Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

The tweets are really funny.

I didn't see this posted here yet.

5 Reasons Arrow is better than the Flash.

By Laura Hurley

Totally agree with every reason. Skills over superpowers is always better for me personally. I do love superpowers, but people need to learn how to use them. BA just needed to learn how to run faster in s1 which was boring. They really need to start putting some actual development into his skill set, which is why I enjoyed them bringing in the other Flash.

The Enablers is a big one for me, because every ep literally has everyone telling BA how great he is despite the fact that he at times makes some poor (albeit well intentioned) decisions knowing full well it could cause very bad things. I also think the NO RESET button is a good reason as well. The only reason the LP is bringing SL back from the dead is because of LoT. I do not think the writers would have undone their decision to kill SL without the spinoff needing her. Yes, they reveal dead people not being really dead a lot, but it is always on their own story's terms. They are big reveals and twists that have been woven into the narrative. It's different. In Flash, however they literally just have BA run fast and cause a time warp to undo whatever they want to undo, or do only for temporary reasons like Iris & Barry's kiss. We'll give you the kiss, but we'll take it back in the next running sequence. Arrow makes its characters and audience live with its decisions and consequences (some more than others).

Lastly - Laura Hurley is amazing, her tweets are hysterical and I love her analysis of the show. It really is generally always spot on.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 4

That is an interesting theory. probably wrong, but interesting. I wouldn't seeing come to life as a fanfic.

I think it already exists in fanfic. I feel like I have read it or at least seen it summaries.

But I also choose to believe that Tommy is alive somewhere. I hope his life is not horrible, but it probably is. However, the fact that MM knows so much about the side effects of using the LP on dead people and he was not seen for over a year, makes me believe that TM could be alive and resurrected via LP. It would also make sense that using the pit would be one of the reasons the LoA & Ras came after MM in the first place at the beginning of s3. We never did find out why he had to kill SL or what Ras big beef with MM was. I doubt it was just the Undertaking. Add to that the fact that we never saw TM's funeral or even heard about it also lends credence to the theory that TM's body could have been taken away by MM without anyone knowing.

I'm not saying it will happen. I'm just saying its possible within the structure and events the show has set up that TM could be resurrected via LP and still be show canon. Just because the pit is destroyed now, does not mean it wasn't used 3 yrs ago by MM for TM. Do I think the writers will go there, I honestly have no idea. But its possible and that is all I need to believe that Tommy is not dead.

• Love 2

This is a really interesting WSJ article - despite the headline, there's some behind-the-scenes stuff on all of his shows (including Arrow) and a lot of info about GB himself, but I especially like the parts that mention GB's emphasis on heart and emotion in his storytelling (recommend reading the entire article)...

Greg Berlanti, the Producer Behind ‘Supergirl
By JOHN JURGENSEN  Updated Oct. 22, 2015 3:46 p.m. ET
http://www.wsj.com/articles/greg-berlanti-the-producer-behind-supergirl-1445538658

Working with characters from DC Comics, Mr. Berlanti wants to prove that the comic-book adaptations that transformed the movie business can succeed on TV schedules and budgets. “Supergirl” is the first show about a name-brand hero with superpowers on one of the traditional broadcast networks in years. It’s a high-stakes test of a formula that has spawned two successful adaptations—“Arrow” and “The Flash”—on a younger broadcaster, the CW. Early next year, the CW will launch a third series co-created by Mr. Berlanti, the time-traveling ensemble show “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.”

It’s a dizzying load of projects, not counting the feature films Mr. Berlanti has a hand in, or the six TV scripts that his production company has sold to networks for potential pilots for next year. Which raises the question that the genial, boyish-looking mogul hears almost daily: How does he juggle them all?

