Type keyword(s) to search

Murdoch Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Season 17/Episode 24  - For the Greater Good

Did anyone else get a sense that they were wrapping up the series?  I have felt for the longest time that there's almost no one at Station House 4 other than Murdoch and Higgins (and sometimes George, if we're lucky).  Almost all the other regulars are only there once in a while, and the semi-regulars' visits are few and far between.  Now that Julia and Susannah have been shipped off to England, I'm getting a nagging feeling that our show is turning out the lights.  🤔 😪

Edited by BMGepinniw
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

It did feel a little like they were wrapping up the series with Brackenreid and Julia leaving. If William had left too, I would have thought so for sure.

My guess is that the storyline with Julia leaving is to set up an episode next season with her returning home on the Titanic.

I think the show is taking place in late 1911 at this point based on the Mona Lisa being stolen in August 1911 (Ep. 3) and the federal election being in September 1911 (Ep. 17). The Christmas episode aired between those two episodes, so it's a little confusing.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Season 17, Episode 24 - For the Greater Good

I also wondered about the possibility of a Titanic return trip for Julia/Susannah.  Since Brackenreid was made Chief Constable, he can still interact with Station House 4 and I wonder about Murdoch still being only "acting" Inspector. 

I hope this was not a series end since so many regulars weren't in it but ever since Frankie Drake was cancelled on a horrid cliffhanger, I don't count on anything until a new season announcement is made.  

I liked the episode.  I even liked the dawning realization by Constable Tucker that once he took that first step down the corruption path, he was on the hook for a lot of future grief.  Higgins & Crabtree is always a fun double act.  Murdoch's reaction to Julia's job offer was in character even if not perhaps period correct.  I loved him fussing over Julia knowing how to work the camera at the station to mask his sadness at their leaving.  

As always, it was a delight hanging out with all of you this season!

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Season 17, Episode 24 - For the Greater Good April 8 2024

Now acting inspector, Murdoch investigates a prominent scientist who staged his own death.

On 4/9/2024 at 4:06 AM, BMGepinniw said:

Did anyone else get a sense that they were wrapping up the series? 

I saw a lot of comments on Facebook expressing the same thought. I can't believe they would end the series without letting us know beforehand but it's happened to other shows as we sadly know. It really wasn't a proper ending. 

Even if they do a shortened final season I would like to know it's the final season and would like everyone's lives to be wrapped up somehow.

I really don't like the idea that Julia and Susannah return on the Titanic although, of course, they could still survive. But it's not just their survival - I don't always like when international events (and famous people) are kind of jammed into the show. 

I also don't like that Julia is going off to England to teach when she just opened her own hospital. 

6 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I even liked the dawning realization by Constable Tucker that once he took that first step down the corruption path, he was on the hook for a lot of future grief. 

So did I.  I' m glad they didn't just let that storyline drop.

Even though Brackenreid's and Murdoch's promotions were well deserved and a long time coming, I didn't like the absence of Brackenreid. I also missed seeing Watts and Miss Hart.

@Grundoon59, how was your eclipse viewing? Even though we are in the path of totality I missed the full coverage because I didn't wake up from my nap quite in time.  I was close though and there was only a tiny crescent of sun showing when I did go out.  Luckily I only had to go out my back door to get a perfect view.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 3

@Trey - thanks for asking.  The only part of Michigan that was in the totality was about 50 miles south of me (right on the Ohio border).  I unfortunately couldn't take the day of work to venture down there (weather predictions were iffy until only a couple of days before).  Apparently, there was quite a traffic jam as well. 

One of my coworkers did buy us all the NASA approved glasses so my boss led us outside to view the 99% event.  It was still cool watching the sliver move around the sun. We could feel a slight temperature drop and some shadows were oddly shaped.  Glad I participated - not sure I would ever chase another one.  My history major brain tried to imagine how frightening it would have been for people before the scientific explanation was known.  

• Like 3
(edited)

I would be shocked if a show that has been around as long as Murdoch Mysteries goes out with so little fanfare. Can anyone think of a series in the last few decades that lasted into double digits seasons that got cancelled suddenly/ didn't announce in advance that they were entering their final season? I can't.

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Thanks for sharing the article.  I too got a bad feeling from the heading about Ten Episodes; however, not much further in the report, was this bit of info:

Season 18 is slated to begin production in 2023 by the show’s production company Shaftesbury Films. This season will be another long 18 episode order by CBC, ensuring plenty of compelling mysteries and developments in the lives of the main ensemble cast.

Admittedly, the more I read, the more confused I got.  There was some flip/flopping regarding which season was being discussed, so I'll just chill for now.  😉

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BMGepinniw said:

Admittedly, the more I read, the more confused I got.  There was some flip/flopping regarding which season was being discussed

That was my impression of the article too.  So we'll just wait until we hear something definite before we start pulling out our hair.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2024 at 10:46 AM, Trey said:

Season 17, Episode 24 - For the Greater Good April 8 2024

I saw a lot of comments on Facebook expressing the same thought. I can't believe they would end the series without letting us know beforehand but it's happened to other shows as we sadly know. It really wasn't a proper ending. 

