Type keyword(s) to search

Laurel Lance: Black Canary, Black Siren.

• Start Topic

The whole Sara's death arc was terrible from start to finish. And considering the only reason they did it was to push Laurel on her journey to BC, I'm surprised they did such a shitty job. Not much of anything made sense, from her moving the body to them burying her without Quentin and then using Sara's voice to lie to him. So much wrong.

I mean, I still can't forget the less than subtle way Sara's mask fell at Laurel's feet. Ugh. I find I can't stomach any of it, sadly. Sorry, show.

As far her sitting there without calling anyone, she could've been (and looked like) she was in shock and just couldn't operate properly. Not everyone is in the right state of mind when someone close to them dies.

Shock does many things. Death does many things. Shock is not an excuse for stupidity in this situation. But I think its absolutely ridiculous for us to believe that LL dragged a bleeding corpse through the streets of SC & nobody noticed her. And somehow as intelligent as LL is, she really thought dragging her solo was the best decision? Nevermind the muscle mass required to drag a dead person. I have respectfully moved dead people before in my job & they are not light. I wish they would have had her call OQ, OL or even FS to help it would have made me respect LL more. What she did was just dumb. She's been traumatized enough on this show & has probably seen enough crime scenes as a DA to have the ability to think a little more clearly in the situation. They have to start writing LL making better decisions or I'm just gonna believe that she is irrational & doesn't think through her decisions. S3 was bad for everyone - but it's more of trend with LL.

That would've been a better way to do the scene, but to me Laurel clearly wasn't thinking straight, she just stood there when O/F/R came in. If anything they should've had Oliver walk over to her instead of her to him.

Why would Oliver walk over to her? She is the guest (and not really invited) in his lair just standing there. It was an awkward scene on top of a stupid plot point.

• Love 1

Laurel should've called her friend Oliver when she found Sara. What did she do, drag Sara's dead and bleeding body all over town, then down all those stairs to the lair? How did she do that without anyone seeing her? 

• Love 1

I think a lot of how things played out right after Sara's death was just poorly thought out and poorly written, so I feel bad actually blaming Laurel for it.  Like, I understand that, apparently, that was how the writers wanted that storyline to go and Laurel kind of got stuck holding the bag for a lot of the really poor decisions that needed to be made for that to work (that being said, I would argue that a lot of the characters were in a similar position throughout season 3, which makes Sara maybe the lucky one, since she just got to be dead the whole time).  

At the same time, though, as written, those are still the choices she made and I don't think, as written, there was enough of a case for her being in shock the whole time to really write them off.  I agree that Oliver going to comfort her, both in the lair and later at the "funeral," would have helped sell the idea that she was not completely cognizant of what was going on around her, but, instead, they had her throwing herself at him both times while he looked uncomfortable and like he'd rather be hugging literally anyone else in the world.  To me, it read as almost manipulative, like she was doing it just to keep his focus on her.

• Love 5

I agree that Oliver going to comfort her, both in the lair and later at the "funeral," would have helped sell the idea that she was not completely cognizant of what was going on around her, but, instead, they had her throwing herself at him both times while he looked uncomfortable and like he'd rather be hugging literally anyone else in the world.  To me, it read as almost manipulative, like she was doing it just to keep his focus on her.

It didn't help that in the previous episode Laurel lured Oliver out so he could witness her father ending the vigilante task force but she managed to do it in such a way as to present it as if SHE was the one giving him the gift and did in in such a manner as to exclude the rest of the team which would have been just as interested in the announcement.  Instead of it being Laurel being embraced by the team, it was her pulling Oliver to the side away from the team.  

So then when Laurel ran to Oliver for comfort both times, yeah, I was getting some vibes from her that had nothing to do with grief.

Thankfully context of the season has dispelled the thought, but during the first couple episodes of season 3, I half though that Laurel was going to make another play at Oliver.  She seemed to be setting the stage in 3.1 and 3.2.  I now think those were just poorly thought out scenes but even knowing nothing comes of it now, it still plays out that way for me when I see those episodes.

• Love 6

Sara really did fare the best in S3. 

Yep, she died before the great Stupidity Disease took over Starling City.  

I think the issue was at that time KC was still playing Laurel like she was going to get Oliver back. Hopefully this season now that she knows that's not in the cards anymore she'll have better interactions with him. 

• Love 3

I think the issue was at that time KC was still playing Laurel like she was going to get Oliver back. Hopefully this season now that she knows that's not in the cards anymore she'll have better interactions with him.

