Type keyword(s) to search

Janet Wood: Flower Power

Who just loved Janet?  

I grew up a short brunette about 8 miles from Joyce DeWitt's hometown of Speedway, Indiana, so I was very familiar with her.  My grandpa worked with her dad at the local factory.

She was smart, professional and beautiful, exactly what I wanted to be, but, with my plain looks, was never convinced I would be.  My favorite episodes were always the ones where Janet learns that she is valued, despite her not being tall or buxom. 

Did anyone not fall in love with Jack when he danced with Janet at the end of the episode where Michael Bell the dance instructor dumped her?

• Love 2

It was so clear throughout the show that Janet and Jack should end up together at the end.  I am still annoyed it didn't end that way.  Janet was my favorite.

• Love 2

You are not the only one that thought so.  When I saw the E! True Hollywood Story episode focusing on TC, I laughed at the notion that Jack & Janet on "Three's A Crowd" wouldn't have worked.  The story goes that Jack & Janet were rejected because the premise of TAC was that Jack's girlfriend's father was going to be a foil to their relationship, that we'd met Janet's father already and he was okay with her living with Jack.

I thought that was dumb.  Janet's father accepted Jack the Platonic Roommate who slept in a separate bedroom and provided some form of protection for his daughter.  That doesn't mean he would have accepted Jack and Janet living together romantically.

• Love 1

It was so clear throughout the show that Janet and Jack should end up together at the end.  I am still annoyed it didn't end that way.  Janet was my favorite.

I completely agree. Always loved Janet the best and she was the voice of reason, just plain awesome and beautiful to boot! So many times, the interactions between Jack and Janet were so flirty and fun and they had so much chemistry together. They should have ended up together, absolutely.

I confess, I did watch Three's a Crowd and enjoyed it, but the girlfriend (Julie?) was never as interesting or had the chemistry with Jack as Janet did. What a waste.

I would suspect that since Joyce DeWitt wasn't a tall buxon blonde, the powers that be thought that the viewing public wouldn't want to see her with Jack. Just consider their casting of Chrissy, Cindy and Terri (though I loved Terri the best out of these three by a large margin). What a mistake.

• Love 1

You are not the only one that thought so. When I saw the E! True Hollywood Story episode focusing on TC, I laughed at the notion that Jack & Janet on "Three's A Crowd" wouldn't have worked. The story goes that Jack & Janet were rejected because the premise of TAC was that Jack's girlfriend's father was going to be a foil to their relationship, that we'd met Janet's father already and he was okay with her living with Jack.

I thought that was dumb. Janet's father accepted Jack the Platonic Roommate who slept in a separate bedroom and provided some form of protection for his daughter. That doesn't mean he would have accepted Jack and Janet living together romantically.

What's so dumb about that argument is they literally could have continued the same story with Jack and Janet pretending they're "just roommates" for Janet's dad.

• Love 1

Different times. If this was being pitched today (obviously the premise would then be no big deal but just go with it), there's no way the showrunners wouldn't at least tease Jack and Janet, and would probably make them endgame in the long run.

• Love 1
On 4/29/2015 at 8:40 AM, Wordsworth said:

When I saw the E! True Hollywood Story episode focusing on TC. . .

If you've never seen this, and you are a fan of Three's Company, then do yourself a favor and go online and watch it.  So many small details are nicely done.  In the beginning, the network executives are talking about new contracts for John, Joyce, and Suzanne.  The negotiations come down to,

"Whatever's fair."

How that changed later on!

On 5/14/2015 at 2:24 PM, FozzyBear said:
On 4/29/2015 at 10:40 AM, Wordsworth said:

thought that was dumb. Janet's father accepted Jack the Platonic Roommate who slept in a separate bedroom and provided some form of protection for his daughter. That doesn't mean he would have accepted Jack and Janet living together romantically.

What's so dumb about that argument is they literally could have continued the same story with Jack and Janet pretending they're "just roommates" for Janet's dad.

ITA! There was a lot they could have done with this storyline, but for whatever reason they chose not to go there. I'm still disappointed to this day, and I think a lot of people feel they same. TPTB never seem to understand that when two main characters get together, it doesn't necessarily have to become "boring." There are plenty of challenges in a relationship that can be addressed.

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, SnarkySheep said:

ITA! There was a lot they could have done with this storyline, but for whatever reason they chose not to go there. I'm still disappointed to this day, and I think a lot of people feel they same. TPTB never seem to understand that when two main characters get together, it doesn't necessarily have to become "boring." There are plenty of challenges in a relationship that can be addressed.

There was also the part in the book where Joyce said she probably wouldn't choose to work with those producers again, but I agree with you in thinking their reasoning for not doing it is dumb. Like all of you have said just because Janet's dad was okay with Jack in the early seasons it doesn't mean he would be okay with Jack dating and living with his daughter. In fact it might be a more of an issue if he felt Janet had lied to him or misrepresented her relationship with Jack all those years.

If they really needed a family member to be an antagonist, Janet had a mother and a sister, and I believe a brother, too, didn't she?

But their "relationship obstacles" certainly didn't need to be limited to people who disapproved. From a writer's perspective, there would be lots of opportunity for fresh material - their constant lack of money, the typical landlord/renter issues, the typical male/female issues, and just plain personality differences, as IMO Jack and Janet were fundamentally pretty different from one another. And that's just off the top of my head!

• Love 1

Janet is my favorite of the original characters. I think I like her more in the earlier seasons though.

And as someone else said, Jack and Janet ending up together at the end of the show's run would have been interesting, to say the least.