Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

Chapter 30 of FiCoN is really a roller coaster. I can most accurately describe it in gif form.

anchorman-yes-jumping.gif

Spoiler

Malcolm is dead, dead, deader than dead!

https://67.media.tumblr.com/d94cd239fb646abdfc0cd5b1b5382e63/tumblr_mx079yiPbY1rzik3go1_250.gif

Spoiler

Thea is working on my last nerve. I don't even care that she's hopped up on Mirakuru. Even on it, she's a brat. I'm way more annoyed with that turn than Felicity being in grave danger. I just want to know where the eff all the people in that house were while Oliver was brawling with Malcolm and then with idiot Thea.

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't even muster up any excitement for it, because I just want the story to be over, haha. It's one of those things where I should probably stop reading, but I've invested too much time to give up now (and I think it's almost over?). This is why I'm still watching Grey's Anatomy. 

Malcolm hasn't been enough of a threat in the fic for me to really care that he's finally dead. I mean, it's nice from a general perspective since Arrow should have killed him off, and Oliver was dumb for letting him go in the first place knowing that he was eventually going to gravely injure Felicity. I'm more anxious for them to wrap up the storylines they actually started with, like Slade. I also don't really care about Thea or her mirakuru rage. 

I'm guessing since Malcolm isn't around to nearly kill pregnant Felicity, this is where she gets it. But there isn't much suspense here since Ellie's still around, so clearly she lives? 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

I admire you guys for keeping on reading. :) I stopped like 3 months ago, haha. Which is weird for me, because usually I'm fine with long reads. The longer, the better. Probably I'll pick it up again once it's over. 

• Love 2

Oh, I cut bait when I'm sick of something. Grey's and I have been definitely over ever since the plane crash and it became abundantly clear that Shonda kills all the people. I swear, she's worse than S1 Oliver. And I was only drifting in and out for at least that entire season, possibly even the previous one.

As for this ending soon, I read an estimate of 40-42 chapters this weekend. The only hope that they'll stick to that is that Bre at least seems anxious about getting back to her other fics. I really want new installments of Blood Hands and the ending of her college fic. And the parts of so_caffeinated's 5+1 fic posted so far are really good. So I'm crossing my fingers she'll be posting some of that soon.

Regarding Malcolm, yes, it's the fact that he's dead SOMEWHERE that fills me with glee. And I read another fic in which he bites it today so I'm good. I'm not worried about Felicity at all, but great catch on time catching up with her like this. It didn't even cross my mind.

• Love 1
(edited)
15 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Oh my god, 10-12 more chapters? I thought someone said 35. I was really counting on that 35!

LOL. ;P

Edited by Guest
47 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Chapter 30 of FiCoN is really a roller coaster. I can most accurately describe it in gif form.

anchorman-yes-jumping.gif

Reveal hidden contents

Malcolm is dead, dead, deader than dead!

Hide contents

Thea is working on my last nerve. I don't even care that she's hopped up on Mirakuru. Even on it, she's a brat. I'm way more annoyed with that turn than Felicity being in grave danger. I just want to know where the eff all the people in that house were while Oliver was brawling with Malcolm and then with idiot Thea.

I think I may actually dislike this version of Thea more than I do canon Thea. Which I would not have thought possible.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, bijoux said:

I don't hate canon Thea, I hate the way she's used and how potentially good storylines are squandered. But this Thea? Yeesh. She can stay lost.

I think for me the two are inextricably intertwined now. She is put into very stupid plotlines, which require her to behave in very stupid ways. So, at this point, for me, she's just basically stupid. I was so looking forward to her Speedy arc in S4, too, before it turned into same ol' daddy issues and same ol' Thea-Obsessed Oliver. 

I think Willa's fine, though, so I think if they quit that awful writing for her I'll like her again. I only occasionally go into Quentin-induced paroxysms of rage now, and I absolutely hated his guts for months. So she's probably not a total lost cause for me, although the one pic of her and Oliver in S5 annoyed me. 

