Type keyword(s) to search

Comics Questions and Info

Lisin
  • Start Topic

More TV stuff making it into the comics: (comic *spoilers* ahead)

In The Flash #760, which came out today, Barry Allen says "We're the Flash", referring to his family of speedsters from different universes and timelines and Iris.

The specific panels on social media: https://why-i-love-comics.tumblr.com/post/627442156387401729/the-flash-760-finish-line-ii-2020-written

https://twitter.com/angelfireeast24/status/1298427043135119360

Edited by Trini

Well, nevermind spoilers, DC itself is promoting the panel:

It'd be great if some of these speedsters also showed up on the show. (the ones that haven't already)

Edited by Trini

Article about the next arc of the current Flash comics: 'Ahead of big crossovers, The Flash's new writer brings the Scarlet Speedster 'back to basics''

excerpts:

After more than 100 issues over the past four-plus years, Joshua Williamson signed off as the writer of DC Comics’ The Flash title in September, marking the end of one of the longest (and best-received) tenures a creator has had with the character. With a pair of crossovers on the horizon, the publisher was not looking for another long-term shepherd for the title. Instead, it turned to prolific TV, animation, book, and comic writer Kevin Shinick to guide the Scarlet Speedster for a four-issue interlude in October and November (the book is published twice a month).

“They pitched it to me by saying everything that could ever be done for the Flash has been done already, so if you want to take a swing at it,” Shinick tells SYFY WIRE with a laugh. The gig was always intended to be a temporary assignment before the series gets involved with “Endless Winter” in December (running through several Justice League-related books), followed immediately by another crossover event, "Future State," in January and February. “All I’m committed to at the moment is this four-issue story,” Shinick says. “I’m excited to do more if I can.” (DC has yet to announce the next ongoing writer for the series.)

With just four issues to play with, Shinick is hoping to provide an entry point for new readers. His work won’t erase anything that Williamson established since taking over The Flash at the start of DC’s Rebirth era in 2016. “I loved where Joshua was going with it, and I loved where he took it,” Shinick says. “What I’m trying to do is continue the great job he’s done, but also maybe start a little simpler. Not wiping the slate clean at all, but his run ends so [epically] that I wanted to bring it to basics again for possibly some new readers who haven’t been with Barry for a while and want to jump on in.”

The Flash’s return to basics starts with what appears to be a self-contained story — in Issue #763, on sale Tuesday, Oct. 13 — revolving around the Trickster, a member of Flash’s famed rogues’ gallery. On the anniversary of Barry’s mother’s murder, he attempts to take a day off from crime-fighting to spend time with his girlfriend, Iris West. But the break is interrupted when he realizes he’s lost the special ring where he stores his superhero costume. The new twist Shinick puts on the Flash mythos is creating an origin for the ring’s creation and how it gives Barry hope.

Clayton Henry will be handling art for the first issue, with colors by Marcelo Maiolo. Henry was supposed to stick around for Shinick’s entire run, but he was pulled into the “Endless Winter” crossover, so the remaining issues will be handled by Will Conrad and Sami Basri.

Aw, man; I thought Henry would be doing more issues.

The link also has some preview panels.

Also I'm kinda digging how the variant cover artist used this physically impossible, 'magical girl' pose that you don't usually see with male superheroes:

The-Flash-Cv763-2.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=1138

https://www.cbr.com/the-flash-763/

Crisis To Flashpoint - Celebrating 80 Years Of The Flash | Behind The Panel | SYFY WIRE

ETA: This also mentions the TV and movie portrayals of the character.

Edited by Trini

Trailer for the Flash Facts science-focused graphic novel:

It's out February 2.

https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/flash-facts

Have you ever wondered what’s at the bottom of the sea? Why polar ice melts? Or which tools forensic scientists use to solve a crime? Well, look no further!

Everyone’s favorite Scarlet Speedster is here to answer all your burning questions! Barry Allen, with the help of some of his close friends, will take readers on an exciting journey that examines everything from the vast expanse of our galaxy to the smallest living organism known to man.

