Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: The End of Everything

Yay Cooper! But why is Warren looking at him like he's a plague-carrier or something. Does he have a big secret about HER? Hmm, the mind reels.

Not expecting a massive battle scene ala Game of Thrones. OBM are always outnumbered so they win through guile, guts, planning and a bit of luck. Let's go OBM! 

• Love 1

Though I'm disappointed Roberta is a special kind of dead, this worked as a series finale.  I'm glad the group all made it out intact. 

I always want the Talkers to clean the death gore off of themselves, ick.

Glad Pandora went out painfully.  Estes being put in prison and never seen again in the ep seemed kind of abrupt.  I wonder if some stuff was edited around because they had an idea the end was coming.

Though George needs good people, I can see Roberta heading back to Cooper.  When MVP tips his hat, oh yeah!

Is it me or does Kellita Smith/Roberta have chemistry with everyone?  Cooper, George, Murphy. 

I like that the last shot was of Murphy gaining knowledge and then apparently thinking of ways to benefit himself, very fitting.

Z Nation, you were fun, dumb, smart and actually had a story that advanced and even had character development, what a pleasant surprise!  I hope everyone involved gets more work from this.

• Love 7

Well, I guess that was an ok ending to the show?

I guess it was fitting that it ended with Murphy but I wish it hadn't. 

I was so happy that all the main characters are alive (well, except for Roberta).  I was giddy that Doc was going back to the water keepers and the woman he promised he was returning to.

Speaking of Roberta being dead:

On 12/27/2018 at 6:36 PM, Dizzychickstar said:

I wonder if she’s some sort of Talker; if she was actually dead and came back. Why doesn’t she need biscuits then? Maybe Cooper fed her what she needed over the course of their time together...? I dunno, but I really want to know. 

I was kind of pissed that her diet was never addressed.   Did she not need biscuits because of the black rain?  Also, although she apologized for locking him in the trunk, I was glad that Cooper left her.   He cared for her and she didn't deserve him.

Good luck to President George and Newmerica!

• Love 4
On 12/22/2018 at 10:33 PM, Stargazer2893 said:

I really hope that Warren's big secret ISN'T that she's immortal, which is super obvious at this point, lol

On 12/27/2018 at 5:36 PM, Dizzychickstar said:

I wonder if she’s some sort of Talker; if she was actually dead and came back. Why doesn’t she need biscuits then? Maybe Cooper fed her what she needed over the course of their time together...? I dunno, but I really want to know. 

Good guesses! Wonder if Roberta stays a Talker Blend or takes the vaccine to become human again when she looks up Cooper. I was worried Warren would do something silly like sacrifice herself. Warren had to be changed though as it gives her character the chance to appear in the next season with lots of new possibilities. That and Murphy's smirk hints at the future. 

Great way to end the show on an exciting episode and a note of hope. No one else died. OBM each has a sort of ending. Plus, it keeps the ZNation-verse fanfic friendly forever. 

ZNation was a guilty pleasure at first then a favorite and now a permanent rewatch show. I will really miss Warren, Doc, Addie, CZ, Kaya, 10K, Murphy and the varied discussions we've had on this board. Gotta find a new show to chat about. 

Edited by 51Muses
Added 2 lines.
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, raven said:

I hope everyone involved gets more work from this.

Same here.  I'd love to see these characters again, especially Doc (Russell Hodgkinson) and 10K (Nat Zang).  Wouldn't mind seeing Mario Van Peebles again either, heh.   

I'll miss Kaya, CZ, Addie and, ok, even Warren though she kinda pissed me off this season with the Cooper thing.

But I won't miss Murphy, lol.

Now I've gotta figure out what to do for Friday night fun. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3

Even though I wanted the show to be renewed for one more season, this was a satisfying and hopeful ending. Glad Pandora and Estes got their comeuppance. The constitution passed and George will likely be the first president of Newmerica with Warren there to assist. Warren obviously likes Cooper, but she probably wouldn't be happy isolated out at the farm since she's a natural leader. I kinda like immortal!Warren. Maybe the fact that she doesn't need biscuits like the other talkers is a result of being infected with Murphy's blood plus her direct exposure to the black rain. 

The gang will be going their separate ways, but we've seen how they always manage to find their way back to each other. Of course the last shot is of Murphy with Sun Mei's brain, no doubt concocting some scheme that will benefit others, but mostly him, cause that's Murphy for you. 