The answer hinges on the deep bench of producers, writers, directors and editors he has surrounded himself with since his first TV job in 1998, as a writer on the teen drama “Dawson’s Creek.” As Mr. Berlanti shepherded hits of his own (“Everwood”) and plenty of failures (“Eli Stone”), he learned to balance the creative core of his job—shaping stories—with the unremitting pressure to manage time, money and egos. His track record, however, is thanks to his focus on the emotional lives of the characters in his shows, whether a cop on the street or a bulletproof woman from the planet Krypton.
“If I had to give you one definition of my job,” he said earlier in the day, “it is to be the arbiter of the emotional experience for the audience. From the inception of the idea to the final mix [of an episode], we have to drive toward these highs and lows.”
In one meeting room, the recipe Mr. Berlanti applies to all his shows was written in red atop a whiteboard: “Heart. Humor. Spectacle.” He hammered home the first rule as he pinballed among rooms, talking to writers about episodes as they moved through roughly three stages: brainstorming broad plot points, “breaking” the story into its five- or six-act plot structure, and refining as writers work in pairs on the script.
In a different part of the building, Mr. Berlanti checked in with another showrunner, Marc Guggenheim, and two writers who were at a later stage of the process on an episode of “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.” The boisterous, effects-heavy show unfolds in the same narrative universe as “The Flash” and “Arrow.” As one of the writers walked Mr. Berlanti through the plot points covering two whiteboards, the producer asked probing questions. He suggested simplifying the “high-jinksy” plot and zeroing in on the “loss and pain” of a time-traveling ship captain who had suffered a personal blow.

Edited by tv echo

‘Arrow’ Review: “Restoration”
Posted on October 22, 2015  Nora Dominick ‘17
http://emertainmentmonthly.com/2015/10/22/arrow-review-restoration/

Emily Bett Rickards shines in this episode of Arrow as she delivers soon-to-be classic one-liners left and right. The young actress had several memorable scenes in the latest episode of Arrow, however one of the best comes after Oliver and Diggle are both injured in the field. Felicity delivers one of her most passionate speeches this season when she says, “This is the part where I talk and you two listen. The both of you nearly got killed out there tonight because you didn’t have each others backs.” Rickards has flourished tremendously during her four years playing Felicity Smoak. The work she accomplishes on Arrow defies expectations and it’s no surprise she is one of the most important characters on Arrow.
Of course nothing involving Team Arrow ever comes easy, while Felicity and Curtis are analyzing the playing card, Double Down appears and what ensues is a typical Arrow fight sequence, but this time Felicity is in the spotlight. Over the course of Arrow, fans have watched Felicity take down bad guys by hacking into their bank accounts, hurling tablets at them or even whacking them over the head, but nothing could’ve prepared fans to watch her use a machine gun and attempt to gun down Double Down. Emily Bett Rickards has truly come into her own and has turned Felicity into her own version of a superhero. Curtis Holt sums it up best when he asks Felicity, “Since when are you such a badass?” to which she replies, “Since always.”
  • Love 4

From the Greg Berlanti article in the WSJ:

After the meeting, Mr. Berlanti wasn’t frustrated by having to redirect the writers’ thinking. “The only way to defend an episode through the whole process, with the studio and network and actors [weighing in], is to know in your bones that this is the moment we’re writing toward.”

So the in your bones thing is a Berlanti thing. Okay then.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 10

Every time I hear that stupid bones line I start thinking, Do they have x-ray vision? Can they actually see into people's bones? Perhaps someone is calcium-deficient and they are losing bone density? Osteoporosis? Supplements might help…

• Love 3

The tweets are really funny.

I didn't see this posted here yet.

5 Reasons Arrow is better than the Flash.

By Laura Hurley

I read the article and I thought: "Wow, I shall click on the articles from this site whatever they are because they refer to the real Team Arrow as Team Arrow". And I didn't even check who was the writer, LOL. It makes sense now.

Although, I don't compare Arrow and the Flash because I'm not interested in the Flash, and I'm not sure that comparing "partners" shows is a good idea. There are enough fandom wars as it is, imo. 

ARROW Set Visit Part 1 – Meeting The Cast of Arrow! #YVRtour

http://www.fanisma.com/2015/10/arrow-set-visit-part-1-meeting-the-cast-of-arrow-yvrtour/

Having spotted Charlotte Ross A.K.A. Donna Smoak in the background we asked if they were filming together – he told us she was due to start filming the next day, and was looking forward to his scenes with her. From what I could gather 406 is going to be a real treat for those waiting for Oliver/Felicity/Donna interactions.

I took the opportunity to answer a burning question regarding his first meeting with Donna Smoak in 3×05 – he looked so happy in that scene I wondered whether that was scripted or if something had happened off camera. He implied the latter, saying ‘I was just having a really good time (filming that scene)!’

