Type keyword(s) to search

Music: The Greatest Hits of Mullet Rock

• Start Topic

It was the music that made me really passionate about Dupernatural when I first started watching. This was MY music. Yes I enjoy a wide variety of music tastes but it rally struck a chord when I heard it. It felt like home.

• Love 2

That said, I do wonder about the *why* of it.  I know that it was Eric Kripke's choice, but It doesn't make sense to me for it to be "his" music. In my experience, musical tastes are defined in ones teens and early twenties, but really, most of this music is a decade or two too early for him and I wouldn't think that he lived somewhere where it was still "the thing" by his time.  Even in my backwater home town, this wasn't the new music on the radio and I'm a fair bit older than Kripke.

My 10 year old son loves Bon Jovi.  I'm not sure why, as my husband & I like the music okay, but I wouldn't say it is something we play often.  His favorite song is "Dead or Alive" and I can't tell you how often I have to listen to it in the car.  Just today I got the request to hear it, and he was singing along to it like Sam was in No Rest for the Wicked.  He's never seen Supernatural, but he was even doing the facial expressions Sam has once he starts getting into it when he sings along.

But he did pick up my musical taste in the Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, U2, INXS and lately, to the horror of my husband, Nine Inch Nails.  So there is a bit of picking up the tastes of your parents.

• Love 2

My 10 year old son loves Bon Jovi.  I'm not sure why, as my husband & I like the music okay, but I wouldn't say it is something we play often.  His favorite song is "Dead or Alive" and I can't tell you how often I have to listen to it in the car.  Just today I got the request to hear it, and he was singing along to it like Sam was in No Rest for the Wicked.  He's never seen Supernatural, but he was even doing the facial expressions Sam has once he starts getting into it when he sings along.

But he did pick up my musical taste in the Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, U2, INXS and lately, to the horror of my husband, Nine Inch Nails.  So there is a bit of picking up the tastes of your parents.

Well, Bon Jovi does rock... on occasion ;D

In my family, musical tastes seem to have skipped a generation.  I am so not into the stuff my Dad likes (opera, show tunes, classical and "easy listening") but my oldest likes much of that (with added rap and hip hop).  And neither of mine like what I listen to.  I like some of the top 40 stuff and what my kids refer to as "dinosaur rock"  as well as rockabilly and some psychobilly.  And yes,  I'm weird.

• Love 1

My 10 year old son loves Bon Jovi.  I'm not sure why, as my husband & I like the music okay, but I wouldn't say it is something we play often.  His favorite song is "Dead or Alive" and I can't tell you how often I have to listen to it in the car.

This cracks me up. It's so strange what people especially like or even what they listen to. I didn't even hear Bon Jovi until I was maybe 16 or 18 because he just wasn't someone anyone ever had playing, I guess -- but when I drove up into New Jersey for the first time suddenly the radio was *all* Bon Jovi and Beastie Boys, you couldn't get away from him.

And how is it that any given youngish, drunk person from Pennsylvania up through Massachusetts knows Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline and Journey's Don't Stop Believing by heart?! Not to cast aspersions, after SO MANY impromptu bar singalongs I know them, too. But why those songs***? Who hears them anyplace EXCEPT at bars?

Anyway, I think music is still pretty regional in the US, though. I just listen to the radio in the car, and it always surprises me how much the music changes as you go from one region to another. (The difference in commercials between stations or between regions is the *most* interesting, though. Driving across the Texas panhandle, every other commercial was for a church!).

Or, speaking of regional differences -- (this is kind of funny/strange) I never liked Tupac until I moved to California and the man I was with, who was from the Bay Area and obsessed with Bay Area rap and loved Tupac, made me listen to his songs to the point that I actually started to appreciate them. I'll even listen to them on my own sometimes. But now that I'm living back on the East Coast, I notice that the radio never plays Tupac out here, it's *always* Biggie. (Except for California Love, ironically?) How weird is that? That feud is so old, if it were a person it would be married with kids by now.

***Random Personal Story Warning

Speaking of drunk singalongs, this is my best drunk singalong story:  This one time my friend and I got into a cab in Baltimore and told the driver to take us to whatever club he felt like (and then got into a fight with him over politics? He was really conservative about tax policy or something, I don't remember), so he drove us to this gigantic tent "club" set up in a field out in Baltimore County. There were maybe ~500 people there, from all over the place -- Baltimore City, rural Pennsylvania. I have no idea how they all knew about it, nobody I asked later had ever heard of this giant tent club. It was a strange place anyhow -- instead of shot girls, there were men walking around carrying these little scientific-looking vials of red liquid? Idk, even if I'd been sober I probably would have been confused. ANYWAY! So when Def Leopard's Pour Some Sugar on Me came over the speakers, that WHOLE WEIRD CLUB started singing along. I mean hundreds of people, out on the dance floor, were singing to it. I'd never even heard the song before, I don't think, but obviously I had to try to sing along, too. Weird, right? Who even plays Def Leopard when people are trying to dance?

Heh, rue721, were the people in their mid 40s? Though I do agree that Def Leopard is not dance music, it is pretty much one of the anthems of the hair bands. VH1 did one of those songs of the 80's show (I don't remember the exact subject of the countdown, but it may have been rock ballads or rock anthems or something - it might even have been 80s songs you sing along to), and I'm pretty sure "Pour Some Sugar on Me" was #2 in the countdown. Heh - guess what #1 was: "Living on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi. (And if you ever want to be in a building full of about 10,000+ people all singing, mostly badly, at the top of their lungs, go to a Bon Jovi concert and wait for them to play "Living on a Prayer". Which I totally recommend by the way, because I've been to four Bon Jovi concerts and they were all awesome. (Despite all the hits though (and they play most of them - awesomely) my favorite will always be Jon's rendition of "Hallelujia.")

