Type keyword(s) to search

Comics Questions and Info

Lisin
  • Start Topic

On 1/22/2019 at 9:28 PM, Lantern7 said:

Is there any way to get that issue without going to a Wal-Mart? There's not one near me, I'm lazy, and I am a huge fan of Gail Simone. Aside from "The Hypothetical Woman" in JLA Classified, I don't think she's written a Flash before.

Some info from the illustrator:

So it will be available in a different format eventually.

Seven stories! Nice. Good to know that the whole series will be available in one book. Hopefully, it will be easy to purchase online through DC or Amazon eventually. It might end up being a collector's item. The first Flash stories depicting an African American Iris authored by Gail Simone with Clayton Henry's art. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

The Year One arc for The Flash starts with issue #70:

THE FLASH #70

written by JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

art and cover by HOWARD PORTER

variant cover by TONI INFANTE

“The Flash Year One” starts here! Barry Allen feels helpless in his life in Central City. As a forensic scientist, he’s always catching criminals after they’ve committed their crimes. All that changes one fateful night when Barry is struck by a bolt of lightning and doused in chemicals. When he wakes from a coma, he realizes he can run at incredible speeds. Can Barry master these powers and be the hero his city needs...or will the powers burn through him?

ON SALE 05.08.19

$3.99 US | 32 PAGES

FC | RATED T

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/dc-comics-single-issue-solicitations-for-may-2019

ETA:

Edited by Trini

I just read that Barry has three children with Jessica Cruz in Justice League: Legacy. Why would DC think that this is a good idea? These random changes in characters' trajectories are exactly why I stopped reading comics.

Edited by SimoneS
5 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I just read that Barry has three children with Jessica Cruz in Justice League: Legacy. Why would DC think that this is a good idea? These random changes in characters' trajectories is exactly why I stopped reading comics.

I thought it was just one daughter - in any case, I'm pretty sure that was just a one-off alternate future arc, and not a permanent change. (Comics!)

44 minutes ago, Trini said:

I thought it was just one daughter - in any case, I'm pretty sure that was just a one-off alternate future arc, and not a permanent change. (Comics!)

I find it so frustrating. I gave up on the Spider-Man, the Justice League and eventually all comics for this very reason. Look how Gail Simone and Clayton Henry's Flash story with an African American Iris is a totally different timeline or universe from Joshua Williamson's 52 Flash.

Edited by SimoneS
(edited)

#2 of the Walmart Giant features Heatwave:

I finally found the first one at my local Walmart (it's NOT with books or magazines, it's by the registers with toys and stuff), and it's not worth the $5 a month for me personally; but the story has started out good, and the art is good. It's a good intro for new comic or Flash readers.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

I finally found the first one at my local Walmart (it NOT with books or magazines, it's by the registers with toys and stuff), and it's not worth the $5 a month for me personally; but the story has started out good, and the art is good. It's a good intro for new comic or Flash readers.

Good for you. My Walmart does not carry it. I hate Walmart anyway so I am kind of relieved that I won't be going back in there.

Saw a few pics of the #2 100-page Giant Flash; and it looks like there a bit more Iris, and she's in some of the action. I won't buy this monthly, but I'm getting more interested in the trade paperback edition... but that probably won't be out for a year. 😥

Edited by Trini
A week is different than a month!
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Was Lia based on anyone? And I don't recall any purple-clad speedsters.

ETA: Comics-adjacent: I got this sketch of Nora a few weeks ago, alongside the "first" XS, Jenni Ognats.

Cool sketch!

I don't know if she was based on her, but there is a speedster in the comics named Lia Nelson.

Spoiler

Katherine Gallagher (who plays Lia) reacted with a Yeah!!! to a tweet that said they hoped to see Lia again 'maybe as the actual Lia Nelson during Crisis Next Year'. It's probably just her being enthusiastic about the possibility, but it's interesting she didn't correct the assumption that her character is Lia Nelson

I just want to say that while I enjoy this TV show for what it is, it doesn't bear much resemblance to the Flash comics I read as a kid (back in the 60s and 70s).  I know they later wrote in the bit with Barry's mother being killed, but I had quit reading them by then.

Seeing Ralph look at the file marked "Dearborn" . . . I'm a little excited that the doof might wind up finding love next season. Here's the Wikipedia entry on Sue. I think she and Ralph were one of the first married couples in comics . . . or at least in DC Comics. Try not to go into Identity Crisis, though. You will be super depressed if you do.

