Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Happy Birthday

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, MV713 said:

That Kendrick Lamar character was great!

He was. I was skeptical at first since I'm not crazy about stunt casting, but he flowed in nicely with the story. I didn't pick up a trace of Kendrick Lamar the rapper. 

Ghost needs to get it together. This is the second time he's showed his ass in public. Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.

And yes, where is the security in Angela's building? Tommy should've been announced. 

Tariq talking about how he doesn't want any of Ghost's money? OK. That's when you get dropped off in the hood and told to survive. I really can't with him. 

• Love 6

I don't understand why Kanan is still pursuing Tariq. What's in it for him beyond leverage against Ghost if push comes to shove? Ghost or Tasha (or Tommy) would sooner kill him.

He thought about it too hard, man. And then, OMG, that crackhead eating chicken while some guy's brain matter is still spattered all over him. Kendrick killed it. I see an Emmy nomination in his future.

The wrong cake. How awful. The whole St. Patrick family is falling apart at the seam, except for Estelle. She was already pretty whacky, apparently. Debbi Morgan is making a lot of a tiny role.

Tariq has some nerve comparing himself to Raina. Will no one rid us of this tiresome brat?

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I don't understand why Kanan is still pursuing Tariq. What's in it for him beyond leverage against Ghost if push comes to shove? Ghost or Tasha (or Tommy) would sooner kill him.

He thought about it too hard, man. And then, OMG, that crackhead eating chicken while some guy's brain matter is still spattered all over him. Kendrick killed it. I see an Emmy nomination in his future.

The wrong cake. How awful. The whole St. Patrick family is falling apart at the seam, except for Estelle. She was already pretty whacky, apparently. Debbi Morgan is making a lot of a tiny role.

Tariq has some nerve comparing himself to Raina. Will no one rid us of this tiresome brat?

Kendrick was great but nobody, guest star or otherwise, is getting a Emmy or even a golden globe nomination for this show. Not even about being deserving, this show is too far the radar for people who vote for such things.

I do like how Reinna's death is flowing throughout the whole season. It wasn't just a stunt death like many people labeled it. It has lasting consequences and meaning.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

He was. I was skeptical at first since I'm not crazy about stunt casting, but he flowed in nicely with the story. I didn't pick up a trace of Kendrick Lamar the rapper. 

Ghost needs to get it together. This is the second time he's showed his ass in public. Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.

And yes, where is the security in Angela's building? Tommy should've been announced. 

Tariq talking about how he doesn't want any of Ghost's money? OK. That's when you get dropped off in the hood and told to survive. I really can't with him. 

The irony of Tariq yelling "I don't want any of your money!" and then "I'm going back to Choate tonight!" was not lost on me. Choate costs almost sixty grand a year for boarding students. Families who make $250K or less qualify for financial aid.

Also, Tariq has a lot of nerve talking shit about his father being a drug dealer when he was trying to be about that life himself. It would be one thing if he was this goody-goody solid student who was trying to succeed academically and was shocked and horrified to learn about what his father did, but he was out here robbing UES housewives. 

I bet Kendrick had a ball playing that part. I always like when I can tell when people are having fun playing roles - sure, sometimes roles are heavy (I doubt Omari Hardwick is enjoying living in James's head right now, although he may be enjoying the challenge), but when roles are campy and fun, I like to see the actors looking like they're enjoying that.

8 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Kendrick was great but nobody, guest star or otherwise, is getting a Emmy or even a golden globe nomination for this show. Not even about being deserving, this show is too far the radar for people who vote for such things.

I do like how Reinna's death is flowing throughout the whole season. It wasn't just a stunt death like many people labeled it. It has lasting consequences and meaning.

Absolutely not. If The Wire didn't get awards despite constant critical acclaim and being on a prestige network, this isn't either.

I read an interview with the show runner where she said that Reina's death would indeed have lasting consequences this season, and I like that she's sticking to her word. It would be very lazy if it didn't - losing a child violently isn't something you just get over.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Also, Tariq has a lot of nerve talking shit about his father being a drug dealer when he was trying to be about that life himself. It would be one thing if he was this goody-goody solid student who was trying to succeed academically and was shocked and horrified to learn about what his father did, but he was out here robbing UES housewives. 

Oh my gawd, I wanted to reach through the TV and slap the shit out of him.  I can't stand James, but Raina's death was not his fault.  Yeah, he's a drug dealer, but Tariq is directly responsible for her death because he's a complete dumb ass (and is continuing to be one).  He just needs to die or disappear.  Where's Thanos when you need him.  I can think of 50-80% of the folks on this show who need to be snapped out of existence.

Edited by luckyroll3
  • Love 5

When Tariq asked Tasha if she wished he'd died instead of Raina, I slowly raised my hand in the living room to say "YES!".  I was extremely happy that Tommy figured out it was Tariq who tipped off Dre and went from "Uncle Tommy" to "Hood Tommy" in 3 seconds flat.  They've somehow managed to make Tariq even more annoying than he was last season while also getting more people killed.

How many public/drunken tirades can Ghost have before he's off the project altogether?  I know he's heavily invested in it, but at some point the other investors have to say "Enough is enough", right?

Tasha and Terry got real messy in front of everybody.  BTW, this dude didn't check the cake before he left the shop?  That's negative 50 points for him.  When is Proctor going to find out about  his relationship with Tasha?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, nasir jones said:

BTW, this dude didn't check the cake before he left the shop?  That's negative 50 points for him.  When is Proctor going to find out about  his relationship with Tasha?

I asked the same question when they opened the cake box.  What in the hell?  That's the first thing you do when a cake is special ordered.  And I can't wait when Proctor finds out.  

Finally caught up with the episodes. Since I watched ep 4 & 5 back to back, I could really tell how the return on Riq the idiot sucked any enjoyment I had with the show :(  That kid is just dumber than a sack of potatoes.  Kanan grooming Riq was icky last season and it is still icky now.  Bleh!

Liked how Tommy laid it down on Riq, too bad Riq is a slow learner.  "Loyal to your own cause" HA!! Damn good summary of both father and son

That wrong cake scene was nicely done.  Tasha did order strawberry cake (instead of chocolate) at bakery, but I thought Riq just liked strawberries. 

As dumb as Riq, I could not blame him for getting mad at Ghost.  This was the 1st birthday after his daughter's death and the dude chose to do dick measuring contest at his club.   Seriously??

There is 85% probability next episode will open with James & Angela sexy time scenes :D :D :D

• Love 1