My point here being that if there were 40-somethings in the crowd, this would definitely explain the "Pour Some Sugar on Me" singing. That's just kind of the way rock music was back in the 80s. And I loved it. I was so bummed when my cable music channel line-up was changed and got rid of the one station I loved - it was called "Arena Rock", and played stuff like Bon Jovi, Journey, Aerosmith, Bad Company, etc. - and replaced it with "Retro Rock" which turned out to be mid 90s, depressing grunge stuff mostly. : ( . No more singing and dancing around while doing housework for me.

And how is it that any given youngish, drunk person from Pennsylvania up through Massachusetts knows Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline and Journey's Don't Stop Believing by heart?! Not to cast aspersions, after SO MANY impromptu bar singalongs I know them, too. But why those songs***? Who hears them anyplace EXCEPT at bars?

I assure you, you need to cast a wider net than Pennsylvania to Massachusetts.  ;-)  Here in Hawaii, barely legals love to sing those songs at the top of their lungs, drunk or not.

Likewise, they are frequently played at sporting events, as well as bars.

• Love 1

I assure you, you need to cast a wider net than Pennsylvania to Massachusetts.  ;-)  Here in Hawaii, barely legals love to sing those songs at the top of their lungs, drunk or not.

Likewise, they are frequently played at sporting events, as well as bars.

My son has never been to a bar, nor from Pennsylvania to Massachusetts, and he loves Sweet Caroline, as song I loathe.  If I still had it on my phone, he'd be me to play it in the car constantly.  But I deleted it from my phone months ago when I couldn't take it any more.  I'll take Taylor Swift over that any day of the week!

• Love 2

Heh, rue721, were the people in their mid 40s? Though I do agree that Def Leopard is not dance music, it is pretty much one of the anthems of the hair bands.

I think it was maybe hair band kismet. We were there celebrating that I had finally turned 18 and could get into clubs legally, so I think the crowd skewed pretty young or else we would have noticed that nobody there was our age?

Considering the music choice and that I've never again met anyone else who has heard of this weird tent place, my best guess is that we somehow stumbled onto the club version of Brigadoon.

Wow, I thought it was just a NE thing? I've managed to escape it except when surrounded by people from the NE, but apparently that's just been dumb luck. Fingers crossed that the luck will continue, anyway.

The songs that I personally can't help singing along to are TLC's No Scrubs and Aaliyah's Are You That Somebody. It's Pavlovian. But thankfully, they're not in rotation nowadays, so I'm only really forced to reveal my shame on karaoke nights. I don't even know how I'd feel if a whole bar started belting out, "I've been watching you, like a hawk in the sky, and you are my preeeeeey!" Probably great, to be honest, it would probably be fantastic!

OK now I'm envisioning how different SPN would be as a show if instead of classic rock, its soundtrack was 90s ladies' R&B.

Do you guys have songs that you can't help singing along to? If so, please admit the most embarrassing ones.

Also, I still can't get over your son's music selection, ItsABear. What's his favorite playlist like -- first Sweet Caroline, then Closer? Cracking me up. He's pretty sophisticated for a ten year old!

• Love 1

Also, I still can't get over your son's music selection, ItsABear. What's his favorite playlist like -- first Sweet Caroline, then Closer? Cracking me up. He's pretty sophisticated for a ten year old!

He's funny, Rue!  Since I drive him most places, he's been forced to listen to my music most of his life (Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole!) but when he really hates something, I don't play it.  So no more Nora Jones or Cranberries when he's in the car.  His favorite music right now is Bon Jovi, especially "Wanted Dead or Alive" and "You Give Love a Bad Name", "Outshined" by Soundgarden, "Head Like a Hole" by Nine Inch Nails, "American Music" by the Violent Femmes, "Telephone" by Lady Gaga and all of 1989 by Taylor Swift among others.  He's still really into the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack, too.  It is amusing to hear him sing along with his play list in his room, going from Blank Space to Head like a Hole then to Cherry Bomb.  

That is odd.  Those songs are pretty much 2 different generations.  I could sing along with both, but then I'm old :D  Sweet Caroline is something I'd remember from childhood (I suspect it played in heavy rotation) and Journey is part of "my" music~hair bands and arena rock and all, so that makes sense.  But younger folks, in the bar?  Weird!

I blame Glee, myself.  They've done both Sweet Caroline and Don't Stop Believing.

And to bring this back to Supernatural, while they've never used it, "Blaze of Glory" by Bon Jovi might as well have been written with this show in mind.  The lyrics are so very Supernatural, it's uncanny.  Here are a few lines:  "I don't know where I'm going, only god knows where I've been; I'm the devil on the run, a six gun lover, a candle in the wind........You ask me bout my conscience, well I offer you my soul; you ask if I'll grow to be a wise man, well I ask if I'll grow old........I'm going down in a Blaze of Glory, Take me now, but know the truth.  I'm going out in Blaze of Glory, Lord I never drew first but I drew first blood, I'm the devil's son, call me young gun."

Blaze of Glory by Bon Jovi was written for Young Guns, so it makes sense it would also fit for Supernatural.  I think that is when I first heard the song.  But I'm old, and saw that movie in the theater.

I'm in my mid-30s and I love the music, even though I guess it's not my generation's music.  My parents dictated the music played, so it was country music, all the time.  When I was about 8, they got me a radio for my room and all I listened to was the only rock station that would come in and they played stuff from the 60s and 70s.  I like a variety of music, but my favorite genres would probably be classic rock/heavy metal and 90s alt rock, so I think that access to music is more of an influence on your tastes than anything else.

Oh, and on the Sweet Caroline and Don't Stop Believin' bar singalong songs, it's definitely not just an east coast thing.  I live in the midwest and, in my early 20s, was a regular at two country bars.  Well, club is probably a more accurate description, since one place had a mechanical bull and the other had an indoor bull riding arena.  Every Friday around 11:30, they'd stop the music and 5-6 local bull riders would compete.

Anyway, the clientele at these places ranged from the kid that just turned 18 to the 65 year old newly single retiree and everyone in between.  Both of those singalong songs (plus Friends in Low Places) were definite staples and at least two of them were played every time I was there.  I don't know if everyone knew the lyrics, but you can't help but pick them up once you're surrounded by 200 people all screaming basically the same thing.

