Type keyword(s) to search

BtVS in the Media

• Start Topic

Well, poop!

It turns out that one of the problems with relying on broadcast media is that they actually have to, y'know, broadcast.  I got sloppy last night, and ran out of DVR space during Inca Mummy Girl, but I was all "no problem, I've got a rerun coming up."  And then, today, FUSE goes dark for a few minutes (for whatever unknown reason) and so my copy is missing the top of Act II.

Nothing major (just missing Willow asking Ampata what New York is like, and Xander saying he doesn't like wearing lederhosen…which makes me wonder when he did, exactly?), but this is my First Episode Ever, and I'd like it intact.  Who knows if we'll get another cycle?  (Who knows if they'll complete this one?  PopTv pulled the plug after S3 the last time they did the show.). Grrr, arrgh.

And then, after making room for Reptile Boy on the overnight, I had a similar problem on Halloween. (There was an auto-record for a pre-season hockey game that took me by surprise and I ran out during Act III…while I was asleep.). So wish me better luck at 6.00 than I've had at 4.00, I suppose.

(And Hades help FUSE if they screw Monday, during their one-and-only Innocence airing.  Just saying.  I can send an angry email like nobody's business.)

I watched Buffy during it's initial run in the 1990's and have the entire series on DVD.  But, I haven't watched the series in years and years.  The cable channel, Fuse, is showing the series, which is rare because I find that hardly any cable channel broadcasts this series (as well as Angel).  So I started watching it again from the beginning and all I've got to say is, "God, this series was just so much fun to watch!?  I really missed it and it took me all of 1 minute to get completely hooked into watching the half dozen or so episodes they run each day.  It''s a shame series like this are no longer around or being done.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Linda956 said:

which is rare because I find that hardly any cable channel broadcasts this series (as well as Angel).

Angel is never shown. Comet is currently showing Buffy, however.

I found space on my DVR for all 34 of my 16mm gems from S1-S2, and about half of the S3-S4, to boot.  "Fortunately", I have less interest in what's to come, so I need no longer do so much purging.

(And I just surgically recorded only the "Spike talks himself out of heroics/the Scoobs find Giles singing" part of WtWtA, so it's good to know I can just snip a single scene without needing to grab the whole ep.  Should serve me well for wanting to have the Xillow scene from Empty Places, and nothing else.  Fingers crossed…)

Good news: apparently FUSE thinks the show is slaying in the ratings, at least enough to merit a second go-round.  My guide shows Welcome to the Hellmouth kicking things off again on Monday, November 14, at 5.00 PM Eastern.  So good news for my chances of getting Inca Mummy Girl  without that brief glitch, then.

(I suppose I should check through the other 65 or so eps I'm saving, just to make sure there's nothing else that needs a fresh copy.  It's a lot of work, but these are eps I want to see, so…get on it, lol!)

Yes, that's a bummer.  I wonder if part of the reason was that Joss only ever hired one female director, and Ellen S. Pressman's last episode was Inca Mummy Girl.

On the plus side, Sarah looks much better than she did in the Wolf Pack pictures, IMO.  Not that she didn't look attractive in those, but I couldn't see Buffy there.

Whereas this is totally still our Slay Gal:

sarah-michelle-gellar-936x527.jpg

(I grant you I'm just spoiled because Aly still looks like a Willow who's barely cracked the Dirty Thirties.  So it's probably not fair to grade on that sort of curve.)

Next rotation of BtVS on FUSE starts with Welcome to the Hellmouth, today at 2.00 PM, Eastern Time. 

And if you over-ate at lunch, well, Chosen is on right before, to help you toss those cookies.  (Yeesh, only two hours between the desecration of "The Earth is Doomed" and the original, if you're masochistic enough to want to note the contrast.)

We don't have a "Cast Appearances in Real Life" thread as TWoP did once upon a time, but I suppose if a cast member is reported by the media as being at an event, the qualifies as "in the Media", right?

So, let's reminisce:

Alyson-H-Sarah-M-G-1998-btvs-behind-the-

December 10, 1998.  Sarah and Alyson attend the premiere of Playing by Heart.

CharismaCarpenter-Alyson-Sarah-btvs-behi

March 15, 1998.  Our ladies attend the Paley Center's panel on the show.

Hey, there, 1990s people!  Let's spend a day with All My Children star Sarah Michelle Gellar!

(Courtesy of Soap Opera Digest, I'm almost certain.   Hence this thread.)

tumblr_p2k7srZApT1rf1yd3o1_1280.jpg

"I'm always on the phone with my friends!", Sarah tells us.

tumblr_p2k7srZApT1rf1yd3o2_1280.jpg

Sarah is a thinker!

tumblr_p2k7srZApT1rf1yd3o5_1280.jpg

But she's still shy!

tumblr_p2k7srZApT1rf1yd3o3_1280.jpg

She started acting at the young age of four, but now Sarah has a nice set of tits!