• Love 2

I read the article and I thought: "Wow, I shall click on the articles from this site whatever they are because they refer to the real Team Arrow as Team Arrow". And I didn't even check who was the writer, LOL. It makes sense now.

Although, I don't compare Arrow and the Flash because I'm not interested in the Flash, and I'm not sure that comparing "partners" shows is a good idea. There are enough fandom wars as it is, imo. 

I would usually agree with you. I generally try not to compare shows. However, FLASH seems to take a lot of pot shots at OQ in-script and I think that just inspires people to want to defend him. Hopefully, it doesn't trigger any fandom wars. But truly, it stems a lot from the FLASH writers finding a way to take OQ down a peg to raise BA in multiple shows throughout 2 seasons now. It really is kinda ridiculous on their part. Personally, there is enough room for both types of heroes, but they way you hear FLASH characters talk about OQ & TA you wouldn't believe that.

• Love 6

Erik Kain - who usually reviews video games - is the Forbes reviewer who wrote that clickbait article titled "For 'Arrow' to Survive, 'Olicity' Must Die".  In his review of the latest Arrow episode (403-"Restoration"), it should come as no surprise that he prefers Sara with Oliver (making him a Sariver shipper?) and that he's not a fan of Laurel either...

'Arrow' Season 4, Episode 3 Review: You Say Restoration, I Say Resurrection
ERIK KAIN   OCT 22, 2015 @ 12:51 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/10/22/arrow-season-4-episode-3-review-you-say-restoration-i-say-resurrection/

Still, the resurrection of Sara Lance, while not a surprise, does mark a major turning point in the story. Sara was always my favorite of the Lance sisters, and really a far, far better match for Oliver than Felicity (who is a far, far better match for Ray Palmer.)
Second, it reminded me how much better I liked Team Arrow when it was just a small operation. They say three’s a crowd, but five (or however many people Team Arrow is comprised of) is worse. Thea can be a potentially interesting character thanks to her “bloodlust” requiring her to kill or sink deeper and deeper into rage and madness. That’s cool! But Laurel is still kind of dead-weight as far as I’m concerned.
... The Atom isn’t dead, and Ray is much too charming a character to lose outright. Oh, and maybe if he comes back and Sara Lance comes back, Felicity and Oliver will realize that Olicity is a super bad idea and they’ll both go be with the people they actually belong with. There’s no spark between Oliver and Felicity. No banter. Oliver and Sara had a real thing going on, and Felicity and Ray were basically made for one another.
Edited by tv echo

These people who don't like Olicity spend an awful lot of time talking and writing about them. Thanks for the buzz, dude! :D

(I do agree with him that the team is better with fewer people though. I'm willing to wait and see how it pans out but so far five is way too many and something feels off about it, particularly when Oliver's skills are being 'dumbed' down, to an extent, to make others shine. I mean, in 402 he literally just stood there watching the others. I know it was for a specific reason but I hope it doesn't happen too often.)

(I do agree with him that the team is better with fewer people though. I'm willing to wait and see how it pans out but so far five is way too many and something feels off about it, particularly when Oliver's skills are being 'dumbed' down, to an extent, to make others shine. I mean, in 402 he literally just stood there watching the others. I know it was for a specific reason but I hope it doesn't happen too often.)

I'm waiting to see how it pans out too but there is something off about the chemistry for the whole team. I'm not sure if it was because Diggle and Oliver were on the outs but there wasn't really a team feeling in the first 2 episodes even though they were all fighting as a team. Last episode made me realise how natural the chemistry is between the original 3 so I decided to watch the Dodger episode last night and there wasn't really a warming period with those three; they just clicked straight away. Wait and see for the rest though. 

This reviewer doesn't appear to like opposites attract couples, which fair enough I guess. Here I'm thinking Sara and Palmer might be quite fun to watch as she would just look at him with disdain and he would try to make her laugh. Could be fun.

• Love 8

If I understand the comic dynamic between GA and BC, they were an opposites attract couple, but he was the light one and she the more serious one. Sara and Ray could come closer to that than Oliver and Sara ever could, lol.

• Love 7

These articles pertain to another controversial aspect of Arrow that was recently raised by 403 - Original Team Arrow or OTA (the jbuffyangel article is from 2014 but still relevant)...