I so strongly preferred their S1 and S2 relationship. He was the loving, interfering big brother, but not creepily-obsessed. I STG if my big brother ever treated me like he does Thea I'd call the police.

Still better than the FICON version, though.

• Love 3

Thea on the show became improved a lot in season 3 and beyond. The problem is that the one in FiCoN is season 2 Thea at the height of her brattiness. Plus, I just don't care about what's happening to her when there's still the stuff about Zoom that hasn't been dealt with yet, and Slade on the loose.

I can't quit this story, though. I'm still interested in everything else that's going on, so whenever Thea shows up I just keep scrolling.

• Love 2

My only hope for FiCoN Thea is that Felicity tears her a new one when they meet up. Oliver almost died for her. Other people DID die because she was dumb as a sack of rocks.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, bijoux said:

My only hope for FiCoN Thea is that Felicity tears her a new one when they meet up. Oliver almost died for her. Other people DID die because she was dumb as a sack of rocks.

What, you mean stomping off alone into the lair of the people your brother has denounced as bad guys is a dumb idea?!?! Say it ain't so!

Darwin award finalist. My guess, though...this timeline's version of the Dark Archer.

Just now, bijoux said:

Oh, God. Pleasebewrongpleasebewrong.

Well, in some versions it's Tommy, so...she's Malcolm's other bio-kid, now super-strong, very angry, and holding a (batshit crazy) grudge about her father's death. At her brother's hands. 

Noooo. It makes sense and adds another eleventy chapters to this should it turn out to be true. 

On an unrelated note do you (general you) ever comment on an author's grammar, spelling or sentence structure? In cases where you're reading a generally enjoyable fic but then bear crops up when it's supposed to be bare, or there's a mix up in the pronouns, i.e. Oliver took his hand, when it's clearly Felicity's hand he's taking.

I haven't had a chance to read today's installment yet (so thanks for those spoiler bars).  I'm still following though.  I had a hunch that it was going to be long since So_Caffeinated's fic tend to turn into epics even if she doesn't start them out that way.

I agree about the awfulness of Thea in the first two seasons, and it's great credit to Willa Holland that she made up like her anyway.  I think s3 Thea was pretty bad too but that's because she was sacrificed to their obsession with Malcolm.

I am so impressed by writers who can reply with humour and graciousness to criticism. MatchaSWicket ended what was going to be a multi-chapter fic because a reader objected to her using Hamilton as a base and making some of the characters white (Felicity, Oliver, Lyla etc).  I would have been angry because Hamilton itself took real life white people and made them non-white, and LMM himself said he was thinking of having women play some of the roles.

Today, my hat's off to dettoit for this answer in Love Is Red:

I've come to the conclusion I cannot stand the way you write Felicity. She's meek and doesn't have much agency. Not just in this fic but in many of your fics. It's a pretty big characterisation problem. Maybe you should get a beta to help you with that. Just a suggestion.

dettiot on Chapter 12 Sun 10 Jul 2016 08:10PM EDT

I hope with the time you will gain from not reading my fics, you find ones with a Felicity that's more in line with who you think she is. Best wishes.

I just wanted to address this because I made the fic recommendation and I'm very sorry if anyone was upset.

On 7/15/2016 at 8:03 PM, kismet said:

No I agree with you, I was just trying to find a way that was not spoilery. I feel like they should just put that there is sexual assault in there. But some of these writers are very worrisome when it comes to spoilers. I was just trying to find a middle ground, perhaps I failed. For me, that would be enough of a warning sign to perhaps skip the fic if I had trigger warnings r/t sexual events. But I would prefer that the writer just come out and say it somewhere either in a trigger warning or the author's note on ch. 1. Or at least throw it in the rape descriptor category

This is such a difficult problem.  There are some things I hate and never want to read (torture) so I very much appreciate warnings.  But as kismet said, they can also spoil the story.  I suspected it in the first chapter so for me, confirmation that

Spoiler

Felicity had been sexually abused

in an author's note in ch 1 would have been the same as being told who committed the murder in a whodunit.  Confirmation of my theory was what kep me reading the fic.  (That, and the fact that there is so little out there right now.)

