Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

If there was one thing the show was careful about, it was to show how trained Mia was. She was trained as a toddler and Nyssa may or may not have lived with them even.

That's a lot of training and I would say it's as decent as Oliver or Sarah's training with the difference being she didn't need to survive.

She could take on Nyssa by the time she was a teen and probably got stronger while living as an alley cat.

Those goons were easy peasy lemon squeezy. Stupid reviewer.

• Love 5

Here's Carissa's surprisingly positive review of a Felicity-heavy, Laurel-free episode (though she still manages to mention Laurel twice)...

Arrow Season 7 Episode 16 Review: Star City 2040
Carissa Pavlica at March 18, 2019 11:41 pm
https://www.tvfanatic.com/2019/03/arrow-season-7-episode-16-review-star-city-2040/

I can only surmise that Felicity took her daughter into hiding because of what she unleashed back in 2019 and how it changed her world.
It must eventually fall into the wrong hands (or get hacked by better hackers than Felicity) because Galaxy is attempting to take over the world using Archer.
I can tell you what Mia doesn't like. She doesn't much care for liars. Good on her.
Mia has sharper oral delivery than her father did, as you would have growing up with Felicity as your mom. But William is the funny guy to Mia's stoicism on a mission. They make a brilliant team.
Felicity and Mia had some excellent scenes together as they came to terms with Mia's existence and Felicity's purpose.
What's exciting about this development is that we'll have more of Felicity in the future.
There has also been no word of Laurel in the future, although the Canaries being a group gives me hope she still goes back to the craft.
Laurel believes Emiko is an enemy, and Emiko's connection to Dante might bear that out. The entire city is eventually going to turn against the vigilantes in a way that isn't remotely on track with them working in conjunction with CPD in the present.
For the first time in ages, Arrow is delivering character-driven stories that don't center exclusively on plot. 

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Season 7 Episode 16 Review – ‘Star City 2040’
MARCH 19, 2019 BY JESSIE ROBERTSON 
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2019/03/arrow-season-7-episode-16-review-star-city-2040/

So, Star City in the year 2040 was a very clever plot device when the season started and I feel like it’s had one of the most fleshed out storylines of all the time jump stories that accompany each season. But, I have to admit: it feels a bit empty without the presence of Stephen Amell, and to a lesser degree, David Ramsey as this show started with those two. This whole episode was a retreat to this storyline to basically gives us Felicity back, at least one part of the original Arrowverse Trinity. And despite the questionable old age makeup, it’s good to see her.

I am really digging Ben Lewis as adult William; his character has layers to him that you wouldn’t have expected by what material his teenage self is given. He’s complicated, and dark, like his father, but has an upbeat and witty side as well, stemming from his mother by marriage. Plus, he’s a hacker and it’s an interesting twist to give Oliver’s daughter his drive and fighting skills. Katherine McNamara as Mia does her best Oliver Queen impression and it’s close, but unlike his character, her origins are a bit more muddled. Randomly finding a secret room in their house and the after match blow up she gave her Mother felt way over the top and just a plot device to get her to where they needed her once William discovers her. But, how much time had passed from the time she runs away to current time at the end? Hard to gauge, unless I just missed it in the show. I feel like she does an admirable job but there are some issues with the sequence of events and plausibility in my mind.
It was exciting to see Colton Haynes back as Roy, but he’s basically been a bit player so far, although we did see a very Oliver-esque anger fit in last night’s episode that at least gave him some character. The new bad of this story is pretty generic as well, basically recreating Merlyn’s “bomb the whole damn city to rubble” premise from Season 1 all over again. I think the more they’ve revealed of this storyline and drawn it out, it’s become less interesting but the new cast members are keeping the intrigue and action relevant.

There’s also a huge theme this season dealing with the term “vigilante” which has always been a buzzword on the show but it’s more and more defined as being a hero who has to work outside the law, not because it’s easier but because it’s more effective. The moral being if you’re a semi-moral person, being a vigilante is okay. I’d love to see more history from this time period and give us some meat on how vigilantes ruined the city to the point where it is now.

Edited by tv echo

It must eventually fall into the wrong hands (or get hacked by better hackers than Felicity) because Galaxy is attempting to take over the world using Archer.

The passive aggressive is strong with this one, lol.  

• LOL 4

Regarding the ScienceFiction.com reviewer's comment that "Having Mia face off (and take down) nearly a dozen well-armed and highly-trained guards destroys any sense of credulity." ...

I found it believable because (1) Mia shorted out the electricity before the fight began, so the fight took place in darkness, which she was probably trained to fight in, while the guards were not, and (2) the guards were ordered by Dale to take her alive, so they could not shoot her or try to kill her.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I really don't get this issue with Felicity's old makeup.  Felicity and Roy looked like someone in their early 50s would look.  Dinah/Rene look like 50 year olds that did copious amounts of drugs/alcohol/partying and are paying for it years later.

• LOL 5
  • Love 11

Was reading an article about an ABC show The Rookie (which is so different than Arrow but I like it).  Watched the episode last night and there was a moment where my mind went to Arrow and this reviewer apparently agreed.  Putting the link in a spoilers tag cause the big thing in the episode is right there in the URL (why do they do that?)

Andersen to her credit pulled an Oliver Queen and broke her thumb to wrest free from the cuffs. 

I enjoyed the shout out.  😄  (Also, it's Zoe Anderson so the comparison wasn't even being made to someone that looked like Oliver.  I like that he has a signature move and it's ironically not arrow related, lol)  

Arrow Season 7 Episode 16 Review: “Star City 2040” 
Chris King  March 20, 2019
https://www.tvovermind.com/arrow-season-7-episode-16-review-star-city-2040-mia-smoak/

Last week’s episode of Arrow ended with Mia and William preparing to travel to the Glades to find Felicity, and they do spend about half of “Star City 2040” in search of their mother, going undercover at Cyber-One and teaming up with Connor (who is revealed to be an agent of Knightwatch, aka a “good version of ARGUS”). But Felicity is in a good chunk of the flash-forwards that fill this week’s episode of Arrow, both before and after her children discover her locked away in a cell, and it’s this connective tissue that results in “Star City 2040” being one of the best episodes of Season 7.

Felicity’s presence throughout the early years of Mia’s life, along with the reveal that she’s the person who created Archer, provide insight and answers to so many of the questions that viewers have had throughout this season. No, it’s not every answer that fans have been clamoring for (people can still debate whether or not Oliver is dead in the flash-forwards), but each answer is an interesting one, from Felicity’s choice to keep Mia hidden to having Nyssa be the one who trains her to protect herself to hiding whatever secret hacking work she is doing from her daughter. Felicity’s choices here make sense, even if they’re controversial; they are in line with her and Oliver’s commitment to protecting their children (something Felicity continues to do for her son as much as her daughter by monitoring William and more than likely bankrolling his company under the guise of an anonymous backer) and they echo the actions of Moira Queen, who did not always make the best or most moral decisions when it came to her children but they were always made with good intentions. The same can be said for Felicity’s parenting of Mia. It’s by no means perfect, but who can blame Felicity for being overprotective of her daughter when she’s already lost so much else, from her son to her husband to her home? Plus, it appears, given the final scene of “Star City 2040,” that Felicity blames herself for everything bad that will soon be happening to vigilantes in Star City in the present-day storyline. If that’s the case, then, yet again, it would make sense that Felicity would not want to risk Mia’s safety by allowing her to explore the outside world; all of her other more recent risks have seemed to backfire, costing her more than she has been willing to or should have to give up. She wants to hold on to the last thing, the last person, who means the most to her as tightly as she possibly can.
... And now heroism appears to be Mia Smoak’s purpose as well, a purpose that has been passed down to her by her mother and father, but most importantly, a purpose that she has independently chosen for herself. We may be nearing the end of Oliver Queen’s journey on Arrow, but Mia Smoak’s story is just beginning. “Star City 2040” is one hell of a good first chapter.
- Let’s pause for a second to acknowledge how absolutely wonderful that hug between William and Felicity is, especially since it’s their first interaction with each other in years. Forget all of William’s talk about being abandoned. He just missed his mom, you guys. “I never thought I’d see you again.” “I thought you’d never want to…I’m so sorry, William.” I’m not crying. You are.
- So Mia and Connor have definitely been in a romantic relationship of some kind over the months/years they’ve known each other, which is why she takes the revelation that he’s a Knightwatch agent so hard, and I am going to need Arrow to dedicate more screentime to these two because Katherine McNamara and Joseph David-Jones have some fantastic chemistry.
- “Star City 2040” opens with Mia’s birth, and it’s mostly what was shown in last week’s promo for the episode but I still want to applaud the small, silent, but impressive acting that Stephen Amell does in that scene. Oliver’s expression says so much about his happiness but also about his fear of losing this child that he and Felicity have created together. Honestly, Amell does some of his best work on this show without any lines.
- “This is Mia. This is mine and Oliver’s impeccable genetics.” Hands down, the best line of this episode. One of the best lines of this season, honestly.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Arrow Episode Guide: Season 7, Episode 16 - Star City 2040
Starman   March 20, 2019
http://www.mygeekygeekyways.com/2019/03/arrow-episode-guide-season-7-episode-16.html

Dinah's contact with the SCPD says that a group called the Eden Corps was responsible for faking Felicity's death. Reference is also made to their nuking cities. In the Green Arrow comics, the Eden Corps was an eco-terrorist group led by a woman named Veronica Dale, that Oliver Queen tried to infiltrate in what turned out to be his last adventure as Green Arrow. Oliver sacrificed himself to destroy a biological weapon the Eden Corps intended to unleash on Metropolis.

This is not the first time the Eden Corps have appeared in the Arrowverse. The Eden Corps was the group responsible for trying to activate a nuclear bomb in Central City in The Flash episode "Enter Flashtime" (i.e. F415.) Their leader was also a woman named Veronica Dale.

