Type keyword(s) to search

When is a good time to start watching?

NoahC
  • Start Topic

So, I've noticed Doctor Who is very popular. I originally thought is was a show like Dr. Phil or something, so I ignored it. But recently, I realized it is a science fiction series. I read a little about the show, and it seems cool. But I also noticed it has dozens of seasons! So my question is, which season would be a good place to start watching? 

• Love 4

The first of the rebooted series, Rose. Everything you need to know is right there. And if you like that, you can go back and explore old stuff as it's raised in the new series.

However, don't expect it to ever get too grim and serious, like say BSG. It's generally somewhat light and crazy. Also, the special effects are sometimes... less than special. If you can forgive that, welcome aboard.

• Love 3

Agree to starting with Rose. My son has been a Doctor Who fanatic for a while now and finally begged me to start watching with him. He started at Rose with me and we are now into the 11th Doctor. Give the show time to grow on you. As mentioned, some of the special effects are VERY cheese (but that's part of its charm). Also know that you will hate with a passion each new Doctor and each new companion - at least for a little while. Keep pressing onward, however, as each one has his own charm and personality that you will understand. Each companion seems to bring something new to the table as well. Happy watching!

• Love 5
(edited)

Whatever you do don't start with 10 and Martha. 10 is a bit depressed at times that it kind of makes that relationship not as bonding as the other companions. Start with the first New Who episode Rose or start with The empty Child (Jack Harkness's first episode) and go into 9's final Arc.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 2

Doctor Who is definitely one of my top favorite shows also, it tends to bring out something good in you that if not forgotten, was at least hidden away. 

For Season 1 episodes, I also recommend Rose, though if you don't have time to watch all of it (it grows on you, but not all episodes are needed to understand the full show), probably S01E07 (The Long Game) sets the stage for the Jack Harkness and Nine's final arc (so episodes 9, 10, 12, 13).  How much time do you have to watch?  

• Love 3

The correct answer is that you should start watching TONIGHT. There's always the chance you can catch up for the new episodes in August.

The episode that everyone agrees on is the first of Doctor #9.

t8JqkET.jpg

• Love 9

Oh yeah The Long Game is probably needed. Imo it's not a starting point episode so yeah watch the whole first season starting with Rose. It's cool to watch Rose and 9's friendship. 

And the graphic is awesome Chip!!

• Love 2
(edited)

As someone who is not a fan of #9, I'm wary of telling people to start with the beginning of his run. I tried and wasn't into it. I only picked it back up after someone had me watch some of the tenth Doctor. So I advise people to start no earlier than "The Empty Child." I think the addition of Captain Jack makes it more palatable. But you could also start with the beginning of #10's run and be just fine, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Denay
  • Love 2

I love 9 but if you start to dislike 9, yeah start skipping episodes. I personally think the Empty Child and The Doctor dances are 2 of the best episodes of sci fi so I'm probably biased. I love 9 and Rose but I adore 9, Rose and Jack. And 10 with Rose <3 

• Love 2

Honestly, I've loved all of them so far, Nine, Ten, Eleven, can't wait for Twelve, Three, Four - I love my local library system!  Sure you will find faults, you will find what quirks you like or dislike, you will find which writers are your favorite and which writers whose episodes you still watch but only because it's Doctor Who.  Something about the show spanning so many years, so many countries, and so many cultures - it's something that brings people together into these odd little family-like communities.  Even then, each of these communities has the same quirks as the show.  I'm still trying to get my fiance hooked though - he's not a fan of the British humor side of it sadly or the "cheap" special effects of Classic Who.  Here's hoping I can get him hooked on Peter Capaldi!

• Love 3

I love all of the New who as well. I even love the Martha and 10 episodes. I think the doctor was so bitter during that time and it was hard to watch but I understood

because of losing Rose

. And I understand and appreciate even more so after knowing that Rose was probably his first companion after what happened with the War doctor. 

• Love 2
(edited)

My co-workers were always talking about Doctor Who, but I wasn't really interested. I was in a heavy Agatha Christie phase and I noticed BBC America marathoning the show, so I decided to watch The Unicorn & The Wasp. I was hooked from then on. I loved Donna and The Doctor together.

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 4

I agree with starting with Rose. I can't emphasize enough to stick with it though.  For the first 4 or so episodes I was like "What the hell??  Really? People are into this?"  By the 4th or 5th episode of the reboot I was addicted and started binge watching.  I got through all current seasons up to now.

I get it now. I totally get it.  I'm there with you all.  But it took me 4-5 episodes to really understand it.  Now, I can't let it go.

• Love 4

I agree with those who say start with Rose (Nine's first episode).  Every season and every Doctor has hit and miss moments

Personally I prefer Christopher Eccleston (who had me at "Hello, I'm The Doctor.  Run!) over David Tennant as I found he was a bit exhausting to watch.

I simply adore Matt Smith's "madman in a box" take on The Doctor.

The correct answer is that you should start watching TONIGHT. There's always the chance you can catch up for the new episodes in August.

