Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: O Mother, Where Art Thou?

• Start Topic

"Dick-punch!"

Oh Lucy, for a ship that doesn't wear them, you sure are rocking those sassy pants! 
Johnny:  I'm a man with multitudes, girl.
Lucy:  Of bullshit?

^ Hands down best by-play of the episode.  lol.  Honestly, ever since she made a full comeback this season, in 4.4, Lucy's one-liners and comebacks have been full of spicy barbs.  Loving it.

So that was mama Dutch.  Wonder why Khlyen made her the assassin in the modified memory-story.  So she said she was a Queen; does that mean she was Queen of Qresh?  Queen of the Ten??

Most girls are primadonnas at her age.  Aneela?  Gleeful queen of the slaughterhouse.

I do have a question, though.  Its being said and portrayed that basically in her battle of wills and having to hear The Lady's voice constantly is what drove Aneela coocoo for cocoa puffs.  Which is understandable.  But what's not understandable is Aneela, Khlyen, and a bunch of scientists(?) all Hullen-originated from Arkyn over 250 years ago...  so that said, why was just Aneela singled out by The Lady?  Why didn't The Lady whisper to all the new Hullenized humans at Arkyn??

So, even more redemption arc for Khlyen?  He tried to end it all but bleeding heart mama talked him out of it.  And it really seems they might be setting it up to bring him back somehow, what with the wording and sticking Mama back in the cryo-container.  Could just be for an Aneela-Mama reunion, but I wouldn't be surprised if we somehow get a living (& cleansed) Khlyen back before its all said and done.

Gotta say, unless his recall of the real memory Khlyen told Dutch is it - and using his smarts to find clues like the pulsar - still not really seeing Johnny's real importance to Dutch in fighting The Lady, yet.   Saying Johnny is her 'true north' [in the platonic sense] is kind of like "duh!", he's always been that to & for her.

Weej was a riot.  First with straight up whacking Turin over the head and then trying to convince Pree & Gared he was there to rescue them, and finally "Gods dammit!!".  And them, "yep, he's with Turin".  lol. 

Pree and Gared were great, too.
Turin:  Now you need to put the oculus in the biomatrix scanner so the armada can link up to the RAC.  Do you know what one looks like?
Pree:  When are you going to stop underestimating me?  Of course I know what a biomatrix scanner looks like!
*quietly asks Gared, while pointing at scanner*
Pree:  Is that the scanner?

Zeph's discovery makes us sit up and notice that The Lady is a thinker - and also cares nothing for the Hullen-ized - but at the same time, I'm kicking myself for not realizing what an easy speculation to finding/making a green pool her solution is.  Started kicking myself as soon as Zeph realized they were 'draining' the green out of dead Hullen.  Especially since we've seen it done before, when Aneela bled herself over time to create the pool that she brought Dutch into existence from.

So I was guessing right -

Spoiler

D'avin did take Jaq to Telen, and on that one promo pic for next week's ep, of D'av and an older guy standing behind him; that older guy is Johnny & D'avin's dad.

LM must have a really good agent, seeing as he got a couple small vacations during the same season.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 4

I was a little let down by the warlord aspect but still, Gared's rescue was true Killjoys. And I kind of smiled with how tactful Dutch was with how she referenced Aneela/DSK. It's kind of weird that this BSC pairing is one of the least crazy things about Aneela (and Killjoys).   

I mostly ignore the D/J shipper tease but sheesh... they've been laying it on thick lately, haven't they? 

Anyway, the mysteries multiply. Lots of questions for only 3/13 episodes left. 

ETA:  forgot to mention the way Dutch described Khlyen being just a memory in the green now. We know what Aneela can do with a memory in the green...

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

I mostly ignore the D/J shipper tease but sheesh... they've been laying it on thick lately, haven't they?

Other than a couple moments, I actually felt that the D/J in this one kind of left me wanting - especially with no D'avin or other distractions around.  And honestly, I felt like that final scene between Dutch & YY felt more so like a nod to a possible D/D than D/J; but that may just be my pessimistic side's view of it.