Curated by award-winning actress and author Mayim Bialik, PhD, and featuring stories created by an all-star cast of writers and illustrators, this anthology aligns with Next Generation Science Standards and provides a helpful bridge between the lessons taught inside the classroom and our everyday lives.

Show *spoilers*, I guess, but this photo has been officially released to the media;

Josh Williamson reaction to the comic homage in the recent marketing poster for an upcoming new character:

• Love 1
(edited)

Recently, DC Comics collected the first twelve issues of Impulse, along with issues of The Flash from the Savitar arc. Aside from quibbling about not throwing in Bart Allen's debut (the "Reckless Youth" arc in The Flash), I can't recommend this book enough. Mark Waid and Humberto Ramos were awesome in developing Bart, hair and boots getting bigger with each issue. And you get to see him meet XS (his cousin, the time-lost Jenni Ognats) for the first time.  There's also Max Mercury, a speed-based character from Charlton Comics that Waid translated into the series. He was the perfect mentor to a headstrong knucklehead like Bart.

ETA: I forgot about the "Zauriel Cathedral" Easter egg.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Useful 1

Article at DC about the various cold/ice -based characters in the comics: https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2022/01/04/presentingthe-just-ice-league

Excerpt about (Killer) Frost, that also mentions the TV show's version:

Frost

Civilian Name: Caitlin Snow
First Appearance: The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Man #18, 2013

If any hero on this list gives Ice competition as DC’s most well-known arctic hero, it’s Caitlin Snow: the so-called “Killer” Frost. First, we should specify that Dr. Snow is technically the third character to go by that name. The first, Crystal Frost, was a student and unrequited lover of Firestorm’s Professor Martin Stein. After she died trying to absorb Firestorm’s power, she was succeeded by a colleague, Louise Lincoln, who repeated the experiment which transformed her into the ice-manipulating Killer Frost. The latest incarnation of the character first appeared in a 2013 story arc of Firestorm as one of many throwback Firestorm villains to team up against the hero, and was given her own origin in Justice League of America #7.2, a “Forever Evil” tie-in issue. But this, too, was not the Caitlin Snow we know today.

Killer Frost as the world understands her now was mostly defined by Danielle Panabaker, who embodies her as the tragic but always resourceful doctor on TV’s The Flash. Although her dark side as “Killer Frost” emerged as the show progressed, Caitlin has maintained a sympathetic footing which has allowed the character to emerge as a beloved, if conflicted, hero. So much so that after 2016’s Justice League vs. Suicide Squad in the comics, Caitlin was drafted by Batman into a new Justice League of America, where she banished the “Killer” from her name. And in ‘Tis the Season to Be Freezin’, even her old nemesis Firestorm has come to see her as a trusted ally.

New comic miniseries based on the CW DCTV shows coming in this spring. No info on the Flash issue yet.

EARTH-PRIME is a three-month, six-issue event set entirely in the universe of DC’s popular super hero TV shows. All issues are part of the Warner Bros. Television show canon, approved by CW television show producers. Each of the first five issues spotlights a different CW/DC super hero show, with the sixth issue serving as a cross-over finale.

...Subsequent issues will spotlight The CW television shows DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, DC’s Stargirl and The Flash, all written or co-written by creative talent from the shows. Each issue will also include bonus material created by cast members of The CW shows, as well as “teasers” that will provide clues to the nature of the final crossover in issue #6

I wonder if this will lead into an actual crossover next season (Fall 2022)?

DC article that attempts to explain why there are two Wally Wests: 'Who is Wallace West? (A.K.A. Why Are There Two Wally Wests?)'

The history of the Flash is emblematic of the history of DC, which is a history of legacy heroes. Not only have there been inheritors of various costumed identities, but there have occasionally been more than one hero occupying the mantles at once. <...> But Wally West is a different—and more complicated—case. After all, we’re talking about two characters with the same human name, not just the same heroic one. The story of Wallace R. West and how he relates to the original Wally West is a unique one, to be sure.