The CEO of Galaxy One - the company that is a front for the Eden Corps - is a man named Keven Dale. This is likely the son of the Arrowverse version of Veronica Dale or another member of the Dale family.

Connor Hawke is revealed to be an agent for an organization called Knightwatch, which is described as the good version of ARGUS. In the comics, Knightwatch was the military wing of the D.E.O. and their duties included protecting the President from metahuman and magical attacks.These agents wore armor similar to that of the organization Checkmate.

William reveals that the angel investor who helped him get his company off the ground was a company called City of Emeralds Capital. There is a double reference here suggesting that Felicity was his mystery investor. First, City of Emeralds is the name of the largest city in Oz (i.e. Emerald City), which is revealed to be Felicity's favorite book. The Emerald City is also the nickname of Seattle, Washington, which has been the home town of Green Arrow in the comics and occasionally the model for Star City.

It is said that Keven Dale's ultimate goal is to promote a peaceful Star City to other cities as an ideal town and use that to take the Archer protection system global. This is similar to the tactics used by The Ninth Circle during Benjamin Percy's Green Arrow run, where they destroyed Seattle with several terrorist attacks and then used that as an excuse to gentrify the whole city while promoting their own unique brand of Laissez-faire capitalism and using that to take over other cities.

Edited by tv echo

Believe it or not, jbuffyangel's entire review of 716 is like 4x longer than what I've quoted...

The New Eve: Arrow 7x16 Review (Star City 2040)
March 21, 2019
http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/183603921683/the-new-eve-arrow-7x16-review-star-city-2040

Felicity squeezes Oliver’s hand tight, her wedding ring shining in the sun, as she pushes one final time. This image of them holding hands as she brings Mia into this world is a powerful symbol of where their story began and what their love created.
Of course, Oliver and Felicity’s daughter is born in the morning with the sunlight brightly shining on them. 
Felicity’s aging makeup is practically nonexistent 
because if you came from the gene pool of the immortal Donna Smoak you’d look banging at fifty one too. 
Also, Felicity Smoak is the Queen of DCTV and as such it is mandatory she look amazing in any timeline.
Future Felicity is very… chill. There’s a reserve to her twenty years later. It’s almost a quiet calmness. Still waters run deep sort of vibe. There’s less babble and exuberant cheerfulness, but she’s still Felicity. 
She talks boys with her daughter, weaving in all the Wizard of Oz references, without missing a beat in her rapid fire delivery, but there’s a measured tone to it. This is older and, if possible, even wiser Felicity. Life has taken its toll, but it hasn’t stolen her light. Felicity is still our girl and she’s created some kind of happy life with Mia. No matter where Oliver is this is what he would want for his wife.
I love the shot of Mia sitting down at the computer. She is sitting directly in the middle of the split between screens like missing puzzle piece. The past meets the present and Mia is split in between the seam. For the first time all members of the Queen family are represented in one room. The screens are connected and angled at a point. It almost looks like the photos and screens make the shape of an arrowhead and Mia is the shaft.
This polar-opposite-yet-so-much-in-common thing between Queen siblings is really working for me. Ben Lewis is hysterical and he’s the perfect funny man to Katherine McNamara’s straight man err woman. They are way more fun than Oliver and Thea. I say this as someone who deeply loves the OG Queen siblings, but we never quite found our way to fun with those two.
William finally gets annoyed with Mia’s whole anti vigilante shtick. Listen, my little lemon drop love child. You are on a vigilante show. You are the offspring of vigilantes. You are going to star in a vigilante show. It’s time to get on board with vigilantism, Mia. It’s in the blood baby. Listen to your big bro.
William changed his name from Clayton to Harris. How much do you want to bet that when Arrow is all over William changes his last name to Queen? Perhaps he changes the name of his company to Queen Inc. It could be the reason we’ve seen the name Queen Inc. in The Flash’s future newspaper. 
I’m a tad disappointed a boy this bright hadn’t figured it out yet. Of course, Emerald City is a nod to Felicity’s love of the Wizard of Oz as Mia explains later, but also EMERALD = GREEN. She hung a sign out there kiddo. Pay attention.
I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the reunions in the future knowing this family has been separated for so long, but I found myself quite affected by William and Felicity’s hug. I didn’t have to live through the twenty years. They’ve been separated for a couple of episodes in terms of actual hours spent watching Arrow.  I don’t know if relieved is the right word, but as I watched Felicity and William hug I thought, “Okay. They are together now. They can at least begin rebuilding whatever damage has been done to this family.”
Being a hero is who Felicity Smoak is and selflessness requires sacrifice. She can’t shut that part of her down because she’d only be half alive. This isn’t just Oliver’s hero’s journey. It’s Felicity’s too.

Yes, Felicity is a mother, but her love for her children is not all she is. It’s okay Felicity has a purpose beyond her family because women are not just one thing. Fighting for Star City is what fuels Felicity and it is the life she chose. It’s why we love her. Felicity does what others can’t or refuse to do. It’s what makes her a hero.

William, as Felicity 2.0, chooses to help his mother stop the bombs. It is a team up worth waiting twenty years for. Not so long ago, Felicity was explaining what it was like loving a hero, the strength it requires and the sacrifice. 
Felicity had to walk in Oliver’s shoes to understand his perspective (and vice versus), which is exactly what happened with Mia in “Star City 2040.” She walked in her mother’s heroic shoes. Mia finally understands the danger, responsibility and sacrifice this life requires, which is how she finally reaches compassion. 
Maybe Oliver is dead and will be resurrected (although I really doubt the writers killed him at this point). Maybe Oliver is simply missing and cut off from his family. We may not know what happened or where he is, but we do know how this family will be reunited. Felicity told us tonight. It’s what she said to Oliver not so long ago, when they were first falling in love, and they often repeated it when whatever struggle they were facing seemed impossible.

“There’s always another way.”
... Salvation for Star City is not the eradication of crime. There will always be another Wicked Witch. So, there must always be a hero lighting the road in the dark.
The backdoor pilot just gave us a canon ship to root for without a disastrous backstory like sleeping with sisters or foster siblings hooking up. I wasn’t expecting SmoakNHawke to happen this quickly. The OTA babies falling in love is a wonderful idea the fandom cooked up and I was sure the writers would either ignore completely like most of our good ideas or let it simmer for years on end. We just went from zero to sixty with one sentence. This is a moment to rejoice.
It’s a little odd Mia’s first question wasn’t, “Hey! Who is the kid in the photo?” but given the potential canyon sized plot holes this storyline could have I’ll let it slide.
Felicity blames herself for Galaxy One and Eden Corps because she invented Archer and somehow the bad guys get their hands on it. However, I do not think Felicity is blaming herself for Oliver. There’s two different trains going at the same time. There’s Dante/Eden Corps/the Ninth Circle/Archer and there’s the promise Oliver made to the Monitor. I believe the reason Oliver is missing/presumed dead etc is because of the deal he made with the Monitor. Perhaps Archer is hindering his ability to come home to Star City, but I don’t believe it’s the reason Oliver is gone. The reason Oliver was not around to help protect Felicity and Mia from Dante/Eden Corps/the Ninth Circle/Archer is because of his promise to the Monitor. ...

tumblr_inline_popbp8ZQmA1shrb8p_500.gif
 tumblr_inline_popi09XIao1shrb8p_400.gif

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Why now is a bittersweet time to end ‘Arrow’
Mary Strickson   March 21, 2019
https://fanfest.com/2019/03/21/bittersweet-end-arrow/

It makes sense for it to be ending, even though this decision is somewhat saddening. Amell has been vocal about how hard it is to constantly travel back and forth between the filming location in Vancouver and his now-home in LA, the physical toll playing a superhero can take and his desire to spend more time with his family. Also, in my own opinion, eight seasons is a really long time for any actor to remain in one role, it is career defining but can also inhibit other opportunities and life decisions.

Besides, if the show has to end, narratively this is probably the best time. One of the biggest parts of Arrow is that it moves forward, following the character of Oliver Queen on his journey and seeing him emotionally grow. We’ve seen him move from playboy millionaire party boy to island survivor, from vigilante and murderer to hero and savior. From there he has grown from Green Arrow in the shadows to hero in politics as he becomes even more public facing as the Mayor. From working in secret and keeping his real self private, we’ve seen him grow to now revealing his secret identity publicly and to sharing his real self and true feelings publicly too. He’s gone from serial dater to marriage and devoted family man. I mean in all honesty, in terms of character development is there actually any further the writers can go with Oliver Queen?

On the other hand, the fact that Oliver is now outed as the Green Arrow, his identity has been revealed and the public is finding out more and more of the truth, makes it almost impossible to turn back the clock. We know that in the comics Green Arrow’s identity is the worst kept secret and that rebirths and blank slates can easily undo any huge reveals. In terms of the TV show, however, Arrow has always been much more serious and (dare I say it) ‘realistic’ compared with its comic counterpart. Sure, Supergirl can get away with her own sister not recognizing Kara stood before her in a cape and dress in the light of day, but Arrow has always tried to remain reasonably grounded (if sometimes mystical).
The creative team behind Arrow, including Amell, has chosen to control their own destiny, much like Oliver Queen and his deal with the Monitor. Thank you so much to everyone who bought Arrow to life, for supporting its fans and for sharing how light can overcome the darkness we can face through the characters’ journey. Whilst we are all devastated that it is ending, myself included, perhaps it should be seen as a testament for how much the actors, writers and creative team care about this show, about its fans and about its legacy.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Was Riverdale Musical Quite Fitting? Did This Is Us Have You Guessing? Why Did No One Seek Rookie? And More Qs
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Michael Ausiello, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Rebecca Iannucci, Ryan Schwartz and Charlie Mason / March 22 2019
https://tvline.com/2019/03/22/riverdale-season-3-musical-episode-heathers-tv-questions-answers/

9 | On Arrow, was Nyssa being Mia’s fighting teacher the most delightful surprise? And is Oliver’s sudden absence once wee Mia began training yet another clue that his days are numbered?

