Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Though I'd suspect that she'd take both coffee and energy drinks to get her caffeine fix. Otherwise it wasn't uncommon to see her with coffee or a mug but she was never really obsessed with it, not like Chloe on Smallville or Lorelai on Gilmore Girls.  

The 2 times they showed Felicity going on a coding/computer bender she was downing Energy Drinks. That's why i always find it surprising when fic writers still act like Felicity has a Coffee IV hooked up (at least post S4).

It's not a big deal it just seems odd that writers have picked up that coffee/Chloe trait where Felicity loves coffee, needs coffee and can't live without coffee.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

With Felicity's babbling, I don't like it when she has long monologues in her head that she inadvertently says out loud. Please forgive me if I've ever written this. Have I missed this on the show? I know she says things "in the worst way," but I can't remember where her inner thoughts become outer without her realizing it. At least, not on a recurring basis. 

I cannot remember a single instance of this happening on the show. She says stuff she doesn't mean to, but she knows she saying it. It's more like she doesn't realize how what she's saying sounds until it's too late. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The only time I can think of is the "I said not noticed, right?" scene in S1, but even that's a pretty big stretch. 

Only slightly on topic, all I remember regarding Felicity and coffee is that scene in her apartment where she starts drinking coffee immediately after brushing her teeth.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by leopardprint
(edited)

I think it's in character to SOMETIMES say short slips of the tongue, saying what she's really thinking without intending to, but not long babbles.  There was something early this season as she was watching Oliver on the Salmon ladder that was along that same line of "I said not noticed, right?"  But I swear there was at least a couple other times where she followed some statement up with a "please tell me I didn't say that aloud".  Her "You're sweaty"** line in season two when Olive swung in to save her on the island always felt like her blurting out something she'd have preferred not to.  So I think the occasional slip in certain circumstances works, but it's not a regular thing.  

** Of course I love that line even more after season four started and we got confirmation that she LIKED sweaty, lol.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I finally read the final chapter of The Darkest Hour. I enjoyed it but like her last fic I felt it was a little rushed and

Spoiler

Tommy didn't get the kind of comeuppance I wanted.

I feel like it could've done with another chapter to wrap things up? IDK. It's still a fantastic fic though so that's a definite recommendation from me if you haven't read it yet.

Edited by Guest
3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Now I want them to go undercover and her alias to be Eileen.  Hey, are you taking fic requests? 

I'd write it for you hun but I don't have the ability to write canon compliant fics (too difficult to nail precise character traits)! It's a great idea though!!!!

Someone write it please?????

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'd write it for you hun but I don't have the ability to write canon compliant fics (too difficult to nail precise character traits)! It's a great idea though!!!!

Someone write it please?????

Oh, don't feel bad, it was just a passing thought.  Given this fandom though, I really wouldn't be that surprised if someone wrote something similar just from SA mentioning the song.  :D

(edited)
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Oh, don't feel bad, it was just a passing thought.  Given this fandom though, I really wouldn't be that surprised if someone wrote something similar just from SA mentioning the song.  :D

That's the beauty of this fandom! I think we'll get to a point where anything that can be written will be written!

Edited by Mellowyellow

I just finished Wanna Be Yours by Bre. It's a O/F college AU. I enjoyed it but

Spoiler

again the epilogue was kinda weird in that she jumped far ahead into the future when they're grandparents and it just didn't fit the rest of the fic? I'd rather have had an epilogue that showed them being a proper couple at college or something. I don't need fics to end with HEA in the future all the time. Sometimes they just don't call for it. IDK, maybe that's just me.

Agreed 

Spoiler

The length of the time jump was super odd. I expected a couple of years, maybe post Graduation moving into new permenent home, ending with a proposal. 

Jumping to grandparents and almost 30 years later was too much for me)

• Love 2

I was all set to recommend it and then the epilogue happened.

Spoiler

For me it wasn't even the big time jump that was the biggest issue but how she chose to portray them. Oliver and Felicity were super hot for each other in the college chapters, but what got to me more was the underlying sweetness to them, particularly Oliver, being bowled over by momentous feelings for the first time ever. The epilogue was more like, yay, they still get it on like rabbits, and I felt that wasn't the point of the fic at all.