I was talking it over with a friend and she suggested that the trigger warning be put at the top of the chapter in which we're told about what happened, but I get the feeling that wouldn't solve the problem either.

I thought that since it was a statement of facts of what had happened in the past rather than playing out in the fic itself, there wouldn't be a problem. Again, I'm very sorry if anyone was upset.

I don't really say anything about grammar, etc., unless the writer specifically asks. There's one writer I quite enjoy, who massively overuses the word "small." "She took a small sip of her coffee, which she'd picked up in the small coffee shop around the corner." It takes me out of the story for a second, but doesn't seem worth maybe hurting someone's feelings. I try to keep it to positive comments, maybe with a "PLEASE KILL MALCOLM" thrown in. (Unless they write super-douchey authors' notes inviting criticism bc they'd just "destroy it," anyway.)

I would never have said that to dettiot, but I basically agree with the criticism. I have similar issues with callistawolf's characterization of Felicity. She's not so much meek, but is overly willing to put up with Oliver's crap, bc she just loooooooves him so. There are a few others who tend to write Felicity as the ever-forgiving saint...hope27 wrote one in which she actually typed the words (paraphrasing): "When Felicity found out Oliver had lied to her about his son, she loved him even more for what he was willing to do to protect his loved ones."

I nearly vomited.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

hope27 wrote one in which she actually typed the words (paraphrasing): "When Felicity found out Oliver had lied to her about his son, she loved him even more for what he was willing to do to protect his loved ones."

I nearly vomited.

I can't even.

Thanks for your view on the other thing. I've never said anything, but sometimes I wonder if the writer would maybe prefer the mistake not to be out there. But whenever I think of saying something, it feels bitchy.

I think pointing out a legit mistake is okay. I found one the other day that was along the lines of the one you mentioned - like Oliver doing something with his hand when it should've been hers, and I wrote to the author to let them know. I wouldn't do it with anything that was nitpicky or a personal preference, though.

• Love 1

Oh, I'm not talking about personal preferences at all. As I said, I had issues with dettiot's writing but those came down to personal differences in taste. And I'm not going to and shouldn't try to change hers, so I just looked for writers who are a better fit for me.

Something adjacent - I enjoyed "Under my skin", but the author's style drove me crazy. For a while I actually wondered if it was an actual conscious style choice or just an issue with punctuation. Ugh.

• Love 1
Just now, bijoux said:

Oh, I'm not talking about personal preferences at all. As I said, I had issues with dettiot's writing but those came down to personal differences in taste. And I'm not going to and shouldn't try to change hers, so I just looked for writers who are a better fit for me.

Oh, I didn't think you were, haha. It was just a continuation of the thought of what I thought was okay vs. what I would think twice before doing.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, looptab said:

Something adjacent - I enjoyed "Under my skin", but the author's style drove me crazy. For a while I actually wondered if it was an actual conscious style choice or just an issue with punctuation. Ugh.

I haven't read that one but did start the author's new one, Run to the Water, and actually thought the style, particularly in the first chapter, was very good. I didn't notice anything off with the punctuation. So specific to that story, I guess?

I think a lot of writers really improve story-by-story. It can be pretty impressive to watch. I thought, for example, Bindy's first story was quite fun, but her second story is killing me, in a good way. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I haven't read that one but did start the author's new one, Run to the Water, and actually thought the style, particularly in the first chapter, was very good. I didn't notice anything off with the punctuation. So specific to that story, I guess?

Probably. I haven't read anything else by them. Or maybe she did forget to put full stops at the end of sentences, or typed commas instead. All I know is my eye started twitching by the second chapter, haha.

• Love 1

I'm gonna put my hand up and say I don't like dettoit's fics either (or the way she writes Felicity) but I'd never leave a comment such as the one above. I don't actually read them anymore. If you don't like, move on. 

Anyone else feel like there's just been a dearth of fics lately though? I've not really been reading any. Not feeling any of them tbh.

I've greatly enjoyed Bindy's 2 works. I think they are good AUs.