Info and art for the Flash issue of the Earth-Prime comic is out:

https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-comics-june-2022-solicitations-covers/

It's a Nora/Bart/XS/Impulse story, written by two of the newest Flash writers:

Impulse and XS burst onto the scene in 2049! When Barry Allen and Iris West go out of town for a much-needed vacation, Bart and Nora are left to stay out of trouble in Central City. With their parents gone, Bart begs Nora to let him go on patrol and really be a hero, but Nora refuses, saying it's too dangerous without Barry there. But when one of Bart's classmates at Central City University starts causing trouble, how can Impulse not leap into action?

EARTH-PRIME #5: THE FLASH
Written by JESS CARSON and EMILY PALIZZI
Art by DAVID LAFUENTE
Cover by KIM JACINTO
Photo variant cover
$5.99 US | 48 pages | 5 of 6 | Variant $6.99 US (card stock)
ON SALE 6/7/22

WPuM9E2dfNyKruL62CQiLg-970-80.jpg.webp

And the basic info for #6 is out also; written by two other Flash writers:

EARTH-PRIME: CROSSOVER #6
Written by JEFF HERSH and THOMAS POUND
Art by WILL ROBSON
Cover by KIM JACINTO
Variant cover by TK TK
$5.99 US | 48 pages | 6 of 6 | Variant $6.99 US (card stock)
ON SALE 6/21/22

A threat has been amassing forces from across time and universes. Their plan is to finally free humanity from their dependency on these so-called heroes. All these beings do is bring about pain and destruction everywhere they go, solving no issues and bringing no peace to the world. Instead, this being will bring the hero community to its knees, and finally help society reach its true potential. The Age of Heroes is over.

-----

No info yet about the bonus content from the cast.

More info on Earth-Prime #6, and cover art:

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2022/04/06/magog-makes-his-cw-debut-in-the-earth-prime-finale-on-june-21

As DC’s EARTH-PRIME crossover event spotlights the Super Heroes of the hit shows from The CW, a threat looms in the background, setting the stage for the final issue of the crossover on June 21. Today, DC has revealed the cover and title to the sixth issue of EARTH-PRIME, EARTH-PRIME: Hero’s Twilight. This 48-page finale pits DC’s television Super Heroes against Magog, making his appearance inThe CW super hero canon. First introduced in 1996’s groundbreaking series Kingdom Come, this hero hunter is bringing his deadly mission to a whole new universe of heroes.

Across time and universes, Magog has been amassing forces to finally free humanity from their dependency on so-called “heroes.” In his eyes, all they do is bring about pain and destruction everywhere they go, solving no problems and bringing no peace to the world. Magog and his allies plan to change everything and help society bring the super hero community to its knees, helping society reach its true potential, once and for all.

Featuring a main cover by artist Kim Jacinto, EARTH-PRIME #6: Hero’s Twilight is co-written by Jeff Hersh and Thomas Pound (The CW’s The Flash) with story art by Will Robson, making his DC debut.

----

I kept meaning to post a Wiki link on Tinya. In case you didn't know or hear, she's a canon member of the Legion of Super Heroes.

In last night's episode, Allegra mentioned "the blackest night." As it so happens, Blackest Night was an "event" DC Comics put out in 2009-2010. It boiled down to heroes and villains getting resurrected by Black Lantern power rings and wreaking havoc for Nekron, a "personified force of death," according to Wikipedia. It was pretty cool . . . though adapting it for the Arrowverse would be problematic given that most of the plot was tied into the Emotional Spectrum and the various Lantern corps that wielded power from there. On the other hand, one of the characters that was resurrected was Firestorm . . . and now we got evil black fire monster calling itself "Deathstorm." Maybe this plot is a test run for an adaptation of Blackest Night?

• Love 1
(edited)

Just caught the latest episode. The mere mention of “Max” has me wondering if we’ll be getting Max Mercury. Or maybe that’s just the name of one of Barry’s grandkids.

