Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E26: Live Finale

• Start Topic

(edited)

Oh that was so awesome that Grimmie got third. So sweet! I actually let out a Ha Ha!

Boring finale, I didn't even watch all of it like I usually. I thought it was an hour show,then when it was 10pm and didn't hear Carson start saying it's time to find out who is the winner, I said Oh crap, it's another hour? 

yay for Josh, the right person won. Although I got a little worried Josh my sneak in there.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

I literally can't stop laughing, because I'm watching all these Grimmie fans IMPLODE in the live stream chat.  Now THEY are all calling "rigged" because of the iTunes gaff that they were saying was nothing when it was against Josh.  Too bad their 12-year-old selves couldn't be bothered to say...actually vote any other way.

That said, I actually liked all her songs tonight and seriously don't think Jake should have come in second. 

• Love 3

HEART PALPATATIONS

I'm actually so happy about this.  I think Jake and Josh were the true Top 2 of the season.  Jake is a real diamond in the rough.  He's effervescent and charming and when he's on he's really on.  He's got a wonderfully smooth voice and with a little polish he could really be something special.  I with nothing but the best for him.

But Joshy!  My Joshy!  I can't believe it actually happened!  Grimmie with her social media and producers bias and Jake with his charm and country block I can't believe you pulled it off!!!  I'm so happy!  Josh is already a professional, in my opinion, but he just hadn't found the right platform.  Grimmie is a replaceable wannabe but Josh is a true artist.

I'M SO HAPPY

• Love 1

Congratulations Josh and Team Usher for breaking the Adam and Blake streak.

That was awesome,Usher killed two birds with one Josh. It's got to be eating Adam up even more that Josh won.

• Love 3

Ha! I love that Josh won after the producers did everything possible to give Grimmie the win. That just cements in my mind that Christina was in 4th place last week and they were planning on using the twitter save to get her to the finale.

I hope this just eats Adam up inside that his contestant came in 3rd after all those shenanigans and he lost to Blake AGAIN!

I think Chris Martin would be outstanding!  Yeah, before Adam irked me, then I got to where I downright couldn't stand him, and now I don't even want to watch the show because he's on it.  His over the top insults to people this season have just cemented the fact that he is a self-serving douche.  A good friend of mine who is an Adam fan girl was even like WTF? with him this year. 

I thought Chris Martin was a complete dud when he was on this show. He had no useful advice and he's a black hole of charisma. There are much better choices out there IMO.

• Love 1

Congratulations to Josh.  I thought he deserved the win.  Even though I'm not a country music fan, I liked Jake, too, and I think he'll do well with Blake helping him.  Grimmie can go back to youtube.

• Love 2

I think Josh made his win easier for Adam to take by including him with Usher in thanking them for their coaching.   Very graceful and generous.

I was good with the finale, but the whole thing seemed a little more random than past shows.  I was not really that wow'd by the performances and special guests.  I did like Ed and One Republic's songs, but the rest were not that exciting for me.

Happy that Usher won one to break the Blake/Adam lock on the trophy.

• Love 1

Congrats to Josh and to Usher.  Yippee, some sunshine at the end of a pretty bleak season.

I agree that it is gratifying to finally have a different coach win.  If and when Usher comes back, it should change the dynamic in the blinds.  And wouldn't that be nice.

• Love 1

I'm ticked at Adam. I'm not sure how long it will last. He's too immature to understand that his childish behavior and insults actually hurt his team, not further their cause. He's done it before with Christina. He's too self absorbed to really get it.  He needs a break from the show, IMO.  

I'm actually taking a break from the show anyway. They need to revamp some things.  Until they get their winner's success level in check with their description of the winner's success level, their hype seems ingenuous.  

Best wishes for Josh.  

Jake seems to be a nice guy, but he will be swallowed up by any number of male country artists who are far more talented than he is, IMO.

Best wishes for Grimmie too, but I think to proceed any further in the music industry will be a great challenge for her, IMO.

(edited)

I thought Chris Martin was a complete dud when he was on this show. He had no useful advice and he's a black hole of charisma. There are much better choices out there IMO.

But he got to make out with Andrew Garfield as Gwen Stacy. That's how awesome he is. =p

I just thought it would be easier to get someone like an adviser to become a full-fledged coach. If not Chris then I can see many other good candidates: Cher, Kelly Clarkson, Miranda Lambert, Billie Joe Armstrong, Alanis Morissette, Baby Face, Jill Scott, Sia, Reba McEntire etc.

Also I can see Jake going the way of the Great Tater on X Factor which is not good.

Edited by Lily Adler

Wow.  Grimmie was actually elevated by Ed Sheeran FAR more than by Adam Levine.  Sure he did the heavy lifting with the singing, but she did a really credible job of accompanyment.  That, seriously, was the most credible performance she's turned in all season.  Enough so that I think she may actually deserve a top 3 finish now.  But yes it was nice she didn't win.  I don't hate her, but it would have sucked.  Although Blake winning again might have sucked even more.

You know, I hate "group sings" on Idol.  Why are they so much better on this show?  "She's Gone", by that group of male "losers", for example, was GREAT.  The group sings on this finale weren't all home runs (the pack of losing girls Rihanna performance sucked, for example--too many of the solos were pitchy, even if the harmony parts were okay). But overall the group performances were pretty pleasing (unlike on Idol).  Josh & Friends performance was a good one too (Sisaundra actually was restrained, which made it a lot better).

I did not need Robin Leach. Or Robin Thicke.  Okay, to be fair this was Thicke doing the kind of stuff he did before he got all gross.