I enjoy Dettoits writing. But some of her characterization is hit or miss for me. I think she is better at AU, so I give her more leeway with the characters.

(edited)

Who is Bindy again?

ETA: I'll be honest, I'm occasionally guilty of leaving negative feedback on a fic based on personal triggers. For instance if i come across a fic where they have Felicity babbling for entire paragraphs every time she opens her mouth. Or if they write a S3-4 fic during S3 or S4 and have Felicity as Oliver's  or worse (just came across this one) Palmer's EA.

I just came across a fic last week that had Felicity as a HS genius who was 2 years advanced in school graduating at the age of 17. I was really really tempted to point out that was factually incorrect amd a 17 year old HS grad is normal (depending on birth month).

Edited by Morrigan2575
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I just wanted to address this because I made the fic recommendation and I'm very sorry if anyone was upset.

This is such a difficult problem.  There are some things I hate and never want to read (torture) so I very much appreciate warnings.  But as kismet said, they can also spoil the story.  I suspected it in the first chapter so for me, confirmation that

Hide contents

Felicity had been sexually abused

in an author's note in ch 1 would have been the same as being told who committed the murder in a whodunit.  Confirmation of my theory was what kep me reading the fic.  (That, and the fact that there is so little out there right now.)

I was talking it over with a friend and she suggested that the trigger warning be put at the top of the chapter in which we're told about what happened, but I get the feeling that wouldn't solve the problem either.

I thought that since it was a statement of facts of what had happened in the past rather than playing out in the fic itself, there wouldn't be a problem. Again, I'm very sorry if anyone was upset.

Thanks, @statsgirl, for addressing this on here. I was the one who complained about the story recently because of its lack of trigger warnings, but that was totally on the author.  I commented on the story to ask her to add a warning, and she did.

Adding the warning just in the chapter in which 

Spoiler

Felicity's past sexual abuse

was discussed was insufficient because all of the earlier clues were too true to 

Spoiler

a survivor's experience, even years later. I couldn't finish the story because the whole premise was pretty harmful, despite the author's obvious care to be sensitive to the storyline. Oliver came across as grossly exploitative at best, and Felicity's distress at sexual intimacy was resolved via a simple mind over matter approach of saying Oliver's name during sex with him.

I just wanted the author to understand that people like me can have devastating psychological setbacks when we unexpectedly encounter such triggers. 

• Love 1

I'm really sorry, EmeraldArcher.  And I agree, it was resolved too quickly and much too easily.

I'm glad the author added a trigger warning.

Now that I've read the latest chapter of FiCoN

5 hours ago, bijoux said:

Oh, God. Pleasebewrongpleasebewrong.

Just my 2 cents (what happened to the cents symbol?) but I think she is wrong.

Spoiler

Mirakuru makes people insane and irrational but it can be cured.  Thea jumping through the window reminded me of Sara after coming back from the Lazarus Pit and she was cured.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, looptab said:

Probably. I haven't read anything else by them. Or maybe she did forget to put full stops at the end of sentences, or typed commas instead. All I know is my eye started twitching by the second chapter, haha.

Now, in Run to the Water, there are no full stops at the end of some sentences, the dialogue is punctuated atrociously, and there are some run-on sentences which have to be seen to be believed.

The only place that's a conscious style is in poetry, and even there it helps if your name is e.e. cummings. Or James Joyce. And in those cases, the choices are consistent and have a purpose, rather than "I'm doing this for free! Stop hassling me about punctuation!"

I have your same issues with reading that stuff. Can't do it, nossir. That's why I only read the first chapter of Under my skin and peaced out.

I was going to write that it's weird that I'm becoming more nitpicky about this stuff as I get older, when I realised that it's not weird at all. Shit. As for saying something to the author . . . uhhh. No, I guess.

It's very rare to find just one mistake of that kind - in this case it's throughout. Not only that, the formatting is terrible too. I mean, doing this kind of thing is part of my job, you know? I get paid for this shit, so in my free time, I'd rather not.

