Type keyword(s) to search

Chambers - General Discussion

Lady Calypso
  • Start Topic

“A young heart attack survivor becomes consumed by the mystery surrounding the heart that saved her life. However, the closer she gets to uncovering the truth about her donor’s sudden death, the more she starts taking on the characteristics of the deceased — some of which are troublingly sinister."

This is a ten episode series set to air on Netflix in 2019, starring Uma Thurman and Sivan Alyra Rose. 

Netflix Releases First Look at New Horror Series "Chambers" Launching on Netflix April 26

Series creator Leah Rachel spoke about the show saying: "Taking place in a mystic, New Age pocket of Arizona, Chambers is a psychological horror story that explores the different ways we metabolize trauma. But what starts out as a grounded human story eventually pivots into something far more strange and fucked up than you were expecting."

Just discovered this show. I don't usually handle horror very well, but I saw Uma's name so I'm giving it a try. I'm only 2 eps in, but I'm enjoying the lead actress alot. The mood is definitely creepy but nothing terribly scary (I'm a wimp). We'll see how this goes...

This is so boring, I’ve been watching and waiting for answers and wow the writers have longed this out. I’m on episode 8 and feel like they should have got this far by episode 2 already, maybe 3 at the latest. I only continued watching because each episode I thought, something HAS to happen or be answered in the next one. Waste of time and life. Disappointed to say the least. Uma Thurman is the only decent thing about this. 

• Applause 1

Are we supposed to have a "get out" vibe from this? Like the daughter is inhabiting her body? I've just watched episode two, and the stones seemed to form a type of voodoo doll. If the girl was supposed to be electrocuted, did it happen at the same time as her heart attack? Did it cause it? And why would they target her?

This show is so slow, and yet I found it great to have on while I was busy doing other things, so that I could tune back in when something awesome happened.

It starts off like it’s going to be ‘Return To Me’ and then goes full Omen/Exorcist by episode 10. 

Actually, for me this had a huge Lois Duncan vibe, for those who remember her classic YA novels - this really brought back memories of ‘Stranger With My Face’. I haven’t thought about that book for years. But with the Colorado/New Mexico setting and the deep existential horror of the idea of someone else stealing your life and walking about as you... 

Having watched the whole thing, I would definitely watch any season 2 as well. I really enjoyed it and the actors did a good job.

• Love 1
(edited)

Though this is a very slow series, the actors are good enough and the story intriguing enough to keep me continuing on even when I want to give up due to nothing happening. 

That said, I'm on episode 6. I was so excited to see Sasha finally make it to the reservation and meet her grandfather, whose been sending her uncle cedar chips to burn to cleanse her soul because he sensed she was in danger. But then I was completely frustrated by NOTHING happening from this visit except for another hallucination. All the grandfather did was tell her what she was fighting was inside her. Well no sh*t. She and we (the audience) knows this, now tell us something we don't know. I cannot believe the writers missed this opportunity to move the story along. 

The only reason I can come up with for them completely ignoring it is to stall the story out, which is just bad writing, but I'll keep watching to see how this all comes together. I only have 4 episodes left. No point in stopping now.

Btw, I thought Sasha's reaction to the truth about her mom and her birth was a bit extreme. I understand being upset that Frank didn't tell her the truth, but to go so far as to move out. RME. Drama for dramas sake IMO. 

Edited by Enero

Finally finished watching this series. The ending, ugh. I feel let down. I hate when they end a story without letting you know what you watched. The whole Annex cult or whoever they were, how the hell did Frank and Sasha not hear the old crone living in their attic, the meaning of the wolf, ravens, I could go on and on.

Good acting but if there is a season two I won’t be watching. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/30/2019 at 7:50 PM, Khaleesi said:

I’ve been watching and waiting for answers and wow the writers have longed this out. I’m on episode 8 and feel like they should have got this far by episode 2 already, maybe 3 at the latest. 

