Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Fall Out 2018.06.25

After a nuclear incident, the secret of the asteroid becomes public, setting the world on a dangerous course. Darius, Grace, Liam and Harris must adapt to new roles in an ever-shifting landscape of fear and civil unrest.

Strong season 2 premiere, but a bit too big of a Big Bad with too many factions and minions to keep track of. Maybe Jillian can make us a spreadsheet or pie chart.

I LOL'd at Darius' swearing in and one other bit of levity after that scene, but I can't recall. Anyone else? It might have been unintentionally funny.

Aaron Douglas' scenes felt like a BSG homage. RIP, What'sHisName. We hardly knew ye.

Is there a betting pool where I can place a wager as to whether Taylor Cole's character sabotaged the Ark air? 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Strong season 2 premiere, but a bit too big of a Big Bad with too many factions and minions to keep track of. Maybe Jillian can make us a spreadsheet or pie chart.

I LOL'd at Darius' swearing in and one other bit of levity after that scene, but I can't recall. Anyone else? It might have been unintentionally funny.

Aaron Douglas' scenes felt like a BSG homage. RIP, What'sHisName. We hardly knew ye.

Is there a betting pool where I can place a wager as to whether Taylor Cole's character sabotaged the Ark air? 

I think I'd join you in that bet ! She has to be guilty-- I think I've only seen her play a "nice" girl in one thing, everything else she's always a villain. I still think she's hot, though. With that dake hair & beautiful eyes, she'd probably have me committing treason in no time. I'm weak.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It felt like they were setting up something for the character but it got cut short.

• Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Free said:

42 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It felt like they were setting up something for the character but it got cut short.

If Taylor Cole's character is the saboteur, she might have sent him tumbling to his death when he stumbled (literally) upon her (or someone else's if she's a red herring) gassing of the Ark. If so, Grace and Harris hushed up the evidence in order to prevent panic in the Ark, right? And Jillian is tasked with ferreting out the fox in the hen house, but she is not playing with a full deck—in every way that can be interpreted.

"Panic in the Ark" sounds like a Sharknado-esque movie—which is what this series might devolve into—which is fine for summer network TV fare.

We might not have Zoo this summer, but fur (or sexy man hair) will fly when Darius finds out Harris squelched key evidence—Ark panic prevention be damned!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

If Taylor Cole's character is the saboteur, she might have sent him tumbling to his death when he stumbled (literally) upon her (or someone else's if she's a red herring) gassing of the Ark. If so, Grace and Harris hushed up the evidence in order to prevent panic in the Ark, right? And Jillian is tasked with ferreting out the fox in the hen house, but she is not playing with a full deck—in every way that can be interpreted.

"Panic in the Ark" sounds like a Sharknado-esque movie—which is what this series might devolve into—which is fine for summer network TV fare.

We might not have Zoo this summer, but fur (or sexy man hair) will fly when Darius finds out Harris squelched key evidence—Ark panic prevention be damned!

I guess we'll find out later, it was a very awkward time jump that included the fastest, unintentional power grab by Darius who accidentally became VP in less than 5 days.

• Love 1

Well that was levels of stupid previously unseen. I rather like that it’s not even pretending about it anymore ‘We’re a summer show! Let’s be utterly shamelessly ridiculous!’

Another love interest seemingly dead-ends for Grace - who’s up next (and are we going to get a Darius/Jillian/Liam triangle now that the original one has collapsed on both sides). 

Bets on Harris biting it sometime in the next couple of episodes? I mean Ian Anthony Dale must have been racking up the airmiles between Hawaii and Vancouver at the beginning and if he’s staying in then no downtime between shows either.

Shady lady bartender is definitely shady. Did she (or whoever) sabotage the air supply because they knew someone at Tanz would be monitoring it and would open the bunker. Bit risky, surely.

Total waste of Aaron Douglas.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I know. Maybe they can bring him back as a hologram.

Given that 50% of dead people on this show turn out not to be dead, maybe he can come back for reals. Maybe Grace and Harris stuffed his body in a cryopod when they were trying to hide it (you know Darius would be mucking around with stuff like that) and he was retrieved and revived later.

