Type keyword(s) to search

Baskets - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Finally, an episode that didn't make me want to die from cringing. No Dale and Chip may actually have had an epiphany! Cautiously optimistic? He could easily revert to a*hole status next week.

I can't imagine Christine burning a pot. Tip to Martha: cover burned part with baking soda. Add hot water and let soak. 

I was checking for the finale date (August 22) and found this huge spoiler in the episode description:

Spoiler

Martha removes her cast.

Wow!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I'm not clicking on that spoiler and you can't make me! 

I really liked this ep. First of all, lots of Martha. I cracked up when Chip hugged her and she said, "Owww, my cast." It STILL hurts? After all these years?

I see by the credits that the actor who played Martha's dad mom really did die. Although that's sad, of course, I'm glad the show incorporated his death into the plot.

Chip: You've got to stop cock-blocking your mom. She's grieving.

Martha's mom is a riot. Trying to sneak out and fix the antenna. But maybe it was all a ruse to get Martha to take her to Costco.

I never suspected that one of the kids was the hospital scout. 

Edited by peeayebee
corrected mom to dad
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Martha is really irritable this season. She's earned it, but Chip is actually getting a little LESS obnoxious, and it's kind of funny that NOW is when she's losing patience.

I love how Christine is starting to cut the apron strings a little bit.

I loooove this show.

I really didn't miss Dale.

• Love 6

It's been announced that this season will be the final season for the show.

I think that's fitting, as the characters do seem to be evolving (especially Chip, who's the main character really), and this season would seem like a natural ending point.

3 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

I think that's fitting, as the characters do seem to be evolving (especially Chip, who's the main character really), and this season would seem like a natural ending point.

That's a shame, really, since I love Christine and Ken, but I have a feeling they'll be just fine together. I hope they don't mess this one up. Chip has evolved to a degree, hopefully they'll keep him that way given it's the end. Dale I have no hope for. Martha deserves some happiness, I hope they give it to her.

Edited by Ms Lark
spelling.
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Oh my. My eyes are leaking.

That was lovely. I'm so glad Ken showed up. Better late than never.

The sing-along to The Mamas and the Papas was great. Then using the song over the scene as they got married was perfect.

The first time I teared up was when Christine told him on the phone that she would turn the wedding into a house-warming party. She's so sweet.

Man, it would really piss me off to have everybody basically tell me that I should be distraught.

The twins saying things at the same time is amusing.

I got a chuckle out of Costco having an in-house life coach. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 7
39 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I got a chuckle out of Costco having an in-house life coach. 

Me too.  And of course Martha would use it. 

Is it weird that Ken and Christine's relationship is the most honest one on my TV screen right now?  They are so believable. 

The singing was fun  -- those are my peeps, and that's my song.

• Love 7

I loved that Christine was totally fine with turning the wedding into a housewarming. It’s too bad everyone else acted like Ken had run off to Aruba with a 19 year old girl. I really love how honest and loving and supportive Ken and Christine are with each other. It’s so nice to see a relationship that isn’t filled with drama, jealousy, and pettiness.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
Typo
  • Love 11

I'm so glad they were able to get married after all. Such a wonderful couple. Loved Christine's white wedding Crocs! Louie really inhabits Christine, I never think of him when I'm watching her. Truly his greatest role of a lifetime (to date). 

Now, if Chip would just show Martha some consideration, it will come to a good ending. 

• Love 9

I think he was kind of being nice to Martha before she slept with Dale (ugh). The only woman he's been consistently kind and considerate to was his shitty "wife." But, yes, his rudeness to poor Martha is awful.

I love Chip but I have a hard time getting his character. He got all excited to be a CEO and tried to play the part—the suit, the name plate, the condo. Then, he decides yet again, he'd rather spend his time clooning—a job for which he seems to have zero talent and waning interest.  I guess he's merely interested in having a title than doing the actual work, I don't know.

I really do hope, given the sudden cancellation news, that they all had an idea that this would be the last season and give us a satisfying conclusion to the series. But, given the history of series cancelled mid-season, it's unlikely. The best I can hope for is that the show doesn't end with a cliffhanger—or that Christine and Martha get their own spin off. 