• Love 1

I CANNOT get that ELO "Long Black Road" song out of my mind.

I need to listen to it again, because oddly I did not know that song, and I really like ELO: skipping the syrupy Xanadu phase anyway - so basically early ELO and the post Xanadu "Don't Bring Me Down" era. In fact ELOs Greatest Hits was my very first album for my first record player - and I have the CD now which I still play often. "Do Ya" (not on that album) and "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" are my current favorites. Oh and "Mr Blue Sky" which is awesome.

Do you guys have songs that you can't help singing along to? If so, please admit the most embarrassing ones.

So, so many, but I'll play along and give you a few for now. I'm sure I'll think of more.

"Baby's Got Back" by Sir Mix-a-Lot

"Brick House" by The Commodores

"Word Up" by Cameo

"You Give Love A Bad Name" by Bon Jovi, * probably "Blaze of Glory" - hell, most Bon Jovi is generally singable for me. (I especially love the lesser known "Right Side of Wrong")

Those are the more known ones, but I'll also sing most Weird Al, heywood banks, and several other Dr Demento type songs. When I play it, "Dead Puppies" is a must sing, much to the (feigned) dismay of my hubby. Though he shares my love for heywood's "The Cat Got Dead" (as did ironically my late cat who apparently loved the song, because she would only come into the living room when I played music if I was playing that song or another of heywood bank's songs, though  that one was the one that would bring her in the most. Once I played something besides heywood, though, the cat would promptly leave the room.) The non-talking parts of "Existential Blues" are also a must-sing for me along with some of the talking parts, too.

My taste in music is bizarre. When my niece and nephew were little and would be picky about eating I used to sing them this (Warning: potential major earworm) and add my own verses - mostly because I didn't know all of them, because I heard it originally from a commercial. They loved it, and would usually eat for me afterwards - especially if I sang my "kid naughty" verse when my sis was out of earshot ("would you like a tart or some beans to make you fart?" - kids love that stuff).

* (I'm with your son on that one, ItsABear - also on the Nora Jones dislike. I just find her so boring.)

• Love 1

I blame Glee, myself.  They've done both Sweet Caroline and Don't Stop Believing.

I'm pretty sure Glee is the reason those songs are nationally known by that age group. I never even watched Glee, but I knew that it did "Don't Stop Believing" because everybody around me would not stop singing it.

As for songs I can't help singing along with, I don't always know them until I hear them. But I have three that stick out for me:

-- "Killing Me Softly" by the Fugees -- no idea why, but when I was in college the job I had required annual group training for which we loaded onto a bus early in the morning and road for a couple of hours. Our first year out, one of the girls on the bus started up with that song, and we just sang it repeatedly on the way to the training camp. I remember that every time I hear it.

-- "Africa" by Toto -- I have a feeling I should be blaming this on Chuck, since that's how long it took me to go find the actual title of the song -- but I was singing it long before Jeffster. It just makes me smile. I've caught myself singing along no matter where I am -- even in grocery stores while I'm shopping.

-- "Renegade" by Styx -- for obvious reasons. :-)

Only "Killing Me Softly" could be considered "my generation," and even then not really since the version I know best is a cover. But I didn't listen to most of the stuff that was popular during my childhood. The stations in my area were 90% Country music anyway; definitely not my thing.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure Glee is the reason those songs are nationally known by that age group. I never even watched Glee, but I knew that it did "Don't Stop Believing" because everybody around me would not stop singing it.

Not sure about the current crop of barely legals, but I'm in my late twenties and drunken singalongs to "Don't Stop Believing" and "Sweet Caroline" in particular have been going on at least since I was going to dive bars with a fake ID in like, 2003.

YES to "Killing Me Softly." Every time. Speaking of the Fugees, do you know that song, "Guantanamera"? It's a silly song overall imo but I can never help from repeating those lines, "Do you speak English? Can I buy you a drink?" So charming, such romance, Wyclef. LOL.

Also, "Gangsta's Paradise." Even when I heard a cover in Russian, I still couldn't help myself. 

The worst is when you work at a job that has music playing all the time, and you hear the same song over and over until it becomes an earworm (that you may never be free of again!). "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield -- the theme song to The Hills ffs! -- is still constantly threatening to lodge in my head because I heard it *so much* during a period of 2006 when I was working in a restaurant whose corporate radio's DJs were apparently unable to go longer than 20-30 minutes without hearing FEEL THE RAIN ON YOUR SKIN for the n-th time. Between that music and the literal script(s) we had to follow with "guests" it was like they were doing a secret remake of Clockwork Orange in that place.

What songs would you guys most want to hear on SPN? Even if they're not at all "classic rock"?

The one that I would love to hear on SPN (and would use for a fanvid if I had any idea how to make fanvids) is "Life Goes On," by Tupac.

Edited by rue721

One?! Too hard. Here's some options

Bob Seger:

- Turn the Page

- Nutbush City Limits

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Sweet Home Alabama

Rolling Stones

You can't always get what you want

Procol Harlem

A Whiter Shade of Pale

Temptations

Ain't too proud to Beg

Edited by SueB
  • Love 1

I'd love to see some Elvis Presley on the show, especially "A Little Less Conversation".  I think that would be a great song to play during a fight scene.  

I think some Green Day would be nice, too!  Maybe Longview.  

Also, "Gangsta's Paradise." Even when I heard a cover in Russian, I still couldn't help myself.

Oh I agree.... though it's a toss up on whether it'll be the original version - which is admittedly awesome - or the Weird Al parody, Amish Paradise *, because as mentioned, I'm a sucker for Weird Al.

* The Weird Al parody video features Florence Henderson in the Michelle Pieffer role. Hee.

What songs would you guys most want to hear on SPN? Even if they're not at all "classic rock"?

