Type keyword(s) to search

Away - General Discussion

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

Why do they always seem to have these female astronauts leaving behind a daughter?  (Like the other Netflix show: Another Life)
Because it is more acceptable to have a daughter being fearful and needy and crying over missing their mother? Perhaps a young boy who thinks their parent is an action hero and is having exciting adventures - instead of a potential victim of dangerous circumstances -   doesn't lend itself to soapy drama. 

• Useful 1

As some others have mentioned, National Geographic had a series called Mars that was good. Part fictionalized dramatic action, part documentary about the challenges of actually going to Mars. There were two seasons - 6 episodes each, i think. 
It also features a female  commander - but she doesn't come across as paralyzed by her emotions.  There is a bit of unnecessary melodrama, but it doesn't feel like a soap opera. 

• Useful 1

I tried to watch this with my kids but I just can't.  I can't.  I appreciate that it's really just a soap opera in space, but honestly if you told me I'd somehow missed the opening 5 minutes where it was explained that these people were all pulled at random off the street at the last minute to replace the real mission crew who'd been kidnapped, I would believe you.  

• LOL 4
35 minutes ago, topanga said:

Was a second season planned? It seemed like a contained 1-season story to me. 

And does this mean that Netflix does care about viewer numbers? Were Away’s numbers low?

I believe there was a planned second season. I guess they were going to open up stories from Mars, and on Earth while they were gone.

From what I know it was doing very well with Netflix and was in the top 10 of viewership, that is why people are confused as to the cancellation. I have read that the cost to do the show was quite a lot and viewership did not meet expectations for the high cost of production.

https://decider.com/2020/10/20/away-canceled-by-netflix/

Edited by juno
  • Love 1

Netflix is pretty ruthless when it comes to canceling shows. I'm a little surprised Away got canned, but I can understand why it happened if the money/eyes ratio didn't work for the network.

I also wonder if the Covid restrictions made things too complicated, as they did for GLOW. 

At least there wasn't a giant cliffhanger at the end. I think there was definitely more story—like getting the crew back to Earth—but a successful landing on Mars was a nice ending, IMO.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Netflix is pretty ruthless when it comes to canceling shows. I'm a little surprised Away got canned, but I can understand why it happened if the money/eyes ratio didn't work for the network.

I also wonder if the Covid restrictions made things too complicated, as they did for GLOW. 

At least there wasn't a giant cliffhanger at the end. I think there was definitely more story—like getting the crew back to Earth—but a successful landing on Mars was a nice ending, IMO.

With you on the giant cliffhanger, watching the last episode towards the end I wondered what kind of cliffhanger might emerge, but it never did, I am satisfied now knowing it has been cancelled. Well, not satisfied, wanted to see more, but at least it had somewhat of an ending. 

• Love 2

My dad who knows that I like sci-fi recommended this to me. My opinion on first episode:

Anyhow, I only saw the first episode. I couldn't stand the main lead. My opinion, she is in no condition to lead anything. And should go home. Her head isn't there. And while she'd miss out on this mission there probably would be others in the future. They need to rely on each other. I agree with the Chinese and Russian people she is in no condition to lead.  She made a quick decision without thinking. Which works to save someone's life but not utilizing teams abilities is reckless. Though I don't think it should be them either, someone who is unbiased should. Perhaps the guy from the moon.

Prior to her husband getting sick, I was already dreading every scene with her family and was fighting the urge to fast forward as they were boring and I really do not care. To quote a good female Captain "delete the family".

I found myself more interested in the other characters. I wish the pilot spend more time on them. I'm sure the rest of the show does. However, I unfortunately glanced a the top of this page (I was trying avoid spoilers but found something worse). It was seriously cancelled after one season. Why does Netflix do that. They used to allow at least a few seasons and it sounds like this one was liked.

With that I doubt I'll keep watching. 

Edited by blueray