It's funny that some of you mentioned what a jerk he is to Martha and his mom. I was going to comment that maybe he's evolving (growing up?) when he was a little nicer at the death of Martha's dad. Also to Christine by running the rodeo and taking the paying hospital job. I hope he's becoming more empathetic and responsible,but it's hard to guess if he has other motives.                                                                                                                                                            With only a couple of episodes left, I'm not sure how I'd like it to end. Time seems a little short to wrap everything up. At least we know Ken & Christine should be happy. Maybe Martha's arm will finally heal.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Eataton said:

It's funny that some of you mentioned what a jerk he is to Martha and his mom. I was going to comment that maybe he's evolving (growing up?) when he was a little nicer at the death of Martha's dad. Also to Christine by running the rodeo and taking the paying hospital job. I hope he's becoming more empathetic and responsible,but it's hard to guess if he has other motives.     

I agree with you. I think Chip has gotten nicer to others and less self-centered.

Maybe Martha's arm will finally heal.

I would love that or at least some button on this running joke.

• Love 3

I will miss this little show, although I think it lost its way. The Dale character is just annoying at this point, and Chip's constant pratfalls seem like a way to force laughs. I love Christine and will really miss her presence on my TV.

• Love 6

The best parts of this ep were Christine and her granddaughter together. It was all really sweet and real.

I also loved it when the Reverend was talking to Chip. He's such an interesting little character. I love how he was searching for some alternate for the rodeo. Chain of craft stores. Ha. And then saying maybe another rodeo needs a CEO. The actor is so good and natural.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I am really glad that Dale's daughter likes her grandma. I was worried she'd be too much of a brat, but she seemed to really enjoy Christine's recounting of the family lore.

Wasn't that great?  We're so accustomed to seeing "mean girls" of that age group. 

Dale must not have been around much, because the daughter has none of his bad qualities. 

I loved Christine chastising Dale for a homophobic comment, and saying it's okay to be gay, or bi.  And she really means it -- she's going to accept the granddaughter for who she is.  She's not just saying it to be "in" with the young kids.

• Love 8

I know we're losing our show, but if Chip and Dale accidentally offed each other in one of their stupid dust-ups, I would totally watch this show with just Christine and Ken and the rest of the characters on their own. Actually, it would probably become one of my favorite shows ever.

[Psst: paging Netflix! or Hulu!]

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I know we're losing our show, but if Chip and Dale accidentally offed each other in one of their stupid dust-ups, I would totally watch this show with just Christine and Ken and the rest of the characters on their own. Actually, it would probably become one of my favorite shows ever.

[Psst: paging Netflix! or Hulu!]

That could be pretty awesome! If they off Dale at least, take his kids, and center it around Carpet King, they would have so much to work with. It would be nice to see Chip and Martha once in a while to see how their lives are progressing. I'd like to see them together someday if he starts treating her better.

• Love 3

What did Chip sign?  I don't trust Amy.

Happy that Christine will be going to Denver.  That was a nice goodbye to California. 

I can attest to those guys from the bus company, snagging someone to be a mouthpiece.  It's happened to me at public forums -- twice.  The forum moderators/organizers will recognize the major players, but they won't know if an ordinary person is for real or not. 

Laughed at Chip going to State Capitol Coffee. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

Happy that Christine will be going to Denver.  That was a nice goodbye to California. 

Chip signed something he didn't read. So, this will not end well, like most of Chip's endeavors. I don't trust Amy either, I think she will try to swindle him, but he has nothing except clown costumes. I think even his apartment is in Christine's name.

Christine going to Denver is a good move. She needs to let those grown-ass boys fend for themselves and get on with her life with Ken. He adores her and she deserves that!

One thing bugged me: when Christine saw the guy in the wheelchair she said, "I wish I had brought a chair." She's not tone-deaf when it comes to things like that. It's something callous Dale would say for certain, but not Christine. Very OOC.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ms Lark said:

One thing bugged me: when Christine saw the guy in the wheelchair she said, "I wish I had brought a chair." She's not tone-deaf when it comes to things like that. It's something callous Dale would say for certain, but not Christine. Very OOC.

I thought she just didn't notice that the chair was on wheels. 

I loved her outfit.  I can see someone marketing that, and making some money.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

The first couple of eps she appeared in, I didn't trust her either, but I think I do now. She seems to be trying hard to help Chip, spending lots of time with him even when he pops in out of the blue. Although I didn't like her getting him to use Christine to buy a condo, I guess she just focuses on the needs of her current client without regards to anyone else.

I'm wondering about his signing that paper without reading it, but I still think Amy's on the level.

Christine's remark about wishing she brought a chair cracked me up. I don't think it was OOC. The guy sitting in a wheelchair just made her think how much more comfortable she'd be sitting down.

• Love 2

I work in a grocery store. One of the reusable grocery bags we have for sale is printed with the words "Fresh from my Head To-Ma-Toes". Every time I see it, I think of Ken reading Christine's "kitchen slogan" as "head tomatoes".