Edited by arjumand
21 minutes ago, arjumand said:

Now, in Run to the Water, there are no full stops at the end of some sentences, the dialogue is punctuated atrociously, and there are some run-on sentences which have to be seen to be believed.

The only place that's a conscious style is in poetry, and even there it helps if your name is e.e. cummings. Or James Joyce. And in those cases, the choices are consistent and have a purpose, rather than "I'm doing this for free! Stop hassling me about punctuation!"

I have your same issues with reading that stuff. Can't do it, nossir. That's why I only read the first chapter of Under my skin and peaced out.

I was going to write that it's weird that I'm becoming more nitpicky about this stuff as I get older, when I realised that it's not weird at all. Shit. As for saying something to the author . . . uhhh. No, I guess.

It's very rare to find just one mistake of that kind - in this case it's throughout. Not only that, the formatting is terrible too. I mean, doing this kind of thing is part of my job, you know? I get paid for this shit, so in my free time, I'd rather not.

Funny thing is, my favourite author does something like that, and it never bothered me - the opposite, his style adds another whole dimension to the read. I don't know why it bugged me in this case. Maybe, as you said, because it lacked purpose. One thing is playing with the punctuation to manipulate the pacing, another is doing it just because. 

I did finish the story though, and quite liked it. It's just, I'd have liked it a lot more without that stuff, haha.

(edited)

Ok, please, please tell me I can make a negative comment on this story.  PLEASE!

Settle Down Inside My Love

I really, really need to comment that sexual harassment isn't cute/sexy/romantic.

That a 20 year old guy making unwanted sexual advances on a 15 year old girl isn't romantic.  

I really, really NEED to inform the author that telling a woman the only way to get a guy to stop sexually harassing her is to just give him what he wants (i.e sleep with him) is WRONG! 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Ok, please, please tell me I can make a negative comment on this story.  PLEASE!

Settle Down Inside My Love

I really, really need to comment that sexual harassment isn't cute/sexy/romantic.

That a 20 year old guy making unwanted sexual advances on a 15 year old girl isn't romantic.  

I really, really NEED to inform the author that telling a woman the only way to get a guy to stop sexually harassing her is to just give him what he wants (i.e sleep with him) is WRONG! 

Go for it. Please and thank you.

• Love 1
(edited)

Whoa, my phone just resubmitted my last post when I tried to quote someone up thread! Whackadoo.

I'm most tempted to point out an author's mistakes if they're recurring: woah for whoa, misusing a word repeatedly, etc. I'm too cowardly, though, because I know how bratty I can come across online. 

I did leave an author criticism of her story recently, in a similar situation to the one Morrigan linked, where the implications of her characters actions were so creepy but presented as normal/cute. I assume the worst offenders are super young and don't quite understand the implications of certain behaviors and dynamics yet. 

And yes, there is a serious dearth of new fics lately. It's not really surprising given the showmakers' horrible mishandling of Olicity and the uninspiring spoilers coming out. Way to kill something amazing, Show.

Have you all seen this list yet? It's introduced some decent fics I'd totally missed. 

http://thatmasquedgirl.tumblr.com/post/144576230212/the-summer-olicity-fic-list-2016

I'm currently enjoying Timejacked. It drags occasionally but is pretty cute and fun.

On Tuesday, July 05, 2016 at 1:02 PM, kismet said:

Edited by Ang
My phone is weird.
  • Love 1

And yes, there is a serious dearth of new fics lately. It's not really surprising given the showmakers' horrible mishandling of Olicity and the uninspiring spoilers coming out. Way to kill something amazing, Show.

I've gone through my list and realized a lot of the older authors have stopped putting out new fics and in many cases abandoned older fics. 

I don't know if it's a reaction to how Olicity was handled in S3/4 or if it's because Olicity became reality and thus some authors lost interest in exploring the pairing in fics?

It's probably a combination of the two. Olicity was a whole lot more fun for me when I thought it was a crack ship. Reading over-the-top comments and then watching the 15 second clips that inspired them was how I got into this fandom in the first place.