I think this is accurate. That interview with KC from the beginning of last season that someone posted in the Spoilers Thread (I think it got deleted)....reading that I got a very strong impression that KC believed that Laurel and Oliver were going to end up getting back together, with all her talk about soulmates. And the way Laurel was looking at Oliver at that press conference - KC played that with a very adoring gaze. So yeah. But I think, from recent stuff that she's said, that she's finally gotten the message.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 5

So because she was a guest in his lair, he shouldn't go over to his friend and comfort her? She has to call him up now? She was in on his secret and they were working together so i doubt she needed an invite to hang out with the cool kids.

Well a phone call you have been nice... waiting for an invitation instead of always barging in or just being there... but that's besides the point. He just simply doesn't have to go running up to hug her just because she is in his lair & she is upset. It has nothing to do with the cool kids. If I saw my friend & colleague (nevermind a recent former lover) on the medical table, my first response would be are they still able to be helped... my second thought would be how did this happen... My third thought is the threat still out there & imminent in this moment, that I need to increase protection. If I was OQ, my fourth thought would be this is all of my fault. My fifth thought would be sadness & grief. My sixth thought would be what are we gonna do now?

Perhaps after the few minutes it takes me to process all of that, I might then decide to seek/give comfort. And if I was in a selfish mood, my first thought would be I really need a hug right now. And if that was the case I would hug family first & then friends. So if I was OQ, that order would have been FS then Dig before I would consider Roy or LL. But immediately running to an ex-lover whom I have a very complicated & chilly at times relationship with to hug them, while my former lover/colleague lies there dead on the table would not be first thought or action. I would be more focused on how this happened to SL & are my other loved ones at risk. And if I'm being honest, I probably would have hugged SL before LL if the arrows were not in the way. Both of the hugs between OQ & LL that episode seemed very stilted & awkward, bordering on uncomfortable when you looked at OQ's reaction.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3

This was more prevalent & deadly than the Alpha/Omega virus... perhaps they should have brought in those nanobots sooner to inoculate everyone. Hopefully s4 has maintained immunity from this pervasive disease.

I would've liked it if they had all of TA at the debating of the task force but Laurel didn't really know them at the time so it isn't a surprise that she contacted Oliver. She spent the past two years interacting with only him.

She knows them well enough to know they are Oliver's partners and to reach out to them when she had information about Blood. Plus their importance to Oliver was emphasized when she wanted to tag along with them when they were about to go after the Mirakuru-ed minions and he told her "This started with the three of us; it's time we got back to that."

This is just another example of how the writers have botched Laurel's introduction to Team Arrow. They'd already made missteps when they had her essentially dismiss Felicity and Diggle to speak to Oliver in the lair in the second season. Her including the whole team here could have been a great way of easing her into the TA dynamic and operations.

• Love 6

They basically had to kill off Sara.  She's too smart and pragmatic...she would have bitch-slapped everyone as needed, and none of the stupidity of the season would have happened. 

• Love 7

Perhaps after the few minutes it takes me to process all of that, I might then decide to seek/give comfort. And if I was in a selfish mood, my first thought would be I really need a hug right now. And if that was the case I would hug family first & then friends. So if I was OQ, that order would have been FS then Dig before I would consider Roy or LL. But immediately running to an ex-lover whom I have a very complicated & chilly at times relationship with to hug them, while my former lover/colleague lies there dead on the table would not be first thought or action. I would be more focused on how this happened to SL & are my other loved ones at risk. And if I'm being honest, I probably would have hugged SL before LL if the arrows were not in the way. Both of the hugs between OQ & LL that episode seemed very stilted & awkward, bordering on uncomfortable when you looked at OQ's reaction.

I agree with your first paragraph but disagree w/ this one. OQ isn't the type of person to really think of himself or feel sorry for himself to find comfort first. He'd sooner try to comfort other people who were affected by it most (LL) before he comforts himself by hugging the people he finds comfort in (FS, JD, even RH in that scene)...

But then again, I don't think OQ is the type of person who would hug someone after a massive loss like that. If LL didn't launch herself at OQ I don't think that he would've done anything. So yeah... 

I think if you were OQ and saw SL die for the 4th time your first thought would be "No...Not again". 

See, I was thinking more along the lines of "I'm not falling for this one a fourth time, she'll be back sooner or later," but that's just me.

• Love 5

See, I was thinking more along the lines of "I'm not falling for this one a fourth time, she'll be back sooner or later," but that's just me.