Ooh tough, but first I'll repeat my request for John Hiatt's "30 Years of Tears" which I think would be awesome. I hadn't heard the song until I saw it on "Crossing Jordan." It played at the end of the first episode and fit the character Jordan so well - who like the Winchesters lost her mother at a young age and who's life was overshadowed by that and how her father raised her. The show did the awesome thing of playing it again at the end of the finale episode as Jordan finally realizes that she has to learn to let it go. Man, I missed that show. But it fits the Winchesters just as much if not more than it does Jordan, so that would be my first choice.

Others:

"I'm Proud to Be Standing Here Today" by Joe Cocker - never gonna happen, but I'd love it

"Whiter Shade of Pale" by Protocol harem - I second that choice, SueB.

"Hamburg Song" by Keane -  This song reminds me of Dean (the lyrics not the style, which Dean would likely hate - or pretend to hate - but Sam would probably be into.)

More Air Supply - maybe "Power of Love" or "Making Love Out of Nothing At All" - though I'd like for Sam to be caught trying not to sing it that time.

Since we got a hint of it this past episode - some Genesis. One of the somewhat darker ones like "Mama" which I think would work nicely for an opening creepy sequence in a city setting.

I reserve the chance to revisit with potential others.

Well, this one by Colin James for one. It's not "classic rock" but it has some of that flavour. And I love the intro.

http://youtu.be/NetqMq8e31k

I doubt he would have ever heard this one, but I think Dean would appreciate it.

And this one, also by Mr. James, because the theme/lyrics fit with the show.

http://youtu.be/gngNfieMJe8

True in the show they usually are talking about Hoodoo not Voodoo, but they do reference both and the lyrics here talk about trading a soul and spells. So....!

And I third the Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale nomination.

Ooh, song wish lists! I'll play.

Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here or Comfortably Numb

Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil (obviously) or This Could Be The Last Time

Matchbox 20 - Lets See How Far We've Come

• Love 2

Matchbox 20! It's been so long! Maybe "Real World" or "3AM" would work, too. I've always liked those songs. Who am I kidding, I like basically all their songs.

"I'm Proud to Be Standing Here Today" by Joe Cocker - never gonna happen, but I'd love it

Joe Cocker! If they're going to go a little sentimental-yet-peppy, personally, I'd much rather hear a Joe Cocker song than that stupid lone-oboe-and-strings-on-a-MIDI-keyboard thing they try to give us from time to time. Like at the end of this past episode when Charlie was saying goodbye. I have no idea what was happening in that scene because I was completely distracted by the schlocky music.

Just hire someone to play blues guitar instead of putting together that stupid faux orchestral stuff, I swear it couldn't be too much more expensive.

I think blues, even modern/pop blues, is wayyyyyyyy underused on SPN. It would work well on the show, wouldn't it? I'd love to hear The Heavy on the show, and especially Amy Winehouse.

Bob Seger:
- Turn the Page
- Nutbush City Limits

They haven't used Bob Seger on the show before? Not only do I agree that that would work on the show, I could've sworn they've used "Turn the Page" but guess not.

Sorry, but cannot join the love for Genesis or Procol Harum. Probably unfair but I just can't stand those bands/songs.

You guys ever listen to those remixes, especially on the Spanish language stations, where the DJ will put in a cop car siren going "BLOOP BLOOP" every now and again in the songs? I have no idea why DJs do that, to give heart attacks to all the people driving around while they're listening to the radio? Cracks me up to think of that playing on SPN, though.

They've used quite a few Seger songs, but I don't think "Turn the Page" is one of them. Seger always fits the tone of the show quite nicely, IMO.

I think blues, even modern/pop blues, is wayyyyyyyy underused on SPN. It would work well on the show, wouldn't it? I'd love to hear The Heavy on the show, and especially Amy Winehouse.

I can't even populate a list of individual songs I'd like to hear; there are just too many good possibilities, but I would love to hear more old blues. Especially since most of the music Dean is fond of are covers of old blues tunes.

• Love 2

Sorry, but cannot join the love for Genesis or Procol Harum. Probably unfair but I just can't stand those bands/songs.

I'm right there with you.  I detest Genesis!  And Procol Harum, while I don't have quite as strong feelings against them, I don't like them either.  

It would be interesting if the used a Lady Gaga song, though. It would be something completely different.  

I can't even populate a list of individual songs I'd like to hear; there are just too many good possibilities, but I would love to hear more old blues. Especially since most of the music Dean is fond of are covers of old blues tunes.

Any blues musicians/bands/songs in particular?

I ask partially because I love blues but just listen to whatever I stumble on, so I'm always on the lookout for recs :)

It would be interesting if the used a Lady Gaga song, though. It would be something completely different.  

LOL I wish! That would be hilarious. Maybe one day Baby's cassette player will break, and they'll be forced to listen to the radio. Who knows what could come on! The funniest choice imo would be Katy Perry's "Firework," if only for the lyric (which always makes me laugh), "do you ever feel like a plastic bag." WTF NO I DON'T who feels like a plastic bag?! It would just be such a mismatch for Supernatural that I would crack up laughing to hear it come on over Baby's speakers or for it to be the soundtrack to a fight.

Anyway, there are so many songs by The Heavy especially that I think would be perfect. My personal top picks:

The lyrics to "Short Change Hero" are fantastic and work so well for Sam and Dean, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1QUZzeZoPQ

"Lonesome Road" especially has that nihilistic-but-irreverent vibe that reminds me so much of SPN.

"What Makes a Good Man," sounds so "Sam" to me -- and since I love that song, it also makes me love Sam a little more whenever I hear it.

• Love 2
Joe Cocker! If they're going to go a little sentimental-yet-peppy, personally, I'd much rather hear a Joe Cocker song than that stupid lone-oboe-and-strings-on-a-MIDI-keyboard thing they try to give us from time to time. Like at the end of this past episode when Charlie was saying goodbye. I have no idea what was happening in that scene because I was completely distracted by the schlocky music.

I so agree, but now I feel Like a dummy for giving the wrong title of this song. It's a mistake I've made before, I think due to it being in an episode of Magnum PI (a show I never even watched, but somehow saw this episode) where they had a special version of this song (which was never anywhere else) and I think included that line.