Plus, not being enamoured with the epilogue made me nitpicky. This is 27 years later, so they're not even 50, and already they have a 4-year-old grandson? That means both they and their daughter had kids very young.  Wich is fine, but not what my main take away should be.

I expected the final chapter to be either the proposal or them married what with Oliver thinking he'd marry Felicity in one of the earlier chapters, it just wasn't like this. 

So, for me, this is an example of the ending not fitting the fic. I wholeheartedly recommend the first four chapters. Five and six were okay but not so magical in my eyes as the first four. I guess the fic can be read without the epilogue.

Spoiler

Although I did like "seeing" the photo Caitlin took.

Yeah, the epilogue just didn't fit at all and doesn't add anything to the story so I think you can just skip it tbh.

I guess I can add that to one of my fic peeves because quite a few fics do this. They start off one way and then wrap it up completely different and it ends up being like two different fics. I don't understand the need to have that kind of HEA all the time.

Spoiler

Yes, I want Olicity to end up together but I don't need to see them as grandparents. (That's probably another reason I don't like the FiCoN spin off because they have so many chapters about their kids when they're older, and their kids partners and even one when they're grandparents and it just doesn't work for me at all. I want to read about the Olicity of now.)

ITA with all of you about that ending. It just felt odd. Would have been better to close, as suggested above, with a proposal. I just have no interest in Olicity as grandparents or even parents. I just want them in the here and now. OK, maybe a in 5 years, but no more than that :P

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I don't know if it happened in this fic, but Felicity giggling is really starting to annoy me in fics.

I'm so with you.  Giggle is thrown around far too loosely.  Giggle is not interchangeable for laugh.  It comes with specific connotations that just don't work for Felicity unless there are specific circumstances that explain WHY she's giggling.  

• Love 2
(edited)

There are some truly excellent fics written by non-English as a first language writers that just blow me away with their command of the language and creativity with the language. They are much better written than anything I could write and it's allegedly my first language. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, leopardprint said:

There are some truly excellent fics written by non-English as a first language writers that just blow me away with their command of the language and creativity with the language. They are much better written than anything I could write and it's allegedly my first language. 

I agree!  I think I may have inadvertently insulted ChronicOlicity once when I left a comment on AO3 by how impressed I was by her command of the language--even better than some of the native speakers/writers of English.  I was gushing my praise because she's a fantastic writer [1] and because I can appreciate how rare it is for a non-native speaker to perfect the natural expression [2] that is evident in her writing, and I think she responded with "Um. OK."  

But seriously, ChronicOlicity is amazing. I think at the time her author notes identified her as a very young law student in Hong Kong whose native language was Mandarin or Cantonese (I can't remember). I recently calculated her total word count in the Arrow fandom on AO3--it's significantly higher than all of the Harry Potter books combined. She's just incredibly prolific in her production of professional quality stories, especially for someone writing in a secondary language and who is balancing a very busy life with her writing.  

1. To be fair, I was new in the fandom at that time and had limited knowledge of how talented a lot of fic writers are.
  2. By contrast, any attempt of mine to write stories in Spanish (the only other language of which I know a smattering) would read like Dick and Jane stories for children.
39 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

At least in the US, standard language education is pretty neglected compared to other countries so it's probably not that unusual to speak 2nd, 3rd even 4th languages very well in other places. 

I teach in a STEMM field at a university, so most of my colleagues and our grad students are non-native speakers of English who've discussed the integration of languages in their primary school education (compared to languages being offered as electives at the secondary level here). Most non-native speakers I interact with are much more knowledgeable about the parts of speech and grammar rules than my domestic students.

However, what impresses me about fic authors writing creatively in English is their easy use of idioms and word play, especially when there is little indication that some of them have had an immersive experience in the language.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Are they going for full blown tragedy? Or actually a funny Clueless type story.

I don't know.  I think I need others to check it out and bring back a report. 

I really don't have a problem with the grown up step children romance angle on it's own, but Robert marrying Donna seems really wrong and I am also thinking we'd have Goth Felicity and Douchebag Ollie on top of his mother and sister being replaced kind of fast.   Maybe it could work but my first instinct was to recoil.  