Guest Nasal Country Guy was more like Generic Nasal Country Guy, Country Music award winner or not.  They might as well have let Mumbles Worthington do that (who'd sound about the same, except he'd drop the letters at the ends of his words even more).  In contrast, I've always like Alabama and liked them tonight too.  They're a guilty pleasure.  This is what country should be, other than just Nasal mumbling. It requires this kind of musical backdrop and level of energy.  You need to show the roots.  You need goddam fiddles.  People who are bored as hell by country don't mean bored of this, usually.

I'm shocked Josh won, but not displeased.  Maybe this will push Blake into taking a break (ugh, not likely).  I do hate on some level that the guy responsible for foisting Justin Beiber on the world "won" as Coach, but can get over it since Josh shouldn't bear that shame as well.

BTW: the free cars to all finalists thing... was this show copying Idol or the other way around? I know they both did it this year, but can't recall if Idol's done it previously.

BTW: the free cars to all finalists thing... was this show copying Idol or the other way around? I know they both did it this year, but can't recall if Idol's done it previously.

I can remember as far back as season 3 on Idol the finalists winning cars because Fantasia stated she would have to learn to drive, but can't remember if the finalists won a car in seasons 1 and 2. 

(edited)

I'm happy that Josh and Usher won, but it still bugs that Jake even made the final, let alone came in 2nd.  If I had to rank the final 8, it would have been:

1. Josh
  2. Christina
  3. Kat
  4. Kristen
  5. Delvin
  6. Audra
  7. Sisaundra
  8. Jake

But then I'm the first to admit that I'm no big fan of old style country music and Jake simply didn't have the vocal or performance skills to get me past that (the way for instance Danielle did).

I thought this finale wasn't nearly as good as last season's.  The only two fairly good performances were the Ed Sheeran-Grimmie duet and One Republic.  I didn't think any of the group songs were all that good.  Certainly not up to the standards of last season's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Hold On, I'm Coming" (when Preston Pohl stole the show), let alone some of the classics from the past such as the Season 3 girls doing "Best of My Love" or when Nicholas, Amanda, Trevin and Dez did "End of the Road" as the final performance that same season.

But I guess it's fitting that we got a lackluster end to what was a lackluster season.

Edited by viajero

1. Josh
  2. Christina
  3. Kat
  4. Kristen
  5. Delvin
  6. Audra
  7. Sisaundra
  8. Jake

Substitue Sisaundra for Christina and I could probably support your list.  Christina really was terrible in several of her performaces.   She was also great in a couple, but she was bad enough times that its hard for me to really put her in the top 5.

• Love 1
(edited)

Christina is the only contestant other than Josh that has 3 songs in my top dozen for the season, plus a couple of others than came close.  She took a lot of risks and some of them flopped, but I would rather reward someone who swings for the fences and hits several homers over someone like Kristen, who played it much safer and as a result was consistently fairly good, but had only one standout performance (Foolish Games).

To continue this ridiculous baseball metaphor, for me Christina's solo performances were equivalent of hitting 2 homers, a triple, two doubles, 3 singes and 2 strikeouts.  In contrast, I`d rate Kristen with the equivalent of 1 homer, 2 doubles (the second a ground rule double since her mike went out), and 5 singles.  So in those terms, I guess I value their slugging percentage more than their batting average. 

Edited by viajero
(edited)

Kromm, I'm a little embarrassed to say I enjoyed the "She's Gone" group sing a whole lot, in a I can't believe my ears kind of way.  What a falsetto fest!  Shy Jake seems to have improved so very much. ... it was great to see him again, and Morgan and Stevie Jo, too.

Alabama, a guilty pleasure?  I straight up love them...always have.  That must have been mind blowing for Jake W.  I'm excited for him.

I very much liked Ed Sheeran in his duet with Christina.  I always like it when the established music stars are generous to the contestants, which is one reason why I like Blake so much.  Blake himself has grown a lot from young country "It" guy to more of a credible elder statesman of country in his tenure on the show.  While I don't know half the old country songs he picks, I am beginning to appreciate that he knows his country.  Jake helped bring that out in him.  I liked the song Blake picked for Jake's new song on the last performance night a lot.  I thought it fit.

So glad Josh and Usher won, though.  They definitely deserved it and it was the first time that one of my favorites won on this show.

Glad Christina will have her shot.  As someone else said, everyone wins.  I noticed that she, also, was generous to the returnees in their group number, (where I thought Bria disappointingly continued her trend of sucking).

As for the coach round up, of all of them, I most want to see Usher again.  I'm lukewarm on Blake and Adam.  I'm tired of Blake winning, but he is reliably sweet (and a little boring).  Adam is reliably annoying, which I have to admit, gives us something to talk about.  Shakira seems sweet as candy, but I don't think she adds anything to the show, so I wish her luck but don't want to see her again.  

All in all, vaguely looking forward to a new coaching panel, but not as excited about this show as I used to be.

ETA: Baseball metaphor, hooray!  Josh is like the relief pitcher who consistently builds up a record of saves, and then you're glad he gets MVP at the end of the season.  There were a lot of times for me this season where he had the only great performance of the night and I was glad he kept the show from being a total waste of time.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
  • Love 1

If Pharrel or Gwen doesn't work out, can we just have Usher fill in permanently pretty please TPTB. =( I'll admit a Christina, Adam, Blake, and Usher panel could be interesting.

I have to say, Usher has completely surprised me as a coach.  I feel like he uses real techniques with the purpose of trying to make his team members better.  Sometimes I feel like the other coaches aren't coaches but figureheads.  I would LOVE to see him permanently fill in.

• Love 1