Here's the correct title of the song, along with a link to a retrospective video: I'm So Glad I'm Standing Here Today. I had the CD this came from and sadly left in the CD player of a rental car somewhere. I must replace it soon, since I love this song. (There's a wonderful memory associated with it too concerning seeing Joe perform this live on the Grammy's - and someone should find footage of that somewhere, since it was amazing - but it's sappy, so I'll refrain. Also since that performance and this song single-handedly rejuvenated Joe's career and gave us so many more wonderful songs, it'll forever be my favorite.)

The words also remind me of Dean and Sam - mostly the verses, but the chorus could apply if they ever finally get that "win" - which is where I would imagine this song going.

Another choice - but unfortunately somewhat over-used would be "Feelin' Alright." And I'm really surprised they haven't had a "gentleman's club" scene yet with "You Can Leave Your Hat On" since that song is just perfect, imo.

• Love 1

Oh yeah, I'm totally on-board with almost anything Joe Cocker!

rue721, on 29 Jan 2015 - 2:52 PM, said:

Any blues musicians/bands/songs in particular?

I ask partially because I love blues but just listen to whatever I stumble on, so I'm always on the lookout for recs :)

I'm really bad at this--so many options, so many--but I'll give it a go.

Obvious choice would be Robert Johnson (Travelin' Riverside Blues, Malted Milk, Milkcow's Calf Blues are a couple of my favs, but there's really so much to choose from). Eric Clapton did a tribute album to Robert Johnson titled "Me and Mr. Johnson" a few years ago that I rather love (unfortunately I no longer have this album, but that's a rather long story for another day) --I thought it stayed true to Johnson's music and also brought a modern sound. It also could fit nicely with the tone of the show. Many Johnson's songs were covered by Zeppelin, but I actually kinda prefer this version of Travelin' Riverside Blues--one of Dean's favorite songs.

Fairly fond of Blind Willie Johnson, Elmore James, Bo Diddley, Willie Dixon, B.B. King and Muddy Waters too. I Am The Blues could've fit perfectly with Demon Dean, IMO...

On the female side of things (this show could stand for some more womanly singing, IMO) Billie Holiday would be a given, but also I adore Bessie Smith...

Something more modern? Keb Mo kinda tickles my fancy at times...

And although not blues, but obviously heavily influenced by it, I'm kinda in love with The Dead Weather lately. There's a lot of options with these guys for Supernatural, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obpR_aRHNak

• Love 1

Okay, I'm on deadline (late actually) and you guys post all this music candy?! Bad. Bad.  This means I either do my job (grumble) or enjoy myself. *flounces out of thread because...bills*

• Love 3

I feel your pain SueB I was reading this discussion at work yesterday (ahem, I was waiting for something, yep that's it) and my computer there has no sound card.  Most frustrating!

I've been enjoying all the suggestions and I want to thank rue721 for recommending The Heavy (and posting the vids). I wasn't familiar with the band, but am loving the sound!

As the show has referenced both Blondie and The Ramones, they'd be appropriate choices, but I can't bring to mind any thing specific.  Maybe someone else can?

• Love 2
(edited)

The Ramones, you say...

How about I Want To Be Sedated for Dean's current attempts to overcome the Mark?

Let's Go is a good classic that could work for almost anything really!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJ-bTIKJaQ&index=10&list=PLdHL2tfhDRp19BC9WN9dXRy5Vmu-Q_cYR

And Pet Cemetery never fails to make me think of this show. If nothing else, I always hear Dean saying "C'mon...haven't you ever seen Pet Cemetery" In Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

I've been enjoying all the suggestions and I want to thank rue721 for recommending The Heavy (and posting the vids). I wasn't familiar with the band, but am loving the sound!

Yay! I'm glad you like them. If you like those songs, you might especially like Curse Me Good and Same Ol'. I thought about posting videos for those songs, too, but figured maybe I shouldn't flood the board with The Heavy videos :P.

For Blondie, my pick would be "X Offender" (and Blondie really did play it at CBGB! Before Dean was even born because he has weird taste in music but what can ya do!):

Something more modern? Keb Mo kinda tickles my fancy at times...

Thanks for the recs, DittyDotDot! I love Keb Mo, he's got such a beautiful voice, he always sounds so kind.

I think I would have liked There's No Place Like Home so much better if they'd closed with this song instead of with those corny instrumentals:

DDD, speaking of Muddy Waters, have you heard R.L. Burnside's "Someday Baby"? (He samples Muddy Waters pretty heavily in it). I love "Someday Baby," one of my all time favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlUe1ueDgrk

Ok, so these aren't blues (although they're possibly blues-adjacent? folk? I don't know what genre these are, to be honest), but I think they should still be added to the list of "would be awesome on SPN" songs!

The Civil Wars's "Devil's Backbone"

Shayfer James's "Weight Of The World" (I love the lyrics to this one)

Also, this is strange, but I always think of Bobby when I hear Elizabeth Cotten's "Shake Sugaree."

• Love 1
(edited)

I love The Civil Wars, rue. They're technically listed as Alternative, but I'm not sure it really suits them. So much music crosses genres, I have a hard time labeling lots of it, myself.

I read a very silly book a couple years back that could be a fun premise for a Supernatural episode. This guy did a kind of historical musical scavenger hunt across the country. It started in Louisiana and the blues and old folk music; then he traveled to Nashville because country music was really spurned from those two; then to Memphis for the early days of Rock 'n Roll; then to Detroit for classic rock; Philadelphia for pop music; New York for punk; then Seattle for the alternative/grunge movement. I have no idea how they would get it to work or what the monster could be, but it is a road show and music was once a very integral part of the viewing experience...could make for an interesting episode.