Edited by BkWurm1
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

There's Spawn in it! I don't read AUs with Crayola!!!!!! You'd think AUs are the one place you can escape that little dumb turd.

Oops!  Didn't see that.  Sorry I didn't warn you.  

Just now, BkWurm1 said:

Oops!  Didn't see that.  Sorry I didn't warn you.  

Oh no worries hun! I didn't click on it or anything!

I just wanted to bitch in general about the number of stories Crayola shows up in! I'm not hugely fussy but dammnit that little shit can ruin even the best stories for me. 

*stops having fit* Hehe ok resume normal programming.

• Love 1

I took a peak. At first glance, it doesn't seem that the set up is as bad as I assumed.

Spoiler

Robert marries Donna in under two years after losing Moira and Thea. I assumed it was less time. The pairing still doesn't make sense to me. And it seems like Oliver and Felicity's story kicks off years after that. Although there could be flashbacks that prove me wrong.

6 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

There's Spawn in it! I don't read AUs with Crayola!!!!!! You'd think AUs are the one place you can escape that little dumb turd.

I don't mind Oliver having a kid from his misspent youth, I just mind the way it was told on the show.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, bijoux said:
Spoiler

Robert marries Donna in under two years after losing Moira and Thea. I assumed it was less time. The pairing still doesn't make sense to me. And it seems like Oliver and Felicity's story kicks off years after that. Although there could be flashbacks that prove me wrong.

The time frame is misleading in the summary.  That's good to know.  Is it any good so far?  

I don't mind Oliver having a kid from his misspent youth, I just mind the way it was told on the show.

Yeah, that's usually my take. Of course I do see Mellow's point about AU's.  Unless it adds something helpful to the story, why include it in a non canon compliant story?  Now if it is based at all on the show (aka he's the Arrow) I insist that the author makes mention of the kid after a certain point in the timeline.  It bugs me when authors do a canon Arrow and Overwatch Olicity and yet there's no mention of Oliver ever having another kid.  I don't need or want Myson to star in a story, but my need for accuracy insists that his existence is acknowledged in anything set post their broken engagement.  

8 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

The time frame is misleading in the summary.  That's good to know.  Is it any good so far?   

It hasn't really picked my interest to be honest. But the first chapter is very much set up. You get info on 

Spoiler

Robert's affairs, Isabel included, Oliver acting out and cheating on Laurel with Sara. Not sure why that last one was crucial.

The writing is fine, but for what little Oliver there was sounded off to me.

This comparison after yesterday's con reminded me of the discussion about fic authors describing Oliver and Felicity as huge and tiny. I don't usually see it, but seeing pics like this makes me understand how some do.

DDNe7RUXsAA7xS4.jpg

That in turn made me remember my favorite description of Felicity's size, and more importantly how Oliver perceived her, in Though the Heavens Fall by freyjaschariot.

She loomed so large in his mind that sometimes he forgot how small she actually was. 

Now, that is some good, evocative writing. The fic has never been finished, but it's really good and is pretty much wrapped up regardless. Hearty recommendation.

• Love 5

It's not bad, but it's not really good either.  It doesn't make sense on a number of fronts, such as why Oliver and Felicity would hate each other, then be best friends, then she's shunning him for years.

The good thing is that Crayola is only four years old in it (although  behaves like he's about 6 or older which is a nice change from the TV version), adores Felicity and doesn't intrude on the story much.  On the other hand, there is a post 5x23 story about Oliver and William which was pretty good for the first couple of chapters as Oliver helps William get through the loss of his mother.  And then it tacks a hard right and William becomes the worst Gary Stu character, helping Felicity through a panic attack when she's worried about Oliver and going on Oliver and Felicity's big date.  I'm not going to link to it, you can find it on AO3 if ou want, but this is just a warning.

What I do recommend is No Type by bebrezzy91.  "Three times people thought Felicity Smoak and Oliver Queen didn't make sense and one time he sets the record straight.".  I liked it because I was expecting the same trope every time but the reason behind the scenarios is different.