For such a beloved series of this duration, I would like to believe that as well, Trey.  There were such significant notices about "Why is Everyone Singing?", that I expect there would be many more announcements if they were ending the series (even though I did get nervous about my (hopefully) mistaken perception of same).  

I really don't like the idea that Julia and Susannah return on the Titanic although, of course, they could still survive. But it's not just their survival - I don't always like when international events (and famous people) are kind of jammed into the show. 

I enjoy the inclusion of international events and/or famous people incorporated into MM, but on a small scale, and infrequently.  Too large a focus limits the writers' storyline, as they shouldnt stray far from the factual history.  In the case of Julia and Susannah being on the Titanic, I wouldn't want to see that either.  I could accept if there was a misunderstanding that they were/might have been on board. 

I also don't like that Julia is going off to England to teach when she just opened her own hospital. 

Yes, they left that hanging, with no mention (that I recall) of how/who would be in charge of it in Julia's absence.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, BMGepinniw said:

Admittedly, the more I read, the more confused I got.  There was some flip/flopping regarding which season was being discussed, so I'll just chill for now.

I felt the same way, but decided the info was important enough to share.

• Thanks 1

Renewed for Season 18 per wiki Fandom.com.

Here's a quote from the site that will set minds at rest for a while:

Fans concerned about the show coming to a close any time soon need not worry as Bisson and Mitchell say they’re having too much fun to stop. Show-runner Peter Mitchell recently stated, “We’ve got history on our side; there’s no shortage of stories.”

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
On 2/7/2024 at 12:49 PM, Trey said:

Season 17, Ep. 14 - The Smell of Alarm Jan.  29 2024

This was such a great episode, probably the best of the season so far. 

Too bad the site was down last week so I didn't get to post anything then and now I've forgotten what I wanted to say.

I was surprised that Crabtree wasn't there; I thought he was back for good in the previous episode.

On 2/8/2024 at 9:57 AM, Grundoon59 said:

Season 17, Ep. 14 - The Smell of Alarm Jan.  29 2024

I agree @Trey, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode even as I got creeped out by the bees.  Missed George, but loved the Higgins moments - he has always been good but this season (at least for me) he has been knocking it out of the park with his material.  I agree also that I feel like I am missing some comments I meant to make but maybe a rewatch will spark a memory.

Just watched this episode on Ovation.  I was surprised George wasn't back.  He found his father and he was headed home, and there wasn't even a mention of him.

I loved this episode.  As I was watching it, I was thinking it was more and more like one of the old Batman episodes with Adam West.  The newspaper headlines, the music, etc.  When we saw Miss Sweet in her lair dressed in her costume, I thought even more that she would have been a good ridiculous classic Batman villain called the Beekeeper.  She even had gadgets that helped her in her crimes.

Then to have Murdoch and Higgins talk about how they were a great pair, and Murdoch all but said "dynamic duo" confirmed for me that the writers intended to write it like a Batman ep.  So much fun.  I'll have to watch it again.

• Like 5

I was too busy cracking up at the names to notice Batman similarities.  LaFlamme studies arson.  BEEZbruch studies bees. Sweet pushes honey.  And, of course, Clara Kent, far too like Clark Kent to be an accident.

I thought it was a rollicking episode.  And, as Grundoon mentioned, Higgins IS knocking it out of the park.   Hahaha - The Newsome Twosome.

But I still miss George.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

17.15 Murdoch and the Treasure of Lima

I looked this episode up on imdb to get the title correct and noticed that the birdwatcher lady was played by Margaret Atwood.

The only other thing I have to say about this episode is that Daniel Maslany is gold.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Season 17, Ep. 16 - The Preacher Jimmy Wilde

I found this one boring. The murders were so run of the mill. Although, it did have Crabtree in it, so it wasn't all bad. Just boring.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Season 17, Ep. 16 - The Preacher Jimmy Wilde

I found this one boring. The murders were so run of the mill. Although, it did have Crabtree in it, so it wasn't all bad. Just boring.

Yeah, it wasn't the most memorable episode, but I liked seeing Ted Atherton. He made the sleazy preacher character fun. Glad to see George again.

• Like 1

I hated this episode.  The preacher and his "Sister" were beyond irritating.  I was surprised to see Margaret so taken with them, it seems sometimes she is depicted as wise and astute and other times as a complete gullible fool.

I did appreciate that George showed up but I find it jarring that there was absolutely no conversation between him and the team.  "Hey George, welcome back, how were your travels?"  Instead, they pretend like he's been around the whole time.

I noticed that Higgins was absent... is this budget cuts?  Can't afford to pay everyone so someone has to always be absent?