Last time I mentioned Max, I screwed up his history. He was from Quality Comics . . . the place DC got Plastic Man, the Blackhawks, and the heroes that would make up the Freedom Fighters of Earth-X.. Back then, he was “Quicksilver.” Obviously, Mark Waid needed a new name when he brought the character back in the early Nineties.

ETA: Nice bit of timing .  . . Tinya is also appearing in Young Justice on HBO Max. She’s not as annoying, but she’s been a lot less active.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 5/20/2022 at 11:40 PM, Lantern7 said:

Just caught the latest episode. The mere mention of “Max” has me wondering if we’ll be getting Max Mercury. Or maybe that’s just the name of one of Barry’s grandkids.

This show is never subtle; I'm sure Max Mercury is coming one way or another. There are other speedsters I'd like see before him, though.

Edited by Trini
d'oh! dropped word

At DC; article on Linda Park: 'The Trials of Linda Park'

You’ve probably heard the expression “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” and if that’s the case then Linda Park might be one of the strongest women in the DC Universe. While most people know her as Wally West’s wife (try saying that three times fast), Linda Park is so much more than that. Since her introduction in 1989’s The Flash #28, Linda has been a dynamic character with compelling subplots and many memorable moments. With AAPI Heritage Month now upon us, let’s take a closer look at Linda and explore some of the trials that have made her a stronger character. ...

BTW, the trade edition of the Earth-Prime mini-series came out this month; includes all six issues of the crossover:

https://www.dc.com/graphic-novels/earth-prime

The creative minds behind The CW’s hottest DC superhero shows are bringing their talents and the characters they’ve made so popular to comic books in a can’t-miss event! Set in the CWverse, the series features Ryan Wilder, a.k.a. Batwoman, making her costumed comic book debut, Superman and Lois’s first anniversary, the Legends of Tomorrow, Stargirl, the Flash, and more! While each issue focuses on a different series, a threat lurks in the background, out to finally bring these heroes to their knees! Collects Earth-Prime #1-6.

EPRIME_CE%20(Cover)_63be1d24caae63.64270

23 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Oh, wow. I read the whole series. Anyone else?

Sorry; I'd only just heard of it, after a mention about Virtue on Twitter.

'Who Are Those New Characters At The End Of The Flash Finale?'

One of those new folks we met before: Avery Ho. In the comics, Avery is the Flash of China, and she first appeared in the comics in 2016. On the show, though, we saw her in the Season 8 episode “Obsessive Impulsive Disorder” as someone working at Fast Track Labs; she returned for a phone call with Meena Dhawan in “The Man in the Yellow Tie.” Playing her was actress Piper Curda who fans might know from I Didn’t Do It and Legacies.

Next up: Max Mercury. A character from comics’ Golden Age who went by a number of names back in the day, Mark Waid brought him back for his celebrated and excellent Flash comics run of the 1990s. Trevor Carroll plays Max Mercury in the Flash finale. In addition to acting, Trevor Carroll is an award-winning director for a short film called No Reservations. He could also recently be seen on Resident Alien.

The third new “Flash” type character we see here is Jess Chambers, introduced in DC’s “Future State” initiative and also seen in the Multiverse: Teen Justice comic book series. Sometimes using the name “Kid Quick,” Jess is a non-binary character. The role of Jess Chambers here is played by Hana Destiny Huggins, who just might be the “Hana Huggins” that IMDb has a listing for whose credits include an upcoming film called It’s A Wonderful Knife.

At DC; highlights of some of the craziest moments with Barry & Iris in the comics:

'The Utter Insanity of the Flash’s Comic Book Romance with Iris West'

Barry Allen and Iris West have a complicated relationship, but there is something romantic about all the madness. It can even be seen as a testament to the strength of Iris and Barry’s love. Their romance has been able to withstand time, space and continuity chaos. As we prepare to see another iteration of their love story in The Flash this summer, let’s take a look at some of the things that made their comic book romance exciting, deranged, hilarious and yes, heartwarming. ....