Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

S02.E02: Never Say Die

Recommended Posts

Jason and Bravo Team travel to Saudi Arabia, where extremists take hold of an underground water source and threaten to release anthrax into the water supply. Also, Ray contemplates joining another team.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm still not convinced Alana died, or will die, as a result of the accident.

Still super annoyed that Jason is so upset about the Ray thing - and then gets even more angry when he realizes that Ray isn't putting is life and career on hold because Jason doesn't think he's repented enough. Honestly, I love Ray, but I think he should leave the team no matter what happens after the shitty way Jason has treated him. He keeps preaching about "trust" but how does doing this to Ray make him trust Jason? 

Can't believe Stella didn't speak up during that dinner when her father was being such a gigantic asshole?

Edited by Lunula
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Jason is such a major ass to people closest to him. He's like a petulant child and I have zero sympathy for him.

Sonny is going to freak when he finds out Davis is doing her new training/leaving the team. He's taking Ray's absence badly, and with Davis it's be the last straw, I think.

Mandy is back. Yay. She just doesn't fit.

The framing with Alana's accident was strange. She could be dead. But what's the point of that storyline for the show? It's not like Jason will randomly leave the team to raise his kids because Jason is a self-centered asshole, so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Netfoot said:

You realize, Alana will no longer be able to pontificate about the dangerous nature of Jason's job!

Agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, CooperTV said:

But what's the point of that storyline for the show? It's not like Jason will randomly leave the team to raise his kids because Jason is a self-centered asshole, so.

Given the preview, I think we could be headed for

Spoiler

 

Jason taking leave to mourn Alana and be with his kids.  Ray then returns (He and Jason bury the hatchet) and leads Bravo in Jason's absence.

I think it's a reverse way for Jason to experience what Alana always talked about---him never being there.  Only in this case, the never is permanent.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Honestly, I watched the scenes from next week  and just assumed it was a fake:  She is fine and all the mourning scenes were for the Seal who was lost before the pilot episode.  

I guess I have just become jaded to TV tropes.

Edited by kindredlaugh

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/11/2018 at 9:35 PM, Orens88 said:
On 10/11/2018 at 5:46 PM, Netfoot said:

You realize, Alana will no longer be able to pontificate about the dangerous nature of Jason's job!

Agreed. 

The annoyance level of most of the characters on this show is seriously trying my ability to stick out S2

First off - if Alana dies, can't say I'll miss her.  I don't know what it is about how writers write female characters in some of my favorite shows, but I have absolutely ZERO empathy/compassion for her.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but she did marry Jason knowing fully well he was military and what the responsibilities of his job would entail.  Same if someone were to marry a police office, fire fighter, etc - you know there's a chance they may not come home one night.  You also know that there are going to be situations that will affect them emotionally and mentally (PTSD, etc).  What pisses me off about Alana is her complaining about it even though she knew what she was getting into by marrying a SEAL.  "You're never there, Jason.  You're not there for us, Jason.  Oh, you're phone's ringing - guess you gotta go, Jason"  STFU!

And the daughter during the campus tour - triple STFU!  That snide comment to her father when his phone rang about [paraphrasing] remind me never to get a job that's going to wind up screwing up my kids' life.  That's okay, dad - go to to work.  I'll ask mom to finish the tour with me'  OMG, you passive aggressive little witch!  That's right - he has to go to work so he can pay for YOUR college tuition.  Okay......breathe....

Stella doesn't bug as much as last season so I'll leave her alone.  And Mandy is more tolerable with less screen time

And then there's Sonny.  Really, dude - ENOUGH with talk of Ray being able to walk on water.  I get it - Ray's your guy.  You miss Ray.  You want Ray back.  You're giving Jason aggots for demoting him (of sorts) and making sure Clay doesn't get too big of a head for taking the #2 spot.  I get it.  We get it.  No you can STFU as well.

Right now the only characters I can handle are Blackburn and Cerberus!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh no, they killed what's-her-name! And now Jason gets a double dose of shame since his ex-wife was doing a beer run for him!

I know Jason was away for a few days but how did it not occur to him that there was no beer in the fridge? Seeing as to how this is a team of high-functioning alcoholics (Mandy admitted as much in this very episode), you'd suppose Jason would stock up on his way back home. Having an argument with an old friend should also suffice to send him to the local liquor store.