Edited by tv echo

Superhero Insider: Black Lightning ends as The Flash, Supergirl deal with new foes
CHANCELLOR AGARD and CHRISTIAN HOLUB  March 22, 2019
https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/22/superhero-insider-black-lightning-season-2-finale/

Arrow
Felicity’s alive! Team Arrow 2.0 rides again! Rene has seen the error of his ways! While Arrow’s future-set episode featured several important moments, Katrina Law’s reappearance as Nyssa al Ghul in that awesome training montage was definitely my favorite. Even though she barely had any dialogue, I just love the idea that she’s the one Felicity turned to after Oliver’s disappearance/death/whatever happened to him. Hopefully, there will be more Nyssa in the final season. —C.A.

• Love 2

‘Arrow’ 7×16, “Star City 2040”: This is a love letter addressed to Mia Smoak
Lynsey Neill   March 24, 2019
https://www.purefandom.com/2019/03/24/arrow-7x16-star-city-2040-this-is-a-love-letter-addressed-to-mia-smoak/

Dear Mia,
But I’m getting ahead of myself! We should start at the very beginning. You were born in a cabin in the woods, with your mother and father there to greet you. Their joy was infectious, and I cried along with them when you fit perfectly in Felicity’s arms.

It’s safe to say that my general disposition watching this episode was a mix of sunshine soaked tears to follow with a grumbling need of a pint of mint chip ice cream. So basically, I was A LOT to deal with.

But I can’t help it, Mia! It’s you! You’re Oliver and Felicity all in one bundle. You look like their daughter, you act like their daughter, and we get to see it! You are a rare and marvelous gift.
But alas, your mother is Overwatch and your father is the Green Arrow. But even though these heroes have since been vilified by Star City, they are by definition still heroes. So while raising you, running a multibillion dollar corporation, keeping you safe, checking in on William, she’s also looking over Star City.
There is still so much to talk about, Mia. But I’m inclined to give you some bullet points:

• SmoakNHawke is your ship name with Connor. I thought you should know because you guys will get married and have OTA babies.
  • I love how your relationship with William is developing into a genuine love and friendship.
  • Did someone say spinoff?

No matter how the story unfolds, Mia, I will carry you with me. You’re ingrained in my heart just like Olicity and OTA. You are my child, too. And you got a whole fandom to back you up.

Love,

Your very vocal admirers at PureFandom.com

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Arrow - Star City 2040 - Review
Posted by Lisa Macklem at March 25, 2019 
https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/03/arrow-star-city-2040-review.html

Arrow “Star City 2010” was written by the team of Beth Schwartz and Oscar Balderrama and was directed by James Bamford. I don’t know about you, but I signed on to watch a show about Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) as the Green Arrow. This episode was as uninteresting as I thought it was going to be because it was not the Arrow that I fell in love with, and I’m tired of having characters shoved down my throat. This entire future plotline is annoying and nonsensical. And how they are actually going to join this up to the current storyline is opaque to me. According to their own timeline, in less than nine months, Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) will have gone into hiding in a cabin in the woods. After the birth of Mia, Oliver is simply gone. Because, yeah. Family means nothing to him.

So many stupid things in this episode, but the thing I like the very least about the future storyline? Mia (Katherine McNamara). A sulky, spoiled, narcissistic, brat. I can barely stand to look at her on screen. Why is she shooting arrows in her house? And that’s how she just happens to find a secret room?
Of course, Felicity isn’t dead. I did like her trying to tell Mia that being a hero means choosing other people’s safety above your own and that being a hero is her purpose. I have a real problem with kids who refuse to acknowledge that their parents are people too who have dreams and desires that they deserve to see come to fruition – parents don’t just live to serve their kids, Mia…. I did like that Hawke at least was proud of his parents – and called Mia on being a brat and tells her that kids of superheroes have to be prepared to share them for the good of the world.

I will admit that of all the new characters, I do quite like Ben Lewis as adult William. Andrea Sixtos is also good as the adult Zoe. Will has already forgiven Felicity – and doesn’t he have more to sulk about given that he was abandoned? I also liked how he distracted Dale in their meeting by flirting with him. William is also a much better smart-companion for Felicity – I did enjoy them working together.
Given that the episode ended with a crisis – Felicity having to go after Galaxy One and Rene still in deep with Dale, it seems likely that we will be forced to watch more of this dreadful storyline. I really, really hope that the show finds a way to course correct and that the final 10 episodes of this series actually focus on the star of the series – Stephen Amell. And btw, Felicity? Mia is NOTHING like her selfless, hero father. He’s the one I want to watch.

Edited by tv echo

Discussion by three U.K./Scotland.-based podcast guys (Craig, Andrew, Chris - I might have confused their voices below), who are big Arrow fans, about the end of Arrow...

Kneel Before Pod – Like an Arrow in the Wind (111)
Mar 8, 2019 | Posted by Kneel Before Blog
https://kneelbeforeblog.co.uk/podcasts/like-an-arrow-in-the-wind/

-- SA's video announcement about end of Arrow: Craig was "visibly moved" while watching this video. Chris is a "bit sad" about the announcement but not surprised, and, "if they have a solid plan" for the final, 10-episode season, then he'll be alright with it. Andrew was disappointed by the news, but thought that the end was inevitable because "Oliver Queen is such a physically demanding role" and, "even though Stephen Amell is insanely athletic, he's not getting younger." At some point, he won't be able to "bring the physicality" that's required for the role. 

-- Craig added that, "at the moment, it's the strongest of the Arrowverse shows. It's had its ups and downs, but what show hasn't?" Craig noted that SA is 37 years old now and now has a family, which he didn't when he started the show so many years ago. Craig also said that "every fan should be grateful" for the 8 years.

-- The podcast guys thought that the show might have tried different angles for continuing Arrow without Oliver, like making Diggle the Green Arrow, but ultimately decided that the show couldn't continue without Oliver and decided to wrap it up if SA wasn't continuing as Oliver. Craig noted that 7-8 years is a "long time" for a TV show.

-- Craig wondered if this was the start of the Arrowverse winding down and recalled reading a rumor that Legends was also ending next year. Andrew said that he would be surprised if that was the case and said that Legends is a "special case" because it's populated by characters who don't otherwise fit in the Arrowverse. However, Chris noted the expense of Legends versus its ratings.

-- Craig: "The main difference between Arrow and The Flash for me - well, there's a bunch of differences, but the main one is... Arrow changes up the status quo all the time. You know, there is always a version of their original status quo because that's why you watch the show, right? You like these characters and the way they interact... You always come back to that baseline of, you will have a version of Team Arrow infiltrating a giant warehouse in order to fight some guys. And you'll have Felicity on the computer. And you'll have different people in different positions throughout that. But that core kind of thing, you know, that's what Arrow is. It's the action-adventure thing where they, as a team, infiltrate somewhere... They retain that, but it's also changed so much, whereas The Flash doesn't. The Flash has retained the same, tired status quo for five years. So, in theory, it could perpetuate forever, where they just have this glut of season after season of main villain introduced in first episode, main villain makes himself known in a bad way in eighth episode... It's just tiresome. Um, I know this season of The Flash got off to a strong start and now it's very tedious... I always feel, in Arrow, there's always something deeper going on, even in the lesser seasons." 

-- Craig also noted that, on Arrow, the characters are flawed but growing: "It became bigger than Oliver Queen, and it became bigger than Oliver Queen pretty quickly, you know, with the establishment of a team after his solo crusade in the first season."

-- He thought it "would be shame" if the Arrowverse was winding down, but wondered if, "without Arrow propping it up," people would start to get tired of the other shows, which "aren't as good."

-- Andrew thought that the Arrowverse would continue if they kept "adding to the roster" as the old shows dropped off, but the new shows must bring something new to the screen and not just be a copy of one of the old shows. However, it might depend on what kind of b-t-s negotiations are going on with Warner Bros. about what DC comics characters they're allowed to use.

-- The podcast guys then talked about Oliver's deal with the Monitor and how next season's crossover might fit into Arrow's final 10 episodes. They speculated that the crossover would be episode 8, but then that would leave two remaining episodes. Craig imagined COIE ending with Oliver's funeral, with Kara singing "Arrow in the Wind" (a version of "Candle on the Wind"). Chris's theory was that the remaining two episodes would deal with the grief of the remaining team members, with flashbacks to what happened that led up to that point. Andrew also thought that COIE would end with Oliver's death. He said that it could be a two-episode ender, like David Tennant's ending on Doctor Who.

-- Craig then brought up Arrow's two present-day storylines that are possibly setting up a future in the Arrowverse. One involves Emiko, who could star in a new show called Green Arrow, with a cast including some of the current Arrow cast. The other possible new show could transition to the future and star Mia, William and "the other one, John Jr. - the one that's not supposed to be there - damn you, Barry, damn you!" However, he wasn't sure that he wanted to watch a show set in such a bleak future.

-- Craig thought that they were struggling with what to do with Arrow now because the characters are set. He thought that Emiko was the most likely one to spin off, except that she's "faded into the background" and her connection to the villain may turn fans off her. However, Chris said that he just "hasn't warmed up to her." Andrew thought it was unlikely that they would spin off either Emiko ("not enough of a presence") or the future kids.

-- Andrew speculated that the future was taking place on Earth-2. But Craig pointed out that Mia was watching Oliver's documentary, which indicated they were on Earth-1. He only found the future story interesting in how it related to the present day. He didn't think the future show would be interesting enough on its own.