• Love 2

I've realized that I don't have a problem with William showing up in fics. I do have a problem with Samantha showing up especially in S4 timeline and having her irrational demands treated as right/good/pure.

I was reading one fic that the author kept insisting Samantha was good/right/pure of heart even though in the fic, not only were Olicity married but, they had 2 children. Yet Fic Samantha applied the same rules, first he couldn't tell anyone (although he refused to keep the secret from his wife) but, Oliver wasn't allowed to introduce Felicity or his other Children to William for months. Then Samantha allowed Oliver to introduce his 2 kids with Felicity to William because William wanted to meet his siblings but Felicity couldn't meet William for like a freaking year.  Every other week Oliver would take his 2 kids to Central City and leave Felicity home alone for the weekend.

All the while the author kept insisting that Samantha was just a good mom and afraid of losing her son.

So I can take William but, I have major issues with Samantha.

• Love 6

I usually don't like fics with kids unless its really well written so I dislike it even more when it's William because I have such negative associations from the show when it comes to everything about him.Kinda made me realize that no amount of cute moments with Oliver or Felicity is gonna make me connect with the kid or want him around,it annoys me even in fic.

I tend to skip the post 5.23 fics that focus on him and go for ones where he's immediately reunited with Samantha and sent away

• Love 6
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I was reading one fic that the author kept insisting Samantha was good/right/pure of heart even though in the fic, not only were Olicity married but, they had 2 children. Yet Fic Samantha applied the same rules, first he couldn't tell anyone (although he refused to keep the secret from his wife) but, Oliver wasn't allowed to introduce Felicity or his other Children to William for months. Then Samantha allowed Oliver to introduce his 2 kids with Felicity to William because William wanted to meet his siblings but Felicity couldn't meet William for like a freaking year.  Every other week Oliver would take his 2 kids to Central City and leave Felicity home alone for the weekend.

Tbh, with how they portray Samantha and how spineless Oliver is with her, I could totally see that happening on the show. I like how Felicity totally doesn't impose the same conditions on her kids meeting Samantha.

Cue "But Felicity, she's the mother of his child. Her word is infallible. She is never to be questioned."

Why is her lying to him for 5+ years totally glossed over? 

Edited by leopardprint
22 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Time for a story, right? Yeah, was not a fan of that "arc."

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

What I do recommend is No Type by bebrezzy91.  "Three times people thought Felicity Smoak and Oliver Queen didn't make sense and one time he sets the record straight.".  I liked it because I was expecting the same trope every time but the reason behind the scenarios is different.

I liked the first chapters, but found the last one with Oliver and Felicity to be meh.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, way2interested said:

Time for a story, right? Yeah, was not a fan of that "arc."

Yeah, I almost quit a couple of times during those chapters. I ended up quitting later due to another arc. Nothing bad I just didn't like it.

14 hours ago, bijoux said:

It hasn't really picked my interest to be honest. But the first chapter is very much set up. You get info on 

Hide contents

Robert's affairs, Isabel included, Oliver acting out and cheating on Laurel with Sara. Not sure why that last one was crucial.

The writing is fine, but for what little Oliver there was sounded off to me.

5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It's not bad, but it's not really good either.  It doesn't make sense on a number of fronts, such as why Oliver and Felicity would hate each other, then be best friends, then she's shunning him for years.

12 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

@BkWurm1 I scanned it out of curiosity (hehe after the Crayola tanty) and it's not bad. Totally not my cup of tea and I wouldn't read it but it's well written and I can see it appealing to others. 

Thanks you guys for checking it out.  I think at this time I'm going to pass. There's just too many little things that sound off.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I will try to press on, but dude!  He has a goatee???!!!  

I think she assumes he's sporting the current SA beard!!!

Bear in mind I love this author to the point of leaving her scary fangirl comments so I don't question anything she writes =p

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I think she assumes he's sporting the current SA beard!!!

You could be right.  She does write after the goatee comment "now that his beard was longer".  Still, turns out "goatee" to me is like "Myson" to others.  I've already mentally shaved it off out of self defense.

Edited to add:  Oh, it's a plot point.  All's good now.  :D

Edited by BkWurm1