Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Part 2

Matt has an idea to get out of Dannemora, but Sweat is not interested; Matt begins to help Tilly with an inmate she doesn't get along with in the shop; Sweat comes to miss the freedoms that come with Matt's protection.

Wow Tilly, do you need a drink? Your looking a little thirsty...

This show just makes me feel cold, everything in the prison is so dirty and lifeless, and the cold winter just seems to seep into every shot. It doesn't help that most of the employees want to be in the prison about as much as the inmates want to. And somehow, Tillys 2015 pop station just makes the whole thing even more depressing.

• Love 19

Second ep not as compelling as first but still quality. Arquette is just pegging the sad desperation of this woman’s existence. She so wanted to be desired. It’s too bad as her husband does seem to appreciate her he just isn’t one of those that knows how to show it. The two convicts are master manipulators. I had a friend whose brother was in jail for 25 years and when this guy got out you wouldn’t believe how smooth he was, just a chameleon, being around him made me totally uncomfortable but he managed to get a seemingly nice woman with four kids to marry him after he had only been out less than a year. These guys are charming and dangerous so watching this is fascinating.

• Love 20

Maybe the pace of this episode was meant to mimic the tedium of these character's lives, but... it just wasn't as interesting to me as Ep. 1.  Acting, particularly by Arquette is top-notch.  I really missed Bonnie Hunt.  I hope she's back next week.  

There sure are a lot of art lovers in that prison.  

• Love 2

I find Benecio Del Toro so incredibly unappealing.  He's one of those actors that people say is sexy.  I always think, "Him? Really? Him?"  With that said, it is interesting to see how the character is ingratiating himself to her.  Assess the weakness.  Show faux kindness and understanding. Check if she'll do something for you that she shouldn't.  Of course, none of that includes the blow job, but it all resulted in it.  I am interested to see how she falls deeper into this hole. 

Patricia Arquette continues to be excellent in this role.  Her fit when she learned Sweat was losing his job was great; she channeled her inner petulant toddler and kept it up throughout.  Not exactly the best way to prove the accusations were false.  

• Love 12
1 minute ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I find Benecio Del Toro so incredibly unappealing.  He's one of those actors that people say is sexy.  I always think, "Him? Really? Him?" 

I like BDT as an actor, but I'm constantly distracted by the similarities between he and Brad Pitt.

Spoiler

Brad+Pitt-Benicio+Del+Toro,.jpgthey+are+th+same.JPGbrad_benicioAw.jpg

I also much prefer him in a good guy role, for example he was great in Traffic.  Paul Dano, though, shines in a shitbag role.  Good cast.

• Love 14
On 11/29/2018 at 10:19 AM, Drogo said:

Paul Dano, though, shines in a shitbag role.  Good cast.

I agree he's excellent in this, but I'm interested in why you call the character a shitbag. I think I may be missing something, but he seems at least as much a victim to me as a perpetrator. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I'm interested in why you call the character a shitbag

Maybe by comparison to some he seems innocent enough, but at the end of the day he's just a cop killer who uses people to his advantage when the going gets tough. 

He even treats his fellow Jack London fan like shit... he'll only be sorry when he finishes the novel and has no one to discuss it with. 

• Love 6
On 11/28/2018 at 7:09 PM, atlantaloves said:

Oh I love that Bonnie Hunt and for once she is not going her southern accent! Oh yes, art rules in prison huh? Who doesn't love a couple of cute pugs, I ask ya?

I used to know a man in an Irish prison and he crafted the most beautiful Celtic cross for me. It's solid mahogany about 18 in .high. It's become a cherished family item. And it gave him a skill for when he was released. 

But lifers shouldn't have any privileges like that, The screws should put Thorazine in their food.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, Drogo said:

I like BDT as an actor, but I'm constantly distracted by the similarities between he and Brad Pitt.

Hide contents

Brad+Pitt-Benicio+Del+Toro,.jpgthey+are+th+same.JPGbrad_benicioAw.jpg

I also much prefer him in a good guy role, for example he was great in Traffic.  Paul Dano, though, shines in a shitbag role.  Good cast.

Holy shit, I've never seen that before.  That is UNCANNY.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:03 AM, Drogo said:

Maybe by comparison to some he seems innocent enough, but at the end of the day he's just a cop killer who uses people to his advantage when the going gets tough. 

He even treats his fellow Jack London fan like shit... he'll only be sorry when he finishes the novel and has no one to discuss it with. 

He's a hard nut to crack.  I was surprised when Matt mentioned they were both lifers.  I had assumed he just did something really dumb that earned him a relatively long sentence.  The way he came at his mom on the phone showed us a little more, but it seems like he WANTS to do the right thing, he just doesn't have a strong enough will.  It's hard to see him seeking out crime, you know?  Looks like more of an opportunist criminal.  But I haven't read anything on him or his past, I'm purely going off of the show.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:43 AM, One Tough Cookie said:

I used to know a man in an Irish prison and he crafted the most beautiful Celtic cross for me. It's solid mahogany about 18 in .high. It's become a cherished family item. And it gave him a skill for when he was released. 

But lifers shouldn't have any privileges like that, The screws should put Thorazine in their food.

You'd be surprised how much some lifers can change in prison.  I've worked on appeals before and have gone to the prisons and met with them.  Some of them are better than the people outside the walls.

9 hours ago, lezlers said:

You'd be surprised how much some lifers can change in prison.  I've worked on appeals before and have gone to the prisons and met with them.  Some of them are better than the people outside the walls.

That's fine,let them do their good work in prison.They KILLED someone. i'm talking about hard, sadistic men {and women }for whom killing is a sport.  I'm not talking  about DUIs or man slaughter,I an talking about sadistic hard core irredeemable killers. Bundy, Ramieriz,Gacey, those typ.

I guess the fact that my father was a prison warden colors my view of prison/prisoners.

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

That's fine,let them do their good work in prison.They KILLED someone. i'm talking about hard, sadistic men {and women }for whom killing is a sport.  I'm not talking  about DUIs or man slaughter,I an talking about sadistic hard core irredeemable killers. Bundy, Ramieriz,Gacey, those typ.

I guess the fact that my father was a prison warden colors my view of prison/prisoners.

You know you can get a life sentence for things other than murder, right?   And that addiction can cause people to do things they would never EVER do while sober? You don't have to be a serial killer to get a 25 to life sentence.  Hell, the three strikes law in California can get someone a life sentence for surprisingly little.   I'm not saying it's the rule by any means, but not all people are beyond redemption.   And I'm clearly not talking about serial killers.  I think we can ALL agree that serial killers are irredeemable and should never see the light of day again.  But serial killers are a very small percentage of prisoners.   

• Love 3