Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E23: Facebook in Myanmar

Athena
  • Start Topic

"What boy hasn't done something like this in high school?"

Gee, I dunno, my high school boyfriend, as well as the guys I was friends with back then, didn't go around doing any of that stuff to me or other girls. My dad didn't behave that way, either. And I'm sure many people can cite other examples of high school boys who managed to be decent human beings who didn't assault women as well. So...try again? 

Good lord. I hope to god those women don't have children. If they do, I pity those kids.

Apparently another woman's come forward with accusations now as well, so, yeah. Next week could get really interesting, indeed. If the Kavanaugh hearings do turn out the same way the Clarence Thomas ones did, then once the Democrats are in office, if there's something they can do to fix this or get him out, they should absolutely get on it as fast as possible. I've heard about how there's no statute of limitations on these kinds of accusations in Maryland, so if that's the case, I'd suggest the GOP be very wise to keep that in mind going forward. 

As for the Facebook stuff, it disturbs me that anyone would actually decide to get all their news and important information from there to begin with. Just further proof of the necessity and importance of both a reputable, trusted press and critical thinking skills. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3

Did anyone accidentally record last week? John did a bit about unraveling the space mouse conspiracy, but then he got taken off the air, and a rerun was put up.

Once again, I feel like a chump for using Facebook, even though I use it more for communication and general bitching. Also, Jeannine Pirro needs to be smacked . . . but I’m guessing most of us knew that already. Such an awful woman.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

As for the Facebook stuff, it disturbs me that anyone would actually decide to get all their news and important information from there to begin with.

The problem in Myanmar is that the cell companies provide FB use for free. If you want actual news sites you have to buy data. 

Here, though, I totally agree. It's a ridiculous way to become "informed." It's like if I thought I could stay informed on entertainment news solely through all those clickbait ads at the bottom of webpages "Why ____ can't get hired in Hollywood anymore." Facebook news is obvious trash.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"What boy hasn't done something like this in high school?"

I had a few girlfriends and dated in high school and I didn't assault anyone. What a terribly ignorant woman. Does she have any female family members. Could you imagine how mortified they'd be?

The problem with FB is that you can report a ton but they don't do anything about it. You see the same fake profiles rolling though on the various pages each week. 

The thing is though, when people say 'don't get news from FB.' Yeah, I wasn't believing that Clinton was running slaves in the pizza joint, but PBS News is legit and post articles through the day or update developing stories, and Face the Nation will have video clips of interviews. 

It's more that if you're expecting FB to be something it's not, then that's kind of on you, and yes, it's garbage, but if you use it with this in mind, then you should be ok. Plus I live way away from the friends I grew up and went to college with so it is a good way to stay involved in our daily lives. 

13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Apparently another woman's come forward with accusations now as well, so, yeah.

I heard this last night. Based on Hatch's comments, I'm also of the mind that nothing has changed since Anita Hill and I'm thinking this could be a huge mess. 

• Love 2

Did anyone accidentally record last week? John did a bit about unraveling the space mouse conspiracy, but then he got taken off the air, and a rerun was put up.

It was just a joke. It was always planned as a repeat but he filmed a special intro following up on his "space mouse" gag from the previous week. 

• Love 2

I can never get enough of Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg getting hammered in the court of public opinion over their vile douchiness. And the hammer Ollie used on Sunday was Mjolnir. Best takedown of Facebook ever. Especially describing it as a toilet, which seems absolutely perfect to me.

• Love 2