• Useful 1

From the wish list thread:

On 5/20/2019 at 5:50 PM, Lady Calypso said:

There is a lot I'd love for them to do for season six:

1. More smart scientist Barry. I do genuinely miss the earlier seasons when Barry's IQ was actually higher than it is now. I'd love to see him either working on more cases or needing to use his smarts, not just his team, to solve whatever crisis he's in. Because, at this rate, he seems like he's only part of the team for his speed powers, and they forget he's fairly smart. Maybe not Cisco level smart or even Caitlin level smart, but still smarter than the average person. Or else he woudn't have been told by Gideon that he created her. 

Speaking of Barry being smart; I'm enjoying the writing for the Walmart Giant Flash comic. So far they make a point to show that Barry's powers affect him mentally as well as physically, and he typically has to think through a problem, and use science to solve it, not just speed.

Also the Bary & Iris content is cute!

The Flash 100-page Giant is getting "re-launch" with its 8th issue, which will be re-numbered to 1, and have more new content and will now be available at other comic retailers (not just Walmart, although I think Walmart is still getting them first).

THE FLASH GIANT #1 ( AUG190464)
On sale October 2
96 pages * $4.99 US
New cover by Dan Panosian

This issue includes two new stories:

• "All the Teeth, Glittering and Sharp," a 16-page story written by Gail Simone with art by Clayton Henry

Barry Allen and Iris West take a vacation, but their relaxation is cut short when their cruise ship is attacked by King Shark! Can the Fastest Man Alive save a sinking cruise ship when there's no land in sight-or will he be fish food?

• "Perfect World," an eight-page story written by Jeff Parker with art by Miguel Mendonca

Gorilla Grodd takes control of the U.S. Senate and declares war on Canada! Only the Flash is fast enough to stop him-but will he be enthralled by Grodd and his desire to create the perfect world?

Plus, these reprint tales:
• "Gorilla Warfare Part One: King Grodd," from The Flash #13
• "Rebirth," from Green Arrow: Rebirth #1
• "Blue Monday," from Blue Beetle #1

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/news/full-content-information-of-dc-comics-giant-titles-released

STL133984.jpg

So I just found out that 2020 will be the 80th anniversary of The Flash, so I'm assuming a lot more Flash merchandise, events, etc. will be happening and announced late this year, and into 2020.

For instance, a reprint of COIE #8 is coming out just in time for the crossover event in December:

CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #8 FACSIMILE EDITION
written by MARV WOLFMAN
art by GEORGE PEREZ and JERRY ORDWAY
cover by GEORGE PEREZ

Witness the final fate of the Flash! The key chapter of DC’s Multiverse-shattering miniseries is reprinted in a new facsimile edition, timed with the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover between DC’s CW TV shows. In “A Flash of the Lightning,” one of the most famous superhero death stories in comic book history, Barry Allen risks everything to save billions—sacrificing his own life to stop the Anti-Monitor’s antimatter cannon.

ON SALE 12.04.19
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES
FC|DC

--------------

And this book is coming out in May 2020: Flash: 100 Greatest Moments

L

Flash: 100 Greatest Moments
Highlights from the History of the World's Greatest Superheroes

$24.99 / £16.99
Author: Robert Greenberger
Format: Hardback, 304 Pages
ISBN: 9780785837138
Publisher: Chartwell Books
Series: 100 Greatest Moments of DC Comics

The Flash. The Fastest Man Alive. The Scarlet Speedster. Whatever you call him, his most iconic comic book adventures are celebrated in Flash: 100 Greatest Moments. 

First appearing in 1940 and represented by a slew of different speedsters, the Flash has been a DC mainstay for most of their publishing life.  He’s been part of the Justice League, Justice Society of America, and Teen Titans. Able to break the barriers between dimensions and to reverse time when he’s runs fast enough, to say that the flash is going (and has gone) places doesn’t even cover it. 

Speedsters are powered by the speed force and while there are a slew of superheroes faster than the average man in the DC Universe, the particular mantle of ‘The Flash’ has been donned by Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, Wally West, and Bart Allen. Each of them are represented with their own moments to shine and they each bring a new perspective to the character over the Flash’s decades long run.

