Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05 White House Down

The final resolution was a little too easy, I mean, no true believers in Bennett's ranks? They all thought he was the legal President enough to fight for him, but just like that they turned on him. Still, they had to resolve it somehow, and the panicky "That's Fake News" was a nice little treat.

So the "shut down the Internet" button just turns off the DNS system but leaves the routers up? There's a lot of caching in the DNS protocol, I don't see how that would result in instant universal Internet downtime. Also, it seems like the dark net is what you would have really been trying to curtail any how. And Resist isn't operating on the dark net?

Is Alycia the only actual Resist person at Tanz HQ?

Harding doesn't strike me as a wine drinker...I suspect he prefered liquor?

• Love 2
(edited)

This felt more like a Tom Cruise/Jason Bourne action movie.

Not much blood for such a high body count. I guess Darius's one uttered word of "Senseless" was all they could spare.

Jillian got retconned into having an eidetic memory for chemistry and strings of random numbers.

Grace was this close to saying, "I killed your sister," when Harris said that trite action movie line of, "We have to go."

55 minutes ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

The final resolution was a little too easy, I mean, no true believers in Bennett's ranks?

Yeah. Just G.I. Joe Walking Dead red shirt action figure cylon puppets.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

I would be totally here for more of Darius and Harris being forced to work together. Also, I could not stop laughing at "For the record, this is the worst job I've ever had." He totally nailed that delivery.

I also thought Grace was about to tell detective whatever his name is about his sister. I feel like he's seen enough now to maybe be able to believe their side of it.

• Love 2

I do not want to know how accurate this squabbling would be if this actually happened. 

I'm starting to think maybe they should just let the meteor smack into Earth and obliterate everyone.

• Love 3

My favourite part was when they were in that super tense stand-off in the White House, everyone has their gun drawn, and all the soldiers put down their guns to check their phones. Sorry Bennett, never put your political coup in the hands of millennials. (Kidding. Please don't @ me.) 

43 minutes ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

I would be too, if Harris could be right about something, and Darius has to deal with being wrong about something, just once. :-)

I would be all over more Harris/Darius buddy cop adventures! Something cracked me up last night, I can't remember what it was now, but it was another case of Darius being good at everything and it pissed Harris off lol.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

I would be all over more Harris/Darius buddy cop adventures! Something cracked me up last night, I can't remember what it was now, but it was another case of Darius being good at everything and it pissed Harris off lol.

Harris did get some good eye-rolling in at Darius memorizing the White House plans just as a side effect of choosing and redecorating his office.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This felt more like a Tom Cruise/Jason Bourne action movie.

It is, it's becoming more of a political thriller tbh with the storylines.

My eye-roll was reserved for Alycia and her "Yeah, we put a nuclear weapon in low earth orbit and threatened to destroy the world if you didn't get your act together, but we never thought it through, and it's all your fault!"  Speaking of the warhead, is it still in orbit now that the interwebz are up, or is Re/Syst going to have a change of heart?

Somebody please put a clause in writers' contract that specifically forbids the use of "Are you alright?" in any life threatening situation.  "I just took a high velocity round in my leg, but, yeah, I'm okay."  Please.

Now all that President McKenzie has to deal with is the proliferation of the far right/far left/sovereign citizen/militia groups that have sprung up throughout the country, determined to take advantage of the power vacuum.  Meanwhile, back at Rancho Asteroid...

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Speaking of the warhead, is it still in orbit now that the interwebz are up, or is Re/Syst going to have a change of heart? 

Yes it's still up there, getting the failsafe signal it needs from the Alaska antenna now that the Internet is back up again. IIRC, Alycia didn't say anything about disabling that failsafe (really a fail-super-dangerously) mechanism...so lesson not learned?

Both Alycia and Resyst have awkward y for i substitutions in their names. Is this like a clubhouse rule? Will Liam change his name to Lyam? Will Daryus and Harrys go undercover together? :-)

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
fix a typo
  • Love 10

Well, I had bad news over the weekend, so all I asked from this episode was that it entertain me for a little while, in which task it succeeded beautifully. I don't care about plot holes or plausibility or scientific reality. I'm in it for the escapism.

So this week, I enjoyed Harris and Darius on their little adventure together - I love how Darius is just unapologetically Darius and Harris is all eye-rolly about it.

I enjoyed the little reminders that Darius has led a pretty sheltered life, really, and is a stranger to violence of any kind and is quietly horrified when he encounters it - he reacted badly to finding his friend's body last season and he reacted badly to seeing a man shot dead in front of him this week, then when Harris gave him a gun, he couldn't bring himself to try to fire it and went to use it as a club instead (bit of a change for Cabrera, who has played professional soldiers a fair bit in his career).

I enjoy how much Darius hates being vice president. He is trying very hard (for him) to live up to the responsibility, but he hates it.

I enjoy seeing an older woman (by Hollywood standards) getting to be the hero and at the centre of all the male interest - Jennifer Finnegan says this is her favourite role to date, and I can see why she's enjoying it so much!

I was amused by Darius saying 'God bless America' in his English accent!

I enjoyed Claire's brother Alonzo in this episode, plus he is also very nice to look at, to add to the other pretty men already in the show. :D

I enjoy seeing Jillian stepping up in her role as Darius's assistant (though I'd still like to know what happened to the capable Carissa from last season) - she is in over her head, but learning to swim fast, and I like that. She's come a long way from the uncertain self-published writer we first met, and I actually really appreciate that they've separated her from Liam to let her grow as a character away from that relationship, rather than leaving her as just the love interest.

I enjoyed seeing Liam and Darius talking again - they have such an abrasive relationship, always have, yet underneath it all they have come to love and trust one another, and I really enjoyed Liam's delight when his faith in Darius was vindicated.

I enjoyed how the show contrived to boil the whole of Resyst down to just Liam and Alycia for most of this episode!

Speaking of which, I enjoyed how Alycia said she was sending all the scientists down to the bunker to escape the impending nukes - but she didn't mention all the armed guards they've got watching over them. Perhaps they were left to take their chances!

I enjoy watching these characters reacting to their circumstances, each according to their own priorities and motivations and personalities, and bouncing off one another, sometimes in unexpected directions.

A fun episode. Like I said last week, I like that it is primarily a political thriller - and from what the writers have said in various articles I read going back to the very start of the show, I think that's what they always intended, the asteroid alone wouldn't be enough to build an ongoing show around. The meat of the story was always going to be in the human reactions to the asteroid, which was always going to be a political story. So yeah, I enjoyed this episode.

• Love 6
On 25/07/2018 at 7:38 AM, Llywela said:

I enjoy seeing Jillian stepping up in her role as Darius's assistant (though I'd still like to know what happened to the capable Carissa from last season) 

Nice post. I think it was said in the first episode that she had left to be with her family - because of the asteroid news. Would be good to see more of the actress - but as you pointed out, it is nice seeing Jillian in a new role, other then being just the love interest.

So Darius is all alone.

(edited)
On 7/25/2018 at 1:38 AM, Llywela said:

Speaking of which, I enjoyed how Alycia said she was sending all the scientists down to the bunker to escape the impending nukes

Haha, I wonder if they remembered to fix the air filtration system in the bunker. Alycia goes down to the bunker and all the scientists are dead. Now that would be a plot twist!

Stupid question: Hasn't the space craft that Liam wants to add the solar sail to, already been launched into space? Did RE/SYST stop them from launching that space craft?

Edited by AnimeMania
Add stupid question
  • Love 1