Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E03: Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Chefs Anne Burrell and Robert Irvine decide that it's time for the recruits to spread their wings. For the skill drill, they must work in teams to identify the ingredients of five mother sauces and then create their own chicken with pan sauce dishes for their chef. The main dish challenge finds the chefs teaching their recruits to make fried chicken and cornbread, and the recruits who struggle are forced to fly the coop.

All that shrieking by the contestant who wouldn't touch the chicken was ridiculous. But it was also ridiculous that they gave them chickens with the heads and feet. I have never seen in all my 59 years seen a chicken for sale with the head and feet attached.

. You would have to go to a special chicken farm to buy them like that and you know these contestants would never do that. I would never do that.

All the talking heads with the phony reactions and sound effects just makes me want to hit the mute button.

• Love 2

The chickens with the heads and feet were ridiculous.

I also hated that for the first mini challenge they only gave them 20 minutes to brown and then finish off those chicken breasts in the oven. Some of those chicken breasts looked like they were thicker than others and the thicker ones were usually raw in the middle during the tastings.

• Love 4

Producers: How do we get the contestants to scream and yell like idiots? (More than they already do.) I know! Let's give them chickens with the heads still on, under covers so we can see their reactions! Yay! 

Edited by Superclam
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, margol29 said:

You would have to go to a special chicken farm to buy them like that and you know these contestants would never do that. I would never do that.

Or just go to Chinatown.

• Love 2

I hated that Anne referred to the "crud" on the bottom of the pan, rather than telling them to deglaze and bring up the fond. She could still have explained what that meant but at least give the hamsters a chance to learn the correct terms. Oh, I forgot, this is FN, which no longer cares about teaching, just about creating reality show caricatures of humans.

I was glad to see Anne cut the creepy smiley guy and Robert cut the incompetent shrieking twit.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I hated that Anne referred to the "crud" on the bottom of the pan, rather than telling them to deglaze and bring up the fond. She could still have explained what that meant but at least give the hamsters a chance to learn the correct terms.

Oh, Christ, no, because then we'd have a montage of the hamsters mangling the word 'fond' for 2 minutes.

• Love 7

I'm not much of a cook. (not bad enough to qualify for WORST cooks).  When they did the chicken breasts in the first half, I would have liked if they had slowed down and showed more of the instructions.  Show us how to make those sauces!   Skip the hysterics and demo to the TV audience exactly how to make the dish.  Same with the fried chicken -  how long do you fry it?  Why were some using a pan of oil and some using the fryer?  More COOKING please!  One guy's chicken is greasy, one is pale - teach us what they did wrong! 

KImberly, with the long pieces of hair in the front, kept touching her hair and then touching food.  They really should have called her out on that, it's disgusting. 

AND - speaking of disgusting -   Robert Irvine takes a bite of food, shoves it over to one side of his mouth, and tells the contestant how they did - with FOOD IN HIS MOUTH!!!!!    At least Anne takes a small bite, chews and swallows first before talking.  I hate Robert Irvine anyway, but this made me hate him more.  

• Love 5

I used to really like this show, but in the recent few seasons it has become less about teaching bad cooks useful skills and more about giving wannabe celebs their five minutes of TV fame with some food mixed in.   I am not bothered so much by the lack of actual teaching - they post recipes online, and it's not like I would be jotting notes off the TV anyway - but by the excessive theatrics.  Some of the contestants are beyond annoying. 

As far as butchering chickens... for some reason, I have been afraid to butcher my own chickens until I was actually 30 years old and had to tell myself that if I passed all those lab classes where I had to be very careful and not cut muscles-tendons-nerves whatever, then I can certainly chop up a chicken where no one cares if I don't cut it perfectly straight.   So I can understand how someone can be hesitant about it, though all the shrieking was ridiculous.

• Love 2

I don’t like the drama, the theatrics, the mocking of the recruits, and the over-the-top hoops they have to go through. I consider myself a fairly decent cook, but don’t throw a whole chicken, with feet and head attached, at me. It will not end well. Teach them the basics. Apparently that is not good TV. Instead they choose caricatures of the contestants. Fail. 

On 8/27/2018 at 4:44 PM, CoyoteBlue said:

Oh, Christ, no, because then we'd have a montage of the hamsters mangling the word 'fond' for 2 minutes.

Man, I hate that. I always want to say, "How stupid are you? Just repeat the damned word already."

• Love 2

Oh man, what a HORRIBLE episode. Could you watch even one minute of it? Could you watch Shrieking Kimberly, Winner-Winner-Chicken-Dinner Copan, or playful and over-the-top Jimmy? Could you handle Robert and Anne mocking and laughing at these people? Yeesh, this show shouldn’t even be on TV.

1. All the raw chicken in the preheat challenge. Has anybody seen cooks that cook like this? Do you think raw chicken is a ridiculous mistake, or a way to learn a better cooking method?

2. The judges. Anne and Robert are thinking it is funny that Kimberly is completely afraid of birds, and so is Janese. Come on!

3. Kimberly’s reaction. What a big, phony, and terrible reaction to one dead bird! It’s a dead bird, not everybody is scared! 

4. Sarah’s reaction. “I ain’t no chicken.” She can tackle this. Do you think she would win?

5. I actually think Carla did well, and it paid off. She should own a fried-chicken restaurant one day.

6. Did you see any of these cooks wash their hands after handling a dead bird? They should have.

7. So glad Kimberly and Copan went home. Kimberly’s over-the-top shrieking was just horrible, and Copan’s chicken was enough to send him home. I didn’t think it was a winner-winner chicken dinner.

8. Anne and Robert’s popping out of popcorn cans was just simply OTT.

• Love 2