Anyway, the mysteries multiply. Lots of questions for only 3/13 episodes left.

Right?  Got quite a few answers, but still so many questions.

ETA:  forgot to mention the way Dutch described Khlyen being just a memory in the green now. We know what Aneela can do with a memory in the green...

I can see that.  Especially if the recreated 'memory' is a Khlyen that is already Hullen and knows how to fight The Lady.  (or a pre-Hullen Khlyen pulled out to reunite with YY, and can be a big happy family w/ Aneela, at the very end of the series)

• Love 2

I still want to know more about Aneela's family. At first, I thought the last name Kin Rit that Aneela used was something that she created since she commanded a Hullen ship. Now, we know that it was Khlyen original last name since Yalena called him that. Where did the name Yardeen come from? Which name has been stricken from the books in Qresh, Yardeen or Kin Rit? How does being a Queen of Qresh work? I always just assumed the nine families were more or less equal with one family sometimes having more power and influence than others at times. 

Edited by Kuther2000
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Other than a couple moments, I actually felt that the D/J in this one kind of left me wanting - especially with no D'avin or other distractions around.  And honestly, I felt like that final scene between Dutch & YY felt more so like a nod to a possible D/D than D/J; but that may just be my pessimistic side's view of it.

I think it was John talking about dying together and how intimate and low key it was for a bit when they were piloting the ship.  It seemed more real to me than the blatant stuff.

D/D being anything long-term... not saying it's impossible but personally not seeing it.  When it's the 3 of them, I feel the Jaqobis brothers rivalry tends to dominate, and I like it much better when it's just teammates and friends on straightforward Killjoys type of missions. I didn't miss D'av or the kid at all and am fine with them doing some of their bonding offscreen. 

I wish they would do some novelizations. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Kuther2000 said:

I still want to know more about Aneela's family. At first, I thought the last name Kin Rit that Aneela used was something that she created since she commanded a Hullen ship. Now, we know that it was Khlyen original last name since Yalena called him that. Where did the name Yardeen come from? Which name has been stricken from the books in Qresh, Yardeen or Kin Rit? How does being a Queen of Qresh work? I always just assumed the nine families were more or less equal with one family sometimes having more power and influence than others at times. 

Well, Khlyen claimed that there are Ten families after Yalena sent greetings from the Nine families. And back in season one in episode four (Vessels) DSK talked about the War of the Nine after one family had died without heir. Maybe there once was a royal family that controlled the Nine. This would also explain DSK remarking upon the instrument on the wall of Dutch's chamber. She said it was reserved for female royals. At the time I thought it meant Dutch hailed simply from one of the Nine since the show plays fast and loose with titles but maybe it means Dutch is royalty - i.e. belongs to the tenth family that once ruled the other nine.

From their interactions I would assume Yalena was the royal and Khlyen the consort. If they both disappeared together with the heir (Aneela) a civil war could have ensued - all the families being connected each of the Nine could have claimed the throne and since nobody could win they decided upon that precarious system now in place. Or rather no longer in place thanks to DSK. But there's one powerful argument against that theory: a true queen would not just jump into a cryo-pod leaving her kingdom when it was about to fall prey to some gooey green alien entity. Ah well, now that I've spent so much time typing I might as well let it stand for others to pick apart.

Great episode - the Lucy and Johnny banter is back, yay! And I really don't care about the main ship when the show gives me so many other pairings to enjoy be they of the romantic or buddy comedy variety: Pree and Gared, Pree and Turin, Turin and Weej: 'What is love?' - 'Oh God, somebody kill me!' had me in stitches.

That said I don't find Khlyen and Yardeena quite as romantic as the writers would like me to. We are told that Khlyen had a way to destroy all Hullen just to be talked out of it by his wife because she thought it defeatist and wanted to save him and their daughter (and all the others so far infected)? And then she jumped into the pod and left him to the 'dramatic bits' with no idea whatsoever how fighting the Hullen could actually look like? How many people died or were Hullenized because of that great plan? I know we wouldn't have a show otherwise but seemed pretty lame to me.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Pree and Gared were great, too.