Why original Team Arrow is way better than the new lineup
3 days ago Michelle Carlbert 
http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1099993/arrow-season-4-episode-3-review

WHO IS REALLY THE ORIGINAL TEAM ARROW?
jbuffyangel   SEPTEMBER 14, 2014 @ 13:43
http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/97493933008/who-is-really-the-original-team-arrow

arrow-searson-4-episode-3-quote.jpg

Edited by tv echo

Actually, the headline should read AoS, Flash and Arrow lay the groundwork for their spin-offs...

'Agents of SHIELD' and 'The Flash' Lay the Groundwork for their Spin-Offs
By Craig Wack | TV Reviews | October 22, 2015
http://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/agents-of-shield-and-the-flash-lay-the-groundwork-for-their-spinoffs.php#.VikOTCDbYAM.twitter

Arrow did its part by getting two characters spinning in the direction of Legends of Tomorrow. Most obvious was Sara Lance’s resurrection in the League of Assassins’ Lazarus Pit. She went in a withered husk in a tactical bustier that was dead for a year and came out a feral wet ball of anger in a tactical bustier. There’s going to be some plot to milk as Sara comes to terms with her new state of existence and the bloodlust that comes from a bath in the pit.

Sara’s journey from rage zombie to White Canary is going to be fun, but the glee of her return is blunted by the knowledge that once they no longer have to chain her in the basement, Sara is going to depart Arrow again leaving us to deal with her wannabe sister, Laurel.

Secondarily, Felicity’s phone has been acting up and at the end of the episode it went all Matrix-y and flashed her name. This will undoubtedly be the work of presumed dead super-genius Ray Palmer who we’re going find out is only really really tiny.

Edited by tv echo

From the past week...
Quantico, Arrow, and Once Upon a Time: Not So Hidden Lairs and Other TV Gaffes
Posted on October 24, 2015, 8:44 pm By Lyra Hale
http://telltaletv.com/2015/10/quantico-arrow-and-once-upon-a-time-not-so-hidden-lairs-and-other-tv-gaffes/

Double Down making it down into the Arrow lair, Arrow
JR Bourne, you are beautiful and your presence was wholly welcome in this week’s episode of Arrow. In fact, can you appear in The Flash next? We wouldn’t mind that. Your abilities are on point, after all, and your evil persona makes us want to see you fail (okay, that’s a lie, we kind of want you to win). Now, we know you’re obviously a very skilled meta-human, but …eh …how did you get into the lair? Felicity and Curtis jump into the Palmer Tech elevator and go down to the supposedly secret lair that was apparently always there, under the building. And yet YOU manage to get there around the same time they do. How did you find the door? How did you even know where to go? And, while we’re at it, let us commend you for staying in tip-top physical shape. For someone who presumably ran down the stairs, you didn’t even look out of breath! It’s not like you’re some superhuman beast who changes during the full moon and ….nope. Wrong show.

And from the previous week...
5 Moments on TV That Did Not Make Sense
October 17, 2015, 4:32 pm  By Lizzie
http://telltaletv.com/2015/10/5-moments-on-tv-that-did-not-make-sense/

Digging up Sara’s body. But oh wait. There’s no dirt on them!!! Who did it?! Arrow
The answer is obvious. Thea, what with all the money Malcolm left, her, hires some big bulky men to dig up the grave for them. It looks like a very professional job, after all. Very tidy. All the dirt piled up in a little mound. Thea and Laurel certainly didn’t do it.  Oh, no. They look like they just went through hair and makeup (which they probably did), not as if they slaved over the grave for like, three hours. Because digging up a body is not easy, no. IT’S HARD WORK.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

BuddyTV's reviews of 402 and 403...