And you'd be right. Lol

Maybe it should be. "No...not again...I guess I'll wait a year or so and she'll be back"

• Love 4

Well a phone call you have been nice... waiting for an invitation instead of always barging in or just being there... but that's besides the point. He just simply doesn't have to go running up to hug her just because she is in his lair & she is upset. It has nothing to do with the cool kids. If I saw my friend & colleague (nevermind a recent former lover) on the medical table, my first response would be are they still able to be helped... my second thought would be how did this happen... My third thought is the threat still out there & imminent in this moment, that I need to increase protection. If I was OQ, my fourth thought would be this is all of my fault. My fifth thought would be sadness & grief. My sixth thought would be what are we gonna do now?

No one said he had to run to her, it doesn't matter where it took place. He could easily see Sara is lying there dead and walking over to Laurel and asking her what happened would be perfectly normal and then see her breaking down, embracing her to help calm her down also would be normal. Oliver has appeared in her apartment as The Hood/Arrow to say whatever and ask for help but Laurel better not show up in his hideout twice as if she is inconveniencing him.

I agree with your first paragraph but disagree w/ this one. OQ isn't the type of person to really think of himself or feel sorry for himself to find comfort first. He'd sooner try to comfort other people who were affected by it most (LL) before he comforts himself by hugging the people he finds comfort in (FS, JD, even RH in that scene)...

But then again, I don't think OQ is the type of person who would hug someone after a massive loss like that. If LL didn't launch herself at OQ I don't think that he would've done anything. So yeah... 

I see your point. That's why in the second paragraph, I was talking about what I would do & specifically stated "if I was in a selfish mood". I made that caveat on purpose. I am not a selfish person, nor is OQ. So we would likely not be seeking out hugs/comfort, we would be giving them. Well more likely, we would be giving some type of comfort. I am not really a hugger. I also think that as touchy-feely OQ can be, he also does not seem like a hugger. There are many other ways to show & give comfort. In a crisis or tragic situation, I tend to think of others before myself. That's how I was taught. That's how I was raised. That is what my personal & professional life demands of me. However that burden then tends to ruminate later which is why I understand OQ's broodiness & free floating (perhaps unwarranted at times) guilt. If only or What if are two word phrases that can haunt a person.

So that is why LL's reaction to her sister's death annoyed me. Because it was all about her & her response to it. It wasn't about losing Sara. This self-absorption fits with LL's character, so I was not surprised. I guess I just hoped that the writers would use the opportunity to make LL have some growth & for once not make it all about her and what she needed in the moment. Dragging her to the lair was not about keeping SL safe or saving her life. A phone call to TA would have achieved that. It wasn't even about finding justice, she destroyed the crime scene. It was all about protecting LL. LL hugging OQ had nothing to do with either SL or OQ. It was all about her grief & shock. She completely blocked out that others were grieving as well. Nevermind, what she did to QL - but we have already discussed that ad nausem. They had to kill SL to make her the BC, but I was disappointed about how the writers really went out of their way to make it all about Laurel again.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3

But guys, Oliver initiates the hug in the Arrow cave. Laurel really doesn't throw herself at him. She walks closer. Oliver goes from closing Sara's eyes to reaching out for Laurel. I just rewatched for science.

Lol and there you go :p IMO I think LL deserved that hug considering she just lost her sister. I wasn't annoyed by that moment tbh. I was more annoyed at her in episode 1 when she didn't really invite TA to the thing with QL. 

I wasn't a fan of her acting in that episode though. I think her best moment was with the toy shark.

So because she was a guest in his lair, he shouldn't go over to his friend and comfort her? She has to call him up now? She was in on his secret and they were working together so i doubt she needed an invite to hang out with the cool kids.

Well, yes. And it's not about the "cool kids". Laurel was never a part of team arrow for good reason. She was not reliable and IMO her decision making here proves she's not thinking clearly. 

Oliver himself was probably in some shock when he's standing there looking at his ex-girlfriend's body riddled with arrows and then probably thinking why the fuck didn't you call us first? And then wondering why the hell would you carry this around the city and not call us for help? 

• Love 2

Whenever you guys start talking about who hugged who first ~and what does it mean~ I'm reminded of my extreme foreigness, and that I live in a city where you greet strangers for the first time by kissing both their cheeks, and that at the end of the meeting, a one-armed hug is not out of the ordinary.

• Love 4

But guys, Oliver initiates the hug in the Arrow cave. Laurel really doesn't throw herself at him. She walks closer. Oliver goes from closing Sara's eyes to reaching out for Laurel. I just rewatched for science.