Enclosed in these pages are 100 moments that chronicle all of the Flash’s greatest feats. Flash’s loves, his children, the allies like Batman and Superman that help him out in his time of need, the Rogues that give him the most trouble, other nefarious speedsters villains like Reverse Flash and Professor Zoom, and many more key characters are paid homage. Flash has been a key player in events like Flashpoint and Crisis on Infinite Worlds, making him integral to understanding the worlds built by DC Comics.

Although Flash has been on the big screen, syndicated television, and cartoons, a lot the iconic moments seen on screens found their origin in his comic books. Whether you need a recap (in a flash) or you’re curious about the comic book events that inspired your favorite TV and movie moments, Flash: 100 Greatest Moments will guide you through all of the Scarlet Speedster’s history:

• Flashpoint
  • Wally West winning the lottery
  • Returning from the dead
  • Marrying Iris West
  • The Cosmic Treadmill
  • Meeting Editor Julius Schwartz
  • Red Flash vs. Black Flash
  • Defeating Zoom
  • House of Heroes
  • Barry Allen fights Godspeed for the first time
  • Returning Wally West rom the Speed Force
  • Run ins with the Trickster

Lace up, strap in, and enjoy Flash: 100 Greatest Moments.

Published: May 12, 2020

Edited by Trini

FYI: The Flash Giant relaunch issue is out now at Walmart, and in the new content, Iris West is also depicted as a black woman; resembling Candice Patton.

THE FLASH GIANT #1

• "Perfect World," an eight-page story written by Jeff Parker with art by Miguel Mendonca

DC Celebrates 750 Issues of The Flash in February 2020

To celebrate a milestone in the Scarlet Speedster’s comic book run, in February 2020 DC is publishing a momentous 750th issue of The Flash with a cover by series artist Howard Porter and packed with all-new stories from across the generations and multiverses of super-speedsters. The 80-page prestige format issue debuts February 26, 2020, featuring an all-star array of top writers and artists in the Flash’s recent history.

Joining series writer Joshua Williamson for this must-have collector’s item are Geoff Johns, Marv Wolfman, Francis Manapul, Rafa Sandoval, Jordi Tarragona, Stephen Segovia, David Marquez, Bryan Hitch, Riley Rossmo, Scott Kolins and Michael Moreci. The Flash #750 also features a variant cover for each decade the character has been published, including art from José Luis García-López, Jim Lee and Scott Williams and Gary Frank.

• Love 1

Tie-in comic about the COIE crossover will feature Wally/Kid Flash:

'How The CW's 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' Is Jumping to Comics'

All of reality is threatened when the CW's superhero shows launch Crisis on Infinite Earths this Sunday, beginning a storyline that will encompass five different series — Supergirl, Batwoman, The Flash, Arrow and DC's Legends of Tomorrow — as well as multiple realities. But, as it turns out, it's even bigger than initially announced.

Two further chapters of the story will appear on the comic book page, with DC releasing a two-issue Crisis on Infinite Earths Giant series featuring familiar Arrowverse characters dealing with the threat of the Anti-Monitor on the printed page as well as onscreen. The two-part series was written by someone familiar with comic book crises: Marv Wolfman — writer of the original Crisis on Infinite Earths comic book series in 1985 — with Arrowverse executive producer Marc Guggenheim onboard as co-writer.

Each issue will feature a 24-page main story illustrated by Tom Derenick, Trevor Scott and John Kalisz, with an additional backup strip also written by Guggenheim and Wolfman, illustrated by Tom Grummett, Danny Miki and Chris Sotomayor. Both issues will also reprint material from the first Crisis on Infinite Earths comic book series, with the second issue including material from DC Universe: Legacies No. 6, from 2010.

... Finally, there's Wally West, because, again, scheduling limitations prevented the actor from being in the live action…

From DC:

Featuring an iconic cover image by original Crisis on Infinite Earths artist and co-creator George Perez, the book is expected to arrive in participating Walmart stores by December 15, 2019.

Preview of the artwork here: https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/12/06/marc-guggenheim-crisis-infinite-earths-marv-wolfman-comic-preview

• Useful 1

The Gail Simone Flash stories (with art by Clayton Henry) from the 100-page Giant issues (the ones available at Walmart) are being published in a book coming out summer 2020; early info here: http://www.penguinrandomhouseretail.com/book/?isbn=9781779502605

The Flash: United They Fall

Written by Gail Simone

Hardcover

$24.99 US

DC Comics

20 oz | 12 per carton

On sale Jul 07, 2020 | 184 Pages | 978-1-77950-260-5

Popular writer Gail Simone's fresh take on the Flash like you've never seen him before!