ETA: Love Elizabeth Cotton too! I always thought The Gambler suited Bobby rather well, but I may have to rethink this.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

For Blondie, my pick would be "X Offender" (and Blondie really did play it at CBGB! Before Dean was even born because he has weird taste in music but what can ya do!):

I actually went to CBGB many years ago, when I was in college.  A friend's band was playing there.  Let me say one thing about it.  The bathrooms were the most disgusting thing ever!   But I'm glad I got to experience it, especially now that it's closed.

I obviously have different tastes in music than most of you, as I don't really listen to blues.  Having said that, I kind of liked the songs you posted!

• Love 1
I read a very silly book a couple years back that could be a fun premise for a Supernatural episode. This guy did a kind of historical musical scavenger hunt across the country. It started in Louisiana and the blues and old folk music; then he traveled to Nashville because country music was really spurned from those two; then to Memphis for the early days of Rock 'n Roll; then to Detroit for classic rock; Philadelphia for pop music; New York for punk; then Seattle for the alternative/grunge movement.

I absolutely love that idea! Seriously, that's fantastic. Could *that* please be a mytharc? So much more enjoyable than this angels-and-demons BS :P

Any suggestions for what that journey's playlist could be?!

And don't forget to include DC go go! (Harrumph!) (Just playing -- growing up, go go was totally "dad" music to me, albeit not *my* dad's music because my dad's taste in music is kind of...I don't even know. He just puts on the radio and whatever's on is on, tbh).

"Welcome to DC the DMV!" (FIFY, Mambo Sauce :P)

Some *classic* Go Go ("Hey Fellas" by Trouble Funk) -- I wish they would play *this* next time the guys are trying to get the hook up! Wouldn't it have been fun for this to have played in Slice Girls?

I actually went to CBGB many years ago, when I was in college.  A friend's band was playing there.  Let me say one thing about it.  The bathrooms were the most disgusting thing ever!   But I'm glad I got to experience it, especially now that it's closed.

I obviously have different tastes in music than most of you, as I don't really listen to blues.  Having said that, I kind of liked the songs you posted!

Why does NYC have such nasty bathrooms, I don't even get it? I have gone in a freaking *squat toilet Porta Potty* (and YES they do make those for some reason), and the only bathroom where I have ever straight up thought, "no, I'll just hold it," and walked right out of was at the Rockefeller Center ice rink. Not even going to describe what was so disgusting about it because obviously nobody wants details on that but DAMN.

What music do you like, ItsABear? And, what other songs would you nominate for the "wouldn't this be awesome on SPN" list? I have a feeling they're likely to be new to me :)

While we're at it, another possible nomination for that list:  "Better Dig Two" by The Band Perry. I think it's technically a pop-country song, or at least it was all over the country stations for a while there, and obviously would *never* be on the show. And I don't even know what kind of scene/episode it would be good for. BUT! It's got that same upbeat/sinister thing going on that I think fits SPN's tone when SPN is at its best.

I have no idea how they would get it to work or what the monster could be, but it is a road show and music was once a very integral part of the viewing experience...could make for an interesting episode.

When it comes to their musical choices, I actually wonder what kind of tone the writers want to strike, currently? I feel like, in a weird way, the show has become terrified of irony, and that's reflected in their song choices and in their faux!orchestral show-created music. Not that SPN was ever exceptionally heavy on the irony (maybe "irony" is the wrong word?), but things seem so on-the-nose and over-explained now, and the music seems similarly heavy-handed to me. I wish that the music would grow up**** *and* lighten up, if that makes sense?

Well anyway, speaking of genres! If I were the composer for the show, aside from the classics (and if they want to go "lighter" with the classic rock I would be going more toward the Eagles than toward Genesis, YMMV), I would dabble with:

-- Old school R&B and hip hop/rap for Dean (everything from TLC to Tupac to 50Cent could be interesting, imo!)

-- Neo-soul for Sam (a la the Heavy -- and for sappier moments, maybe in the direction of Adele?)

-- Peppy reggae and funk for Cas (for a start, I would love to hear good old Bob Marley for him!)

-- Every time I hear Amy Winehouse I think of Crowley. (Maybe also country pop/rock? I can actually hear that Band Perry song fitting him pretty well, though who with, I don't know!)

-- Plus, I'd be using electric blues guitar for the little transition/incidental musical riffs.

What about you guys?

****"Grow up" isn't really fair, but I think the show has always had "soul," and that's what made it into such a "cult hit." Part of that "soul" came from the leads' chemistry, part of it came the atmosphere (including the music), imo, but I'm not sure where it came from entirely. Some artwork has "soul" and some doesn't, and for whatever reason imo SPN really did have it. But it's almost like it has it in spite of TPTB? Which I don't understand at all, because I doubt that TPTB (such as Carver) are intentionally trying to exterminate that and they know the show best, so...Well anyway, since what I like about the show is that I feel like it has "soul" I wish they used music that felt like it has "soul," too. Not to be confused with the genre. :P Though I'd be fine if they decided to play Soul music, too, lol.

Edited by rue721

Why does NYC have such nasty bathrooms, I don't even get it? I have gone in a freaking *squat toilet Porta Potty* (and YES they do make those for some reason), and the only bathroom where I have ever straight up thought, "no, I'll just hold it," and walked right out of was at the Rockefeller Center ice rink. Not even going to describe what was so disgusting about it because obviously nobody wants details on that but DAMN.

What music do you like, ItsABear? And, what other songs would you nominate for the "wouldn't this be awesome on SPN" list? I have a feeling they're likely to be new to me :)

I've been to nice bathrooms in NYC, but CBGBs stands out to me, over 20 years later as nasty.  There was pretty cool graffiti everywhere, though.

Most of my music is still what I listened to in college and right after.  I was into punk in college and then post-punk/alternative and some heavy metal, but it is hard to "Rage Against the Machine" when you drive carpool in a minivan.  I like the Clash, Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Green Day, etc.   Filter came on Songza today, and I thought that would fit in good with Supernatural.  

http://youtu.be/o9mJ82x_l-E

White Zombie's More Human than Human would be great for the current Dean storyline.  http://youtu.be/E0E0ynyIUsg  I know they've used White Zombie before, but I really like that song.