I liked Blackburn's trick with the radio. Judging by the stinkeye the Saudi commander gave him I am assuming the guy knew what was up but let it slide out of soldierly solidarity.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/13/2018 at 1:30 PM, ctlady said:

First off - if Alana dies, can't say I'll miss her.  I don't know what it is about how writers write female characters in some of my favorite shows, but I have absolutely ZERO empathy/compassion for her.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but she did marry Jason knowing fully well he was military and what the responsibilities of his job would entail.  Same if someone were to marry a police office, fire fighter, etc - you know there's a chance they may not come home one night.  You also know that there are going to be situations that will affect them emotionally and mentally (PTSD, etc).  What pisses me off about Alana is her complaining about it even though she knew what she was getting into by marrying a SEAL.  "You're never there, Jason.  You're not there for us, Jason.  Oh, you're phone's ringing - guess you gotta go, Jason"  STFU!

I am not a fan of how they’ve portrayed Alana, but gotta speak up here to say there is no way to prepare yourself for being with someone who has a job like this. You can go into it accepting their job, being supportive, etc., but once you’re actually “in it” it’s a totally different ballgame. Part of me understands that she knew him “before” and fell in love with that guy - but when you’ve been through the training a SEAL goes through, get deployed, go on special missions and deal with not only having people trying to kill you, but also with killing other humans...that changes you. I think the writers were attempting to portray this, but IMO failed miserably. I saw Jason trying, I saw two people who really loved each other and I saw her always saying it wasn’t enough - which made me not understand or like her.

I wasn’t married to a military man, but I spent 2 years with a guy who went from college ROTC (when I met him) to a fighter pilot who was deployed in the Middle East and in a war. I thought I was prepared for it, but I wasn’t and neither one of us could weather our new relationship. I imagine that would be multiplied by a million after marriage, kids and years between them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I am typically annoyed with the spouse/family of the hero of the TV journey.  Strangely, I am getting the vibe that TPTB are attempting to give respect to those who have the impossible sitrep of sitting home utterly beholden to a behometh who may, at anytime, take their loved one away forever.  The dialogues I have seen appeared to me those of resignation.  

The wife has come to the realization she can't hack it anymore.  I am not seeing anger directed Jason.  I see a very firm resolve that insists on erecting and maintaining a wall of self-survival.   The rebuttals and retorts are simply stating data points and truths.  I've not seen her demand that he accept her personal truths.  I've seen at least a glimmer of hope that MAYBE, something will finally click.

I completely missed resentments from the daughter on campus.  I saw a cheery understanding.  A stiff upper lip, if you will.  As the later exposition revealed, she was pretty happy that her Dad made the sincere effort to support her by going in the first place.  

I similarly very much enjoyed the conversation in the restaurant with the rents.  Every concern expressed was absolutely legitimate, imo.  I saw honor in that.  Boyfriend's replies were also honorable.  I did not feel resentments from either side.  I heard universal fears based on difficult realities.  Why should their daughter become an Alana?  How can they deny the need for men like Jason in the fight for freedoms?  

The whole Jason/Ray thing can just go away.  Sons of Anarchy did it much better with Clay and Jax.  

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes

Share this post


Link to post

Ugh gutted by the return of Mandy. The character doesn't fit at all. She's the worst. Also there's something really annoying about how the actress plays her and the constant pouting. It's like she thinks she's the hottest gal in the room or something.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/14/2018 at 6:32 PM, Lunula said:

I am not a fan of how they’ve portrayed Alana, but gotta speak up here to say there is no way to prepare yourself for being with someone who has a job like this. You can go into it accepting their job, being supportive, etc., but once you’re actually “in it” it’s a totally different ballgame. Part of me understands that she knew him “before” and fell in love with that guy - but when you’ve been through the training a SEAL goes through, get deployed, go on special missions and deal with not only having people trying to kill you, but also with killing other humans...that changes you. I think the writers were attempting to portray this, but IMO failed miserably. I saw Jason trying, I saw two people who really loved each other and I saw her always saying it wasn’t enough - which made me not understand or like her.

I wasn’t married to a military man, but I spent 2 years with a guy who went from college ROTC (when I met him) to a fighter pilot who was deployed in the Middle East and in a war. I thought I was prepared for it, but I wasn’t and neither one of us could weather our new relationship. I imagine that would be multiplied by a million after marriage, kids and years between them.

Nicely put. Plus I can totally see Jason being the type of guy who would tell his wife when they got married that he would stay in the Navy, do his 25 years (or what ever it takes to get full retirment benefit/pension) then get out and focus on his family.  So Jason could probably get out anytime he wants but obviously doesn't want to.

Share this post


Link to post
×