'Arrow' Recap: Thea's Aggressive Condition Worsens
Wednesday, October 14, 2015 Derek Stauffer
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/arrow/arrow-recap-theas-aggressive-c-57757.aspx

Nothing probably sums up the all-new tone for Arrow better than Oliver handing Felicity a paper bagged lunch in the first few minutes of "The Candidate". Less you think Arrow is all sappy Olicity moments now, that is far from the case. There are still the bad guys, the fights and the attempted murders but everything is a lot more fun now in Season 4, even the attempted murders. OK, maybe not the attempted murders, but everything else in "The Candidate" was a lot lighter stuff than normal. Surprisingly so because Arrow started to pick up some its darker plot threads left dangling from last season, mainly the mystery of what is happening to Thea.
Anyway Captain Duckface calls Oliver and gives him Madison's location so Oliver can "prove himself." You know, like Oliver hasn't been nearly single-handedly saving the city and even Lance personally for years....
Then we have a pair of some really terrible decisions. Oliver decides that he can't just be Green Arrow and inspire hope. He should run for mayor. This is a storyline straight out of the comics, but it is still doomed to failure. Laurel learns the full history and truth about Thea's resurrection and she decides it's time for the Lazarus Pit to spread the sibling revival wealth. Laurel tells Oliver that she's going on a spa vacation with Thea. Really Laurel just goes to the graveyard. Laurel digs up and takes Sara's body to go to Nanda Parbat. The mature and life-savvy Laurel lasted about 22 minutes.

'Arrow' Recap: Oliver and Dig Struggle to Mend Their Friendship
Wednesday, October 21, 2015  Derek Stauffer
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/arrow/arrow-recap-sara-is-brought-ba-57828.aspx

"Restoration" turned out to be a very appropriate title for this episode of Arrow. The main restoration was obvious as this was the episode that brought Sara Lance back to life but Dig and Oliver's friendship was also put on stronger footing. By far, "Restoration" was the best episode of season and when Arrow starts out this strong we can only hope it's going up from here.
In Nanda Parbat, Laurel has a hit a totally expected wall. Apparently everyone else is not cool with bringing zombie Sara into the world. Thea technically wasn't dead so that somehow made her resurrection cool with the League of Assassin's mysterious BS rules. Even Nyssa won't back Laurel's play because she loves Sara, but knows using the Pit could change her. So Nyssa is acting like a normal person dealing with grief. You know like Laurel was about 24 hours ago. (God, this story makes Laurel look stupid.)
The guys regroup at the new hideout and the most glorious speech in the history of Felicity speeches happens. Felicity opens up a can of verbal whoop-ass telling the guys to get their crap sorted out. Remember when Felicity cried at literally everything and whined last season? Yeah, that Felicity isn't around anymore.
The torture session is interrupted by another slave. She confesses to being the thief and Oliver is ordered to take her out into the jungle and shoot her Old Yeller style. Oliver, of course, doesn't kill her. Oliver grabs the girl and they manage to flee further into the jungle. Also let's just be honest, Oliver is totally going to bone this girl the first chance he gets.
Edited by tv echo

'Arrow' Is Bringing Sara Lance Back in the Worst Way Possible
Friday, October 16, 2015 Derek Stauffer
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/arrow/arrow-is-bringing-sara-lance-b-57771.aspx

It's a problem that the Lazarus Pit has started to become Arrow's get out of death free card but the real issue is what Laurel resurrecting Sara does to Laurel's character. Laurel's entire journey in Arrow season 3 was her developing an identity outside of her sister's shadow. Laurel's first method of coping with Sara's death was to become Sara and she discovered rather quickly that is a terrible idea. Mainly because the only qualification Laurel had to be a vigilante was that her dad was a cop, whatever that means.

In the episode "Canaries" (coincidentally one of Arrow's best episodes ever) Laurel has to literally fight the specter of her dead sister. By episode's end, Laurel finally moved past her grief and her very odd form of denial. Laurel acknowledged that Sara was dead, that she wasn't Sara and she never would be and that was OK. After "Canaries" Laurel became the Black Canary for herself not in some misguided attempt to honor her sister. She came to peace with Sara's death and the event didn't consume her. Sara's death was still a defining moment for Laurel but THE defining moment.

Early in "The Candidate" Arrow even demonstrated how Laurel had learned from her mistakes. When Diggle told Laurel that he had been on an all-consuming solo mission to avenge his own sibling, Laurel told him that path would only end in tragedy. Laurel knew at that moment that lying and doing whatever you want is a problem. She just seemed to forget that all by episode's end. Laurel lying to Oliver and taking Sara's body from her grave to resurrect it in Nanda Parbat stands in direct contradiction with what she told Dig.  Not to mention it looks particularly stupid considering so much about "The Candidate" was about how Thea being brought back has damaged her more than helped. Laurel doing this brings her character right back to where she was before "Canaries". The more mature person that Laurel was after "Canaries" being nothing more than a passing phase.
Now that magic and metahumans have been introduced in this universe there are other ways to bring Sara back. It could be a more mystical, more isolated and mysterious event. Something that can't be replicated so easily and achieved by a quick plane trip to some nondescript, vaguely Middle Eastern land....

