Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Dallas Qualifiers

• Start Topic

She did a very impressive run; especially on the Ring boards that took down so many others. I almost expected to see more experimentation with that obstacle (maybe someone trying to flip around as they did it) but realized the way we saw was about the only way to do it. (Flipping would mean changing your grip too often, meaning more chance of letting go). She's pretty much got a guaranteed Wild Card slot now, with a chance to get through on the finals as well. 

(edited)

She did a very impressive run; especially on the Ring boards that took down so many others. I almost expected to see more experimentation with that obstacle (maybe someone trying to flip around as they did it) but realized the way we saw was about the only way to do it. (Flipping would mean changing your grip too often, meaning more chance of letting go). She's pretty much got a guaranteed Wild Card slot now, with a chance to get through on the finals as well. 

You mean a Wild Card to Vegas, not a Wild Card to the Regional Finals (since she's already qualified for those)?  To my memory it's just three rounds (Qualifiers, Regional Finals, then Vegas, broken down by the stages there).

Of course she's done the Vegas course before, so really the only thing that's changed is that she got 1 step closer to getting there without special status.

Edited by Kromm

That's what I meant. She has a chance to make it to Vegas legit, but even if she doesn't, she's going there with the Wild Card.

I didn't think she's ever made it to Vegas before (wildcard or not). I thought the woman who made it there last year failed on the tilting bridge, and nearly wrecked her shoulder in the process? 

(edited)

That's what I meant. She has a chance to make it to Vegas legit, but even if she doesn't, she's going there with the Wild Card.

I didn't think she's ever made it to Vegas before (wildcard or not). I thought the woman who made it there last year failed on the tilting bridge, and nearly wrecked her shoulder in the process? 

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't they invite a bunch of women?  I recall five or six, and I'm reasonably sure Catanzaro would have been in that group.  They did the same thing with other contestants (an old guy or two, and a bunch of other "special cases" who'd done flashy or memorable stuff in the earlier rounds).  There was, overall, I believe a full hundred people they let do the Vegas course (a lot of it was compressed in that finale episode, the same way they do with the earlier ones) and like a fifth of that were Wildcards.

Edited by Kromm

It's possible. I'm horrible with names and faces on a good day, so if I didn't hear it in the intro (before I FFed to the first stage of the course), I wouldn't make the link otherwise. 

Pretty sure Katy went out in Vegas 1st round at the trampoline to spider wall last season. It was sad to see Brent not even make it through the qualifiers. He really got tripped up in the rings especially when he had both rings on 1 peg. If he was able to quick think of switching his hands on the rings he might have made it through. I was impress with Sam Sahn's swing to the cargo net with holding onto 1 chain. I did like the woman who lost weight and trains in Sam's gym and the woman who couldn't do the warped wall last season but went out injuring her shoulder on a new obsticle.

A woman did the Warped Wall! Now we can get on with our lives!!!

Seriously, though, good on her. And it was a good two hours . . . good enough to make me DVR The Boondocks, though that's mostly because it's a carwreck visible from space at this point.

Did anybody else laugh at the poor guy who barely completed the Barrel Drop (I can't remember the exact name), only to take the barrel to the head and go into the water? That was funny . . . though you'd think the American producers would try to make obstacles that would be safer. I don't remember too many instances of injury on Sasuke.

I was excited that a woman managed to make it through the whole thing. I confess I was on the edge of my seat for her. Since I only found this show last year, I haven't been hit over the head with the constant 'a woman has never made it through' repetition. I did notice that her 5.something minutes was almost double what all the guys finished at. I like that women are being challenged to do this and that they aren't given a special course (easier) just for them. 

That table obstacle, took out 3 or more racers' shoulders? Yikes. 

Pretty sure Katy went out in Vegas 1st round at the trampoline to spider wall last season. It was sad to see Brent not even make it through the qualifiers. He really got tripped up in the rings especially when he had both rings on 1 peg. If he was able to quick think of switching his hands on the rings he might have made it through. I was impress with Sam Sahn's swing to the cargo net with holding onto 1 chain. I did like the woman who lost weight and trains in Sam's gym and the woman who couldn't do the warped wall last season but went out injuring her shoulder on a new obsticle.

Vegas "first round" is still Vegas.  It's an all or nothing thing now, where getting there means running stage 1 of that course (and then the vast majority of them fail on stage 1).

There is no need for Brent to bother attempting to be walk on.   If I recall correctly, he didn't qualify last year either.   He participated in Vegas in one of the wild card spots.   

There is no need for Brent to bother attempting to be walk on.   If I recall correctly, he didn't qualify last year either.   He participated in Vegas in one of the wild card spots.   

Yeah, which on one level emphasizes the unfairness of that whole process anyway.  Why even bother HAVING qualifiers if certain people get by all of the time anyway?

I know there's a gender equality perception thing, but for women I think they should have had a separate tally board all along and just run mens and women's competitions separately (on the same broadcasts, mind you, but with their own stats and own set of winners). If it's a process that's good enough for The Olympics and every major competitive sport, then it's good enough for ANW.

Kromm . . . like a Kunoichi-style show for females? Sounds good to me . . . though few things were as funny as watching the lady sumo wrestler try -- and fail -- to get past the first obstacle all the time.

Kromm . . . like a Kunoichi-style show for females? Sounds good to me . . . though few things were as funny as watching the lady sumo wrestler try -- and fail -- to get past the first obstacle all the time.

No, not a separate show.  The SAME show, just with separate male and female tally boards.  I wouldn't even change what they do.  Just pass through the top females based on their standings against OTHER women.  That way you can do away with the whole insulting Wild Carding process for Vegas.  Just put through the women who earn it vs. other women, and don't act like it's some accommodation.

I get that Brent is a legend and he should have done better but even he admitted he had a bad year last year too. He's obviously a great coach -- his Gf was the first female to complete the qualifier and his protégée had the fastest time of the night. He may have to make the choice between training a new group of elites or focusing on his own success.

What happened to his Alpha Warrior franchise? He and Kasey still wear shirts but the website hasn't been updated in forever.

I was excited that a woman managed to make it through the whole thing. I confess I was on the edge of my seat for her.

Except they gave it away even during the promo last week, so I was completely expecting it.  Not having a woman complete it would have been the shocker.  I guess the only question was who it would be and as the field narrowed, that because obvious too.

I'm very happy she made it and loved seeing how happy she was once she knew she made the Wall.  Great moment.  Great smile.  Sorry about the boyfriend, though. 

(edited)

Except they gave it away even during the promo last week, so I was completely expecting it.  Not having a woman complete it would have been the shocker. 

Actually I don't think they did, because I remember the same kind of relentless "will a woman complete" teases last season.  So I kind of shrugged this year hearing them and said "I dunno?"

Edited by Kromm

The Esquire Channel is re-running the qualifying episodes, so I finally saw this yesterday. 

I was so impressed with Sam Sann hurting his ankle and managing to complete the course anyway, on one foot.  Olympic gymast Jonathan Horton almost made it, too.  He was totally disgusted with himself that he went out on the rings, of all places.  If he's healthy next year - watch out, course!

Bummer for Nika Mukelroy.  That looked excruciating, too.  :(

Obviously, the suspense was lacking for me, because I knew Kacy made it, but i was really struck by all of these delighted smiles on the faces of those who watched her finally get up that wall.  It's great to see such camaraderie between all of the contestants.  I hope that never changes.