Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I don't think Frasier is quite as moral as he likes to think he is. I also think that is a good thing. The world isn't black and white and moral decisions aren't either. Frasier's loyalty should lie with his brother and yes, Niles was in love with Daphne almost from the start, but he truly did try to make it work with Maris for far longer than he probably should have. Of course I'm biased as I think Niles was deserving of bucket loads of hazard pay for being with Maris as long as he was. 

I think Frasier should have lied too. I'm not a fan of Niles and Daphne but his feelings for her didn't lead to the divorce. Maris was the reason for the divorce  Niles did try many times to make her happy. The show did show us that he really did love Maris. They even had Frasier ask Niles the end of season one if something was wrong with his marriage because of his attraction to Daphne. She was always the one treating him like crap. She was the one who did whatever she wanted with no discard for him. Like taking off on a shopping trip and not telling him. He was worried sick that something happened to her.  Had she been willing to change a little bit he would have gone back to her. Of course she didn't. She had an affair with their therpist.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I know that people really, really love Niles, but he was in love with Daphne from the minute he laid eyes on her.  We only got a very narrow picture (literally and figuratively) of what Maris was actually like as a person.  None of us truly know.  I don't think Niles is this perfectly innocent person.   I don't understand defending characters who stay in these unhappy marriages as if they're forced to.  They're not!  Niles would have been fine on his own.  And if he wouldn't, then he should have appreciated his wife and not been out looking.

Now Mel, Mel I can understand not liking her.  I never did.  Although, Niles did like her, so, I can understand how she was snowed by him.  I just can't warm up to characters who are so obsessed with their image that it led her to act out the way she did and the way she treated Daphne going all the way back to her first interaction with her was just disgusting.

Anyways, I'm rewatching Season 8, and I always crap on it, but it's not so bad - yet.  I'm wondering if Season 9 is the one I hate.......   

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I think Niles and Maris' marriage would've been doomed even if Daphne had never entered the picture, because they just seemed to have so much mess and drama between them in general. You don't storm out and separate that many times or as long as they did without there being serious issues somewhere, issues that were there probably from day one. 

That said, I'll also agree that Niles' feelings for Daphne did not help the situation, no. I can definitely buy that Maris picked up on Niles being in love with someone else, especially once she started hearing all the talk of things like Niles and Daphne's date to the Snow Ball and all that, and I think that's a large part of why she had her own affair. Niles wasn't actually cheating, no, at least not physically - but he was emotionally invested in someone else, so she figured, well, if he's not into this marriage anymore, neither am I. 

So yeah. As is often the case with many divorces, it was not just one big issue, it was a lot of little things that built up over time, on both ends. 

• Like 4
On 12/2/2021 at 3:17 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've always written off Seasons 8-10 before but I'm watching Season 8 now and I'm surprised that I'm kind of enjoying myself.  Maybe it's the desperation of having finished the other seasons.

I knew that there was a possibility I had said this before.  Sigh.  I'm so predictable.

8 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I don't think Frasier is quite as moral as he likes to think he is. I also think that is a good thing. The world isn't black and white and moral decisions aren't either. Frasier's loyalty should lie with his brother and yes, Niles was in love with Daphne almost from the start, but he truly did try to make it work with Maris for far longer than he probably should have.

Totally. Frasier would've figured out how to balance the truth and the greater good, probably with extracts from Shakespeare and the poet Catullus thrown in for good measure.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

We only got a very narrow picture (literally and figuratively) of what Maris was actually like as a person.

I see what you did there lol. And that's true, to the viewers Maris is basically meant to be a joke (sometimes with the punchline being Niles). So Frasier and Martin and Niles all have stories about Maris being terrible stretching from way back in the day. Meanwhile Niles is frequently shown being loving to her, she's usually portrayed as selfish, petty, and demanding.

But I also agree that Niles and Maris's marriage would've failed even if there had never been a Daphne. Maris as far as we know was selfish, petty, and demanding. She struggled with her fidelity sometimes too, like stringing along the fencing instructor. She and Niles were separated by the time of the Snow Ball, and the whole point of that plot was Daphne helping Niles put on a show because Maris was out and about in society with a series of new rich men, so she certainly got her share. I don't think she hopped into bed with Shenkman because she was sad about Niles. The way they wrote Maris she probably never imagined he'd want another woman. She must have had some feeling for Niles, but it wouldn't have kept them together.

• Like 4

I've talked about how "Frasier" nearly did every type of episode twice, and I didn't realize they did the "Sliding Doors" theme in two different episodes.

1) The Good Samaritan, where there's a female neighbour of Frasier's who needs a ride in the rain

and

2)  Sliding Frasiers, where Frasier either goes speed dating, or meets a klutzy blonde.  I never ever watch Sliding Frasiers, probably because I assumed it was The Good Samaritan and skipped it.  I was always a fan of Charlotte Ross too, who is from "Days of our Lives".

I somehow found this show while looking her up, where Harriet Sansom Harris also starred with her.  I think i watched this when it was airing :

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've talked about how "Frasier" nearly did every type of episode twice, and I didn't realize they did the "Sliding Doors" theme in two different episodes.

1) The Good Samaritan, where there's a female neighbour of Frasier's who needs a ride in the rain

and

2)  Sliding Frasiers, where Frasier either goes speed dating, or meets a klutzy blonde.  I never ever watch Sliding Frasiers, probably because I assumed it was The Good Samaritan and skipped it.  I was always a fan of Charlotte Ross too, who is from "Days of our Lives".