My favourite ship, or “ship” of the show. Also, Pree is by far my favourite character on this show. His fabulousness knows no bounds. Thom Allison is clearly having a ball.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, tessaray said:

I think it was John talking about dying together and how intimate and low key it was for a bit when they were piloting the ship.  It seemed more real to me than the blatant stuff.

D/D being anything long-term... not saying it's impossible but personally not seeing it.

That "dying together" scene was shippy, as was the first part of their 'sat down, decompressing' at the very end, before they found out that D'av & Jaq were headed to Telen, but were being chased by the Hullen in a Black Root ship.  I guess my thought of the low-key D/J in this was because I was spoiled by this season's premiere, which was purely & totally D/J shippable, from beginning to end.

Here's hoping.

• Love 2

The Pree/Turin (and Gared!) breakout was perfect.  It's pretty awesome how scenes with none of the lead characters can still be awesome.  They're really done a splendid job with the supporting cast: in particular, it is awesome how Turin started out as an one-note antagonist for Dutch and the gang, and now he's become a pretty awesome ally.  All that said, maybe I'm just mentally preparing myself for the worst, but them mentioning Gared not remembering what the Hullen did to him for the past five days, has me extremely worried that something bad has happened to him, and he doesn't know it yet.  They better not ruin Pree/Gared, dammit!

Weej can stay.  I love how Turin's style and mannerisms are clearly rubbing off on him!

Lucy continues to be the best snarky spaceship in the galaxy (well, maybe tied with Gideon from Legends of Tomorrow.)  She and John continue to be the best.

So, the mysterious lady from Dutch's dreams was actually Aneela's mom (and I guess that makes her Dutch's, kind of?  The whole thing is so crazy!), and Khylen sent Dutch to her because she has the device to takeout the Lady.  Which she gives to Dutch, but only after Dutch promises that if it has to be done, she'll kill Aneela if they can't save her.  Oh, and she still hopes she'll be reunited with Khylen.  I guess I can see the appeal, because even when he's a emotionless sociopath, Rob Stewart can still bring that charm!

And now Dutch and John are off to bail out D'Avin.  It's going to be a lose/lose for him, since even if he gets saved, he's got a dick punch waiting for him courtesy of John!

• Love 10
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

And now Dutch and John are off to bail out D'Avin.  It's going to be a lose/lose for him, since even if he gets saved, he's got a dick punch waiting for him courtesy of John!

It reminds me of when Marshall bequeathed a Barney slap to either Ted or Robin and they couldn't decide who would actually take it. My bet is Johnny will let Dutch do the honors. 

I enjoyed the episode, but, just once I want to see some actually explain a plan instead of saying that they don't want someone else along. Maybe if you said why, they could accept the reason. [side eye to Khyen]

Still, the Dutch-John interactions were fun, and Lucy seems to have forgiven John for shoving the other AI into her. And Pree/Turin/Gared/Weej plot was well done. 

Didn't miss a D'Avin/DSK/spawn subplot. I'm sure we'll get a lot of next episode. 

• Love 2

I am not even remotely ready for this season to end, I dont even want to think about it! This season has been delightful, and I found this episode to be throughly enjoyable. The stuff with the green still needs a conspiracy wall to make sense, but I think I get the basics, and, honestly, I dont really need to know everything. I know enough, and the characters are so well drawn, the writing is so sharp, and the action moves so quickly, I can just go with the flow when things get a little gooey. 

So we finally meet Dutch's...kinda mom, and I definitely see the resemblance, in bearing and in looks. Even if she isnt exactly her mom, she is certainly family, as Dutch said, and thats probably a much easier explanation than their actual connection. We seem to be getting closer and closer to answers on the Hullen, The Lady, and what Khyen is up to at any given time. I think that Khyen probably thinks what he is doing is for the Greater Good, but its hard to tell with that guy.