-- The podcast guys then speculated about Arrow characters migrating to other shows, like, Diggle going over to The Flash, Rene/Wild Dog going to Legends, Dinah being "shoved" onto Supergirl, and evil Laurel going over to Batwoman.

-- As for Felicity, Craig said, "Maybe give her her own spin-off, because the writers love her so much, I guess... The hacker spinoff. They could call it The Calculator." Andrew suggested, "Up In Smoak." Chris joked, "'Where There's Smoak, There's Fire.' That's the first episode." Craig thought it was very possible that one or more Arrow characters could end up on another Arrowverse show. But Chris thought that the other Arrow characters could show up in guest spots, but not as regular cast members of the other Arrowverse shows. It might depend on what else is available to them. They then joked about how KC will complain, "I'm only being offered Charmed, I don't want to be on Charmed!" and DR will go, "I don't want to be on Roswell, NM."

-- Final comments: Chris said that it's sad, but if Arrow goes out on a high with good ratings for the final 10 episodes, then he'll "be over the moon." Andrew thought it was good that they have plenty of time to plan the final episodes and not have to hurry to wrap up the show due to sudden cancellation. Craig said, "You have 10 episodes to craft your ending. Do it."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Everything's fine.  ☺️ I just had some family/work commitments that were going to keep me off-line for three to four days. However, I'm back sooner than I expected!

A.V. Club has not published a review for 717 (yet). I don't know if it's just late or if there won't be one at all. Their Arrow reviewer, Allison Shoemaker, was at C2E2 last weekend, so maybe she just didn't have time.

As you'll see below, media reviews of 717 are quite mixed.

• Love 4

Arrow recap: Oliver questions Emiko's loyalty
CHANCELLOR AGARD  March 25, 2019
https://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-7-episode-17/

History continues to repeat itself in interesting ways in Arrow’s penultimate season. In the flash-forward storyline, Future-Rene was involved in a very Undertaking/Genesis-like plot to blow up Star City. Now in tonight’s episode, Oliver finds himself going through what Diggle endured in season 4: realizing that your sibling is actually evil and possibly beyond the point of redemption.
Writers Sarah Tarkoff and Elizabeth Kim’s script actually does a great job of digging into both Oliver and Emiko’s perspectives on this twist. Even after Emiko betrays them, Oliver remains committed to helping her find some redemption because he thinks this will be his chance to make up for his family abandoning her when she was younger. The fact that Oliver feels responsible for his family’s sins is very Oliver. However, the thing that separates this from similar stories from the past is that Amell makes it apparent that Oliver feels more level headed than before. He’s aware of his blind-spot for family, but he also knows that if there’s a shot at redeeming Emiko, he has to take it, which is very heroic of him. Furthermore, I liked the fact that the show acknowledged that we’ve been down this road before with Diggle’s brother Andy.
... Even though Emiko rejects Oliver’s pleas to work with him again, it’s clear she’s not too far gone because she does spare Rene’s life.

• Love 2

I sometimes wonder if I'm watching the same show as some of these reviewers - I agree with his comments about Dante/Adrian Paul (which I've bolded), but I'm completely baffled by some of his other comments that I've bolded below...

ARROW SEASON 7, EPISODE 17: "INHERITANCE" REVIEW
BY JESSE SCHEEDEN    25 MAR 2019
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/26/arrow-season-7-episode-17-inheritance-review

As much as Arrow Season 7 has been a clear improvement over Season 6, the series has been in need of a good villain for a while. Ricardo Diaz and the Longbow Hunters fit the bill for a while, but they were clearly never intended to carry the show all the way into May. But now, thanks to the rise of dante and the Ninth Circle, we finally have that villain. In fact, we now have two worthy opponents for Team Arrow.

I was pleased with just how Dante-heavy this episode turned out to be. The character made a strong impression in his debut a few weeks back. Adrian Paul has just that right blend of charisma, menace and physicality to stand against Oliver Queen. This episode served as an even stronger showcase for Paul and his character. Arrowverse villains don’t come anymore suave than Dante.
But at the same time, “Inheritance” also made it clear that Emiko herself is the true villain this year. She’s the one with the truly personal grudge against Ollie, whereas Dante is just a businessman dealing with an inconvenience. There’s an interesting, unpredictable tenor to their dynamic now. Where it initially seemed like Dante was the ruthless mentor and Emiko his reluctant pupil, the closing moments of this episode make it clear the two are more like peers at this point. That scene could even be read as suggesting Emiko is the one in charge. I like the prospect of a two-pronged threat for the remainder of Season 7. It’s not something the series has really attempted since way back in Season 2, and even there it clearly became the Slade Wilson Show by the end.

The big question in all this is whether Sea Shimooka can shoulder the burden of becoming a prominent Arrowverse villain. Shimooka hasn’t been the most vibrant addition to the show’s ensemble cast by any stretch. Emiko is often played as cold to the point of being bland. But this episode does seem to indicate that’s more a problem with the writing than anything else. The flashback scenes allowed Shimooka to do more than just brood and scowl, and the result was a much more well-rounded portrayal of Emiko. Going forward, the writers need to lean into her conflicted loyalties and guilt and let us see more of that depth in the present day.
I’m also fairly ambivalent on the reveal that Emiko was the one responsible for sinking the Queen’s Gambit. This would be a fun way to tie back to the early days of the series if not for the fact that we already know Malcolm Merlyn did the deed. What’s the point of retroactively changing that story now? Should we blame Barry Allen? That seems like a good policy in general.
It was also intriguing to watch the ARCHER program come to life for the first time in this episode, knowing what we do about the future of the city and Felicity’s role in its downfall. This is one of those cases where the flash-forwards do wind up having a profound effect on the series as a whole. This subplot carries much more weight and significance knowing what we do about the future. My only concern is that the writers seem to be angling for a twist where Dante’s takeover of ARCHER is what causes Felicity’s invention to go haywire and usher in a new totalitarian era for Star City. That seems wholly unnecessary given how Felicity’s character arc has been progressing this year. Why can’t her slow slide into techno-fascism be her own fault?

Finally, things are looking grim for Laurel these days, what with her past as Black Siren coming back to haunt her in a big way. Her subplot felt a bit choppy and underdeveloped, but hopefully the payoff in next week’s episode will be strong. There’s a real tragedy in the idea that this Laurel has been doing her best to honor the memory of Earth-1’s Laurel, only to wind up destroying her good name instead.

Edited by tv echo
4 minutes ago, tv echo said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/26/arrow-season-7-episode-17-inheritance-review

There’s a real tragedy in the idea that this Laurel has been doing her best to honor the memory of Earth-1’s Laurel, only to wind up destroying her good name instead.

Uh, what? Nothing that we've seen from E2 Laurel suggests she wants to "honor the memory of Earth-1's Laurel" — and I don't blame her for that at all. 

I wouldn't care about another Earth's version of myself, especially if I had never met her. Honestly, I'd probably be motivated to be as different from another version of myself as possible, especially if people were trying to make me be her, like Lance was doing to this Laurel last season. 

Really, fans of E1 Laurel should be more upset about what E2 Laurel's past actions are now doing to E1 Laurel's name than coming up with nonsense like this.

• Love 3

Arrow season 7, episode 17 review: Inheritance
by Scott Brown March 26, 2019
https://bamsmackpow.com/2019/03/26/arrow-season-7-episode-17-review/

Really the whole reason for this episode’s plot is the reveal that Emiko is not the good Samaritan that she seemed to be. This episode does as great job of showing how much Oliver has grown because he no longer has that blind spot for family that he used to. He’s still the stubborn Oliver that he’s always been, but he is now willing to listen to those around him now.

As for Emiko, it’s an interesting play to make her a part of The Ninth Circle from the get. In the comics, she’s playing a double agent to protect Oliver, and she’s always been a hero. But here, that is much more simplified, which makes sense for this version of the character. Also, the use of flashbacks in this episode harken back to season one of Arrow, essentially showing Emiko’s origin story. It wasn’t needed, but it was nice to see anyway. This episode dabbles in the shades of gray that a story like this needs, and it does it really well. On a side note, it’s also pretty cool to see Emiko in her comic book accurate colors at last.
By showing her struggles and having Dinah act as her foil, Laurel is actually given some really solid character moments that have seemingly eluded her during this season, so it’s good to actually see her given the chance to shine in this episode.

6 hours ago, tv echo said:

I sometimes wonder if I'm watching the same show as some of these reviewers - I agree with his comments about Dante/Adrian Paul (which I've bolded), but I'm completely baffled by some of his other comments that I've bolded below...

That scene could even be read as suggesting Emiko is the one in charge

There's no "suggested" lol.  She IS the one in charge.  They flat out said she's the leader.  Is a woman being in charge of a man like AP so impossible to believe?  Lol.  

I’m also fairly ambivalent on the reveal that Emiko was the one responsible for sinking the Queen’s Gambit

I'm confused why this popped up so much.  Malcolm's name is right there on the invoice.  (Typing that made me laugh.  Invoice, hahaahahahah)

. My only concern is that the writers seem to be angling for a twist where Dante’s takeover of ARCHER is what causes Felicity’s invention to go haywire and usher in a new totalitarian era for Star City. That seems wholly unnecessary given how Felicity’s character arc has been progressing this year. Why can’t her slow slide into techno-fascism be her own fault?

He just can't seem to let go of the idea of Felicity going evil.  She was never evil.  Dinah is just a gullible idiot.  

By showing her struggles and having Dinah act as her foil, Laurel is actually given some really solid character moments that have seemingly eluded her during this season, so it’s good to actually see her given the chance to shine in this episode.

