Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Driver's Eddie

Louis makes it his mission to teach Eddie how to be a good driver after a police officer makes an inappropriate Asian driver stereotype comment. Meanwhile, Evan is jealous when he discovers that Grandma has only been inviting Emery to hang out with her at her new garage apartment.

Original air date: 11/2/18

I groaned when I saw the episode title, but I really liked this episode.  They addressed the issue of stereotypes, while giving Eddie and Louis some character moments to play.  I laughed out loud for the first time ever in this show, when the owl did its thing.  The grandma's stories were hilarious... I wouldn't have minded a full episode of that.  Evan was being a little brat but at least he tried to change at the end.  It was a bit unlikely that Eddie's first time driving would be all the way to the mall with the entire family, though, considering he never got off the driveway in the "lessons" he had thus far.

Nintendo64! Yeah...

My mom is getting distracted by Constance Wu's wig and I tried to explain she did Crazy Rich Asians. She always said the hairstylist could have put a little effort into making her wig a little realistic and I just shrugged my shoulders. I have seen her in interviews where her hair looked better than the one from FOB. She is really an attractive woman, but I remember last season her hair didn't look that fake. I think it is the wig that makes her face so gaunt. Not that I care.

Well, anyway, Eddie's friends are getting tall. They just as tall as him. Still, it is cool to see them again. How do you think they are going to close the show when it ends? At the Y2K? It is already 1998 and we still two years away from 2000.

I didn't like this episode. It felt oddly written. Not sure who wrote it but I didn't think the jokes landed the way they were supposed to. When Louis said driving was the biggest young adult milestone and Eddie said "I can think of a bigger one," I assume we were supposed to think "sex," but neither Louis nor Eddie had any sort of reaction/expression that would have sold that line. There was a pause afterward like they were holding for laughter/applause and there was none. I also hated that the cop just totally got away with the Asian driver cracks and kept doubling down on them. In these times, it just isn't funny for me to see a racist cop on a sitcom. YMMV of course.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

When Louis said driving was the biggest young adult milestone and Eddie said "I can think of a bigger one," I assume we were supposed to think "sex," but neither Louis nor Eddie had any sort of reaction/expression that would have sold that line. There was a pause afterward like they were holding for laughter/applause and there was none. 

I thought that was really weird.  It was like they wanted to be "edgier" but they also wanted to keep it rated G and I'm not sure what the non-reaction was supposed to mean, or where they were trying to go with it.

• Love 1

I didnt think it was effective that they tried to tie Louis thinking Eddie was at fault because Louis bought into the stereotype, a lot of parents regardless of race would assume that their new driver child who had circumvented the rules regarding driving was at fault and add on that Eddie is Eddie and not all that responsible it didn’t work for me.

• Love 7

I dont think Louis assumed Eddie was at fault because he was Asian, I thought that he thought it was Eddie because Eddie has driven about twice in his life. So, that didnt work for me at all. I thought Louis wanting to make sure Eddie was an awesome driver to avoid the stereotype was a decent story, but that part was off the mark. 

So glad that Eddie and his friends are back, they always crack me up. And they have all gotten super tall! 

• Love 4
On 11/3/2018 at 1:17 AM, Camera One said:

I groaned when I saw the episode title, but I really liked this episode. 

Okay, I guess I’ll be that person who says actually, it’s driver ed. Also, don’t forget to change your clocks for daylight SAVING time. 

• Love 1

Eddie's friends have grown so much!!! I did a double take when I saw them. Even Trent who I saw a few weeks ago looked older in this ep.

I really liked this episode and love how steady Eddie has become. He's grown so much and hasn't regressed. Enjoyed the bonding moments between Marvin and Louis as well. I think the new baby is being used effectively. She's onscreen to show that they've had a baby but not interfering with the plot.

I liked the Evan and Grandma storyline too. Loved it at the end how the golden owl was too much even for Emery.

I am an Orlando native and this episode finally put me over the edge. Like full eye twitch.

It's I-4. Not the I-4. Just I-4

There is no Orlando Area Public Schools. Eddie and his brothers are part of OCPS. Orange County Public Schools. 

The newspaper is The Orlando Sentinel. 

The major grocery stores circa 1997 are Publix, Winn Dixie and Goodings.

There is no Orlando Galleria Mall. 

If Cattlemen's Ranch is on I-Drive then it is *surrounded* by a ton of tourist trap buildings. 

And it's just I-4!!!

I might feel strongly about this ?

• Love 2