Edited by tv echo

I would usually agree with you. I generally try not to compare shows. However, FLASH seems to take a lot of pot shots at OQ in-script and I think that just inspires people to want to defend him. Hopefully, it doesn't trigger any fandom wars. But truly, it stems a lot from the FLASH writers finding a way to take OQ down a peg to raise BA in multiple shows throughout 2 seasons now. It really is kinda ridiculous on their part. Personally, there is enough room for both types of heroes, but they way you hear FLASH characters talk about OQ & TA you wouldn't believe that.

I understand the feeling, it's annoying. I don't know what they say exactly on the Flash because I don't watch it (more or less Tommy's discourse, vigilante = serial killer thing, last time I heard about it). But unfortunately, Oliver-bashing seems to be a stapple of the Arrowverse, if I take the season opener of his own show, and not only of the Flash.

So I think that pointing out how the Flash writers put Oliver down in order to prop Barry, how negatively spitting like this on the mothership and by extension on the Arrow viewers who happen to love Oliver reflects on them, and how it pits Flash and Arrow fandoms against each other which is counter-productive since the goal of making spinoffs is that everybody watches and loves both shows, would be a more effective way to lay out the problem imho than entering the pissing contest.

I recently saw a picture of BR and CL at Comicon, and against myself as a fan of Sara/Nyssa and as a Ray hater (I'm mollified now that he doesn't hog airtime on Arrow, though) I thought there was more chemistry in this picture than in all the scenes I saw of him and Felicity. *hangs head in shame*

• Love 2

I bet they will try so hard not to make Ray look creepy in LoT lol.And him and Caity seem to have chemistry from what I've seen from a movie they did.The dynamic of a character as light as Ray and dark as Sara could be interesting.But idk it seems too soon for Sara to be with someone after Nyssa.I hope 4.03 wasn't the last time they see each other because in that case they haven't even really broken up.

• Love 4

I understand the feeling, it's annoying. I don't know what they say exactly on the Flash because I don't watch it (more or less Tommy's discourse, vigilante = serial killer thing, last time I heard about it). But unfortunately, Oliver-bashing seems to be a stapple of the Arrowverse, if I take the season opener of his own show, and not only of the Flash.

People on The Flash taking good-natured jabs at Oliver would be perfectly fine IMO, because Oliver is the kind of guy who needs to be ribbed every once in a while. But acting like Barry is somehow the superior hero when yes, Oliver has done some terrible things, but he's never risked the entire UNIVERSE out of selfishness. Barry's dumb ass opens a black hole over Central City, and he's lauded for CLEANING UP HIS OWN MESS. Drives me crazy, haha. 

• Love 18

People on The Flash taking good-natured jabs at Oliver would be perfectly fine IMO, because Oliver is the kind of guy who needs to be ribbed every once in a while. But acting like Barry is somehow the superior hero when yes, Oliver has done some terrible things, but he's never risked the entire UNIVERSE out of selfishness. Barry's dumb ass opens a black hole over Central City, and he's lauded for CLEANING UP HIS OWN MESS. Drives me crazy, haha.

I have to say that Flash Day thing really turned me off The Flash. Probably because I'm an X-Men fan but I rather prefer a story where the heroes aren't celebrated and worshipped. Guess that's why I've never liked Superman and have no desire to watch Supergirl, just not my cup of tea.

ETA: Or my X-Men love could be a result of the fact that I love those unsung hero type stories

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

All you people who are okay with Sara/Ray should be ASHAMED of yourselves!  Hasn't she been through enough?

I know, I know. But the picture was so very cute. Me like cute. Plus, they didn't kill Nyssa to "clear the way" if there's a way to clear so I'm definitely mollified. *hangs head in shame*

I like Brandon Routh!