I started watching from the very first episode, and this has been a wild five seasons. I only wish we had gotten to see the zombie cheese wheel one last time. Farewell Z Nation! 

• Love 5

Pandora's dead -- yay !

Robert was dead, but came back to life -- yay !!

Murphy has the cure, and I'm sure he will figure out some way to monetize it.

10K's shooting skills are back, and his aim is true.  Yes !!!

I thought the sudden reveal that Estes' plan was a big battery was ....... odd. 
They can have hydroelectric power from the dam, which cuts back on the need for a big battery to provide power overnight or on cloudy days.

I like the thought of Addy pulling a Caine from 'Kung Fu' and roaming town to town doing good with the Z-whacker.

Kaya up and disappeared mid-episode, and wasn't even in the final scene at Altura (sure, they said she was with Nana and JZ, but still).

Overall, a decent season (and now, series) finale.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Don't forget the Z Nation prequel that will be on Netflix, although idk if it'll be as fun...

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2452909/what-we-know-so-far-about-z-nations-netflix-prequel

Eh, this doesn't sound like much fun.  Actually, I'd like to see the actors in other, non-z roles instead of being stuck in a lane.  I know DJ Qualls has done a lot of roles, and I remember Kellita Smith from the Bernie Mac show, but I don't remember for example seeing Russell Hodgkinson or Nat Zang in anything else.  

I agree that this episode tied things up but also left openings and possibilities. But, I kinda just wanted to see more of the gang interacting without an immediate call for more action. Like those Golden Girls’ episodes that are reruns with their chit chat and joking in between.  I love that Cooper returned and that Roberta has options. Love that Doc will make his way to his love and a new call to help the Waterkeepers. 

I totally agree that Warren has chem with everyone. Like those scenes with George, I was like, dang, that’s fire😊. I have to admit  that I’m not heavily invested in Black Summer-I love this cast. *off to fanfic it on out...

• Love 1

The final conflict was pretty weak...but whatever! lol

I'm so done with TV.

I think Roberta first died on Zona, which was why she was chosen as the Reset, and why Teller was connected to Dr. Caligari, who was obsessed with the idea of zombie immortality (and seemed satisfied with a closer look at Roberta before he asked for mercy).

• Love 1

I didn't realize that was the series finale, although it sure felt like it by the end.  Not really feeling much interest for Black Summer at this point.

Not sure how I feel about Roberta being some kind of super Talker.  Makes sense I guess.  I kept wondering how Cooper felt about kissing somebody who was dead.  Sorta.

Goodbye, Z Nation, you were a funny, quirky TV show that never took itself too seriously (unlike another well known, overly pretentious zombie show).

• Love 2

Instead of that final scene with Murphy, I think the writers missed a golden opportunity to have the cheese wheel rolling somewhere, to highlight the fact that this was basically a fun zombie show.  Murphy's scene could have been the next to last one.

Also, it does seem strange to me that Murphy, of all people, given his special powers, couldn't tell that Roberta was dead.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Instead of that final scene with Murphy, I think the writers missed a golden opportunity to have the cheese wheel rolling somewhere, to highlight the fact that this was basically a fun zombie show.  Murphy's scene could have been the next to last one.

That would have been awesome.

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Also, it does seem strange to me that Murphy, of all people, given his special powers, couldn't tell that Roberta was dead.

That did seem inconsistent -- especially since by the time Murphy got to Cooper's farm, Warren had already died and come back.

Since this was the series finale, I guess we will never find out who was behind that underground torture experiment where they kept having to do tasks.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Didn't she have to go through that intake process? The one that almost rejected 10K? I can't remember. 

• Love 2

Lol at Doc trying to make artillery noises. Pay no attention to the attention to the man behind the tent flap!

That was pretty cool the way they turned Estes' militia into weapons against themselves.

So Estes was a necrophiliac? Pandora the rotting bag of putrified flesh must've had that good good.

Aw damn! Roberta's been some kind of super talker this whole time!? But surely Cooper was a talker as well, with his fine self. Did I miss the explanation of how he avoided getting bitten in the car trunk? Whatever, you better go get your man, Roberta.

I'm gonna miss this wacky show. It's been a fun ride through the zombie apocalypse and out the other side where there's finally hope for a relatively peaceful future.

Didn't she have to go through that intake process? The one that almost rejected 10K? I can't remember.  