I somehow found this show while looking her up, where Harriet Sansom Harris also starred with her.  I think i watched this when it was airing :

I watched it. I liked the sitcom and wished it hadn't been canceled. It was four sisters-in-laws and their mother-in-law who's an overbearing bitch. One of the other sisters was Beth Broderick. Harriet's character Vivian has twin sons who have never been disciplined before so they cause a lot of damage in one episode she's encourage to give them the harshest punishment she can think up. She thinks quickly and tells the boys' they'll be spending the next two weeks at Grandma's.

• Like 2

Another set of two of the same kind of Frasier episode:  Two episodes involving Niles and Basketball.  The Reggie Macklemore episode, "Head Game", and Hooping Cranes where Niles gets the half court shot.

I always wondered whether the rapper Macklemore, who is from Seattle , named himself after Reggie Macklemore.

Watching Frasier and Roz break up with this French guy in "Hooping Cranes" is hysterical!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Watching Frasier and Roz break up with this French guy in "Hooping Cranes" is hysterical!

It was UNBELIEVABLE! 

This show blows me away with the sheer volume of classic, enduring, incredibly hilarious scenes.  Honestly, no other show could touch it.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

The scene is on YouTube!

Here's Niles breaking up with Kit, considering I wrote it out word for word a few pages ago, I should have just looked for it first!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 4

Sorry to keep harping about the "Daphne Fat" storyline but it's still going on where I'm watching (Daphne Returns - Jane Leeves is skinny again, but the fat jokes continue).  Another reason I dislike it is because the show so obviously dumbed itself down to make it work.  All the cracks about Daphne's weight just make the show take a nosedive in intellect.

People also just went way out of character starting around now, like Martin.  He became sort of jerk-ish.  And does anyone believe Frasier in any other season would get the Refrigerator Pig for Daphne?

I can see that Niles was idealizing Daphne, clearly, but...................  it doesn't really seem fair to blame Niles for Daphne's weight gain.  People should be accepted and loved as they are.  If anything, Niles's love for Daphne should have made her feel more confident instead of less.  They're acting like Niles's love for her was emotionally abusive.

I wonder what real psychiatrists think about this storyline.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I saw a promo for Frasier today that showed Eddie staring at Frasier. It occurred to me that, in my mind, Eddie was such an integral part of the ensemble that a revival just won't be the same without him.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

can see that Niles was idealizing Daphne, clearly, but...................  it doesn't really seem fair to blame Niles for Daphne's weight gain.  People should be accepted and loved as they are.  If anything, Niles's love for Daphne should have made her feel more confident instead of less.  They're acting like Niles's love for her was emotionally abusive

I don't think anyone blamed Niles for the weight gain itself. He was deliriously happy to be with her and assumed she felt the same. It was his refusal to see or hear anything about how Daphne's emotional state might have played into the weight gain because it wasn't part of his fantasy. 

I always liked how Frasier was able to get thru to him. He was kind but firm. And we got those great clips as they moved among the memories. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't really find it to be organic storytelling, considering it was borne out of Jane Leeves's weight gain.

I would have liked to see what storyline they would have come up with instead.

Oh, I hate the fat storyline with a passion. 🙂 The resolution is the only saving grace for me. 

• Like 2

I do like the stuff about how Niles finally comes around to actually starting to tell Daphne what he honestly thinks about her cooking and psychic abilities, which then turns into passionate lovemaking, which results in Niles being shellshocked and happy at the cafe.

I just hate Frasier lecturing Niles for loving her too much.  I get that Niles was being a jerk about the therapist, but that's separate to me from simply loving the heck out of her and thinking she's perfect.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Today I watched "A Day in May" which might be the lowest brow Frasier episode I have ever seen.  (Blow job jokes?  Having a couple think that Frasier has a mental disability?)

But then I saw "The Wizard and Roz" and this part is so damn funny:

Tewksbury (in Roz's robe): I'm still the same person.
Frasier: Yes, but, it's Roz's robe.
Tewksbury: And what does Roz's robe signify to you?
Tewksbury begins to pace.

Frasier: Roz!
Tewksbury: Then maybe this isn't about you and me. Maybe this is about your relationship with Roz.

While Tewksbury's back is turned, a student comes in the door.
Tewksbury: Seeing me dressed like this brings up deep feelings. Don't be afraid of those feelings, go with them. [He notices the student.] Ah, Peterson. Here for your make-up test?
Peterson: I was. But I'll just take the D.  (Student leaves.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 5
On 11/7/2022 at 9:51 PM, andromeda331 said:

I love Ham Radio it was so funny. Especially when Niles had enough and starts killing everyone off

“Will the McAllister sisters stand back-to-back, I’m short on bullets”:  possibly my favorite line of the series. I’m always cry-laughing.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

"And one final bullet for myself, so the mystery will die with me..."

*POP*

"...ha!"

I also love Noel ringing the bell for the one character when Niles kills him off, and Niles points at Noel in a gesture of thanks :p. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I also love Noel ringing the bell for the one character when Niles kills him off

I believe that was for the inscrutable Mr Wing, since Bulldog had stage fright and was unable to voice the role.

You guys we should totally rent out a theater and screen “Ham Radio” like it was Rocky Horror Picture Show.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
On 4/7/2023 at 7:11 PM, voiceover said:

I believe that was for the inscrutable Mr Wing, since Bulldog had stage fright and was unable to voice the role.

You guys we should totally rent out a theater and screen “Ham Radio” like it was Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I'll bring the coffee thermos (it keeps my coffee warm!)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1