I do like him, he seems charming and unassuming. I was sorry for him because it isn't the first time, it seems, that his character is thrown in the middle of a Fan Preferred couple.

I see what you mean. I did like when Barry verbally kicked Oliver out of his manpain during the crossover, but it was indeed in Oliver's interest. Propping is a whole other business and it makes glass houses only more obvious.

• Love 1

I have to say that Flash Day thing really turned me off The Flash. Probably because I'm an X-Men fan but I rather prefer a story where the heroes aren't celebrated and worshipped. Guess that's why I've never liked Superman and have no desire to watch Supergirl, just not my cup of tea.

ETA: Or my X-Men love could be a result of the fact that I love those unsung hero type stories

I wouldn't have a problem with Flash Day if he'd earned it. I don't really think he should be lauded for saving the city he put in danger. I also think it's way too early for Barry to be getting these commendations. It's been one season. He's barely a hero.

• Love 11

This reviewer doesn't appear to like opposites attract couples, which fair enough I guess. Here I'm thinking Sara and Palmer might be quite fun to watch as she would just look at him with disdain and he would try to make her laugh. Could be fun.

This guy is the same guy who bitterly ranted in his review of 3x20 that Felicity was a fool for dumping "nice guy" Ray-- who treated her so well!-- to jump into bed with "bad boy" Oliver. Sounds to me he's still projecting a personal rejection experience onto the characters. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 14

Yeah, I think that's him too.

Forbes had someone else review/preview 4x01, but I guess it's this guy's regular gig. Since he hates Olicity and doesn't like the expanded team, I hope he has lots of fun being forced to watch the upcoming episodes!

• Love 3

Welp... In the opinion of this person:

10 Bad TV Characters Who Ruined Otherwise Good Shows

By Bobby Bernstein on October 14, 2015

http://www.nerdmuch.com/tv/4415/bad-tv-characters-good-shows-ted-mosby-kitty-heroes-reborn/

4. Laurel Lance, Arrow

Laurel Lance is easily the most disliked character on Arrow. Her transition into Black Canary following her sister’s death doesn’t help; Sara was infinitely preferable and more believable as the masked vigilante. Although Laurel Lance is Black Canary in the comics, her character in the show is far too weak — she’s poorly developed, one-dimensional, and inconsistent. Combined with her lack of training, her incompetent Black Canary is almost a mockery in the wake of Sara’s.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 8

Ummmmm................

10 Horrible Television Characters Everyone Absolutely Hates

RamshaSadiq

http://www.carbonated.tv/entertainment/most-hated-television-characters-gifs

Laurel Lance – Arrow

Laurel Lance didn’t have much of a purpose on CW’s super-hero show Arrow for a very long time.

She bounced around various annoying love interests and went from being a gutsy attorney to an alcoholic damsel in distress. However, she now operates under the code name “Black Canary” and has managed to redeem herself… to some extent.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1

Ummmmm................

10 Horrible Television Characters Everyone Absolutely Hates

RamshaSadiq

http://www.carbonated.tv/entertainment/most-hated-television-characters-gifs

Bad & inaccurate title, absolutely is a little extreme. Gotta hand it to author a lot of these characters deserve a spot on that list, maybe not for the author's reasons but definitely still on that list. I actually just finished s4 of Homeland and sat there for most of the marathon panicked that they might bring Dana back for inexlicit reasons.

• Love 1

Still included in Top 10 'Horrible' and 'Bad' lists in season 4!?!?!  Hardly the kind of consistency one should aspire to, but demonstrates to me that I'm not alone in my opinion that the character of Laurel Lance is a canker that should be excised from an otherwise strong season of Arrow.  

• Love 4

Having Oliver dissed in-show on Flash and celebrating Barry as a hero for making a selfish choice and risking the universe just made me not want to watch Flash.

It's not all bad news for Laurel (though choice of photo used is curious)...

Deadly Obsession: 19 TV Characters We Can't Get Enough Of
By Kartik Chainani on Thursday, October 22, 2015
http://www.buddytv.com/slideshows/arrow/deadly-obsession-19-tv-characters-we-cant-get-enough-of-38841.aspx

15 of 17
Laurel Lance/Black Canary, Arrow

While we all loved Sarah Lance as the Black Canary, Laurel has seriously taken her to new levels. Watching her fight crime is often more entertaining than watching Green Arrow because Laurel does it with a lot more ferocity and attitude. I'd rather be saved by her than Oliver any day. 

deadly-obsession--19.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Here's Laura Hurley's in-depth review of 403 (and it's a thing of beauty)...