The episode that everyone agrees on is the first of Doctor #9.

t8JqkET.jpg

Seeing that chart makes me a wee bit sad when I realize that so many of the earlier episodes are lost forever as the BBC never saved the film/tape - they recorded over them.

• Love 2

I agree with those who say start with Rose (Nine's first episode).  Every season and every Doctor has hit and miss moments

Personally I prefer Christopher Eccleston (who had me at "Hello, I'm The Doctor.  Run!) over David Tennant as I found he was a bit exhausting to watch.

I simply adore Matt Smith's "madman in a box" take on The Doctor.

Seeing that chart makes me a wee bit sad when I realize that so many of the earlier episodes are lost forever as the BBC never saved the film/tape - they recorded over them.

After what happened last year with The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear, never say never!  (Note to the new folks: someone found copies of them, literally, in a TV station in a remote part of Nigeria that is under rebel/terrorist control.  Those of us on the outside heard about "negotiations" for their return and thought the person who had them was being a dick, when the reality was his life was in very real danger.)

So far as starting points go, you can start with Nine, or you can start with Eleven (because I love the final bit with the Atraxi at the end of The Eleventh Hour), or you could even wait until August and start watching Twelve from the beginning with all of us!

(For the record, my own first episode was Logopolis.)

• Love 2

So thanks to everyone's suggestions here I've gone back and watched Rose. I started watching DW regularly on my own with 11.  I have to say I really like Nine and I like Rose. I know how things go once she hooks up with Ten, but right now, I like her. That first episode had me on the edge of my seat with those mannequins. At first I thought they were Weeping Angels, who just freak me out, but it was good enough for me to look forward to more episodes. Thanks everyone.

• Love 3

After what happened last year with The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear, never say never!  (Note to the new folks: someone found copies of them, literally, in a TV station in a remote part of Nigeria that is under rebel/terrorist control.  Those of us on the outside heard about "negotiations" for their return and thought the person who had them was being a dick, when the reality was his life was in very real danger.)

It's worth pointing out that Phil Morris didn't find these serials by chance - he has spent the last 7 years scouring remote TV relay stations and storehouses as part of a systematic search for lost television. It started as a wistful pipedream posted on a Doctor Who forum and turned into a major business venture (he offers an archiving service for local cultural media), which has also returned two episodes of Sky at Night, which weren't even known to have been distributed aboard, as well as a missing Morecambe and Wise (sadly beyond repair). A few years ago he was captured and held hostage in Africa for a period of time, so the danger to his life and wellbeing is very real and is part of the reason he's kept the details of his search largely secret.

Enemy of the World and Web of Fear were returned to the BBC by Phil Morris in time to be released as part of the 50th anniversary celebrations. Anything else he may have found remains shrouded in mystery, as - for reasons that shouldn't be too hard to understand - he's reluctant to discuss the outcome of his search until it is fully completed. Because of this secrecy, and because the nature of Doctor Who fans is what it is, the rumour mill at times spins out of control with wild and at times malicious conspiracy theories being formed. But really, we just have to be patient and wait for Phil to be ready to tell us if he's found anything else or if what we have is all there is ever going to be.

• Love 2

There are so many Doctor Who topics I'm not sure where to ask, so I'll try this one. I tried watching a few years ago and started getting interested but then an episode kind of grossed me out and I haven't watched since. I don't even remember which episode but I think it might be Queen Victoria? Agatha Christie? I was wondering if sickening, gross-out stuff is common with just some of the Docs or just a rare part of the series and I should try again? (I do realize sickening is subjective. I'm not a delicate little flower--I proudly say I have watched some episodes of Hannibal--and didn't throw up.)

• Love 1

I was in a heavy Agatha Christie phase and I noticed BBC America marathoning the show, so I decided to watch The Unicorn & The Wasp. I was hooked from then on. I loved Donna and The Doctor together.

That is one of my favorite episodes.  A murder mystery with a huge wasp as the culprit!  I absolutely adore Gareth Robert' episodes because of how funny, crazy, and touching they are.  I know he's a long shot, but I'm hoping for him to take over as show-runner when Moffat finally leaves.

As much as I like "Rose" I would actually start with "Father's Day" or the "Empty Child" two-parter.  I think the first season of new Who is very uneven and when I watched it, it wasn't until the last half of that season that I sort of "got" the show and understood what it was about.

That is one of my favorite episodes.  A murder mystery with a huge wasp as the culprit!  I absolutely adore Gareth Robert' episodes because of how funny, crazy, and touching they are.  I know he's a long shot, but I'm hoping for him to take over as show-runner when Moffat finally leaves.

As much as I like "Rose" I would actually start with "Father's Day" or the "Empty Child" two-parter.  I think the first season of new Who is very uneven and when I watched it, it wasn't until the last half of that season that I sort of "got" the show and understood what it was about.

The Unicorn and The Wasp has probably the single funnest scene in the recent Who ...... I crack up every time I see it.

• Love 4