Barry Allen and Iris West take a vacation, but their relaxation is cut short when their cruise ship is attacked by King Shark! Can the Fastest Man Alive save a sinking ship when there's no land in sight--or will he be fish food?

Collects stories from The Flash Giant #1-7 (first wave) and The Flash Giant #1-5 (second wave)

[I don't think that's going to be the final blurb]

When these first came out the artist mentioned that a trade paperback would be published. In any case, I'll probably get this. I like the art, and the stories have been good, too.

Edited by Trini
On 1/21/2020 at 8:48 PM, Trini said:

Upcoming in the Flash 100-page Giant:

I thought she might be talking about the next Flash Giant, but the story with Ryan Choi (who is as adorable as his crossover counterpart) is in #3 that is out this week at Walmarts.

Summary about Black Hole in the comics: https://butwhythopodcast.com/2020/02/06/the-flash-everything-you-need-to-know-about-black-hole/

The organization debuted fairly recent but proved to be a major threat to the Scarlet Speedster. They’ve taken Barry to his limit, even turning several of his friends and loved ones against him. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Joshua Williamson and Carmine Di Giandomenico’s run when Black Hole became a more prominent threat. Barry’s battle against this deadly organization has been one of my favorite Flash stories in recent history. Given all of this, I wanted to take time and talk about the origin of Black Hole and explain just why Team Flash is in for the fight of their lives.

From this week’s episode thread:

18 minutes ago, Terrafamilia said:

Sue stole a diamond that contained embedded info on Black Hole. Does that make it a ... Black Diamond?

I really, really, really, really, REALLY hope not. The thought of Sue Dearbon getting any story elements from Jean Loring doesn’t sit well with me.

Gail Simone has been doing good on her Flash stories. Barry and Ryan are cute as Science Bros.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
(edited)

There are lots previews out of the special #750 The Flash issue; here one that has a gallery of the covers: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/preview-the-flash-750-spectacular-preview

To honor the 80th anniversary of The Flash, DC Comics is taking the tether off a special anthology issue, The Flash #750 Extra-Size Spectacular, an 80-page giant edition arriving Mar. 4 and featuring an all-star roster of writers and artists contributing to the Scarlet Speedster's big birthday — and SYFY WIRE has an exclusive peek into the deluxe release alongside comments by its main cover artist, Howard Porter.

The Flash #750 contains a momentous assortment of quick Flash tales from writers Geoff Johns, Francis Manapul, Brian Buccellato, Marv Wolfman, Scott Lobdell, and Joshua Williamson. Artistic duties come courtesy of Evan "Doc" Shaner, Mitch Gerads, Michael McKone, Dale Eaglesham, Howard Porter, Stephen Segovia, Rafa Sandoval, David Marquez, Scott Kolins, Francis Manapul, and Riley Rossmo.

This deluxe edition kicks off “The Flash Age,” a saga DC Comics has been aiming toward since issue #50, as a supercharged Speed Force takes its toll on Barry Allen’s life and a diabolical new threat looms on the horizon in the guise of the dreaded Paradox. Obsessed with ruining the Flash’s legacy, Paradox delivers his herald, Godspeed, to entrap the entire Flash family. Also contains a treasure of special anniversary tales told from across the various generations of super-speedsters. 

flash-2.jpg

Edited by Trini

Digital versions of the Gail Simone The Flash stories (that were in the 100-page Giants) are being released by DC: https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/04/20/dc-announces-the-expansion-of-dc-digital-first-and-the-addition-of-dc-essential

The first week of DC DIGITAL FIRST titles include Superman: The Man of Tomorrow by Robert Venditti, Paul Pelletier, Drew Hennessy, and Adriano Lucas, Batman: Gotham Nights featuring a story by Sal Giunta, Brad Meltzer, Jim Lee, Scott Williams, and Alex Sinclair with a second story by Larry Hama, Mirko Colak, and John Kalisz, Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Inaki Miranda, and Hi-Fi, Aquaman: Deep Dives by Steve Orlando, Daniel Sampere, Juan Albarran, and Adriano Lucas, Flash: Fastest Man Alive by Gail Simone, Clayton Henry, and Marcelo Maiolo, DC Super Hero Girls: Infinite Frenemies by Amanda Deibert and Erich Owen, and Swamp Thing: New Roots by Mark Russell, Marco Santucci, and John Kalisz. These series are new to DC Digital First, having previously been exclusive to DC Giants.