Thanks for looking. The whole entire conversation started a few posts ago with who should have approached who when the big SL dead in the lair scene was revealed. I honestly don't even know how it got to be about the hug. I couldn't even remember who really initiated the hugs. I just remember them being awkward & stilted, IMO. But most of post-SL death was awkward and stilted because her death was not about her, which was a big mistake. It was a plot point to bring about certain other plots in motion. The writers/directors/actors really dropped the ball on what could have been emotionally poignant scenes & episodes, especially for LL by removing SL from her own death arc.

• Love 1

She knows them well enough to know they are Oliver's partners and to reach out to them when she had information about Blood. Plus their importance to Oliver was emphasized when she wanted to tag along with them when they were about to go after the Mirakuru-ed minions and he told her "This started with the three of us; it's time we got back to that."

This is just another example of how the writers have botched Laurel's introduction to Team Arrow. They'd already made missteps when they had her essentially dismiss Felicity and Diggle to speak to Oliver in the lair in the second season. Her including the whole team here could have been a great way of easing her into the TA dynamic and operations.

It would've been a nice gesture but she didn't have to reach out to them, she spent most of her time dealing with Oliver and this was more about him then the team overall.

Well, yes. And it's not about the "cool kids". Laurel was never a part of team arrow for good reason. She was not reliable and IMO her decision making here proves she's not thinking clearly.

Oliver himself was probably in some shock when he's standing there looking at his ex-girlfriend's body riddled with arrows and then probably thinking why the fuck didn't you call us first? And then wondering why the hell would you carry this around the city and not call us for help?

They said Laurel and Oliver were working together at thr beginning of s3. He catches em, she puts em away. That gives her a little leeway of showing up there and knowing what's going on as it seemed like she did.

It would've been a nice gesture but she didn't have to reach out to them, she spent most of her time dealing with Oliver and this was more about him then the team overall.

And this is why people think that LL wasn't properly integrated into the team. If she didn't deal with them, if she didn't even bother to extend niceties to them.. Who is she to call Felicity up and make her find information for her in episode 3? Who is she to make demands and tell Diggle how to do things?

Her integration into the team wasn't integration but more of the writers forcing herself into a spot she didn't earn to be in, IMO. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 8

They said Laurel and Oliver were working together at thr beginning of s3. He catches em, she puts em away. That gives her a little leeway of showing up there and knowing what's going on as it seemed like she did.

That's a very different thing than being an active part of Team Arrow. She was working for the DA and prosecuting. Not hanging out in the lair, playing with Felicity's computers, going on missions or training on the Salmon Ladder. 

Your comment kind of supports my case. Being that she was more involved with them externally as a prosecutor, then she had even MORE reason to call and say, "Oh gods. She's dead. Please come NOW."  Sorry, but for me, there is NO explanation that justifies Laurel doing this other than she dun lost her mind.

• Love 1

And this is why people think that LL wasn't properly integrated into the team. Who is she to give call Felicity up and make her find information in episode 3? If she didn't deal with them, if she didn't even bother to extend niceties to them...Who is she to make demands and tell Diggle how to do things?

Her integration into the team wasn't integration but more of the writers forcing herself into a spot she didn't earn to be in, IMO.

She didn't make Felicity look for anything. She called and asked for a favor, Felicity didn't have to oblige just as Laurel didn't demand Digg to do anything, she just said she was going regardless.

That's a very different thing than being an active part of Team Arrow. She was working for the DA and prosecuting. Not hanging out in the lair, playing with Felicity's computers, going on missions or training on the Salmon Ladder.

Your comment kind of supports my case. Being that she was more involved with them externally as a prosecutor, then she had even MORE reason to call and say, "Oh gods. She's dead. Please come NOW." Sorry, but for me, there is NO explanation that justifies Laurel doing this other than she dun lost her mind.

She's still working with them so her showing up every now and then isn't a problem.

And i agree that she lost her mind. I never saw her as being in her right of mind when dragging Saras body.

She didn't make Felicity look for anything. She called and asked for a favor, Felicity didn't have to oblige just as Laurel didn't demand Digg to do anything, she just said she was going regardless.

She didn't call Felicity to ask for a favor. She called Felicity and demanded to look into someone and didn't even bother to say please or thank you. If I'm mistaken please correct me. Felicity got enough heat for wondering if they were 'favor friends', I can't imagine what vitriol there would've been if she flat out refused. Good thing that Felicity was nice enough to help LL even though she didn't have to and even though LL could've asked more nicely. 

And I may be mistaken because I want to block the 3 episodes of hell out of my memory, but didn't Laurel essentially tell Diggle to stay in the Arrow cave because SHE wanted to go out even though she had less experience than him? 