Arrow S04E03: What worked, what didn't, and what needs to happen next
Laura Hurley   October 25, 2015 9:53 AM MST
http://www.examiner.com/article/arrow-s04e03-what-worked-what-didn-t-and-what-needs-to-happen-next

Digg and Oliver had one of the most raw interactions of the episode when Oliver finally snapped and demanded to know why Digg wasn’t giving him the chance to rebuild the trust between them. That these two men heard each other out despite everything made it clearer than ever that the bond of brotherhood is still present between them. David Ramsey and Stephen Amell continue to pull wonderful performances from one another, and their characters’ showdown that should have been emotionally draining was a wonderful boost for both of their them.
There may not have been any makeout scenes or flat surface calisthenics or super bad hiding of an engagement ring in this episode, but “Restoration” was everything that Oliver and Felicity should be on Arrow. They were quietly in love in the background as an enhanced version of what they had been at their best in earlier seasons. There was a more intimate significance in Felicity’s concern about Oliver in the field without her subsequently murmuring sweet nothings over the comms, and the urgency in Oliver after Felicity was attacked in the lair had an extra dose of panic without requiring him to feel her up for injuries. This is the kind of romance so perfectly and quietly epic that fans of the relationship can delight while the indifferent can be unbothered. If Arrow continues to handle the hero’s love story with as delicate and soft a touch as it has so far in Season 4, Oliver and Felicity may be a precedent to which other comic shows can aspire.
There really is a magical chemistry between the members of Original Team Arrow. They’re different ages with different experiences and at different points in their lives, but they somehow work as one of the most effective grounding elements to keep the show feeling real even as it delves more and more into the fantastical.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

Laurel Lance/Black Canary, Arrow

While we all loved Sarah Lance as the Black Canary, Laurel has seriously taken her to new levels. Watching her fight crime is often more entertaining than watching Green Arrow because Laurel does it with a lot more ferocity and attitude. I'd rather be saved by her than Oliver any day.

Interesting, I would have said it was the other way around. Sara was far more fascinating to me and I actually barely take notice of Laurel when she's BC. She just sort of fades into the background, IMO. Nothing really makes her stand out to me. I actually notice her more when she's Laurel. Each to their own, though!

Digg and Oliver had one of the most raw interactions of the episode when Oliver finally snapped and demanded to know why Digg wasn’t giving him the chance to rebuild the trust between them. That these two men heard each other out despite everything made it clearer than ever that the bond of brotherhood is still present between them. David Ramsey and Stephen Amell continue to pull wonderful performances from one another, and their characters’ showdown that should have been emotionally draining was a wonderful boost for both of their them.

There may not have been any makeout scenes or flat surface calisthenics or super bad hiding of an engagement ring in this episode, but “Restoration” was everything that Oliver and Felicity should be on Arrow. They were quietly in love in the background as an enhanced version of what they had been at their best in earlier seasons. There was a more intimate significance in Felicity’s concern about Oliver in the field without her subsequently murmuring sweet nothings over the comms, and the urgency in Oliver after Felicity was attacked in the lair had an extra dose of panic without requiring him to feel her up for injuries. This is the kind of romance so perfectly and quietly epic that fans of the relationship can delight while the indifferent can be unbothered. If Arrow continues to handle the hero’s love story with as delicate and soft a touch as it has so far in Season 4, Oliver and Felicity may be a precedent to which other comic shows can aspire.

There really is a magical chemistry between the members of Original Team Arrow. They’re different ages with different experiences and at different points in their lives, but they somehow work as one of the most effective grounding elements to keep the show feeling real even as it delves more and more into the fantastical.

Couldn't agree more with this. OTA have the kind of easy natural chemistry that just clicks. It's just so nice to watch. Seeing them on screen again last week, I was just like 'Ah, there it is!'

And I agree with everything she said about Olicity. You know they're together but it's just subtle and understated and doesn't interfere with anything. It's very organic and easy so far. I'm really loving how they're handling them this season.