I think I missed seeing those.  She was pretty much her same defensive and angry one note she often is when not around Felicity.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

ARROW 7.17 Review “Inheritance”
By AMELIA EMBERWING   Mar. 26, 2019
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/03/26/arrow-7.17-review-inheritance

There’s a word for when a character you’ve inexplicably hated from the start turns out to be the big bad. It’s called vindication, boys and girls, and hell yeah I felt it. What’s wrong with Emiko? Ostensibly nothing. But there’s something about the character that’s never sat right, and now we know it’s because she was a big fat lying liar! Now, my little victory dance aside, there’s some stuff to dig about the reveal of Emiko not only being a part of The Ninth Circle, but running it.

First and foremost, “Inheritance” shows off Emiko’s smarts from start to finish. First when she impresses her father (and is spurned in favor of then-useless baby Oliver), later when she outwits the entirety of Team Arrow, and finally when she sparks the apparent downfall of Laurel. Her character isn’t just a ball of anger anymore. This week’s reveal gave her some depth, which is great! But a big reveal doesn’t hit home when the character before the flip had no personality. “Good” Emiko might as well have had STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER tattooed on her forehead.
The drag about all of the exposition in “Inheritance” is that none of it really says anything. And sacrificing the infinitely more interesting fast forwards for flashbacks was criminal. Give us more of the Arrowverse’s Teen Titans! “Show, don’t tell” is an important rule, but if what you’re showing is the same thing you just had your character do a monologue about, one of those two things is wasting time.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Apparently the large type on the Malcolm Merlyn invoice at the end of 717 was not big enough...

Arrow Rewrites Its Own History With Shocking Emiko Revelation
by Meagan Damore – on Mar 25, 2019
https://www.cbr.com/arrow-emiko-queen-destroy-queens-gambit/

Arrow just rewrote its own history. In "Inheritance," the latest episode, a flashback revealed Emiko was the one who sabotaged the Queen's Gambit, killing her father Robert and sending Oliver down the path that would lead him to become Green Arrow.
Devastated, Emiko opened Dante's gift. In it, she discovered the plans to the Queen's Gambit, the boat which Robert had told her he would be taking a trip on. The episode closed with a shot of Emiko burning the plans as a news story announcing her father's death played in the background, suggesting she was the one who sabotaged the ship.

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 1

'ARROW’ 7×17 REVIEW: ‘INHERITANCE’ 
ALYSSA BARBIERI  MARCH 26, 2019
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-7x17-review-inheritance/

To say I was underwhelmed by Arrow’s follow-up to an epic all-future episode the previous week would be an understatement. But that’s exactly what happened with “Inheritance,” the final episode before Arrow’s final mini-hiatus of this season. You’d think it would pack a little more punch. Even the reveal at the end — involving Emiko and the Queen’s Gambit — didn’t do it for me.

While Arrow is trying to drive the whole family focus home, the Emiko Queen storyline continues to miss the mark. It lacks the emotion that we once got with Thea Queen, and yes, I’m comparing them. As we well know, Arrow is good at recycling storylines — usually for the worse. Well, let’s look at the bright side: at least OTA is thriving. All is well.
Felicity Smoak-Queen is a badass. But you already knew that. Getting to watch this superwoman balancing being Overwatch and launching her company and being a wife all while she’s pregnant was just phenomenal to watch. Obviously, this Smoak Technologies storyline is one that I’ve been clamoring for forever. A chance for Felicity to get to start her own company. And by herself. Arrow tried to force Curtis into the picture because it appeared that they ran out of storylines for him, by himself. Felicity has never needed Curtis or anyone else to do what she does. She’s a frickin genius. So when Arrow sent Curtis packing and opened the door for Felicity to start Smoak Tech, it was like the Arrowverse gods opened their arms to embrace me.
One of the fatal flaws of the Arrowverse as a whole is the lack of female friendships, as evidenced across the board of shows. And when we do get a nice female friendship, it’s typically ignored or forgotten. This season we’ve gotten some Felicity and Laurel friendship, which shockingly I’ve enjoyed, and I was more than thrilled with Alena’s return. Not only that, but Arrow remembered that Felicity promised to involve her when she started her own company. And here we are. Here’s the thing, not all characters need to be main characters. Alena is a perfect example. I don’t need this show to make her a series regular. But I would like for this show to have her recurring and give us those moments of friendship between her and Felicity. I just need more female friendships in general, please!
If there’s been one thing I’ve been more than thrilled about in these past few episodes it’s that Arrow has remembered that Oliver and Diggle know each other. They even have a relationship. And they’re really good together. Imagine that! I was feeling nostalgic watching Diggle be his Yoda self and advise Oliver in how to handle this whole Emiko situation. Being reminded of just how well Diggle knows Oliver. Diggle making the connection between him and Andy and warning Oliver to be careful because of his blindspot for family. Besides, any moment where Oliver and Diggle can talk — just themselves — is something that I will gladly watch all day.
Back when Emiko Queen was introduced in the midseason finale, I promised I’d give her a chance. If the show could do right by her character in a way that didn’t feel like it was overcompensating for the lack of Thea, then perhaps this would feel fresh. But at this point, I’ve seen enough of her character to have enough. Emiko is just blah. Boring. I don’t care. And at this point, I feel like this show is repeatedly forcing her down my throat. Multiple episodes focused on her, when we haven’t even had episodes focused on integral main characters. Not to mention that Emiko is a reminder that we don’t have Thea anymore. Thea, Oliver’s sister, who this show wasted because they ran out of story. Emiko is a reminder that we could have Thea. But we don’t. Le sigh.
Arrow is no stranger to recycling storylines. The latest? A daughter wronged by her estranged father storyline, which feels redundant and lacks the emotion of the original storyline. Obviously, I’m talking about Thea and Malcolm, which while not perfect in its execution felt much more powerful than this storyline with Emiko and Robert. And a large part of that has to do with the fact that we had an established bond with Thea. We cared about her. We knew her. We even knew Malcolm, to a degree. And that made that storyline work. But this whole Emiko/Robert thing just lacks originality and emotion, in terms of the show. I know that this is Arrow pulling from the comics, but you also have to pay attention to storylines you’ve already executed in the past so you’re not recycling. But then again, Arrow has never really been good at that.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

Arrow Season 7 Episode 17 Review – ‘Inheritance’
MARCH 26, 2019 BY JESSIE ROBERTSON 
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2019/03/arrow-season-7-episode-17-review-inheritance/

This episode was really all about Emiko. We see her skill (sparring early on with Oliver), her speed (slicing up Laurel’s arm with a well placed arrow when she was being followed), her deception (turning on Oliver inside his own HQ) and much, much more. Her role has been silent bad ass so far; not a huge act to follow. But, now that we know who Dante is, we start seeing more color come into this black and white character. We see a series of flashbacks that paint a broader picture, starting with her as a young girl, running messages for Frank Bertinelli (Remember season 1? Father of the Huntress?); when Dante impresses her with his knife throwing skills and he with her for stealing his watch, a bond forms. More and more comes to light, including a cameo from Queen sr. (Jamey Sheridan, looking much older now) where we see they do have a bit of a relationship as Emiko tries to include herself into his business, but he swiftly turns her down, saying he can’t approve her ideas because Oliver will be the boss one day soon. And we wonder where he gets his secret keeping!
There’s a really weak side story with Laurel fighting with Dinah, as they discuss that she coerced a confession out of someone and has murdered people; her point of view is she’s played by the rules just to appease her. Hardly! But, this does play into Emiko’s two killer moments at the end; one, being someone who is pushing Laurel back to her evil roots. Then, our last scene (which I predicted about 20 minutes earlier after seeing her Father) with her burning up plans where she helped Merlyn plant explosives on the Queen’s Gambit all those years ago (and didn’t look like she aged a day since!). I like the change to the mythos: it doesn’t alter anything too much and it fits in very nicely, adding to her character.

Fight scenes were really weak this week except for Oliver looking like The Flash shooting arrows at those drones in 16X speed!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Arrow Episode Guide: Season 7, Episode 17 - Inheritance
Starman   March 26, 2019
http://www.mygeekygeekyways.com/2019/03/arrow-episode-guide-season-7-episode-17.html

While it is certainly the most in character Black Siren has been in the last few episodes of Season 7, her sudden temper tantrums while interviewing suspects and threatening to kill people while trying to secure confessions has come out of nowhere. (Perhaps she's feeling new pressure now that Mayor Pollard isn't as focused on trying to catch Star City's vigilantes?)
The fight between Emiko and Oliver in the bunker is well blocked.
Dante's organization is finally confirmed to be called the Ninth Circle. First appearing in Green Arrow: Rebirth #1, the Ninth Circle are a sinister financial cabal with connections to numerous captains of industry and illegal enterprises. Deep believers in lasszie-faire capitalism, the Ninth Circle will back any business that can turn a profit, even if it involves unsavory things like slavery, terrorism or illegal medical experiments.

The Arrowverse version of the Ninth Circle seems to be cut from the same cloth as the organization in the comics. The key difference so far is that the Arrowverse version is not as flamboyant in their costuming, with their henchmen preferring black robes, hoods and masks to scarred, burned flesh. It remains to be seen if the leadership of the group meet in formal robes and masks, ala Eyes Wide Shut.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

It was also intriguing to watch the ARCHER program come to life for the first time in this episode, knowing what we do about the future of the city and Felicity’s role in its downfall. This is one of those cases where the flash-forwards do wind up having a profound effect on the series as a whole. This subplot carries much more weight and significance knowing what we do about the future. My only concern is that the writers seem to be angling for a twist where Dante’s takeover of ARCHER is what causes Felicity’s invention to go haywire and usher in a new totalitarian era for Star City. That seems wholly unnecessary given how Felicity’s character arc has been progressing this year. Why can’t her slow slide into techno-fascism be her own fault?