Or he's a cylon.

• Love 4

*dances with glee* I'm so happy our show is back! And, lmao, Vice-President Tanz! It's all just as ridiculous as when we left off and I couldn't be happier.

21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Joe! It was Joe, damn it! We'll never forget you, Joe! Totally agree, that was such a waste of Aaron Douglas. 

I like to think that Darius left them in the Ark because all the annoying people were in there and the world was a better place with Jillian sealed away.

• Love 6
(edited)
11 hours ago, Tallis said:

Or he's a cylon.

Heh. Exactly.

11 hours ago, Tallis said:

Given that 50% of dead people on this show turn out not to be dead, maybe he can come back for reals. Maybe Grace and Harris stuffed his body in a cryopod when they were trying to hide it (you know Darius would be mucking around with stuff like that) and he was retrieved and revived later.

Gosh, I hope so. And given that Grace and Harris would just think it was a cooler, it could be a wonderful moment of comic relief when he pops out zombie style. 

ETA: Maybe Claire was uploaded to become a zombie before Grace shot her?

Edited by shapeshifter

I kind of wanted this to blow me over to stick with it and that didn't happen. I'm not very into the Resyst storyline, maybe if they showed way more about the financial side of their operation I'd get it more, but as it is, they are rivaling the resources of a nation or at least a Fortune 100 company, and yet one of their leaders is Harris' son. It's quite a stretch for me. And it's not like I thought they had the other storylines nailed down enough to introduce this even larger problem from Resyst. Could've done without Grace and her earnest need to unload her guilty conscience and be reminded of the problems with that. Also could've lived without the needy personal stuff from her and also Liam still giving entirely too much attention to all things Jillian. And my eyes about popped out of my head from the hard eye roll at Darius losing Tanz and becoming VP in the same breath basically. So all in all, merely meh for me at best. I'll give it another week or two, see if I'm up to continuing this summer, but I'm thinking it'll be a no at this point.

I've seen Taylor Cole in many things, and she's rarely anything bad, so I'm watching her in different projects than others apparently. That being said, she is most definitely the mole from the ark, they didn't even introduce us to another character that's still alive that would make enough sense. Sense isn't this show's strong point, but seems like a mistake to not have introduced one other person as a strong candidate for the mole in the ark.

• Love 4

I gave up on this about halfway through season 1, and I thought I would check in on season 2 premiere to see how things are going. I will give the writers credit for burning through plot points at breakneck speed. Perhaps hoping motion blur will make them easier to buy? :-)

Couple of things that irk just like last year:

- Does Darius have to be so damn good at everything. Talking down a mob, spotting a honeypot trap over another guy's shoulder, giving a speech that wins over the American people, etc. etc. I'm guessing that by making him VP the President has doomed herself, such greatness cannot be denied the Presidency.

- The Grace flashback/Claire vision thing is already super old. Please move on.

- Pretty sure that ICBMs can't put their payloads into orbit. That's way more fuel than they have. And a stable orbit usually requires multiple burns, AFAIK.

- Resist seems way too well organized. Most hacker groups can't order a pizza without internal bickering. These guys successfully blackmail all the world's governments and startup an elaborate project with everything they need known in advance?

- Still undecided about tuning in next week, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of competition right now...

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎25 at 10:32 PM, shapeshifter said:

Some candidates for that other bit of levity, aka things that made me laugh:

• Madam President to Grace and Harris, "Dare I say the situation has gotten even more complicated since last we met."
  • Darius plants Liam in front of a computer to find the back door Re/Syst used to hack the ICBMs.  "Don't even think of leaving that chair.   Jillian, you're in charge of him... and the chair."
  • He's editing the speech; Grace wants to talk.   "The speech is good..."   Nope.   "I'm sorry.  I thought the Ark was the safest…"  Nope.   Grace:  "I poured my heart out to you..."    Could there possibly be a worse time for a needy would-be girlfriend to want emotional clarity?   He's lost Tess, and his fabulous company, and he's losing his beloved Treehouse - all the things that made him so cool.  And he's losing his protégé/sidekick, Liam.  He's suddenly the VP, and he has to be the nation's reassuring Daddy.  AND he has to get control of that ICBM, AND stop that planet-killing asteroid, AND maybe figure out who sabotaged the Ark.   He can't have the talk now!!!  And even after he explains that, Grace has the nerve to get all snippy with him!   Dumb, but funny.