Er, is all grown up.  "Now Sarah is all grown up", that's what we meant.  Honest!

tumblr_p2k7srZApT1rf1yd3o4_1280.jpg

And Sarah has already won a Daytime Emmy Award!  (Unlike certain loser castmates, hehe!)  No wonder she's all smiles!

tumblr_p2k7srZApT1rf1yd3o6_1280.jpg

Whether walking around town or on her inline skates, Sarah is on a roll!

tumblr_p2k7srZApT1rf1yd3o7_1280.jpg

Someday, she may be lured by the bright lights of Hollywood.  And while we're sure she would slay them all in LA, for right now, she's all about New York, New York!

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Fire 1

"And on the tenth day of the tenth month of 1998, the Slayer shall go to the premiere of a sequel she is not in, and she shall bring a friend from work."

buffy-xander-buffy-and-xander-6836768-75

Reasonably certain we have seen this Sarah/Nick pic before, but now that I learned it is from the premiere party for I Still Know What You Did Last Summer on (as noted) October 10, 1998, I thought I would share.

I suppose Sarah went to see her old castmates, but I guess she and Freddy weren't dating yet (they don't get hitched for another three years) or why would she bring Nick?  (Not that it was a date, but showing up with another guy spells "mixed message", I'd think.)

57df0dca-fdb0-48e9-bec8-f56c884bc3ac_tex

Slate Culture Gabfest wades a bit into the Buffyverse with a discussion of Slayers, a set of podcasts written and performed by some of the minor cast members.

https://slate.com/podcasts/culture-gabfest/2023/10/is-killers-of-the-flower-moon-scorsese-at-his-best

The clip they play is pretty bad and amateurish, big contrast from how terrific the original series was.

But they go on to see some of the series through the lens of Wheadon's creepy "fantasies" about the young female cast.

I knew there were allegations against Wheadon by a couple of the former female cast members.  It makes it sound like he sexually harassed them but some of it seemed more like tyranny and creating a toxic workplace, making it stressful for Charisma Carpenter and Amber Benson.

On 10/31/2023 at 1:03 PM, BetterButter said:

Honestly, most Honest Trailers are funny, but they tend to provoke a "well, they're stretching that for the joke" or "wow, they took that out of context" at least once in the piece.  This is pretty much the best one I've seen.

Even a couple of points, about how Puberty is the Real Monster (this goes back to Teacher‘s Pet, but it's good to have it enunciated) and that it makes that since Angel is an age creeper (he fell "in love" with a virginal 14/15-year-old Buffy without even speaking to her, then went and peeped through her bathroom window that night, per Becoming, Part 1), that he would dump Buffy as she graduates high school.  No more "get the fruit while it's fresh", eh, Broody?  She's an adult now, and where's the fun in that?

And I did not know that "Dangerous", Marster's song about dangerous MT was to him (what with being all sexy and 15, what's a man to do?), had a lyric about the Trachtentoes, specifically.  Good Lorde.

Thanks.

The 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time
By Daniel D'Addario, Kate Aurthur, Clayton Davis, Selome Hailu, Alison Herman, Emily Longeretta, Jennifer Maas, Joe Otterson, Michael Schneider, Jazz Tangcay, Aramide Tinubu, Adam B. Vary    Dec 20, 2023
https://variety.com/lists/greatest-tv-shows-of-all-time/ 

40  Buffy the Vampire Slayer
The WB/UPN
1997-2003

In its moment, “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” looked like a quintessential cult-classic TV series. Today, it’s clear: The show’s just a classic. Sarah Michelle Gellar’s performance as a student and loyal friend who stuck it to vampires rather than being sucked dry by them ingrained itself in pop culture, creating a whole new archetype for the horror heroine. Allegations of on-set abuse by series creator Joss Whedon have changed how some see the Sunnydale gang. But at its best, “Buffy” is not about one man’s sensibility but the inspiring power of a singular woman. It’s a monster-fueled coming-of-age story; it’s a metaphor for the loss of innocence and teen angst; it’s a tragic romance. And it’s a common answer to “What’s your favorite TV show?” for many a grown-up whose taste was forged as a ’90s kid.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
(edited)

PGA Awards 2024: ‘Oppenheimer’ Producers Win Top Honor
By Matt Donnelly, Jordan Moreau   Feb 25, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/awards/producers-guild-awards-winners-1235919292/ 

The ceremony also saw several career achievement awards. Sarah Michelle Gellar stepped out to present super-producer Gail Berman, who made the former a star with “Buffy the Vampire Slater,” with a trophy named for Norman Lear.

“When I say that not a single person on this earth was interested in buying that television show, I mean not a single person on earth was interested in buying that television show,” Berman told the crowd at the Ray Dolby Ballroom in Hollywood. She persisted and wound up creating an iconic character that empowered young women around the world. Berman dedicated her award to the people who “lift me up when there’s barely any air left in the punching bag,” her husband and children.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Former Buffy writers and crew will discuss behind-the-scenes moments at WonderCon on March 29...

https://wondercon2024.sched.com/event/1azdz/buffy-and-firefly-behind-the-scenes 

Buffy and Firefly: Behind the Scenes

Calling all Browncoats and Scoobies! Come celebrate both shows with candid conversations and reminiscing with some of the behind-the-scenes crew that made your favorite episodes happen. Hear from writers to props people about the behind-the-scenes moments from Buffy and Firefly that made them laugh, cry, and connect with the shows that they made.

Friday March 29, 2024 6:30pm - 7:30pm PDT

Edited by tv echo