Uh, what? Of course we see that she only has good intentions for Archer and evil people will start using tech like this for their own nefarious purposes that it wasn’t initially intended for. Even though her motives were good, it seems like she does blame herself for whatever happened with the program - she even said last episode that it was “on me.”

• Love 1

Arrow: “Inheritance” Review
Posted By: Taylor Cole  on: March 25, 2019
https://thenerdstash.com/arrow-inheritance-review/

Can Emiko still find redemption later on? Knowing how these Arrowverse shows work, I would say that she will eventually be redeemed and swap sides again. But, Team Arrow is big enough as it is in my opinion. We have Spartan, Wild Dog, Black Canary, Overwatch, and the Green Arrow. The show had just trimmed some of the team over the past two seasons with Thea, Quentin, and Curtis’ exits. Putting Emiko on the Team Arrow roster now would just feel like a two steps forward, one step back situation. Emiko would have also just felt like a stand-in for Thea (She even had a similar suit this week!). As a character, Emiko needed something fresh to work with. She has had that Oliver-like personality since her reveal in “Unmasked”. With Emiko as the leader of the Ninth Circle, it gives us a new perspective on her character and we can finally delve into new territory.
Let’s get back to Arrow before I get too sidetracked. The reveal was fantastic and was definitely a huge reason why you see that five-star rating this week but there were other factors that contributed to it as well. Felicity’s comedy was on-point the entire episode, giving a few brief moments of relief to these tension-filled scenes. This is where I think Emily Bett Rickards shines. She has great comedic timing and her delivery is excellent. The dynamic between Diggle’s situation with Andy and Oliver’s dilemma with Emiko was great. I wasn’t a fan of Arrow season four but seeing Diggle give Oliver sound advice throughout the episode felt like a solid payoff for a disappointing arc that happened years ago. Dig has been through this before and he saw the writing on the wall before anyone else. He just doesn’t want Oliver to have the same outcome he did.
The Laurel stuff may be my one negative this week. And, I’m even not sure it was “bad”. It’s just strange. We’ve seen her character all season attempting to redeem herself and become a better person. So, when someone accuses Laurel of breaking the law or betraying the team, we as the audience know that Laurel didn’t do either of those things. But, the dialogue seems to suggest that we should doubt Laurel’s redemption. I’ll let it slide though because I did like how it all ended. Laurel is about to be outed as a “fraud” and she may have to come clean about some of the horrible things she’s done in the past. It’ll be intriguing to see how Arrow handles this and if she will be able to help take down the Ninth Circle later this season.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow, ‘Inheritance’: Emiko’s Backstory Has More Twists Than a Mountain Road, Which Ties Oliver in Knots
BY CRAIG WACK · MARCH 26, 2019
http://oohlo.com/2019/03/26/arrow-inheritance-emikos-backstory-has-more-twists-than-a-mountain-road-which-ties-oliver-in-knots/

Sex and the Olicity: Not a ton of Ollie-Felicity interaction here, because Felicity is too busy following the science of the Archer system. She hires her hacker buddy from Helix to help refine the system. Felicity is so consumed by the potential good Archer can do to locate missing people and such that she ignores all the civil rights violating, privacy-invading potential side effects, which are not lost on Emiko.
Last impressions: The revelations about Emiko were shocking. and also had a strong retcon flavor to them. It would be one thing if we had heard of a group called the Ninth Circle operating in the world before this season. Now, Emiko is at the head of this secret organization, has been operating in one form or another all along, and is at least partially responsible for setting Oliver down the vigilante path. It’s a big pill to swallow, but actually, not an unfamiliar one for comic book fans. We also received another heaping helping of Oliver trying to redeem himself and his father for their past sins. Oliver spends most of the episode trying to help Emiko despite everyone, Emiko included, telling him she’s way past the point of redemption. This round had all the merits and flaws that come with a setup episode. We know who the players are and the roles they are in, so we’re ready for the home stretch of the season.

Edited by tv echo

TV Review: ‘Arrow: Inheritance’
POSTED MARCH 26TH, 2019 BY DARRYL JASPER
https://sciencefiction.com/2019/03/26/tv-review-arrow-inheritance/

One decision. Sometimes, that’s all it takes to tear down a solidly crafted narrative, causing it to crumble into a disappointing pile of incredulity. While “Inheritance” doesn’t quite go that far, it narrowly misses from puncturing the once-captivating arc of Emiko Queen, replacing it with an eye-rolling and cringe-inducing twist that, for the moment, lessens much of what has come before it.
When we discovered Emiko’s involvement with Dante, it was a surprising twist, but not disappointing. Sure, her involvement with the mysterious bad-ass suggested an even deeper backstory for Emiko’s character, “Inheritance” put some of the reasoning behind her relationship with Dante in focus. Taking Emiko under his wing, it appeared as if Dante was the man who trained her, taught her to protect herself. And now, in the present, he was that invisible threat, a man whose abilities were only superseded by his cunning and underworld connections. Built up by whispers and then his first onscreen appearance to be a most formidable foe, my anticipation to learn more of Dante was not dissimilar to that of the Mandarin’s role in Iron Man 3. It’s unfortunate that like that ‘Mandarin’, Dante is nothing more than a foot soldier, a pawn for the true villain…Arrow’s own Aldrich Killian…Emiko Queen.

Not only do we learn that Dante is a part of this Ninth Circle secret society—one whose aims are quite similar to the League of Assassins (or Shadows as so named in Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy) but that centuries-old organization is run by none other than Emiko Queen. Oh, and that’s not to mention the little retcon nugget that Emiko was the one behind the Queen’s Gambit accident. So, not only did she kill her father, she’s the indirect cause behind Oliver become the man who he is today.

While, if things had progressed differently, that could have been quite a nice reveal but, as the season has played out, this “twist” comes off as nothing more as gotcha swerve, both unbelievable and unnecessary. Yes, there are still a handful of episodes left that could possibly redeem what, in my opinion, is a very unwise decision and could right the ship, so to speak, but as it stands now, the sympathetic character they had created earlier on with Emiko Queen has been wiped from the board. At this moment, she’s nothing more than an antagonist whose motives are no different than a hundred other baddies that have graced the small screen.
Despite the Emiko reveal being an utter disappointment, “Inheritance” had some very good moments. From Dinah’s festering distrust in Laurel to the latter’s own fight to stay on the right side of the law (and Felicity defending her to the team), redemption plays a large part into the events that play out. Even knowing Emiko’s duplicity, Oliver wants to save his sister. Diggle understands this, having found himself in the same situation with his brother Andy years ago. Thoughts on who can be redeemed and how far we should go—how much we should sacrifice—in order to allow someone to find their way back a strong narrative throughline. Each situation is different but, like Oliver, we have to ask the hard question: what are we willing to sacrifice and, in the end, is it worth it if others around us pay the price?
Back to Dante; the fact that they make him nothing more than a lackey to Emiko is such a disservice to what they had built up. Again, the Mandarin comparisons are apt in my book and though Dante wasn’t totally neutered the way Shane Black did the Mandarin, it’s nonetheless disappointing. It could be my own expectations getting in the way, true, but to create this mysterious character only to have someone half his age, someone he trained, be the firing pin behind this newly minted secret society is a curious (and, at this time, bad) decision.

Edited by tv echo

EMIKO, DANTE AND THE NINTH CIRCLE ALIGN IN A SHOCKING NEW ARROW
Trent Moore   March 25, 2019
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/emiko-dante-and-the-ninth-circle-align-in-a-shocking-new-arrow

The big reveal, though, wasn’t that Emiko was bad — it’s that she’s actually in charge of this mysterious, nefarious group. We learn through flashback that Emiko was basically raised and trained by Dante (after spending her youth as a delivery girl for the Bertinelli crime family, nice throwback there). Dante brings her into the Ninth Circle, and somehow she’s risen up the ranks to actually run the organization. As comic fans are likely aware, the Ninth Circle is a fairly recent addition to the Green Arrow comic canon, introduced in 2016’s Green Arrow Rebirth. The group is no joke, and wields enormous power. In the comics, they literally melt off the skin of some of their followers, though no word on if the live action version will follow suit here.

At this point, it’s hard to tell exactly how much of Emiko’s story is true or red herring. She spares Rene after having a clean shot to kill him, so she’s obviously at least somewhat conflicted. But, she’s ice cold with Oliver and actually orders her lackeys to kill him — and torches Laurel’s career by surfacing an old photo of her and Diaz, essentially turning her into a fugitive. This being Arrow, I’m still inclined to believe Emiko will find some redemption before this is all said and done. Just a gut feeling.

In the B-story this week, Felicity continues to develop the Archer security system that will keep the rich in power a few decades down the line in Star City circa 2040s. Felicity recruits her old pal Alena to help her with the project, making her the CTO of the upstart Smoak Tech. It’s clear Felicity develops this from a perspective of trying to help the world, but knowing how it all ends up, you can’t help but feel for her naïveté when it comes to this powerful technology.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Review: Inheritance (Season 7 Episode 17)
March 26, 2019  Brianna Martinez
https://www.telltaletv.com/2019/03/arrow-review-inheritance-season-7-episode-17/

A flash-forward-less episode takes out the stress of the uncertain future, while adding a brilliant reveal and a twist that helps Arrow enter the mini-hiatus with more information about who the real villain is, an idea of what Oliver, Felicity, Diggle, and the team will be reckoning with and a shocking reveal that ties the present and the future to the past in an exciting way.
Finding out that it’s Emiko in charge of the super covert organization and not Dante changes things immeasurably when taking into consideration her entire motivation for her involvement in the Ninth Circle – to seek retribution against anyone with the Queen name.
With that knowledge, new questions about Archer and what we’ve seen in 2040 emerge and who is responsible for sending Oliver and Felicity into hiding. Is Emiko still the one in charge in the future?
Paired with Emiko’s flashbacks where we trace the source of her hatred of anyone attached to the Queen name, “Inheritance” clears things up a bit about why exactly Mia doesn’t share a last name with her father, why William is a Harris, and why they are all separated and in hiding.
It’s always the ones that play the long game that leave an impression, and though we’ve just seen Emiko’s villainous reveal, it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.
-Robert Queen is the worst, and there’s something about learning that he is far more terrible that makes me feel worse about Oliver and every child connected to Robert Queen.