Lots of good Dutch/Johnny and Lucy/Johnny banter this week! Lucy has been extra sassy since she got back to normal, and I love it. And, I know that I am a pathetic D/J shipper, but some of those looks seemed very "wanna look at your pretty face before I die" a few times here and there. And when its just them, they fall so quickly into this very natural rhythm."I am a man of multitudes" "multitudes of shit." 

Also loved seeing Pree saving Gared, with the help of Turin and Weej, who are turning out to be a great combination. "He’s taking off his earrings. You have no idea how much shit your in...but its a lot." I am worried about Gared having lapses in memory, I hope that this doesn't lead to big problems later. They better not mess with Gar Bear! I know I talk about this a lot, but I really do love the supporting cast on this show, and how much time the writers spend on their development, to the point that you can have a subplot without any member of the main three, and its still really engaging and I am just as invested in it as I am in the scenes with Team Awesome Force. 

"What is love?"

"Oh kill me know...we can have human lessons later!" 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Lots of good Dutch/Johnny and Lucy/Johnny banter this week! Lucy has been extra sassy since she got back to normal, and I love it. And, I know that I am a pathetic D/J shipper, but some of those looks seemed very "wanna look at your pretty face before I die" a few times here and there. And when its just them, they fall so quickly into this very natural rhythm."I am a man of multitudes" "multitudes of shit."

In my D/J 'headspace', when Johnny left that message for D'avin and then prompted "Dutch, last chance, anything you want to say to D'avin?"....  I took the hesitation and look in her eyes while looking at Johnny as "I also want to pass along a parting farewell to the person I love, but D'avin isn't the recipient.".

• Love 2
On 9/1/2018 at 1:09 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

So I was guessing right -

Reveal hidden contents

D'avin did take Jaq to Telen, and on that one promo pic for next week's ep, of D'av and an older guy standing behind him; that older guy is Johnny & D'avin's dad.

If you really need to know: SYFY website: Sneak Peek, Season 4, Episode 8

https://www.syfy.com/killjoys/videos/sneak-peek-season-4-episode-8

52 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

In my D/J 'headspace', when Johnny left that message for D'avin and then prompted "Dutch, last chance, anything you want to say to D'avin?"....  I took the hesitation and look in her eyes while looking at Johnny as "I also want to pass along a parting farewell to the person I love, but D'avin isn't the recipient.".

Funny you should say that, because I thought that "I love you." at the end of the message for D'avin wasn't for D'avin, but for Dutch.

• Love 4
On 9/1/2018 at 5:31 PM, MissLucas said:

That said I don't find Khlyen and Yardeena quite as romantic as the writers would like me to. We are told that Khlyen had a way to destroy all Hullen just to be talked out of it by his wife because she thought it defeatist and wanted to save him and their daughter (and all the others so far infected)? And then she jumped into the pod and left him to the 'dramatic bits' with no idea whatsoever how fighting the Hullen could actually look like? How many people died or were Hullenized because of that great plan? I know we wouldn't have a show otherwise but seemed pretty lame to me.

Agreed.

Something seemed a bit off about this episode to me. It looked...cheap, for lack of a better word. All the props and set pieces looked like they found them in the SyFy warehouse. Those spears with the light bulbs on the end, a big room with just a cryo pod and small green ooze pool. Like they ran out of money or something. And what made it even harder to watch was the actress who played Yardeen. IMHO she was god awful bad.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:03 AM, Loandbehold said:

Didn't miss a D'Avin/DSK/spawn subplot. I'm sure we'll get a lot of next episode. 

I love me some Killjoys, but bringing a kid onto the show, and making them a major plot point has made me cringe. I just hope I can finish out the season (and next if he is to still be a part of the show)

48 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Something seemed a bit off about this episode to me. It looked...cheap, for lack of a better word. All the props and set pieces looked like they found them in the SyFy warehouse. Those spears with the light bulbs on the end, a big room with just a cryo pod and small green ooze pool. Like they ran out of money or something.

I've noticed that too. IMO that's part of the show's charm. Killjoys does not have the budget of The Expanse but they do what they can.

Edited by marinw