air date: 1/8/19
Original American air date: 1/16/19

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Share this post


Link to post

Although there were some funny moments, overall I thought this was a little bit meh, especially for a season premiere. It wasn't terrible or anything, but I guess I have higher expectations for this show.

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Although there were some funny moments, overall I thought this was a little bit meh, especially for a season premiere. It wasn't terrible or anything, but I guess I have higher expectations for this show.

I agree, I really didn't find this episode up to the usual standards. I noticed that it was written by Daniel Levy. I haven't noticed if he has written other episodes, though I assume that he has. But overall I only laughed a couple of times and actually found myself cringing in a couple of places. Hopefully the rest of the season will live up to the previous ones.

One thing I find interesting in the tendency of many new shows these days to have very short seasons. The first 4 seasons os SC total 52 episodes (13 a season)  which for a sitcom like Big Bang Theory would be just over two seasons long. I think it is also common for CBC shows, as well as some Netflix ones, etc. It may explain why the writing has been so strong, as in reality there really haven't been that many episodes over the previous 4 years. Fingers crossed that it writing improves as it is still a relatively new show. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/9/2019 at 3:08 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

I agree, I really didn't find this episode up to the usual standards. I noticed that it was written by Daniel Levy. I haven't noticed if he has written other episodes, though I assume that he has. But overall I only laughed a couple of times and actually found myself cringing in a couple of places. Hopefully the rest of the season will live up to the previous ones.

Yes, he's the co-creator and showrunner and has written all the season premieres, most of the season finales, and usually 1-2 other episodes per season (in addition to the usual showrunner thing of overseeing all the other scripts he's not credited on).

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm actually looking forward to Moira's movie premiere and seeing how it gets received. Did she really uncover brilliant themes in the subtext, or will it just be pure schlock?

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

I thought this was a great season opener, although I'm not sure why Moira ended up taking the role in "The Crows Have Eyes II" after last season when she found out how awful the accommodations would be (and there's a death waver!). I still remember David feeding her lines during her audition tape and asking if there were two Claras.

I thought David and Patrick were cute too. Are we supposed to gather that David used to date Anderson Cooper? LOL. 

That closing bit with Moira in the nest was hysterical. So, the doctor turned into a crow? OK.

She holds the record for longest demonic possession on daytime TV.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I thought this was a great season opener, although I'm not sure why Moira ended up taking the role in "The Crows Have Eyes II" after last season when she found out how awful the accommodations would be (and there's a death waver!). I still remember David feeding her lines during her audition tape and asking if there were two Claras.

I thought David and Patrick were cute too. Are we supposed to gather that David used to date Anderson Cooper? LOL. 

That closing bit with Moira in the nest was hysterical. So, the doctor turned into a crow? OK.

She holds the record for longest demonic possession on daytime TV.

Oh, but that's the best part. Moira didn't take the role in "The Crows Have Eyes II", she took the role in "The Crows Have Eyes III: The Crowening". Apparently the second movie was popular enough for them to make a third! 

  • Love 5
  • Useful 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought it was a pretty boring episode.  Moira kind of saved it a little at the end, and it's a nice setup for some good laughs down the road when her movie gets released.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/9/2019 at 11:53 PM, cousin oliver said:

Shame on any awards body that isn't nominating Catherine O'Hara for all the awards. Dr Clara [Beatrice] Mandrake was a masterclass in character work.

Agree. I have to confess I've never loved this show after the first few episodes (one reason: Roland Schitt must be the most inconsistent, ill-defined character in television history, and it's not the acting, it's the writing), but I do watch it because Mrs. Stone loves it. One reason I really liked this episode was that it showed me that Moira is more than a narcissistic ditz. Up till now, we've had to take as given that she has some acting craft. In this episode, we discovered that she really does. Her insight into Dr. Mandrake made sense to the director and (presumably) elevated the movie a notch or two above what it would have been.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size