<...>

DC DIGITAL FIRST comics and DC ESSENTIAL READS free issues will all be available from participating digital retailers, including ReadDC.com, Comixology, Amazon Kindle, Apple Books, and more.

Note that they are starting with the relaunch #1 story, and not the actual first Simone story that was in the Walmart editions.

https://www.readdc.com/Flash-Fastest-Man-Alive-1/digital-comic/T2104600018301

Apparently the next Flash 100-page Giant is out (at Walmarts), and there's a new artist on the second Flash story, so there's yet another depiction of Iris West as a Black woman. A few scans:

• Love 2
On 5/17/2020 at 12:40 AM, Trini said:

Apparently the next Flash 100-page Giant is out (at Walmarts), and there's a new artist on the second Flash story, so there's yet another depiction of Iris West as a Black woman. A few scans:

She looks like Candice 

• Love 1

I figured something like this would happen once I saw the Gail Simone stories went straight to digital;

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/06/18/dc-four-packs-headed-to-participating-us-walmart-stores-today

DC 4-PACKS OF COMICS HEADED TO U.S. WALMART STORES NOW!

Shrink-Wrapped Collections of Recently Released DC Titles to Replace 100-Page GIANT Program

First Wave of Packs Feature Collectible Backing Boards that Join to Form the Justice League

In an evolution of DC’s strategy to bring the World’s Greatest Super Heroes to the masses, the publisher announced today that the Walmart 100-Page GIANT anthology titles will be replaced by shrink-wrapped collections of recent DC comic books from the DC universe. The first wave of titles has already begun shipping to stores and should arrive in the more than 2,900 U.S. Walmart locations by Sunday, June 21. 

Each pack of four is priced at $8.98, and includes a collectible backing board featuring a different DC Super Hero. When joined together, they form an image of the Justice League by Ivan Reis.

<...>

DC is also working to make these 4-packs available to comic book stores by September 2020.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:28 PM, Trini said:

The Gail Simone Flash stories (with art by Clayton Henry) from the 100-page Giant issues (the ones available at Walmart) are being published in a book coming out summer 2020; early info here: http://www.penguinrandomhouseretail.com/book/?isbn=9781779502605

[I don't think that's going to be the final blurb]

When these first came out the artist mentioned that a trade paperback would be published. In any case, I'll probably get this. I like the art, and the stories have been good, too.

This is now being released July 21.

The artist got an advance copy:

On 4/24/2020 at 5:51 PM, Trini said:

Digital versions of the Gail Simone The Flash stories (that were in the 100-page Giants) are being released by DC: https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/04/20/dc-announces-the-expansion-of-dc-digital-first-and-the-addition-of-dc-essential

Note that they are starting with the relaunch #1 story, and not the actual first Simone story that was in the Walmart editions.

https://www.readdc.com/Flash-Fastest-Man-Alive-1/digital-comic/T2104600018301

BTW, this^ is where DC is putting the standalone stories that would have been in the Walmart Giants. (These are the ones that have Iris West depicted as a Black woman.) There are still two stories in each issue, but the Simone/Henry run has already ended with #5.

Science-focused anthology for young readers featuring the Flash coming in 2021:

... The latest addition to the publisher’s successful middle-grade line of graphic novels, Flash Facts — named after a trope in 1950s and ‘60s Flash comics where the writer or editor would inform the reader of the real-life science behind a story point — will be a collection of short stories featuring Barry Allen’s speedster alter ego as well as DC superhero friends including Green Lantern and Supergirl, focusing on how STEM lessons taught in school impact readers’ everyday lives. Among the questions answered will be how forensic scientists solve crimes, what’s at the bottom of the sea and why polar ice melts.

According to DC, the book will align with Next Generation Science Standards.

The book will be curated by actor, author and neuroscientist Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory) and feature work from creators including Cecil Castellucci, Corinna Bechko, Vita Ayala, Dustin Hansen and Michael Northrop. Flash Facts is scheduled for release Feb. 2, 2021.

https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/flash-facts

dc_flash_facts_announce_-_publicity_-_embed_-2020_.jpg