Agreed. This series didn't start to move things along until episode 8. It really shouldn't have taken that long for them to start fleshing out the story. They wasted so many episodes doing nothing. IMO, they could've wrapped this season up in 6 or 8 episodes.

Also, ironically enough the show went sideways when it started to pick up. Sasha's family and friends nearly disappeared from the story, so that we could see the craziness with the Annex and their evil rituals.

Things that didn't make sense: Frank leaving Sasha at the LeFebvre's. She was a minor. So he had a right to get the authorities involved and make her come home. Sasha not telling her boyfriend whom she claimed to love more than anything about the strange things happening in her life. He didn't find out what was going on until the end of the season. Sasha and Frank having no idea that the old woman was living in their attic and didn't smell the army of dead bleeding rats until the attic door was opened. 😕 The writers really missed the boat when they failed to incorporate the Native Americans and their mythology into the story. There is so much rich story potential there and they completely ignored it, even at points when the opportunity to capitalize on it practically fell in their laps. 

I did think it was interesting how and why Becky really died. And though this series had an interesting premise, they lost me by the end. There were just too many plot holes and missed opportunities. Thus, I would not watch a second season of this. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Enero said:

Agreed. This series didn't start to move things along until episode 8. It really shouldn't have taken that long for them to start fleshing out the story. They wasted so many episodes doing nothing. IMO, they could've wrapped this season up in 6 or 8 episodes.

Also, ironically enough the show went sideways when it started to pick up. Sasha's family and friends nearly disappeared from the story, so that we could see the craziness with the Annex and their evil rituals.

Things that didn't make sense: Frank leaving Sasha at the LeFebvre's. She was a minor. So he had a right to get the authorities involved and make her come home. Sasha not telling her boyfriend whom she claimed to love more than anything about the strange things happening in her life. He didn't find out what was going on until the end of the season. Sasha and Frank having no idea that the old woman was living in their attic and didn't smell the army of dead bleeding rats until the attic door was opened. 😕 The writers really missed the boat when they failed to incorporate the Native Americans and their mythology into the story. There is so much rich story potential there and they completely ignored it, even at points when the opportunity to capitalize on it practically fell in their laps. 

I did think it was interesting how and why Becky really died. And though this series had an interesting premise, they lost me by the end. There were just too many plot holes and missed opportunities. Thus, I would not watch a second season of this. 

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I’ve finished it too and I agree with your points whole heartedly. It had potential but just poor writting. It’s a shame. 5E26.gif

I actually didn't mind this show, it has some good talent and the story is sort of interesting if you just buy into it. The Sasha actress is not the greatest, but visually she's very watchable, which I guess works for this part.

I liked the twist at the end.

I'll watch a 2nd season.

Huh. Well that was a weird ending. I actually came to really like the boyfriend, best friend, Elliot and Frank by the end of it. I think Frank is tugging at some of my Jason Momoa/Aquaman love with his build and his tough guy with a heart of gold and his threatening people who threaten his fish. There's just a completely different vibe from the first few eps to the last and I'm not sure what to think of it. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Well that could have been done in far fewer episodes. There were way too many subplots that were just silly or boring. In the last few episodes, I started fast forwarding through most of the scenes once I got the gist of it, and I don’t feel I missed anything. 

That being said, I liked the ending, but I wouldn’t have gone back for another season. 

On 5/2/2019 at 11:42 AM, Enero said:

Btw, I thought Sasha's reaction to the truth about her mom and her birth was a bit extreme. I understand being upset that Frank didn't tell her the truth, but to go so far as to move out. RME. Drama for dramas sake IMO. 

Sasha really became unlikable, and this was the start of it.

I get that she was angry, but blaming Frank for her mom’s death? He saved Sasha’s life that night. Then not answering his phone call.

The other thing that annoyed me was her treatment of Becky in the end. That was just harsh. I get that Becky stressed her out, but Becky was trying to stop Sasha from hurting others. When all the men passed out (died?) in the end, I thought we would see Sasha’s grandfather had fallen too.

Edited by Meushell