Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: Stirring the Pot

wknt3
  • Start Topic

Erin and Frank clash over new legislation from the district attorney's office that undermines Frank's policies. Also, Erin is at odds with Governor Mendez over questionable sex-trafficking laws; Danny risks his badge to protect a friend from losing his; and an accident on the job forces Jamie to question whether he's ready to be a sergeant.

I enjoyed this episode.  The writers did an excellent job of balancing the time among Danny, Erin, and Jamie.  Even Grandpa Henry got some nice scenes.  It's nice seeing both Erin and Jamie growing into new roles.  My biggest frustration with this show is that Frank comes down on Erin and Jamie all the time, but seemingly never has a problem with the fact that Danny violates every rule in the book.   

• Love 11

Even though there was a lot to like about this episode the fact that Nikki got to speak annoyed me.   I can't stand listening to such a privileged spoiled brat.  It's too bad she didn't go to an out of state college.   I'd much rather have Jack on my TV screen than Nikki. 

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 8

Why wouldn't the NYPD/PC be brought in when the DA's office decides to change the prosecutorial policy?  Seems to me they (NYPD) would get blindsided by doing the job as it is currently mandated only to find out that the DA won't prosecute. I had to side with Frank in this instance.

However, once he knew the rules were changed, the cops should have followed suit.

This season is turning into a bummer for me.

A lot of Frank and Erin butting heads a lot is not interesting. Frank now to me is turning into a jerk. 

Somebody clue me in but I would have thought the NYPD had a clean shaven requirement. That 5 day stubble of Danny's looks so unprofessional.

Jamie very well might not be cut out for leadership. Guess that will play out over the rest of the season.

• Love 3

So if a good detective with many years of experience freezes up during a shootout because he's a new daddy, the NYPD policy is to fire him? They can't give him a desk job, or let him see a psychologist to try to work through his issues? Seems a bit harsh.

Of course Frank is always right. Let these librul D.A.s stop enforcing the marijuana laws and see what happens. Soon people will be posting videos of drug deals being done on the trunks of cop cars! What’s next? Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!!!

• Love 5

I thought this episode was dull. Frank was on his high horse, Jamie was second-guessing himself, and Danny fretted about not getting "jammed up".  And ha ha ha. It never occurred to me that the family was pulling Eddie's leg.

Just once I'd like to see a NYC cop parallel park into a space. No matter how many cops are on the scene, the protagonist cop always just gets to pull up to a "Hollywood" space. It would be comical seeing Danny frustrated as he tried to park. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, AnnA said:

Even though there was a lot to like about this episode the fact that Nikki got to speak annoyed me.   I can't stand listening to such a privileged spoiled brat.  It's too bad she didn't go to an out of state college.   I'd much rather have Jack on my TV screen than Nikki. 

I know what you are complaining about, but I did not see evidence of that in this episode. I saw a young woman who was confused and trying to figure out adult relationships, especially how to separate career and family when you are related to someone you also have to deal with in your professional life. 

We've seen Erin and Frank argue before, and I'm starting to get a little bored with it. I want to see Jamie and Frank really go at it over something work/police related that has nothing to do with Eddie. 

I like that Eddie thinks Jamie can be police commissioner. It's the first time we've heard someone mention that for awhile. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I know what you are complaining about, but I did not see evidence of that in this episode. I saw a young woman who was confused and trying to figure out adult relationships, especially how to separate career and family when you are related to someone you also have to deal with in your professional life.

My dislike of Nikki runs deep.   The fact that she had a reason for speaking is meaningless to me.   I'd be annoyed if she just asked someone to pass the potatoes.     I don't want to hear her.   I don't want to see her. 

ETA:  I don't like Erin either but my dislike of her doesn't come close to how much I hate Nikki.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2
On 11/17/2018 at 6:55 PM, CaptainCranky said:

A lot of Frank and Erin butting heads a lot is not interestingI. Frank now to me is turning into a jerk.

"Turning into"? I think that's well in the rear view mirror. Frank's always been a jerk, but this season he's acting like a flaming asshole. I'm thinking the reason that the Frank and Erin stories aren't interesting is that what we are seeing is Frank being wrong (or mostly wrong) and the aggressor and then being told that he's right and noble because he's Frank Reagan so he must be correct. If he was to back down or apologize or if Erin was to tell him that NYPD and DAs aren't rival hockey teams, but separate, yet equally important, groups in the criminal justice system (as a better written show might phrase it) that are supposed to work together to represent the people and that she isn't upset as his daughter, but because he is acting like he is the only one in NYC whose opinion is valid it would be a more compelling story. Or if she was to fight back (say by requiring police testimony at pre-trial hearings screwing up Frank's budget and ability to pursue more important crimes) and they came to an actual compromise it would be something new and interesting.

Edited by wknt3
revised and extended my remarks
  • Love 8
On 11/17/2018 at 6:37 PM, JackONeill said:

A few seasons ago, Danny got a new boss, when Sid went to work with a Frank. His new boss told him to shave it per regs. He refused and didn’t get into trouble because, you know, he’s a Reagan.

Well Danny could hardly be non compliant when Frank is sporting that broom above his lip.