Type keyword(s) to search

The Bob Newhart Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Mr. Carlin is the patient you're talking about, played by the late (great) Jack Riley. Who else loved Bob's wood-paneled office with the "a" and "z" bookends? I think that was the coziest office ever seen on TV.

FETV is airing two of the finest episodes TBNS ever did tonight - "Who is Mr. X?" at 10 PM EST, and "Over the River and Through the Woods" at 11 PM EST. "More goo to go!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/15/2019 at 9:56 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Uh-oh...never thought of that.  Now I'm going to be worried each time I see a new post has arrived.  My favorite character was the grumpy patient...Mr. Carlisle? Can't remember his name. And I loved Marcia Wallace, the world's best receptionist.  She knew how to handle those guys.

Jack Riley showed up as the same character on Newhart (it was said he had been treated by "some quack in Chicago") as well as St. Elsewhere. 

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

Mr Carlin...he was played by Jack Riley, who passed away in 2016.

He showed up as the same character on Newhart (it was said he had been treated by "some quack in Chicago") as well as St. Elsewhere. 

I remember him showing up on Mary Tyler Moore at some point.

I so miss Newhart now that Decades has left my TV channels.

• Love 3

I'm watching the episode with Tom Poston on as Bob's college friend. Bob tells Emily she's going to love him when she meets him. I just recently found out that Suzanne Pleshette was married to Poston. Oh, those clever writers. 😉

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 2

Suzanne Pleshette was actually married to another man at the time - she didn’t marry Tom Poston until over 20 years later. A case of life imitating art.

Do we not have a separate forum for the 80s Newhart series? I started getting Decades a number of months ago and have really been enjoying the 80s show.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Do we not have a separate forum for the 80s Newhart series? I started getting Decades a number of months ago and have really been enjoying the 80s show.

No, we don't. I think Newhart is the funnier show, but I do love Pleshette.

• Like 2
On 5/28/2014 at 2:52 AM, Lola16 said:

One Chicagoan figured out where Bob and Emily's apartment was:

http://jbw53191.blogspot.com/2009/03/quest-for-bob-newharts-apartment.html

That's the exterior, but I was watching an episode today where Bob had forgotten to do his taxes.  He asked Emily what their zip code was and she said 60611, so I ran to a map to see where the show had them living.  It's more or less Streeterville, just north of the river downtown, and that zip code includes the Magnificent Mile and the John Hancock Building.

11 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Well, when all was said and done, Dr. Hartley DID ask his raven-haired spouse to wear more sweaters.

I'll bet that studio audience laughed more at the BN's screw up during the IMO latter lesser-light show  than at virtually anything scripted.

• LOL 1
27 minutes ago, auntjess said:

When/where is this show on?  I loved Dr. Bob, but never saw itbrowsing through the channels.  Thanks!

If you get over the air or cable channel Catchy Comedy (used to be Decades) they air both Newhart shows.

• Like 2
On 2/22/2023 at 5:46 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

That's the exterior, but I was watching an episode today where Bob had forgotten to do his taxes.  He asked Emily what their zip code was and she said 60611, so I ran to a map to see where the show had them living.  It's more or less Streeterville, just north of the river downtown, and that zip code includes the Magnificent Mile and the John Hancock Building.

Well, the zip code for the 5901 N. Sheridan Rd. building in the link is 60660 not 60611 - a friend of mine lives a block north of there. Plus if the Hartleys lived in the 60611 zip code Bob wouldn't need to take the El to and from work - in fact he could walk since IIRC the building where he had his office was on N. Michigan Avenue just north of the river (at least that's where the building he leaves in the opening credits is). Just inconsistencies between fictional and real life. Bob Newhart should/would have known better since he's a Chicagoan and went to school at Loyola University which is just a few blocks north of the building where the Hartleys supposedly lived (although he probably spent more time at Loyola's other campus Lewis Tower/Water Tower where the business school is located which as it turns out is a few blocks north of where Bob Hartley's office was). I remember seeing him at Loyola's Lake Shore Campus once while I was in school there in the mid/ late 70s - I think he was there icw some event in the theater department.

Edited to add: I don't know how to link to it, but if you do a search on Block Club Chicago Bob Newhart you'll find an article from last September about Bob Hartley's wacky commute and about a plaque installed near the building at 5901 N. Sheridan Rd.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 1