-Oliver and Felicity working out in the field together through comms will never get old. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, tv echo said:

We’ve seen her character all season attempting to redeem herself and become a better person. So, when someone accuses Laurel of breaking the law or betraying the team, we as the audience know that Laurel didn’t do either of those things. But, the dialogue seems to suggest that we should doubt Laurel’s redemption

There's no of course we know Laurel is innocent.  It's of course we doubt Laurel's redemption.  She just walked into a cush set up taking over Laurel's life with no consequences.  She didn't earn anything and has expressed no remorse over killing innocents.  And twice we've seen someone stop her from killing someone.  Sigh

• Love 6

Honestly, I think this is a horrible idea (and I'm a big Felicity fan)...

Will The CW Launch a Felicity Spinoff Show After Arrow Ends?
By NICOLE DRUM - March 27, 2019
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/03/26/arrow-felicity-spinoff-series-the-cw/

Felicity, played by Emily Bett Rickards, has been a fan-favorite since Arrow's first season. Initially planned for a one episode appearance on the show, the character was upped to recurring status for the first season and then has been a series regular ever since. While the character has been appreciated by fans for her own extraordinary technological skills and quirky personality, she's also become beloved as Oliver Queen's (Stephen Amell) love interest. The pair eventually married in Season 6 with Felicity stepping up as stepmother to Oliver's son, William and, in recent episodes of Season 7, it's been revealed that they go on to have a child together -- Mia.

But Felicity's relationship with Oliver is only one facet of the character and its Felicity outside of the "Olicity" pairing that has some wondering if The CW could launch a Felicity-centered spinoff after Arrow ends. Now, to be fair, there has been no real indication that such a series is even being considered and after eight years in the role, it's entirely possible that Rickards -- as well as other members of the show's cast -- may be looking forward to an opportunity to pursue other projects. However, if a Felicity show were to even be a remote consideration, Arrow's Season 7 has certainly set the groundwork.

In tonight's episode, "Inheritance", the series finally made good on something that has long been teased to be part of Felicity's future -- Smoak Technologies. Audiences have seen hints about the corporation a number of times over the years, but tonight its creation was definitively set. Having created the Archer program, Felicity reached out to her friend Alena (formerly of the hacktivist group Helix) to work for her as Chief Technology Officer of the company, as growing Archer is enough that Felicity needs the help.

We know that the company exists in the future, too. "Star City 2040" makes references to Felicity running the company nearly twenty years in the future, though after her apparent death the company was shown to be in ruins and no longer operating. As it was revealed that Felicity was, in fact, alive having only become the criminal "The Calculator" as a way to attempt to stop the destruction of Star City in a bombing as well as prevent her creation, Archer, from being misused on a global scale. It's also revealed that, in the years between 2019 and 2040, Felicity has continued her heroics as Overwatch in a very behind-the-scenes way, something that when Mia finds out, prompts her to leave home for Star City herself.

With so many things clearly having happened between the present and "Star City 2040" and with Oliver apparently not in the picture -- possibly because he dies in "Crisis on Infinite Earths" -- if The CW were to consider a Felicity spinoff, there's plenty of material to work with. Plenty of material, that is, provided the show doesn't explore some of that in the remainder of Season 7 and in the final 10 episodes that comprise Season 8.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Oh, and that’s not to mention the little retcon nugget that Emiko was the one behind the Queen’s Gambit accident. So, not only did she kill her father, she’s the indirect cause behind Oliver become the man who he is today.

Another reviewer getting it wrong.  They also were really upset IMO that Emiko was higher up than Dante, a MAN, twice her age, lol.  

5 minutes ago, tv echo said:

wondering if The CW could launch a Felicity-centered spinoff after Arrow ends.

That would be a no from me too.  Honestly, given some of the articles that have come out of that site, I'm assuming this person is disingenuous in their suggestion and instead really just likes the idea of separating Felicity from Oliver and Green Arrow even if it means giving her a second life on TV.  

• Love 1

I don't even understand how a Felicity spin-off would work. If it's a spin-off set in between now and 2040, she apparently spent those years mostly in hiding so nothing terribly interesting would happen. Also, regardless of what happened to Oliver, in 20 years, she's still wearing her wedding ring and has been raising their secret child so romance is probably off the table which seems unlikely to fly on the CW. And if it's set in 2040, it simply makes more sense to center a spin-off on the next generation than someone who would have to spend hours in make-up every week to play someone in hr early fifties which also seems unlikely to fly for a CW central character.

• Love 1

I think they just tossed off the idea of a Felicity spin-off as clickbait. It wouldn't work unless they turn the show into a comic book version of Charlie's Angels.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:36 PM, BkWurm1 said:

Another reviewer getting it wrong.  They also were really upset IMO that Emiko was higher up than Dante, a MAN, twice her age, lol. 

🤩😁😀😁

• Love 1

I actually have a problem with Emiko being higher up than Dante in the Ninth Circle if it implies that she somehow defeated him in one-on-one combat, just like I had a problem with Oliver defeating Ra's al Ghul in one-on-one combat in S3 (or Laurel being able to fight League assassins).

Dante, like Ra's, has many more years of fighting experience than his protege. It only makes sense if Emiko became head of the Ninth Circle for some reason that we don't know yet (like, she was specifically groomed by Dante to take over the Ninth Circle).

However, I suppose it is possible that, if Dante trained Emiko from age 11 or 12, she became so good that she is now able to beat him in a fight, then that is bad news for Oliver. In his one fight with Dante, iirc, Dante stopped his arrow with two short knives and then almost killed Oliver.

I just want Emiko's ascension to the top of the Ninth Circle to be believable and not just a 'gotcha' twist.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Interesting article (part of it relates to a discussion on page 75 of the Ratings thread)...

The truth about why Arrow is ending
Michileen Martin  March 28, 2019
https://www.looper.com/148987/the-truth-about-why-arrow-is-ending/

Shrinking viewership
A couple days after the announcement that Arrow would end, ScreenRant reported that while the show continued to lose viewers in 2019, things weren't bleak enough for ratings alone to put Arrow on the chopping block. In fact, the site reported that statistics they received from the data analytics firm Parrot Analytics showed Arrow as the second most successful of CW's four Arrowverse series at the time of its cancellation, coming behind The Flash. So while Arrow's dropping numbers may have contributed to its end, you would assume that Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow would also be cut if low ratings were the biggest factor.

Too many heroes
However, Arrow may be the victim of a very specific type of superhero fatigue: CW superhero fatigue. Arrow shares a narrative with The Flash, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow. While it's not a part of the Arrowverse, CW has Black Lightning, it will soon air Batwoman, and there continue to be rumblings about Superman getting his own CW entry.

The CW's Arrowverse was already a crowded place, and it's getting more crowded every year. One of the factors of the decision to end Arrow may be that there simply isn't enough room for it. The timing of the cancellation makes it seem more likely considering the coming of Batwoman. Of all the Arrowverse series, Arrow has usually been the grittier of the bunch. With Batwoman featuring a Batman spinoff in Gotham City, it may need to claim the title of the grittiest Arrowverse show in order to thrive
Crisis
Arrow's eighth and final season will be an abbreviated one: 10 episodes. So the final episode of Arrow will air roughly around the same time as its 2018 "Elseworlds" episode; Arrow's "Elseworlds, Part 2" was the seventh season's ninth episode. Considering the timing, it seems like a good bet that whatever narrative choices are made to wrap up the story of Oliver Queen — including, possibly, giving him a heroic death — they'll have a whole lot to do with the events of "Crisis."

Repetition and redundancy and also repetition
Oliver Queen has walked over the same ground again and again, literally and figuratively. We've not only seen hours and hours of flashbacks to the Island of Lian Yu where he was "stranded" (but managed to leave and travel to, like, three different continents only to come back again and pretend he never left at all), we've seen Queen and his Team Arrow buddies go back to the island in the present so often that it's a little confusing why they don't just build a summer home there with air shuttle service. We've seen Oliver and his comrades suffer physical and/or mental trauma and be miraculously healed, we've seen them die and come back, and we've seen them all say yes and subsequently no and shortly afterward yes and once more no to the question of whether or not they want to dress funny and dropkick criminals, too.

But worse than the repetitive plot points is the ongoing, unconvincing struggle with Queen's "darker" self which just won't let him be good, except that it totally does all the time. To believe Oliver Queen's inner struggle, he is both Hannibal Lecter and the only person who can solve the world's problems or make any kind of meaningful decisions. It's a dead horse that needs the creative team of Arrow to finally keep their hands to themselves.

Moving on
According to Stephen Amell, the biggest determining factor in the decision to end Arrow was Green Arrow himself.

Shortly after the announcement that Arrow's eighth season would be its last, Amell posted a Facebook video to let fans know what had happened. He told them that he'd approached producer Greg Berlanti at the end of Arrow's sixth season, expressing his wish for season seven to be its last. Amell said he'd, "always been a fan of television shows that not only don't overstay their welcome, but end in a manner that really packs a punch."