She did and almost got caught but Kaya hacked into the tracking system and altered her record just in time.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I was thinking that too, but I forgot to bring it up.  Even if she was a "special" kind of dead, Murphy should have felt that something was up with her.  I wonder if he made any sort of comments to that effect?  Maybe someone who watches this show closer than I do would remember.

7 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

Yeah, she kept failing the test until Kaya fixed it, as Joimiaroxeu noted above.  I thought that was odd at the time, but in hindsight that was an early clue.  There may have been others, but I missed them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

She did and almost got caught but Kaya hacked into the tracking system and altered her record just in time.

No, not that one (although that makes sense now), the one earlier in the season when they first got to Altura. I remember they wouldn't let Murphy go through and sent him to the lab with Sun Mei, and the intake lady found that bite mark on 10K's neck and Sarge said she did it. But I can't remember if Warren went through.

• Love 1
On 12/27/2018 at 5:36 PM, Dizzychickstar said:

I doubt it had much to do with Black Rain, and a helluva lot more to do with Warren’s getting shot by the same bullet which had immediately previously passed through Murphy - which basically constituted a direct infusion of a minuscule amount of Murphy’s blood and tissue, and all its inherent resurrection powers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Nashville said:

I doubt it had much to do with Black Rain, and a helluva lot more to do with Warren’s getting shot by the same bullet which had immediately previously passed through Murphy - which basically constituted a direct infusion of a minuscule amount of Murphy’s blood and tissue, and all its inherent resurrection powers.

That makes sense, but I'm still fixated on Roberta's diet, lol.  Murphy likes brains but what was she eating?  I think there was a scene with her and Cooper eating but I couldn't tell what it was.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Nashville said:

Definitely makes sense, although the show didn't use that in its explanation.  In fact, they seemed to forget the entire incident.  Maybe it's a combination of that and the Black Rain though.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Definitely makes sense, although the show didn't use that in its explanation.  In fact, they seemed to forget the entire incident.  Maybe it's a combination of that and the Black Rain though.

Well... other than a “maybe it was Black Rain” comment, the show made no attempt to explain it - primarily because they planned to explore the possibilities in the next season, I expect.  

Unfortunately, as we all now know, there will be no “next season”.  :(

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Well... other than a “maybe it was Black Rain” comment, the show made no attempt to explain it - primarily because they planned to explore the possibilities in the next season, I expect.  

Maybe so, but they must have known there was a possibility they weren't going to get renewed.  They seemed to put enough of an "end of series" feel in that last episode to allow it to serve as that if needed.  So most likely "maybe it was Black Rain" is about as official as it's liable to get.

5 hours ago, rmontro said:

Maybe so, but they must have known there was a possibility they weren't going to get renewed. 

Maybe, maybe not; a series’ continuity is the sort of thing which can turn on a dime.  The vibe I got from the cast-and-crew GBM was they expected the series to be renewed, right up until it wasn’t.

5 hours ago, rmontro said:

They seemed to put enough of an "end of series" feel in that last episode to allow it to serve as that if needed. 

I took it as more “end of season” than an “end of series”.  Several story lines were closed out, true; most were current-season story lines, though, and some new ones (Warren’s unique brand of dead, Murphy has a diabolical scheme associated with Sun Mei’s brain, etc.) were opened up as if TPTB were setting the course for next season.  

But, as always, YMMV.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

I took it as more “end of season” than an “end of series”.

I just thought that it was constructed so that it could serve as either, depending on which was required.  I don't think that's an unusual approach, even if they expected to be renewed.  As long as they knew there was any possibility of being cancelled, which is always a risk.  Had they been renewed, I'm sure they had some ideas in mind on where they wanted to go with it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

I just thought that it was constructed so that it could serve as either, depending on which was required.  I don't think that's an unusual approach, even if they expected to be renewed.  As long as they knew there was any possibility of being cancelled, which is always a risk.  Had they been renewed, I'm sure they had some ideas in mind on where they wanted to go with it.

I think we’ve ended up at the same place.  :)

• Love 1

1.Estes being a necro explains a lot. I wonder what he did before BS to satisfy the impulses? Doc may some use to this guy.

2. Season 4 was never explained, but the end of the series brought it back to the forefront with dead Roberta and Murphy having revelation after eating the brain, on that seasons mystery. I guess it will go down in mystery of a movie finale.