I've made peace with the fact that this show is messy.  I'll just enjoy the unintended laughs along the way.    With Liam closeted away with the Re/Syst group, I had hoped we'd see less of Jillian, but it looks like we'll be seeing more of her instead.   Still, I enjoyed the first season well enough once I'd made peace with the show's shortcomings.   I am curious to see where they're going to take it next.   Heaven knows,  I've been terrible at guessing that so far. 

Edited by Dezzdemona
reprasing
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mertensia said:

Was Darius's speech 100% famous quotes?

I'm not sure about famous quotes, but it certainly was a string of overused clichés in inspirational speeches.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

- The Grace flashback/Claire vision thing is already super old. Please move on.

They really do need to get off of that. I'm hoping it's a single episode problem as a reminder about the mole issue with Claire and the VP. Because I don't think Grace being haunted by this makes a ton of sense. While I get that she's not an agent or have that kind of background and she's likely never killed anyone before, this chick took a direct shot with no fumbling or hesitation to take down Claire like a pro. I'm sorry, but if they wanted her to be this haunted by Claire's death, they shouldn't have had her kill her in that specific manner. We don't need to watch the woman with the the marksmanship of an agent and the daughter of a spy suddenly be remorseful that she saved Harris' life. You'd think she killed her in cold blood with no justification the way they are portraying this.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

They really do need to get off of that. I'm hoping it's a single episode problem as a reminder about the mole issue with Claire and the VP. Because I don't think Grace being haunted by this makes a ton of sense. 

"I'm haunted by the fact that...Erica Luttrel has such a good agent...I mean, she came to the table read and I was like, 'girl, I thought you were dead?'"

-- Grace has a fourth wall breakdown

3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Heh.
I think I'm on Team Asteroid IRL—which explains why I like apocacalypse shows.

Even if the asteroid strikes, half the cast will still survive, given how death works on this show. And they'll by haunted by visions of the other half of the cast.

• Love 2

So I didn't quite manage to accurately predict how the job titles would shake out among the characters, but I knew that tweet of Tovah Feldshuh's was a spoiler and too right it was!

I am very grateful to a generous friend who has enabled me to see this episode already - good to see that the show hasn't changed, just as much absurd good fun as it ever was. I mean, I would watch Santiago Cabrera read the phone book, to be fair, but it does amuse me to see how much all the show-runners and writers he ever works with seem to adore him. He's already been First Minister of France on The Musketeers (equally unqualified for the job), so Vice President of the US in time of crisis should be a doddle!

Looking forward to finding out what more twists and turns the writers no doubt have in store - they seem to lean toward the rollercoaster style of writing, so there are sure to be shocks a-plenty still to come.

• Love 4

I have been on Team Asteroid since last season.

If you wanted to talk with someone about how one of you killed the president's top aide, you would do it while walking down a hallway full of government workers, right?

• Love 5
On 6/25/2018 at 9:32 PM, shapeshifter said:

This episode is re-airing now, and although I wasn't really watching, I did just catch the other LOL moment, and, yes, it wasn't exactly intentional: 
Something's about to blow up, and Darius says, "It's a trap!" 
Holy Admiral Ackbar, Batman Bruce Wayne Darius! 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Driad said:

I have been on Team Asteroid since last season.

If you wanted to talk with someone about how one of you killed the president's top aide, you would do it while walking down a hallway full of government workers, right?

This is the same series where Darius instantly became VP, so I guess they're either too dumb or don't care.

• Love 2
On 6/27/2018 at 1:24 AM, Latverian Diplomat said:

- Pretty sure that ICBMs can't put their payloads into orbit. That's way more fuel than they have. And a stable orbit usually requires multiple burns, AFAIK.

You are correct, not enough fuel! The "B" in ICBM is ballistic meaning what goes up must come down.

• Love 2