Fittingly, considering his character has grown to be much more of a family man over the years — Oliver Queen is married, has a son and a second child on the way — Amell told viewers that the changes in his life behind the camera greatly informed his desire for Arrow to conclude, saying that, "a large part of this decision [is] because I'm now a father and a husband, [and] to say that it has been a real sea change over the past seven-plus years would be a vast understatement."
Physical demands
Arrow is clearly a physically demanding show. Most episodes feature at least a couple of complex fight sequences that include a healthy chunk of the cast, not to mention the perfectly nonviolent training scenes or the shots of Amell doing those salmon ladder pull-ups that make Felicity drool all the time. In such a physical show, accidents will and do happen. Thankfully it seems they usually aren't too serious, like Kate Cassidy belly flopping while trying to throw a punch.

But the heroes of Star City aren't getting any younger. Rick Gonzalez, who plays the hockey-mask-sporting Mad Dog, turns 40 this year and Amell is only a couple years behind him. David Ramsey, who plays Queen's stalwart ally John Diggle, aka Spartan, is inching close to 50.
Odd man out
The problem is that as the Arrowverse expanded, rather than acting as a darker contrast to the other shows, Arrow was forced to be a little more "super." The list of perfectly mundane criminals Oliver Queen wanted to stop went away, and his rogues gallery filled up with metahumans like Deathstroke (Manu Bennett) and demon-worshiping wizards like Damien Darhk (Neal McDonough). Almost everyone in Arrow's cast got domino masks and code names, but the show never strayed too far from its roots. It wanted to be super enough to exist in the same world as Central City speedsters and flying Kryptonians, but not so super that crime bosses and drug dealers couldn't still be viable threats. The result was a show that didn't know what it wanted to be.

Future imperfect
By going forward, Arrow painted itself into a corner. Unless we get some kind of time-traveling salvation (in which case any fan could rightly ask why they had to sit through the flash-forwards in the first place), everyone watching Arrow knows how the future looks for its characters, and it's not good. As Laura Hurley wrote for CinemaBlend, the flash-forwards potentially took away any reason to keep watching. They have, Hurley writes, "given us no reason to hope for anything less than something slightly less awful than the current status quo."

No other roads
Regardless of ratings or the shifting priorities of Arrow's talent, it's more than reasonable to ask what's left to do in the story of Oliver Queen if Arrow were to continue. The trajectory of Oliver Queen's life over the past seven seasons has been pretty ridiculous. He's been a vigilante, a brutal government interrogator, a made-man in the Russian mafia, and the successor for the leadership of the League of Shadows. He's been the mayor, he's been unmasked, he's died, he's been The Flash, he's been Star City's most famous convicted felon, and he's currently a mask-less employee of the Star City Police Department. Because when you get pulled over in Star City, you're going to get more than a ticket. You're going to get a nice big laugh at the expense of the guy in the green tights who pulled you over — "You were going 65 in a 35. YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY!"

Eventually — as it seems Amell realizes — you have to stop giving Oliver Queen more jobs than Barbie and just end the narrative already. Whether you love it, hate it, or anywhere in between, Arrow has left a huge footprint on the television landscape. It's helped piss off Bill Maher by filling the airwaves with live-action superheroes. It's done its job. Oliver can retire with Felicity so they can grow old together, happily, with Oliver doing salmon ladder pull-ups for his blushing bride well into their golden years.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

'Ship Shape: How Your Favorite Pairs From This Is Us, Jane, The Resident, Riverdale and Other Shows Are Faring
By Team TVLine / March 29 2019
https://tvline.com/2019/03/29/tv-romance-predictions-this-is-us-jane-the-virgin-greys-anatomy/
https://tvline.com/gallery/tv-romance-predictions-this-is-us-riverdale-greys-anatomy/#!1/inheritance-2/

1 of 23
THE COUPLE: Arrow‘s Oliver and Felicity

THE LATEST: As Ollie might put it if he were paraphrasing Paul Anka, “She’s having my babyyyyyy.” All told, the second half of Season 7 has been good for Olicity, who on top of their pending family expansion are back to working together on the SCPD-sanctioned Team Arrow.

AWWW!: The supercouple’s fans got an unexpected treat when a recent episode flashed forward to the joyous birth of she who would be named Mia. Commence training montage! 

THE FORECAST: Olicity for the time being has hit the romantic bull’s-eye, with nary a roadblock in sight. That said, Emiko’s determination to exploit Felicity’s Archer program — and Oliver’s aforementioned absence from the not-too-distant future — must give us pause.

Edited by tv echo

I actually have a problem with Emiko being higher up than Dante in the Ninth Circle if it implies that she somehow defeated him in one-on-one combat, just like I had a problem with Oliver defeating Ra's al Ghul in one-on-one combat in S3 (or Laurel being able to fight League assassins).

Dante, like Ra's, has many more years of fighting experience than his protege. It only makes sense if Emiko became head of the Ninth Circle for some reason that we don't know yet (like, she was specifically groomed by Dante to take over the Ninth Circle).

However, I suppose it is possible that, if Dante trained Emiko from age 11 or 12, she became so good that she is now able to beat him in a fight, then that is bad news for Oliver. In his one fight with Dante, iirc, Dante stopped his arrow with two short knives and then almost killed Oliver.

I just want Emiko's ascension to the top of the Ninth Circle to be believable and not just a 'gotcha' twist.

For me the fact that we don't know what is required to make one the head honcho means I have no reason to find it unlikely. 

She has been trained since 11 by someone I think it's safe to call one of the best and while he has more experience, he also is aging.  But beyond fighting skills, the Ninth Circle seems to be an business.  Ruthless, but still a business and Emiko in her scene with her dad showed she had a firm grasp on how to make a business profitable. 

So combine her brain, a vision for the "company", her fighting skill and we assume leadership ability, why not the leader?  Dante was heading toward middle age when Emiko met him, just some dude doing business out of the Glades for an international organization.  Chances are, it was Emiko's mind that propelled him out of middle management in the first place.    

Was This Is Us Missing a Bridesmaid? Is CW Schedule Maddening? Should P.D. Take on Smollett Case? And More Qs!
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Michael Ausiello, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Rebecca Iannucci and Ryan Schwartz / March 29 2019
https://tvline.com/2019/03/29/this-is-us-randall-beth-wedding-zoe-tv-questions-answers/

6 | Shouldn’t Arrow have darkened Jamey Sheridan’s hair in the new flashbacks to better match the Robert/Oliver photo used moments later in the Queen’s Gambit news coverage? Also: on top of the refurbished bunker, Felicity now also can afford turnkey office space??
tvq-arrow-robert-hair.jpg

20 | Has The CW’s scheduling as of late been no less than maddening? Arrow is new… but Flash is a rerun? And that Flash rerun leads into… a new Roswell, New Mexico? Also, a Supernatural repeat leads into the Legacies finale?

Edited by tv echo

Superhero Insider: The past complicates the present on Arrow and Supergirl
CHANCELLOR AGARD March 29, 2019 
https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/29/superhero-insider-arrow-ninth-circle-supergirl-lex-luthor-red-daughter/

Arrow
Arrow continues to pile on twist after twist, and “Inheritance” included two major ones. First, flashbacks revealed that Emiko’s Ninth Circle mentor Dante tipped her off to the bombs Malcolm Merlyn planted the Queen’s yacht. However, in a damning moment, she decided not to warn Robert Queen because he essentially rejected her as a daughter. Was this new wrinkle in the show’s inciting incident a little sweaty? Yes, but it doesn’t contradict or dramatically change the show’s history. Second: At the end of the hour, we found out that Emiko is actually the leader of the Ninth Circle, which is a far more interesting revelation because it makes any kind of redemption a lot harder (sorry, Oliver!).
This week’s crossover moments:
- On Arrow, Oliver reminisced about the time he shot The Flash’s Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) in the leg to “make a point.” (Never forget that Barry got his revenge in the most recent crossover, “Elseworlds.”)

-- Future Article Alert! Chancellor Agard started rewatching Arrow "this week" from the very beginning, because he will be "re-ranking all 180 episodes." He has a "spreadsheet."

-- Chance noted that SA has grown a lot since S1. Kyle Anderson thought that SA was "bad... actively bad" in S1 (though Chance disagreed) but that, at some point, SA "figured it out" and became "actively great" by S3 or S4; however, he wasn't sure if the writing got better or just the acting got better. Shirley Li thought it was both and that S1 was bad on multiple levels ("just tedious").  Kyle said that now SA "is really good." He especially noted that SA's performance of Oliver during his "run as mayor" was an "impressive acting job."

-- Chance also thought that SA's performance in S1 depended on who he was paired with, citing Helena Bertinelli as a good example of someone with whom SA "did great work." Shirley added that there was "history" to Oliver's relationship with Helena which made it more interesting, in contrast to Oliver's history with Laurel. Shirley remembered Laurel as "just dragging down Season 1." Kyle agreed that S1 was "hard."

-- Arrow 717: Kyle was glad to return to the present day (after the previous week's flashforward episode). Chance noted that the big "retcon" was that Emiko could've stopped the Queen's Gambit bombing but chose not to. Shirley thought that the Emiko flashbacks were "meh, at best," adding: "That was the big reveal? ... I just don't care... I'm sorry. I  don't care that she knew about the bombs on the Queen's Gambit... We've gone back to the Queen's Gambit so many times, I don't care."  Kyle was fine when he watched the episode but subsequently thought that the show has "mined" the Queen's Gambit "a lot. "However, they were all fine with the Ninth Circle reveal.

-- Speaking of S1 of Arrow again, as an aside, Kyle said that he missed Tommy and thought that he was a great character.

-- Kyle thought that Sea Shimooka seems to be fine as an actor, but needed better writing. Shirley thought that all of Emiko's scenes so far just aimed to show her being "intimidating and mysterious" and that's it.  Chance said that Emiko needs to "do stuff."

-- Chance thought that Arrow has been working more episodically this season than in the past, rather than as part of a larger arc, but now the show is finally starting to show the larger story arc that makes it more like the show we've seen in previous seasons.

Edited by tv echo