And I really wish they'd use Nine Inch Nails.  I think That's What I Get would be great, but honestly, anything would be good.   Hurt would be very poignant also for the MoC story. 

The only more recent stuff I'm familiar with is either pop stuff my son listens to or if I happen to hear it by accident.  I really like Muse, having first heard the song Supermassive Black Hole on Doctor Who.  That is how I find music lately, via soundtrack, it seems!

• Love 1

FYI! I was out playing pool late last night, and when "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey came on NOT A SOUL sang along. I even looked around the whole bar area to make sure and NOPE not a one. So maybe the times are changing!

Also, yesterday I had 90s R&B playing because don't I always, and this is a song that made me think:  hmmmmm, this would never ever be used on SPN not in a million years, but it weirdly just reminds me of Dean for some reason. Yes, I know it's bizarre but literally every time I hear it I think that (really nobody else thinks so? LOL probably not, I'm probably the only one who even listens to this anymore!):

Here's a jazzier, newer cover. I don't like it as much, though:

Oh, and here's an odd acapella version:

And I really wish they'd use Nine Inch Nails.  I think That's What I Get would be great, but honestly, anything would be good.   Hurt would be very poignant also for the MoC story.

How do you feel about the Johnny Cash cover of "Hurt"? I don't like it and to be honest, it kind of ruined NIN's "Hurt" for me, because the lyrics just don't work as well imo when they're supposed to be so heavy and unironic, like how Cash sings the song. But the Johnny Cash cover seems like it *should* be good, so...?

I like NIN and Muse, but all their songs end up sounding the same to me. "Closer" and "Starlight" are huge favorites of mine but they're the only songs I listen to by those bands anymore.

Do you like MGMT? They're sorta in the same vein as Muse, I think? (If you haven't seen it before, the video for this song is really cute, too, imo).

Oh, and here's my favorite version of "Hurt" (most disturbing video I've ever seen in my life):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgZ2GJOeQKA

How do you feel about the Johnny Cash cover of "Hurt"? I don't like it and to be honest, it kind of ruined NIN's "Hurt" for me, because the lyrics just don't work as well imo when they're supposed to be so heavy and unironic, like how Cash sings the song. But the Johnny Cash cover seems like it *should* be good, so...?

I like NIN and Muse, but all their songs end up sounding the same to me. "Closer" and "Starlight" are huge favorites of mine but they're the only songs I listen to by those bands anymore.

Do you like MGMT? They're sorta in the same vein as Muse, I think? (If you haven't seen it before, the video for this song is really cute, too, imo).

I've never heard the Johnny Cash cover, and now I don't know that I plan on looking it up.  And the Kermit version you posted was just too strange! 

Of all the NIN songs, Closer is probably my least favorite.  My favorite is probably Head Like a Hole, followed closely by Hurt.  I love all the songs on Pretty Hate Machine, though.  It reminds me of college.  I saw NIN at Lollapalooza sometime shortly after I graduated, I can't remember exactly when.

For Muse, Starlight and Panic Station are probably my two favorites.

I couldn't watch the MGMT video you posted.  The crying baby made me so sad.  My son had bad colic when he was a baby, now every time I see a baby cry, I get so emotional.

Edited by ItsABear
How do you feel about the Johnny Cash cover of "Hurt"?

For me, I prefer the Johnny Cash version, but it might be because I was a mid - later teen in the early 80s and therefore do not have any attachment to most 90s music. And I also have to admit that it might have something to do with the style of Johnny Cash's "Hurt" reminding me of this promo for Supernatural from back in the day. That likely has something to do with it.

(As an aside ItsABear, your screen name is reminding me of Spike, and when I see it I hear Spike in my head saying it and then sayin "You made a Bear! Undo it! Undo it!" I have issues.)

I've never heard the Johnny Cash cover, and now I don't know that I plan on looking it up.  And the Kermit version you posted was just too strange! 

Of all the NIN songs, Closer is probably my least favorite.  My favorite is probably Head Like a Hole, followed closely by Hurt.  I love all the songs on Pretty Hate Machine, though.  It reminds me of college.  I saw NIN at Lollapalooza sometime shortly after I graduated, I can't remember exactly when.

For Muse, Starlight and Panic Station are probably my two favorites.

I couldn't watch the MGMT video you posted.  The crying baby made me so sad.  My son had bad colic when he was a baby, now every time I see a baby cry, I get so emotional.

My problem with Johnny Cash is that I always feel like I should like him more than I do. I really like covers of his songs! One of my favorite songs of all time is the Everlast cover of Folsom Prison Blues (I know I've linked it on here before?). But Johnny Cash himself never does it for me, Idk. Guess I just don't like his voice or something. So anyway, you might like his Hurt cover! I was just bound not to like it just because it's Johnny Cash, probably.

Sorry for posting the MGMT video and bringing you down! They're probably too pop-y for your taste anyway? No more crying babies, got it!

There are a bunch of sad!Kermit covers online. How weird, right? I don't dare watch any more though. That Kermit cover is seriously edging right up to the line of "too dark" for me. What I find kind of mind-bending is the attention to detail. When he's puking up the pills and there are dead bugs in the toilet? Y'know, because he's a frog? LOL. Not even going to go into that beating off sequence!

Anyway, you're right about "Head Like a Hole," that's a good song. I think I just overplayed Pretty Hate Machine and maybe NIN generally. There was a time when I loved NIN, but after a while all the songs started to blend together for me. Maybe around that time when Trent Reznor put out that new album for free so that fans could have fun making remixes and things? That album just sounded like such a rehash that it kind of disillusioned me on all his music. How can you not like "Closer" though?! It's embarrassing to say I guess, but imo it's such a hot song.

By the way, do you listen to Black Sabbath? They're probably my favorite metal band (OK, quasi-metal. Maybe-metal). I absolutely love so many of their songs. My favorite is probably "War Pigs," but to be honest, you could play me basically anything of theirs and I'll probably love it. LOL after saying that "Closer" is a hot song, now I'm wondering if there is a single Black Sabbath song that could qualify as hot -- absolutely zero are coming to mind!