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Does anybody happen to know why this one is considered Adult.  I am not seeing nudity or words.  Just curious about that.

Maybe it's similar to a movie with a G rating.  If we don't see any kind of warning,  we'll figure it's going to be too tame to be entertaining. 

Or maybe it means that children won't appreciate/understand it.  ??

There is conflict.  People use harsh words, and they argue.  Could that be it?

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I had carpel tunnel and I wore a brace, but not a cast. I've known many other people with carpel tunnel who did the same. And none of them wore a cast. So that was weird.

I think that was the joke. It would seem a little ridiculous to constantly wear a cast for years for carpel tunnel syndrome.

• Love 5

OK, well, I lost it twice: once during the scene with Chip saying goodbye to Christine and the scene were he got into bed with Martha to watch the verdict on Judge Joe Brown. I always felt an irreparable sadness emanating from all of these characters and hoped in the final minutes of the show they were on their way to finding a modicum of happiness they deserved. 

I'm heartbroken I'll never see Christine or Martha again. I loved those characters dearly. 

Although I didn't like Penelope from the beginning, she was upfront with Chip. She flat out told him that she was marrying him for a green card. So when Christine said she didn't think Penelope ever loved him, I was like well, DUH.

But I liked that she was willing to sit in a car with Martha and drive all the way to Bakersfield to try to rescue Chip from the cult. She isn't in love with him, but she cares enough to take a long hot road trip to the middle of nowhere to help him so she isn't the absolute worst.

And she always makes me laugh when she talks about Chip's clooning! I loved that Martha pronounced it clooning while she was talking to Penelope.

Part of me is sad that we didn't see Cody and Logan in the finale, but I'm also okay with them not shoehorning them into the plot.

The one thing I didn't like was that Dale was suddenly not an awful person. When Ken told Dale that he was a good brother to Chip, I was like uh one cult kidnapping does not make up for all of the times that Dale has been an ass to Chip and Christine.

Other than that, I liked the finale. Christine deserves to be happy with Ken, and it looks like Martha and Chip are both going to be okay. I hope this is the beginning of Chip being a better friend to Martha because he's been too dismissive and rude to her in the past.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And she always makes me laugh when she talks about Chip's clooning! I loved that Martha pronounced it clooning while she was talking to Penelope.

"Clooning" always makes me laugh, too.

I thought it was very smart of Martha to use Penelope to lure Chip out of Tammy's place. Honestly, I was surprised when Dale and his friends ambushed him -- I kinda forgot what the plan was. And how hilarious was it to see Martha with the ski mask on but so obviously recognizable.

Perfect that her cast stopped a bullet. What was it Chip said? Her cast saved her arm's life. 😄

Part of me is sad that we didn't see Cody and Logan in the finale, but I'm also okay with them not shoehorning them into the plot.

Yeah, I was thinking they should have been there or at least Christine should have mentioned getting a call from them, but they couldn't come because they were on the road or something. But, yes, their presence would have been too much.

The one thing I didn't like was that Dale was suddenly not an awful person. When Ken told Dale that he was a good brother to Chip, I was like uh one cult kidnapping does not make up for all of the times that Dale has been an ass to Chip and Christine.

I also wondered about this, but I can accept Ken saying that to Dale. Ken is a good guy who tolerates a lot of bad behavior until he can't take it anymore. I think he was trying to be encouraging to Dale.

Loved Chip calling Ken Dad, and Dad calling him Son. Loved all the hugs. Loved that Chip wouldn't leave early from Martha's hospital room but instead climbed into bed with her to watch Judge Joe Brown -- Was that the name?

I guess I was wrong about Tammy. I was hoping that she wasn't taking money from Chip. I guess I assumed that all those times with Chip visiting with her and getting help was free of charge since we never saw money change hands. I hope Chip got the money back.

Martha: I think Burlington Coat Factory is known for their coats.

Oh, and I love loquats. We planted a tree in our backyard in Houston, and I was sorry that when we moved I couldn't take it with me.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

And how hilarious was it to see Martha with the ski mask on but so obviously recognizable.

The other thing I loved was that Dale made them wear ski masks to conceal their identities but their kidnapping vehicle had the name of his school on the side. Very anonymous. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

I could never warm to Martha -- there were so many times I just wanted to shake her.  But I liked seeing how people reacted to her, and I probably learned something from them.  I'd love to see the actress on a talk show, just to see different facial expressions. 

I only watched the first season and this final season -- forgot it was on, I guess.  I'll be looking for it on Amazon and Netflix, see what I missed, and maybe get some better insight into Martha's character.

• Love 3