And didn't Laurel insinuate to Oliver that she believed Diggle/Felicity were Oliver's subordinates and not equals when she was hashing it out with him when Oliver refused to train her? 

Reasons why I think they failed to integrate her. Would love to see the opposing view on this though. 

• Love 3

To be fair, Laurel never asked Felicity for a favor. She told her she needed one, and then proceeded to tell her what it was. No asking.

• Love 4

I honestly don't even know how it got to be about the hug. I couldn't even remember who really initiated the hugs.

I think that was my fault. I was the one who said she jumped up and threw herself into Oliver's arms. While it was a bit of a dramatic exaggeration on my part, I did think she stood up and walked over to Oliver and initiated the hug. So my bad for not checking my facts.

I stand by my point however that she in no way acted as if she was in enough shock that it would not have occurred to her for hours to CALL SOMEONE.

• Love 3

And didn't Laurel insinuate to Oliver that she believed Diggle/Felicity were Oliver's subordinates and not equals when she was hashing it out with him when Oliver refused to train her?

I don't really recall this but I too might be blocking something.  Could you expand on what you remember? 

She didn't call Felicity to ask for a favor. She called Felicity and demanded to look into someone and didn't even bother to say please or thank you. If I'm mistaken please correct me. Felicity got enough heat for wondering if they were 'favor friends', I can't imagine what vitriol there would've been if she flat out refused. Good thing that Felicity was nice enough to help LL even though she didn't have to and even though LL could've asked more nicely.

And I may be mistaken because I want to block the 3 episodes of hell out of my memory, but didn't Laurel essentially tell Diggle to stay in the Arrow cave because SHE wanted to go out even though she had less experience than him?

Reasons why I think they failed to integrate her. Would love to see the opposing view on this though.

"Felicity i need a favor" followed by what favor she needed. Then Felicity told her she would call her back so we never saw the complete convo. There is a difference between explaining what favor you are asking for and saying "Felicity look up this guy and tell me what i want to know"

And not as if Laurel gets hate for every single thing she does? I was fine with Felicity's comment though.

And Digg told her to stay behind and said "this is not how it's going to work" she was going regardless.

Don't know about the last one, but ill trt to refresh my memory on it.

Edited by Primal Slayer

Did Laurel put special emphasis on SHE didn't work for him?  Otherwise I'm inclined to choose not to read anything into it. 

TBH I just remember being offended by that comment for Diggle and Felicity :p Otherwise I just would've let it go tbh. Maybe it's the way it was said? I mean Laurel's right, she didn't work for him. But that insinuated that Diggle and Felicity did and that they just mindlessly follow him. I thought that was wrong. LL wanted the full perks of being a part of the team without ever really being a part of it. 

"Felicity i need a favor" followed by what favor she needed. Then Felicity told her she would call her back so we never saw the complete convo. There is a difference between explaining what favor you are asking for and saying "Felicity look up this guy and tell me what i want to know"

And not as if Laurel gets hate for every single thing she does? I was fine with Felicity's comment though.

And Digg told her to stay behind and said "this is not how it's going to work" she was going regardless.

Don't know about the last one, but ill trt to refresh my memory on it.

Thanks for the clarification. But IMO that's not ASKING for a favor. She told Felicity she needed a favor and proceeded to tell her what it was. Felicity can you do me a favor? That's asking. 

Diggle told her to stay behind for good reason. "she was going regardless" -- that's exactly why I don't think she knows how to be a part of the team. She does what she wants. That's not what being a part of a team is about. 

I think in the scene Oliver was annoyed with Laurel and Ollie was being grump Ollie and she was basically like, "I'm not on your team. I don't work for you." I don't think it was a jab at felicity or dig.

Incidentally Oliver was such a bag of hypocrisy in that episode.

• Love 3

TBH I just remember being offended by that comment for Diggle and Felicity :p Otherwise I just would've let it go tbh. Maybe it's the way it was said? I mean Laurel's right, she didn't work for him. But that insinuated that Diggle and Felicity did and that they just mindlessly follow him. I thought that was wrong. LL wanted the full perks of being a part of the team without ever really being a part of it.

Do you remember which episode it was?  I think I do care enough to go and see for myself.  ;)

Do you remember which episode it was?  I think I do care enough to go and see for myself.  ;)

Here's the quote:

Oliver: You cannot be serious.

Laurel: I am not on your team. I don't work for you.

Oliver: Exactly. You're untrained.

Laurel: Oh. And whose fault is that?

It was in 3x06.

ETA: Whoops, Delphi beat me to it. :)

Edited by apinknightmare