For me, I prefer the Johnny Cash version, but it might be because I was a mid - later teen in the early 80s and therefore do not have any attachment to most 90s music. And I also have to admit that it might have something to do with the style of Johnny Cash's "Hurt" reminding me of this promo for Supernatural from back in the day. That likely has something to do with it.

Really nice promo -- but UGH that song. Again, I feel like I *should* like it. It comes on my Pandora all the time. And always while I'm running, so I don't really know how to skip it. That song and Norah Jones's "Don't Know Why" are the bane of my running playlist!

But...really nice promo.

That song and Norah Jones's "Don't Know Why" are the bane of my running playlist!

Oh don't get me started on Nora Jones - I remember that someone here really likes her, so I apologize in advance. I still remember there was that Grammy's where she won like 4 Grammys or something and I was really annoyed because I liked most of the other nominees better. (I think around that time I stopped watching the awards altogether.) But then again I don't often agree with the Grammy winners. I think it's funny for example that Bon Jovi has a Grammy... but for a country song (it's their only one). There's something kinda wrong about that.

I'm also not going to ask why Nora Jones would be on your running playlist. When I hear her songs, I generally want to fall asleep. Hehe. I gave up listening to music while walking. I like to use the time now to "veg out" and let my brain think of stuff I don't normally have time to think about and/or I write in my head. I can't imagine power walking and having a song I didn't like come on that I couldn't change and so being annoyed for like 3 to 4 minutes - heh - I'd hate that.

I'm also not going to ask why Nora Jones would be on your running playlist. When I hear her songs, I generally want to fall asleep. Hehe.

The Pandora station I listen to while I'm running is some sort of neo-soul/blues/rock-and-roll-adjacent mashup? I don't even remember what it started out as, but that's what it's become! Lots of Amy Winehouse, Nina Simone, The Heavy, with some Ray Charles or Portishead or The Submarines or RJD2 or whoever mixed in. I love when this song comes on (annnnnnnnd this always makes me think of Dean's life with Lisa and Ben):

Here's another good one that should be pretty familiar!

Norah Jones has a gorgeous voice and all, but for running music, I need either a heavier beat or more passion or both! I was fumbling with my headphones for at least a quarter mile when "Don't Know Why" came on yet again today -- finally just had to give up.

I gave up listening to music while walking. I like to use the time now to "veg out" and let my brain think of stuff I don't normally have time to think about and/or I write in my head. I can't imagine power walking and having a song I didn't like come on that I couldn't change and so being annoyed for like 3 to 4 minutes - heh - I'd hate that.

What I like about running is that I zone out -- my mind just wonders or goes blank. (Unless the wrong song comes on and shakes me out of it! :P). It's like a vacation from the inside of your head. Music helps get me there -- without it, I'm too liable to pay attention to every little thing around me and not let myself loosen up.

(edited)

I've never really cared for the Nine Inch Nails version of Hurt--I don't hold the Johnny Cash version especially dear either, but I do like it.  Personally, the only version of Hurt that I've ever been really drawn to (other than that Kermit one--thanks for that rue) is this one I happened across by Eddie Vedder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPyvNUwhQoI.

I think Johnny Cash is an acquired taste. I heard him all the time when growing up so have a sort of nostalgia thing about him. However, some things really hit for me--Folsom Prison Blues, When The Man Comes Around, Man Named Sue, Man in Black and much of his spiritual stuff--and others not so much--loathe Ring Of Fire like you wouldn't believe and if I never hear Jackson again I could die a happy woman.

However, I think Johnny Cash's music and sound captures Dean, IMO. Not just the lyrics, but Cash's voice and his arrangements have a very Dean quality to them. There's an inherit outlaw/clarity/black and white/purity of thought quality to Johnny Cash's music--I think it's the driving bass and the rhythm--that never fails to make me think of Dean when I hear:

Gawd, this could go on and on and on, so I'll just end with a bit of fun...a song for John: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQmfPZUmHk (not Johnny Cash, but gives me a chuckle anyway.)

As an aside, I have a favor to ask, can we try and just post links to the videos in here rather than imbedding the video, it's taking me forever to load this thread. Sorry to be such an impatient pain in the ass!

ETA: I forgot the most fun of all...The General Lee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0m0hTrtlWM

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2
(edited)

My previous post got me to thinking what would musically represent Sam to me. Where Dean has an old soul quality to him, I think of Sam as a young soul. Okay, it's not because he's the younger brother, but he always feels like he's still growing up and learning lessons. Somehow Dean feels like he was born into this world with the knowledge of five lifetimes, whereas Sam feels like this is his first go around. Probably still not making sense, sorry.

Anyway, I realized I generally think of Sam when I hear Pearl Jam --again, I think its a combination of the sound of Eddie Vedder's voice, rhythm and lyrics. It's got an inherent messiness and chaotic nature to it, but also very introstpective. For instance:

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

Anyway, I realized I generally think of Sam when I hear Pearl Jam --again, I think its a combination of the sound of Eddie Vedder's voice, rhythm and lyrics. It's got an inherent messiness and chaotic nature to it, but also very introstpective.

This cracks me up, because I think of Pearl Jam as such frat boy music. Though that's probably appropriate for Sam!

Pearl Jam is like Johnny Cash to me personally, though -- I *should* like it, and get why other people like it, and have tried hard to like it (I even own a bunch of both Pearl Jam and Johnny Cash songs) but in the end...just not my thing, I guess.

My problems with Johnny Cash are:  something about his voice just has this douche-y tone to it to me, and his songs (as performed by him) are just impossible to dance to. I have no idea why I can't do Pearl Jam, though.

But OK grunge/post-grunge can completely work for Sam. This is a joke, but...it's also actually a good song. So what about this for Sam, S4 (Gorillaz, "Clint Eastwood").

ETA:

Another Sam, S4 song:  Gorillaz, "Feel Good."

Edited by rue721